Any “unique” sandwich ingredient combinations?

NoHuddleKelly12

Have you ever been made fun of for a sandwich you’ve created because the ingredient combinations don’t make sense at first glance? 

I’ve got several, which is why I ask...butter, peanut butter and honey was my first creation as a youngster, and I graduated to mayo, cheese & salsa (nuke it to melt the cheese, yum!!). There are more, but I want to hear from you! Needless to say my wife who is very anti-normal sandwiches, is constantly amazed at my creations, and not in a good way. I say don’t knock it till you’ve tried it ?

As a kid, I ate bologna-and-jelly sandwiches. I don't know what compelled me to make one in the first place, but for some reason I liked the combo. I probably stopped eating them when I decided against a life of celibacy. (Either that or I just realized that they're gross and I was only eating them because it raised eyebrows.)

Today, I like PB&Js, and if we have a bag of tortilla chips that are down to the crumbs, I'll sprinkle in a layer of those. They add a nice texture, and the saltiness enhances the flavor of the PB while it complements the sweetness of the jam. My wife thinks it's a little weird, but so far, so good in the no-celibacy department. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Peanut butter and cheese

Fried bologna with tomato, lettuce, mayo, and mustard 

Avocado with guacamole (think about that for a minute)

The first one sounds off, even by my out there standards, but I’m not judging. #2 sounds great! 

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

As a kid, I ate bologna-and-jelly sandwiches. I don't know what compelled me to make one in the first place, but for some reason I liked the combo. I probably stopped eating them when I decided against a life of celibacy. (Either that or I just realized that they're gross and I was only eating them because it raised eyebrows.)

Today, I like PB&Js, and if we have a bag of tortilla chips that are down to the crumbs, I'll sprinkle in a layer of those. They add a nice texture, and the saltiness enhances the flavor of the PB while it complements the sweetness of the jam. My wife thinks it's a little weird, but so far, so good in the no-celibacy department. ?

Chips in sandwiches period is a can’t miss, esp. Doritos

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

Avocado with guacamole (think about that for a minute)

A standard recipe from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Here's one of my favorites: Avocado on whole wheat toast with a slice of cheese, topped with Sriracha mayo. When they're in season, throw on a slice of garden-fresh beefsteak tomato.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Chips in a sandwich is pretty common.  Putting the chip crumbs in a sandwich is genius!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PRBills said:

Not unique, but people usually look at me sideways when i eat toasted tomato sandwiches...

Sliced tomato, salt, pepper & mayo on toast... Mmm

I eat tomatoes in season by themselves . Love em

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Have you ever been made fun of for a sandwich you’ve created because the ingredient combinations don’t make sense at first glance? 

I’ve got several, which is why I ask...butter, peanut butter and honey was my first creation as a youngster, and I graduated to mayo, cheese & salsa (nuke it to melt the cheese, yum!!). There are more, but I want to hear from you! Needless to say my wife who is very anti-normal sandwiches, is constantly amazed at my creations, and not in a good way. I say don’t knock it till you’ve tried it ?

.......The “Maroney Bologna” sandwich ......now old, moldy and stale......

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Can’t say. Never kissed him after he ate one. 

Only before? I can see why that onion might scare you off! 

As a kid I went to a friend’s and his mom asked what I’d like for lunch. I said jelly and mayonnaise sandwich. She called my mom to check, and my mom said “hey, if he asked for it, give it to him”. Thanks mom, I’m pretty sure I was looking for a PB&J, but I ate it and it stuck for a while. Don’t judge. 

I later moved on the dill pickle spears, cheddar cheese and yellow mustard. Again, that phase lasted a good while. 

Now I just eat whatever you guys give me at a tail gate.   ?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Not so much the sandwiches, but the garnishes.  Italian dressing, peppercorn ranch, vinaigrette all can take a blasé burger or cold cut sandwich and give it an edge.

Thousand island brushed on some baked tilapia, broiled to a nice crisp??

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Once I come back from the shed, all combinations are on the table.  .....I do like to put this on most sandwiches though 

91WkO4pQYvL._SY355_.jpg

This looks good?

As a kid i would put cream cheese and peanut butter on a soft tortilla shell & roll it up... Guess thats kind of unique 

Edited by PRBills

An issue of the ‘Old Farmers Almanac’ years ago featured an article about growing, harvesting, and processing horseradish.  The author recounted seeing an elderly neighbour put peanut butter, cheddar, onion, and a healthy dollop of horseradish on a sandwich.  The geezer claimed it warded off most maladies.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

An issue of the ‘Old Farmers Almanac’ years ago featured an article about growing, harvesting, and processing horseradish.  The author recounted seeing a elderly neighbour put peanut butter, cheddar, onion, and a healthy dollop of horseradish on a sandwich.  The geezer claimed it warded off most maladies.

my pops ate an onion and mustard sammy ..or what he called a "Hoover Steak Sandwich" ( teen years were during the depression), every week and claimed it was a big reason he never caught a cold. 

Once a month or so he would add Limburger cheese to it..oh my

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

you probably shouldn't 'nuke' mayo.

jus' sayin...

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

you probably shouldn't 'nuke' mayo.

jus' sayin...

Oh there’s lots of stuff you probably shouldn’t do lol, but 10-15 secs to get the cheese going doesn’t do the mayo any harm in my experience...like I said, this is not about anything normal with sandwiches ?

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Oh there’s lots of stuff you probably shouldn’t do lol, but 10-15 secs to get the cheese going doesn’t do the mayo any harm in my experience...like I said, this is not about anything normal with sandwiches ?

next time you have mac salad, pour some Country Sweet on it. something 'bout that sauce and mayo.....

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

my pops ate an onion and mustard sammy ..or what he called a "Hoover Steak Sandwich" ( teen years were during the depression), every week and claimed it was a big reason he never caught a cold. 

Once a month or so he would add Limburger cheese to it..oh my

My father used to do Limburger on his sandwhiches. I thought he was just trying to make me go away. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Holy moley with these combos. If I didn't know better, I'd swear at least half of you were pregnant. ?

Don’t kid, I’m late. 

• Haha (+1) 1