Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think this is a brilliant move. While nobody around the league was looking, the Bills locked up their QB position for the next few years...and without breaking the bank. In the hit and miss world of backup QBs the team has a not-so-old veteran, with a seemingly great attitude, who can help mentor their young starter. Well done! 

I agree.  And the arguments about his resume would apply equally to Nick Foles 18 months ago.  No reason Barkley could not do the same thing here as Foles in Philly.  If he does half as much, he's a fine backup.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it is more of a "dont have to cover your eyes" trotting a rookie or Peterman out there for a game or 3 next year.

It isnt huge...but it is smart

The real question here is do you actually know the definition of huge?

17 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Good move! Josh Allen has said many times how much Barkley and Anderson have helped him.

I say re-sign Anderson to a similar deal and focus on other areas going forward.

I suspect this will end Anderson's run here - you don't need two of these guys.

Edited by BobChalmers

54 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think this is a brilliant move. While nobody around the league was looking, the Bills locked up their QB position for the next few years...and without breaking the bank. In the hit and miss world of backup QBs the team has a not-so-old veteran, with a seemingly great attitude, who can help mentor their young starter. Well done! 

Exactly right.  We should not underestimate the value of taking "QB" off the plate with respect to off season efforts.  This will free up the Bills organization to focus like a laser in improving this team.  Given the cap room that will be a full time job this winter/spring.    Remember for every potential impact free agent out there you also have a Kelvin Benjamin.  We need the front office to be clear eyed as they spend all that money. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

I suspect this will end Anderson's run here - you don't need two of these guys.

Anderson went out and threw the ball around going nowhere, losing and getting a concussion. Barkley went out and threw a bomb, won the game going away, and is still smiling and having fun. You be the judge!

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like the decision. Barkley feels like a good fit for that role. 

Agreed.  The two QBs seem to have developed good chemistry and you can tell Barkley is totally rooting for Josh.

9 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

Maybe one game was premature, maybe it wasnt, but Barkley seems to fit well with the team and it gives us a guaranteed option as a backup for two years.  If worse came to worse and Barkey wasn't a good backup, I am pretty sure the terms of the two years contract wont cripple the team if he was cut.   I think it is a good move overall

it seems premature, except when you look at the backup QB situations around the league. The bar is really low and someone who actually performed well, even just once, is something to react to.

9 hours ago, QCity said:

I'm in this boat as well. I don't even consider him a serviceable backup. He played well and completed his ducks in a victory against a 2-win team that quit on their coach, so I sort of get the excitement from fans that have never seen him play before. But, If this guy ever has to come in for 6 or 7 games he might win one or two. Maybe.

What backup QB would win more games?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

What backup QB would win more games?

Fitz.  His problem is that he keeps getting into situations where he's named a starter, which he isn't capable of doing on a regular basis.  He's arguably the best backup quarterback in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Exactly right.  We should not underestimate the value of taking "QB" off the plate with respect to off season efforts.  This will free up the Bills organization to focus like a laser in improving this team.  Given the cap room that will be a full time job this winter/spring.    Remember for every potential impact free agent out there you also have a Kelvin Benjamin.  We need the front office to be clear eyed as they spend all that money. 

....sure it is his 5th team in six seasons......but perhaps he finally found the right one.....similar to McCarron, but he wanted to start (allegedly)......he's content being a back up and in the bullpen if needed......his one year deal was $790,000 pro rated to $418,235.............maybe he gets 2 yrs, $5 mil with $2 mil guaranteed....his Bengal's deal was 2 yrs, $3 mil with $250,000 guaranteed, so I'm probably way off.........

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Fitz.  His problem is that he keeps getting into situations where he's named a starter, which he isn't capable of doing on a regular basis.  He's arguably the best backup quarterback in the league.

Fitz is 2-5 as a starter with the Bucs this year.

17 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Does anyone know the contract details? My guess is something around 5 mil/year. 

You never know how a California boy will adjust to live in Western New York but it seems as though Matthew has really taken to it swimmingly,.

The fact we don’t know yet typically means it’s not a lot of Money. Usually the agent gets the numbers out really quick when it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

The fact we don’t know yet typically means it’s not a lot of Money. Usually the agent gets the numbers out really quick when it is. 

Maybe more like 5 mil for both years. Not a huge deal. Just somewhat curious. You make a good point regarding the lack of publicity.