A Few Thoughts about the Pats Game, In no particular order

Virgil

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You make some valid points.  Here are my counter points:

1) the FA acquisitions and the money that was spent this year, was spent primarily on DL and LB - Star Lotuleilei and Trent Murphy for example.   Other players we had in place last year who contributed to taking us to the playoffs and who were signed to reasonable deals elsewhere, were moved on from.    When we get gashed in the run game as badly as we got gashed today, there is reason to be concerned we did not make good choices.

2) the ST play is awful - AWFUL.  We routinely dress among the most players for ST.  The penalties, the mistakes, the poor punting - it does not look like a well-coached unit.  Beyond the punter, that isn’t an issue of talent, it’s an issue of discipline and proper coaching.

3) Same goes for the persistent awful penalties.  We do not play like a well disciplined, well coached team.

Great points all.  

We need to shore up the run defense, it was clearly woeful today.  They need to get some meat in the middle of that line who can gum things up. Latulelei clearly didn't bring it today.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but we are not going to win if we can't stop the run. We definitely miss Milano in there

Special teams has been woeful.  Hauschka has been money for most of the year and I loved how Bolden attacked the ball and just busted up field as quickly as he could today, not dancing around.  Crossman has been great for years, I'm not sure what is going on this year.

One of the reasons we made the playoffs last year is that we went from being 22nd in the league in penalties to 10th in the league.  I think this year we have taken a big step backwards.  I don't know how much of that you can blame on the youth of the roster, but it is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

I still think a lot of the issue is our young, cheap roster and that should get better over the next two years.  Fingers crossed...

Edited by Inigo Montoya

This should have been a statement game for McD and co and they sure made a statement about how completely unprepared they were. It was like watching a game from the 1950s when teams would play each other and not have any film or scouting on their opponents and every play was a surprise.  Except of course the Pats seemed to have done their simple homework on how to beat Josh Allen and destroy our vaunted defense.  The Pats completely schooled us on the running game and McD made no adjustments to stop it. We went into this with an incredibly cautious game plan. No tricks, no misdirections, no disguises, just plain old vanilla offense.  And despite all this incompetence in preparation, we forced the Pats into 3 turnovers! The Pats were practically gifting us the game and despite all the advantages we still didn't convert anything into Tds until late.  The final straw for me was watching Hauschka get trotted out for FGs when he is obviously hurting. His Fg attempt that hit the bar looked so unlike the normal kicking power he has. Which begs the question, with nothing on the line why aren't you shutting Hauschka down for the season? Why use him if you know he is not at 100%.  About the only ray of sunshine in this 60 minutes of excrement was that the refs didn't screw us over too badly as they usually do (except for the bizarre block in the back penalty on our OWN Kick which of course SEE BS didn't show a replay on. Overall, another embarrassingly easy win for the Pats in the Brady era.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It is so hard to be optimistic at all about the Bills looking ahead three years.  You can't let your team get so piss poor at so many positions.  My problem with the team is that there is no way they can make enough needed improvements in one or two years.  They have some okay aging players to replace too like Kyle Williams and Alexander.  And their scouting sucks!  For example, I don't care how fast Edmunds is - the best MLB are never rangy guys - they are always spark plugs.  Plus they drafted him too young - you can tell he's athletic but you couldn't tell if his football IQ was high enough.  He consistently makes poor decisions.  He'll have to move outside.  Not totally opposed to the pick but you NEVER trade up for anything but a sure thing and he was far from it.  We needed so many players at so many spots and we are wasting picks to move up?  If we are 12-4, 11-5 and need someone to get over the hump maybe but we are so far away from good it's not funny.    

Problem is I have no confidence in the GM or coach so far.  They have sucked so far at building a team and have gone backwards so fast how are they possibly gonna address all the crap areas - from WR, OL, TE, ST, LB - in one offseason?  I try so hard to be hopeful but it is tough finding any hope when every team in our division has a lot less holes to fill.  How are we to leap frog them?  I do like Allen though and he's a very entertaining player to watch.  He is just playing with the worst tools in the league so I feel sorry for him. 

Edited by timtebow15

3 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

You did well.   Geez good thing you simmered for a few hours.

The Pats WILL fall a little further each game now, and our team is on the rise.

In other news, Shaq Mason RG gonna be a free agent.  I watched him a lot today, strong dude, plays low n nasty run blocker.  Doesn't look big but he seemed to have a great game.

Shaq Mason is NOT becoming a free agent he signed a 5 year extension...   (just an FYI)

to the original poster the Pats have a waiting list so long they can fill the stadium a second time, but most regular fans (like me) are prices out because well the tickets are way way high..

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

273 yards rushing for the Patsies.  That and the drops pissed me off the most.  I don’t know if I agree completely with Allen as BB has torched rookie QB’s for over 15 years.  Not an excuse, but he still has a lot to learn.

A lot of those yards you can blame on 47 and 52.   The Patriots ran at them all day successfully.   Very smart decision on their part.   And Lorax has lost 2 steps not 1.   He has excellent instincts, but lacks the physicality to execute what he knows he needs to do.   Wish he could pass his instincts on to Edmunds magically.   Maybe then Edmunds would be good.

What the Bills needed today was a healthy starting defense like they had a few games ago.   And - some receivers who don't suck.   If they had that, they win that game today even with the mistakes they made.    And I think they would have won handily.   The reason I say that is because if they could have ever got the lead, especially early, the Patriots would have gotten away from the run.  And this had the makings for one of Brady's worst games ever if they could have just forced the Patriots to be one dimensional - throwing.   Those early big runs gave the Patriots the confidence to just keep pounding it on the ground.

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

8 - Daboll - Yup, you're in here too.  You actually have some speed in Foster and McKenzie and you can't have then run underneath routes at all?  You threw deep to Foster in the sun, but then didn't later as the game went on?  The Pats stacked the box and had NO SAFETIES back on quite a few plays and we are tossing slant-out routes?  Are you kidding me?  I was really hoping to see some adjustments after the Pats did it a few times, but nope.  You've done well recently Daboll, but today...not so much.

After watching today's game I don't know how on gods green earth any Bills fans can be happy with this year play calling. Today was the epitome of what Daboll has been doing all season long when the team gets behind in points. Puts the entire offense on the rookie QBs shoulders to carry it. 

Rookie QBs have never had good games in Gillette stadium and even second year phenom Patrick Mahomes didn't do so well there this season. Yet this Bills OC calls for 41 passes. 

If the offense needed 5 yards for a first down this OC wasn't going to call a 6 yard out or a hitch, a screen and instead he would call for a mid to deep pass which is what he has been doing all year. This with a rookie QB no less, with a bad line, with a bad receiver corps.

Bottom line the Patriots did to Buffalo exactly what the Bills should have done to them. The cheaters ran the ball 47 times to Buffalo's 18 and Ford was getting a 4.7 yard per carry average he was being treated like he was Shady as he was only called on for 7 carries all game long. Meanwhile, like a microcosm of most of the season Daboll ignored the run game and asked the rookie QB to carry the offense by asking him to throw 41 times. 

As bad as Allen was today he was better then Tom Brady who finished with 13 of 24 for 125 yards 1 TD, 2 TDs a 48.3 RTG and the Bills still lost.

When will this franchise hire a head coach who can beat Tom Brady... even when he is at his worst? 

57 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Shaq Mason is NOT becoming a free agent he signed a 5 year extension...   (just an FYI)

to the original poster the Pats have a waiting list so long they can fill the stadium a second time, but most regular fans (like me) are prices out because well the tickets are way way high..

You'll be priced back in when Brady is gone.

The Redskins used to claim to have hundreds of thousands of people on their season ticket waiting list.............it was mainly a ploy by the team to get the existing customers to just keep paying up without a fuss.

Who were these guys playing defense today ? ... I can't remember seeing a worse display of tackling than I saw today. Brady beat us and beat us bad by doing the easiest thing a QB can do ... he handed the ball off all day.

The offense we knew would suck, it usually does. We have no one who can run the ball except for Allen. We have nobody on this team that gets paid to catch a football who can actually catch a football, and our line couldn't block their mothers, much less NFL players.

Our truly unspecial teams unit is the worst group of players in the entire league.

I don't see how Crossman or Castillo can be back next year and if they are McClappy needs his head examined.

Today's debacle was to a man, pitiful.

Just now, frostbitmic said:

Who were these guys playing defense today ? ... I can't remember seeing a worse display of tackling than I saw today. Brady beat us and beat us bad by doing the easiest thing a QB can do ... he handed the ball off all day.

The offense we knew would suck, it usually does. We have no one who can run the ball except for Allen. We have nobody on this team that gets paid to catch a football who can actually catch a football, and our line couldn't block their mothers, much less NFL players.

Our truly unspecial teams unit is the worst group of players in the entire league.

I don't see how Crossman or Castillo can be back next year and if they are McClappy needs his head examined.

Today's debacle was to a man, pitiful.

Did you deep down expect they’d win at the Pats?

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Brady didn’t attempt a pass over 20 yards today. Yet McDermott and Frazier respected his arm. Brady is done and the Pats will get killed in the playoffs. This is the last year for NE. 

We have a young core and need improvements on the oline WR and Dline. 

They won in a cakewalk without even looking 20 yards downfield?

how is that a bad thing?

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

how is that a bad thing?

That's probably the saddest thing.  Brady had a very bad game. Gronk had a nightmare game.  Edelman had a bad game.  And yet they won in relative ease. Erase the garbage time TD by the Bills and that was the actual game.  The Bills and Allen have a very long way to go.

5 hours ago, Idandria said:

The one thing I noticed was the lack of penalties. A few weeks ago we were penalized every other play. This game flowed well. Nice to see an improvement there I guess. 

The zebras grabbed the opportunity to appear impartial since the Bills were finding creative ways all on their own to gift the Pats this game.

The worst part is that they win the division yet again, but truly are on a downhill slide and this one feels cheap—any competence by the Bills today would’ve been enough to win, that’s how mortal the Pats have become.

Oh, and we should probably plan to pencil in a practice session for special teams sometime this week? Just a friendly suggestion from the ghost of Christmases past, when the Bills were actually feared in this department. Maybe Tasker could guest coach this week, and give Crossman’s overworked brain a well deserved time out?

5.  McKenzie drops 20 yard pass for 1st down. Foster loses 80 yard td in the sun. Croom fumbles 30 yard reception near the goal line.  Qb Logan Thomas drops perfect 30 yard td pass at the pylon. Add all that up and Josh has an amazing day. These wr's and te's are a joke and don't even belong on an nfl roster.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

That's probably the saddest thing.  Brady had a very bad game. Gronk had a nightmare game.  Edelman had a bad game.  And yet they won in relative ease. Erase the garbage time TD by the Bills and that was the actual game.  The Bills and Allen have a very long way to go.

The last minute loss of a Josh Gordon damaged the Pats passing game, so they went to the ground

giess the Bills missed the memo on possible changes 

8 hours ago, PolishDave said:

A lot of those yards you can blame on 47 and 52.   The Patriots ran at them all day successfully.   Very smart decision on their part.   And Lorax has lost 2 steps not 1.   He has excellent instincts, but lacks the physicality to execute what he knows he needs to do.   Wish he could pass his instincts on to Edmunds magically.   Maybe then Edmunds would be good.

What the Bills needed today was a healthy starting defense like they had a few games ago.   And - some receivers who don't suck.   If they had that, they win that game today even with the mistakes they made.    And I think they would have won handily.   The reason I say that is because if they could have ever got the lead, especially early, the Patriots would have gotten away from the run.  And this had the makings for one of Brady's worst games ever if they could have just forced the Patriots to be one dimensional - throwing.   Those early big runs gave the Patriots the confidence to just keep pounding it on the ground.

You forgot to include 98

There is a difference in how the NE approach the fans in the stadium experience. Unlike New era , the Pats front office does not want heavy drinking,drunk fans and people passing out or fighting in the stands. If you are obnoxious, you lose your season tickets.

They can do this because they have a large season ticket waiting list! Compare that to what happens at New Era field!

13 hours ago, row_33 said:

how is that a bad thing?

McDermott played a terrible defense. Unfortunately the league is living in the past. If Belichick coached against Brady I think he would say ‘ let’s see if you can win with your arm’. Stack the box take away slants and see what Brady has. I think Brady is done. My opinion and could be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 5 weeks later...