Tremaine Edmunds: He was the worst player on the field Dec 23 (vs NE)

BADOLBILZ

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Im done arguing with you.  Younprobably cant ever tell me his stats on the year.  He has been very effective against the pass.  Statistically he has had a good year.  He has made a few mistakes.  No point in talking to a wall.

...good...it finally worked.......

• Haha (+1) 1

So what every one is saying is we don't know how to draft and foolishly waste valuable draft pics we desperately need by trading up. And our HC is too stubborn to move a player to a position he should have been in in the first place.  And we all trust that "process" because past performance does not matter, since the future is always brighter. You just have to wait and believe and everything will magically get better.

Not that our front office scouting and player selection staff and our coaching staff just suck.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dabills21 said:

I'll also point out, that everyone should go back and watch some replays, if you're available to.

You'll notice double digit run attempts that the Pats motioning WR or TE "crack" down on the outside defender and leave Wallace to make a 1-1 tackle outside...which I admit that Wallace has shown promise in coverage, but he really needs to improve his tackling.   And the jet sweeps...ive never seen a defense so incapable of stopping this.  The Bills defensive ends and OlBs did not adjust to this at all.

Like many have said, not having Milano really hurt.  I think we can appreciate him a little more after this poor effort.  The Bills lack of depth at LB really hurts.  When you have to start a rookie UDFA and an aging (who is best suited as a sub package player, not fulltime, in Zo) this is the outcome.

Again, go ahead and say the unit played horribly...dont single out a player, 1 of 11.  These are the moments that we wish that we could fast forward 1-2 years and say "I told you so"...but don't worry I'll be here waiting and ready to bring this back up

Speaking of which - no one is even talking about it but Shaq Lawson might take second place for worst player on the field on Sunday - our first round “edge setter” was an absolute disgrace.  Not sure what he’s good at besides tipping passes at the line.

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Speaking of which - no one is even talking about it but Shaq Lawson might take second place for worst player on the field on Sunday - our first round “edge setter” was an absolute disgrace.  Not sure what he’s good at besides tipping passes at the line.

He didn't play well Sunday but Shaq had actually had a good season. Not justifying a first round pick good but certainly a major step forward on his first and second year. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't play well Sunday but Shaq had actually had a good season. Not justifying a first round pick good but certainly a major step forward on his first and second year. 

Agreed he added value - question is what the price is for the second contract - does he want to be paid like a “first round pass rusher” or will he take “edge setter” money?  The spread will be huge.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Agreed he added value - question is what the price is for the second contract - does he want to be paid like a “first round pass rusher” or will he take “edge setter” money?  The spread will be huge.

I don't think anyone will give him the former. 

On 12/23/2018 at 5:07 PM, NewDayBills said:

Edmunds should be our SLB/situational pass rusher. Need a MLB.

Agreed.

With his size, length and explosive traits, he seems better suited for the edge. 

He doesn't have the instincts to play inside. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Agreed.

With his size, length and explosive traits, he seems better suited for the edge. 

He doesn't have the instincts to play inside. 

And the aggressiveness to take on blockers and shed them. 

I think Edmund's at best could end up being a decent MLB, he lacks the instincts.

But I believe he could end up being an All-Pro OLB.  Let him rush the passer, cover TE's, drop back in zone coverage.  If you lessen his responsibilities and just allow him to focus on those things he will flourish.  

MLB is one of those positions that you either have it or you don't and I don't think he has the instincts to be top tier.  I hope they truly evaluate him during this off season and address it.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/24/2018 at 2:43 PM, John from Riverside said:

I always get concerned when I see a MLB standing next to a tackle after the play is over and not IN on the tackle......

That’s been the case the entire season. He appears completely adverse to punishing the ball carrier. Not a good trait for a MLB. And at his young age he should want to hit EVERYTHING. It’s only after ten years in the league (see Shady) that he should be shirking contact.

Im just going to play devil's advocate here.  Is there any situation at all where we wont decide a players future within a 1 season time frame?  Apparently TE is done as a MLB even though he is super young and a rookie so idk how much more of a leash a player should be allotted. Some are still certain JA is a bust. But is there any situation where we wont set a players fate in stone after 1 season of review?

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Im just going to play devil's advocate here.  Is there any situation at all where we wont decide a players future within a 1 season time frame?  Apparently TE is done as a MLB even though he is super young and a rookie so idk how much more of a leash a player should be allotted. Some are still certain JA is a bust. But is there any situation where we wont set a players fate in stone after 1 season of review?

Nah, we want instant gratification and if we can't have that, instant certitude that usually amounts to OBD is stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/23/2018 at 3:59 PM, ScottLaw said:

Just wait until he's 21!

Thats when everything changes!

It's not some arbitrary age that he hits that will make him better. It's about being young and his body still developing physically.

Look at guys like Vander Esch, who have two years on him in age. You just have to give the guy time to develop, if they don't, then you move on from him when his rookie contract is up.  

I swear, people on this board just think that if you aren't a HOF player your complete trash. They think that if a rookie doesn't come in a light the world on fire he is a bust. Hello, a lot of guys struggle as a rookie and turn it on later in their careers. 

On 12/25/2018 at 4:58 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

No way he gets big money. Lawson has come around, but he's not a difference maker and never will be.

Wonder if there's a team out there that sees "potential" in the former first round pick and would do something crazy like give us a 3rd. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:54 PM, BillsSB2020 said:

I wish Ruben Foster would a had a pair of those shades when the ball got lost in the sun.? It seems to be that Edmunds is a fresh faced rookie and the expectation is that it will all slow down for him next season. Perhaps they need a run plugger for the middle and a jackrabbit out of the backfield to shore up the middle areas but those guys are usually available on the open market. 

I think you mean Robert

On 12/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

When they drafted him I didn't believe the talk they were going to try to move him inside and figured they'd move him back in TC.

His ceiling as an outside matchup piece was very high.    

I would never waste a first round pick on a MLB.............you don't need a great one and they are readily available elsewhere...........if that means I gotta' live without a Luke Kuechly on defense so be it.

As Bandit mentioned in the gameday thread...........they'd be better off with Stanford in the middle right now and he's a journeyman special teamer.  

Except in McDermott's scheme, linebacker is the most important position on the field.  You make that a priority when it is that important to your scheme.  Just because you can find players outside of the first round too doesn't mean you shouldn't take one in the first. You can find players of every other position outside of the first too but that doesn't mean you don't take that position in the first.  You take the best player no matter the position.  Best Player Available. 

On 12/23/2018 at 4:57 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

He was awful today.

Worst player on the field.

He's been poor most of the season and I think today was on par with or as bad as he's been all season.

Critically poor instincts........big target who can't get off blocks.........not strong or physical enough.......poor leverage........doesn't move well thru traffic........doesn't make plays in a scheme where he should be making a ton of them.

He's young........yeah........but this isn't the QB position.......good MLB's are almost without exception tremendous right out of the gate.

Don't be surprised if he's at OLB next season folks.

It’s not A game you pass judgment on but the season.  

JMO

6 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Except in McDermott's scheme, linebacker is the most important position on the field.  You make that a priority when it is that important to your scheme.  Just because you can find players outside of the first round too doesn't mean you shouldn't take one in the first. You can find players of every other position outside of the first too but that doesn't mean you don't take that position in the first.  You take the best player no matter the position.  Best Player Available. 

Your take is wrong on many levels, IMO.

First.......the best coaches can adapt their scheme to the personnel that they have or that they can most easily acquire.   If McDermott's defense requires a "white whale" like Kuechly the same way Rex's required a uber-brilliant safety in Jim Leonhard........then it's probably not really sustainable.   The good news is I don't think it does.........the MLB gets a ton of "opportunities" in this defense but they don't have to be great.   Preston Brown lead the NFL in tackles in 2017.   He was by no means a chief reason their defense had issues in that Jets/Saints/Chargers stretch in 2017.

Second......contrary to your highlighted claim to the otherwise......it's not good policy to draft BPA at any positon in round one...........it's wiser to acquire BPA at the league's most expensive/valuable/impactful positions that you just can't fill in free agency because they don't become available unless there is a major concern about them.

You can *sometimes* can find a LT or stud pass rusher or shutdown CB or #1 WR outside of round one..........but you can always find RB's, LB's and S's all over the draft.

Rule of thumb.....if the top players at that position wouldn't get $15M+ per on the open market.........pass on them in round 1.

RB's and safeties don't get that........and neither do dedicated MLB's.   Not even Kuechly.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Your take is wrong on many levels, IMO.

First.......the best coaches can adapt their scheme to the personnel that they have or that they can most easily acquire.   If McDermott's defense requires a "white whale" like Kuechly the same way Rex's required a uber-brilliant safety in Jim Leonhard........then it's probably not really sustainable.   The good news is I don't think it does.........the MLB gets a ton of "opportunities" in this defense but they don't have to be great.   Preston Brown lead the NFL in tackles in 2017.   He was by no means a chief reason their defense had issues in that Jets/Saints/Chargers stretch in 2017.

Second......contrary to your highlighted claim to the otherwise......it's not good policy to draft BPA at any positon in round one...........it's wiser to acquire BPA at the league's most expensive/valuable/impactful positions that you just can't fill in free agency because they don't become available unless there is a major concern about them.

You can *sometimes* can find a LT or stud pass rusher or shutdown CB or #1 WR outside of round one..........but you can always find RB's, LB's and S's all over the draft.

Rule of thumb.....if the top players at that position wouldn't get $15M+ per on the open market.........pass on them in round 1.

RB's and safeties don't get that........and neither do dedicated MLB's.   Not even Kuechly.

Preston Brown had tackles, sure but he didn't do much else.  He didn't force turnovers and wasn't a factor in pass rush.  He was also a liability at times against the pass.  Keuchly makes tackles, plays the pass well,  forced fumbles and lives in the backfield.  Brown's impact on the field didn't even come close to what Keuchly does.  Just because he lead the league in tackles doesn't mean he was very impactful.  If the player has a chance to be a top three player at their position no matter what they play, (leaving out positions like K, P and fullback) then you take them. 

I don't think the Ravens regretted taking either Ray Lewis or Ed Reed.  There are several players I could list at both positions that were absolutely worth a first round pick.  

As for running back, Saquon Barkley is close to 2,000 yards from scrimmage with 14 touchdowns.  He could be a top three running back over the next ten years, so could Ezekial Elliot.  These guys carry their teams.  They are elite.  You take the best player.  Elite players, no matter the position can make a huge difference.  

Avoiding certain positions in the first round is a poor strategy by a GM.  You take the best players that fit what you are trying to do.  Drafting is hard enough because there are so many busts even in the first round.  Taking draft positions off of the board in the first round only decreases your chance of finding an impact player.  

Edited by Buffalo30

11 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Preston Brown had tackles, sure but he didn't do much else.  He didn't force turnovers and wasn't a factor in pass rush.  He was also a liability at times against the pass.  Keuchly makes tackles, played the pass well,  forced fumbles and lives in the backfield.  Brown's impact on the field didn't even come close to what Keuchly does.  Just because he lead the league in tackles doesn't mean he was very impactful.  If the player has a chance to be a top three player at their position no matter what they play, (leaving out positions like K, P and fullback) then you take them. 

I don't think the Ravens regretted taking either Ray Lewis or Ed Reed.  There are several players I could list at both positions that were absolutely worth a first round pick.  

As for running back, Saquon Barkley is close to 2,000 yards from scrimmage with 14 touchdowns.  He could be a top three running back over the next ten years, so could Ezekial Elliot.  These guys carry their teams.  They are elite.  You take the best player.  Elite players, no matter the position can make a huge difference.  

Avoiding certain positions in the first round is a poor strategy by a GM.  You take the best players that fit what you are trying to do.  Drafting is hard enough because there are so many busts even in the first round.  Taking draft positions off of the board in the first round only decreases your chance of finding an impact player.  

Yours is the old school mentality that gets beaten in this century.......waiting 20 years for another RB to "carry" his team to a SB victory?

Back when Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were drafted I was on board with that kind of BPA at any position take.......the game was a lot different then......but the game today is primarily about QB play and affecting QB play.

Those positions are pretty well defined and they get paid top dollar because that's the difference between winning big and not.

So it's great for your fantasy team that your RB put up 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 14 TD's..........but that's not how games are won and lost in the NFL anymore.

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

I don't follow. Did we take the one position McDermott desperately needed to fit his scheme or did we take the BPA. I'm fine with either provided we got a good one, but you can't have both. I find it very convenient if the BPA was trading up for a MLB

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yours is the old school mentality that gets beaten in this century.......waiting 20 years for another RB to "carry" his team to a SB victory?

Back when Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were drafted I was on board with that kind of BPA at any position take.......the game was a lot different then......but the game today is primarily about QB play and affecting QB play.

Those positions are pretty well defined and they get paid top dollar because that's the difference between winning big and not.

So it's great for your fantasy team that your RB put up 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 14 TD's..........but that's not how games are won and lost in the NFL anymore.

Talk to the 2018 Ravens brutha. Winning football takes all shapes and sizes.

We can herald the end of the running game and see Marshawn Lynch win a SB (and several other teams with more defense than offense) very reactionary to call 2 years the new wave of football.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

5 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I don't follow. Did we take the one position McDermott desperately needed to fit his scheme or did we take the BPA. I'm fine with either provided we got a good one, but you can't have both. I find it very convenient if the BPA was trading up for a MLB

Well Edmunds was the top player on the board along with James at the time the pick was selected.  Beane said it himself that it's rare to find the best player on your board also be a need at the time you select.  That's why they traded up...

15 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Well Edmunds was the top player on the board along with James at the time the pick was selected.  Beane said it himself that it's rare to find the best player on your board also be a need at the time you select.  That's why they traded up...

I don't understand the definition of BPA if tradeups are called for. That means he's not AVAILABLE. Manning was BPA and we needed a QB. Why not trade up.

I'm sure Edmunds was good value and all where he was. He obviously was their favorite MLB and they needed and MLB and thus traded up. I'm sure Beane sugarcoated the decision by saying it was BPA + need. He needed a MLB. I seriously don't think he considered more than 2-3 positions for his version of "BPA"

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't think linebackers, safeties and running backs effect QB play?  I'd love to get a QB's opinion on that.  You don't think an elite safety or linebacker effects what a QB does with the football?  You don't think that an elite running back can take the pressure off of a solid QB and open up opportunities for him?  You're crazy if you think they don't impact QB play. 

Running backs are being implemented more into the pass game now, some are even getting 1,000 yard receiving seasons.  The game surely has changed and each position has changed as well.  Elite players at any position can take over a game.  

Elite safeties can have 5-7 interceptions in a season.  They are the players that the QB must move with their eyes down the field.  Again, just silliness to say that they don't effect the QB.  Good safety play can ruin a game for a QB.  

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I don't understand the definition of BPA if tradeups are called for. That means he's not AVAILABLE. Manning was BPA and we needed a QB. Why not trade up.

I'm sure Edmunds was good value and all where he was. He obviously was their favorite MLB and they needed and MLB and thus traded up. I'm sure Beane sugarcoated the decision by saying it was BPA + need. He needed a MLB. I seriously don't think he considered more than 2-3 positions for his version of "BPA"

It's not like Edmunds fell he was right where he was supposed to be at that time.

Edmunds was widely considered a top ten pick in the class.  The analysts talked about him and James "falling" in the draft when we drafted him.  Also, you have to look at last year's draft class and what was considered the strengths of that class. Linebacker was one of the major strengths of the class in the first round.  This year the strength is up front on the line.  That wasn't the case last year.  It wasn't considered a great wide receiver class nor was it a great cornerback or offensive line class. 

I don't blame Beane for wanting to trade up and get one of the MLB in a solid MLB class.  Hopefully, the kid improves moving forward and earns the selection.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Talk to the 2018 Ravens brutha. Winning football takes all shapes and sizes.

We can herald the end of the running game and see Marshawn Lynch win a SB (and several other teams with more defense than offense) very reactionary to call 2 years the new wave of football.

Well.......in perspective the Ravens are just 9-6........if they lose this weekend they are probably out of the playoffs again so not really what I mean by "winning big".

Defense can still win a championship but it has to be a suffocating pass defense...........like Seattle or Denver.

Baltimore has the pass rush and they have invested in those CB's but it's going to be a tough row to hoe winning 3 games and 2 on the road.    

You really think Baltimore is going to win the SB?

As for the running game...........RB's are still available all over the draft and they are pretty replaceable.

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

don't blame Beane for wanting to trade up and get one of the MLB in a solid MLB class.  Hopefully, the kid improves moving forward and earns the selection.  

Yeah I didn't realize Edmunds was a top 10 prospect. Hope so too!

I am concerned about Edmunds, and surprised a 19 year old was projected that high. I prefer MLBs that can buy a beer legally. 

If we claim his age as an excuse for not meeting expectations and expect him to get better as he gets.. older?.. we're admitting he's far from a sure thing. I wouldn't draft a 19 year old personally waaaaay too much that could go wrong.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Edmunds was widely considered a top ten pick in the class.  The analysts talked about him and James "falling" in the draft when we drafted him.  Also, you have to look at last year's draft class and what was considered the strengths of that class. Linebacker was one of the major strengths of the class in the first round.  This year the strength is up front on the line.  That wasn't the case last year.  It wasn't considered a great wide receiver class nor was it a great cornerback or offensive line class. 

I don't blame Beane for wanting to trade up and get one of the MLB in a solid MLB class.  Hopefully, the kid improves moving forward and earns the selection.  

You are just blowing hot air now.........I didn't say Edmunds was a reach..........I made that pretty clear in this long thread but you jumped to that conclusion because I don't like his poor play at MLB.

As I've said about a dozen times.........love his potential as an edge player.    

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I just can't get down with that line of thinking. You're not gonna blame Beane if Edmunds doesn't pan out because the linebacker class was "considered" a strength? He gets paid to make proper decisions and doesn't get mulligans because draftniks thought it was a great LB class. 

It's also prudent to draft premium positions if they grade out similarly to non premium positions. QB's, LT's, WR's, DE's and CB's should always take precedent. That doesn't mean you don't draft a guard or a safety if they happen to be superior 95% prospects. I'm sure the Colts are happy with their selection of Nelson. Nevertheless, it makes fiscal sense to get players at premium positions on rookie contracts.

5 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Yeah I didn't realize Edmunds was a top 10 prospect. Hope so too!

I am concerned about Edmunds, and surprised a 19 year old was projected that high. I prefer MLBs that can buy a beer legally. 

If we claim his age as an excuse for not meeting expectations and expect him to get better as he gets.. older?.. we're admitting he's far from a sure thing. I wouldn't draft a 19 year old personally waaaaay too much that could go wrong.

I agree the age is concerning.  However, they believe they can mold him and his great physical gifts.  Same goes for Allen.  Hopefully, both improve.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well.......in perspective the Ravens are just 9-6........if they lose this weekend they are probably out of the playoffs again so not really what I mean by "winning big".

Defense can still win a championship but it has to be a suffocating pass defense...........like Seattle or Denver.

Baltimore has the pass rush and they have invested in those CB's but it's going to be a tough row to hoe winning 3 games and 2 on the road.    

You really think Baltimore is going to win the SB?

As for the running game...........RB's are still available all over the draft and they are pretty replaceable.

For sure. Ravens are my dark horse in the playoff race along with Texans. Waaay too many unbalanced teams in the AFC while the Ravens are running train. Btw they've been crushing it with Lamar taking place. Dude has like 1 loss. That running game and defense is steam rolling teams right now and arguably the hottest in the league.

Dude seriously? I'll bet my Flutie flakes Baker gets pummeled to a pulp in a convincing loss. Ravens going to run train on the Browns there's no question!

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are just blowing hot air now.........I didn't say Edmunds was a reach..........I made that pretty clear in this long thread but you jumped to that conclusion because I don't like his poor play at MLB.

I was responding to and quoted someone else, not you...

Edited by Buffalo30

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's replying to me lol

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

I was responding and quoted someone else, not you...

Gotchu

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I just can't get down with that line of thinking. You're not gonna blame Beane if Edmunds doesn't pan out because the linebacker class was "considered" a strength? He gets paid to make proper decisions and doesn't get mulligans because draftniks thought it was a great LB class. 

It's also prudent to draft premium positions if they grade out similarly to non premium positions. QB's, LT's, WR's, DE's and CB's should always take precedent. That doesn't mean you don't draft a guard or a safety if they happen to be superior 95% prospects. I'm sure the Colts are happy with their selection of Nelson. Nevertheless, it makes fiscal sense to get players at premium positions on rookie contracts.

I didn't say I wouldn't blame him if the guy doesn't pan out.  Please read carefully.  I said I don't blame him for trading up for a MLB which clearly was a position of strength in the first round in that class.