R.I. P. 41

Rest in peace. I never voted for him. I was a staunch lefty when he ran against Dukakis, and by the time he was running for his 2nd term I had begun to adopt my 'upset the apple cart' attitude and voted instead for Perot (I would have voted for Clinton but decided against it when he said he smoked weed but 'didn't inhale'). That decision was based 100% his going back on his "no new taxes" promise. 

Times change, and so does a person's personal philosophy. In retrospect, I have come to respect 41, and despite his faults and the valid criticisms of his policy, I wish his family the best during the passing of their patriarch.

RIP Mr Bush. :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

After they way the Bushes campaigned against our current president, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have a lesser opinion of them.  But I do respect the way both of them refrained from all things politic after they were out of office, so I'll keep that stance, and wish him well in the afterlife.

21 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

After they way the Bushes campaigned against our current president, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have a lesser opinion of them.  But I do respect the way both of them refrained from all things politic after they were out of office, so I'll keep that stance, and wish him well in the afterlife.

So, how is it that the Bushes campaigned against current president, but at the same time "refrained from all things politic after they were out of office"?  Does not make sense..

Either way, a hell a lot more respect for GH, than his son.  RIP.

Edited by Buftex

1 hour ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Let's be fair. Trump did run against JEB (among other republicans, obviously), and Trump's abrasive (to say the least) campaign style would invoke the ire of any politically dynastic family whose member was running against him. Trump tore JEB a new one. His family is understandably angry with him.

For the moment I'm setting aside the Bush family/uniparty/establishment/swamp dynamic and cutting them some slack for why they would have a beef with president Trump.

And for the record, in my opinion we haven't yet had a president who I wouldn't wish well in the afterlife.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

Let's be fair. Trump did run against JEB (among other republicans, obviously), and Trump's abrasive (to say the least) campaign style would invoke the ire of any politically dynastic family whose member was running against him. Trump tore JEB a new one. His family is understandably angry with him.

For the moment I'm setting aside the Bush family/uniparty/establishment/swamp dynamic and cutting them some slack for why they would have a beef with president Trump.

And for the record, in my opinion we haven't yet had a president who I wouldn't wish well in the afterlife.

All very true.  I guess I just think of Trump differently, non-politically.  Maybe unfairly, as he's certainly political now, but he's not  the normal politician.  Bufftex called me out above, and rightfully so  The Bushes were silent as ex-pres's on policy issues, as I'm sure he knows (and observed, as they never spoke out about anything).  But they were defending their own Low-Energy guy from the family, so they did have to 'speak out' in that regard :P

I think Bufftex probably knows what I meant, but whatever

7 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

I wonder if trump will stay out of politics after he leaves office :lol:

Yet another vet from WW2 is gone. Fewer and fewer left :( 

First president I ever voted for. Absentee ballot while in the Air Force. I use to get laughs impersonating him for friends in the service. 

He and Reagan basically talked the Soviet Union to death. They took Gorby on tours of US and Bush just asked him, "Why don't you just let the Germans hold elections?" He finally agreed to and the Cold War ended. That was a great under the radar moment in world history.

I was in Panama for the build up to the attack there, but not the actual shooting. I had just left the service when the Gulf war was going to start. He only served four years but a lot sure happened in those years. No real surprise he lost going for Reagans fourth term. 

He he seemed like a good, decent man, a good politician and someone who belongs to a different age really. RIP old man, you have really left your mark on the world in many ways. I'm sure Jimmy Carter will be joining you soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

All very true.  I guess I just think of Trump differently, non-politically.  Maybe unfairly, as he's certainly political now, but he's not  the normal politician.  Bufftex called me out above, and rightfully so  The Bushes were silent as ex-pres's on policy issues, as I'm sure he knows (and observed, as they never spoke out about anything).  But they were defending their own Low-Energy guy from the family, so they did have to 'speak out' in that regard :P

I think Bufftex probably knows what I meant, but whatever

I have a much larger issue with the Bush family. Their reaction to attacks (retaliatory, preemptive whatever) on Jeb the Docile were understandable.  However, I would assume the friendship with Clinton and Obama Inc would not be possible if they viewed those relationships in the same context.  Those individuals ripped, scraped, tore and clawed at the eyes of their other son, leaving a scorched earth in their wake, accusing him of crimes against humanity and of sacrificing American lives for a phony war based on manufactured evidence.  Somehow that all seems ok now.  Michele an W are fast friends now.  Bush the elder and Bill the Humidor guy were part of a coalition of old guys who get each other, maybe brought together by a shared interest in young woman they might put their hands on. 

So, my read is pretty simple.  Establishment is establishment, and you can say whatever you want about whomever you want, because their personal and political ambitions differ slightly but meet in the middle on what can best be illustrated on a Venn diagram of corruption. 

I voted for both bush, then more bush, but by the time Jen came along, I realized that sometimes too much bush can be a bad thing. I feel dirty just typing this but more the life of me don't know why.

That said..HW was unfairly characterized as a wimp, and his service record was impeccable. 

My sister just sent me the poem she read when they spread his ashes last week. I asked her to send it this morning before I heard of Bush’s passing. 

Death is Not the End

Death is not the end

But the beginning 

Of a metamorphosis.

For matter is never destroyed 

Only transformed 

And rearranged – 

Often more perfectly.

Witness how in the moment of a caterpillar’s death 

The beauty of the butterfly is born 

And released from the prison of the cocoon 

It flies free.

-- Peter Tatchell

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Yet another vet from WW2 is gone. Fewer and fewer left :( 

First president I ever voted for. Absentee ballot while in the Air Force. I use to get laughs impersonating him for friends in the service. 

He and Reagan basically talked the Soviet Union to death. They took Gorby on tours of US and Bush just asked him, "Why don't you just let the Germans hold elections?" He finally agreed to and the Cold War ended. That was a great under the radar moment in world history.

I was in Panama for the build up to the attack there, but not the actual shooting. I had just left the service when the Gulf war was going to start. He only served four years but a lot sure happened in those years. No real surprise he lost going for Reagans fourth term. 

He he seemed like a good, decent man, a good politician and someone who belongs to a different age really. RIP old man, you have really left your mark on the world in many ways. I'm sure Jimmy Carter will be joining you soon. 

there are those who might say that if it wasn't for Ross Perot, Bush would have had his second term.

as a couple of others have  expressed here in this thread, i don't wish to besmirch him in the time of his families grief, so i will simply wish him well in the next portion of his journey.

Edited by Foxx

I don't understand all this "we have to honor someone we never knew, who I suspect of criminal activity, who held beliefs completely contrary to mine,  etc"...I'm not damning him to hell, but why am I somehow obligated to publicly declare my condolences? Or not speak of him in a bad light?

I had the Honor of meeting him when he was VP obviously many moons ago and can say most stories about him now, of being humble, with a great sense of humor are true. 

I have always disagreed with his politics as too centrist, but as a Patriot, family man, and just a human being, we should all strive in life to have his "faults"

RIP 41

PS... Never met W... But always thought of Jeb as a pompous ass.... 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I'm far from perfect, and am grateful for any prayers you send my way.

that said, I won't mourn the death of global elite who lived their lives to cast an evil pall over the world.

Wow.  Yea, George H.W. Bush obviously lived his life to cast an evil pall over the world.  You conspiracy clowns really nailed that one.  Right up there with John McCain being an AQ supporter.  Nice work wedged up there in your own rectums!

18 hours ago, Foxx said:

there are those who might say that if it wasn't for Ross Perot, Bush would have had his second term.

as a couple of others have  expressed here in this thread, i don't wish to besmirch him in the time of his families grief, so i will simply wish him well in the next portion of his journey.

Some people have argued that Perot hurt Clinton more than Bush, idk. 

Al Gore getting under Perot skin about NAFTA was funny, though. 

"Ronan Tynan, the Irish tenor, had called earlier in the day to ask if he could drop by, and when he showed up, [he was asked] to sing to the president."

"Mr. Tynan sang two songs, the first 'Silent Night' and the second a Gaelic song. As he sang 'Silent Night,' [former secretary of state, James A. Baker III said], 'Believe it or not, the president was mouthing the words.' Mr. Baker held Mr. Bush’s hand and rubbed his feet for nearly a half-hour...."

From "'I Love You, Too': George Bush’s Final Days" (NYT).

On 12/1/2018 at 7:21 PM, TakeYouToTasker said:

I'm far from perfect, and am grateful for any prayers you send my way.

that said, I won't mourn the death of global elite who lived their lives to cast an evil pall over the world.

You're such a gigantic jackass. 

'Hey everybody, look at me! Somebody died, and I'm spitting on them! Know why? It's because I'm sooo smart. Look how smart I am! Tell me I'm smart?! Please, TELL ME I'M SMART?!' 

That's how what you write reads, incel. 

What a gigantic jackass.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

You're such a gigantic jackass. 

'Hey everybody, look at me! Somebody died, and I'm spitting on them! Know why? It's because I'm sooo smart. Look how smart I am! Tell me I'm smart?! Please, TELL ME I'M SMART?!' 

That's how what you write reads, incel. 

What a gigantic jackass.

Bush sr was a douche. Not as big of douche as McCain. But a douche. Obama is a ***** terrorist. When he dies that preemptively allows me to talk *****.  I expect the deep State will have him dead before too long to protect the narrative.