Embarrassing sports admissions

Ridgewaycynic2013

When the Sabres first came into existence, the play by play man was Ted Darling.  I was astounded that he had a seat map and good enough eyesight to proclaim "There's a shot over the glass, into the crowd, and a souvenir for a young boy from Crystal Beach, Ontario".  This naiveté has served/cursed me well into my golden years.

You're next.

• Haha (+1) 2

Had trouble sleeping Saturday nite, got up at 6, drove to the game from Rochester. Admit I slept through Jacksonville's first touchdown and woke up just in time for their second. Hey, at least I was awake for the comeback game and didn't leave early!!

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

When the Sabres first came into existence, the play by play man was Ted Darling.  I was astounded that he had a seat map and good enough eyesight to proclaim "There's a shot over the glass, into the crowd, and a souvenir for a young boy from Crystal Beach, Ontario".  This naiveté has served/cursed me well into my golden years.

You're next.

Not sports related, but when I was a kid in the 1970s there was a Corner Store about to open in our neighborhood. The sign went up with the slogan, "Open 7 days 'til Midnight."

I actually asked my dad, "Why would they go through all of that trouble to build a store that is only going to be open for a week?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Of course we all know about our QB Billy Joe Hobert who when inserted for injured Todd Collins stated he barely looked at play diagrams for plays against P*ts.  Real good recap.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19971017&slug=2566549

"The Bills didn't care that Hobert swore on the airwaves. They didn't even care that he played poorly in his first relief action, completing 17 of 30 passes with two interceptions.

"But when Hobert admitted that he barely studied for the Patriots, didn't know what receivers to look for on certain plays - the very job he is paid to perform - their question was answered: `We can't win with this flake as our No. 2 quarterback.'

"Strictly speaking football, Hobert's honesty was refreshing. But honesty doesn't exonerate guilt."

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You're next.

Since the Aud was on the smallish side, he didn't have to see that well.

• Haha (+1) 1

I once went to a football game in the Carrier dome... Syracuse versus UConn. We got really, really cheap seats in the UConn visitor section, which was in a corner of the end zone.  Whenever Syracuse made a good play, my father-in-law would stand up and cheer, and the UConn fans would give us a death glare. I didn’t really care, but my high school age son was pretty embarrassed. 

May not be what you're after, but...

A few years back I coached a youth flag football team. It wasn't a league in which you tried out. You just got put on a team.

Our team was terrible, but everyone got to be involved and get hands on the ball as a running back or receiver. We had one kid who was meant to keep the water chilled. Jumbo and simply unable to understand his role in any capacity. We always gave him a running play, and his flag inevitably was pulled at the moment he realized a football was in his hand.

Our last game of the season, after calling Jumbo's number in a running play, the coach from the other team came over and said to run the play again and his guys would give Jumbo a chance to, y'know, feel like he could play. So we run the play, Jumbo lumbered up the middle like Fat Albert on meth, and the entire opposing team turn into the keystone cops as Jumbo ran the length of the field for a TD. Everyone cheered and celebrated and high-fived, and it was just one of those feel good moments to end the season.

At the post-game party, Jumbo's mom came up and wanted know why we didn't realize how good Jumbo was and waited until the last game to let him show his stuff.

I thought she was joking. She wasn't. I shouldn't have laughed, but I did, and when I realized she was serious, well...y'know...kind of embarrassing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am man enough to admit, I actually rooted for the Patriots in the Super Bowl in 2002...Bradys rookie year.  I thought it was a great story, hated the Rams, and had no earthly idea that it would usher in the most miserable years in my 45+ years rooting for the Bills.?

Edited by Buftex
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I am man enough to admit, I actually rooted for the Patriots in the Super Bowl in 2002...Bradys rookie year.  I thought it was a great story, hated the Rams, and had no earthly idea that it would usher in the most miserable years in my 45+ years rooting for the Bills.?

Brady wasn’t a rookie in that SB

• Like (+1) 1

It wasn’t me, but it was hysterical.....and a family classic! When I met my now wife her sister came to visit. Ballet was her thing, and she had no clue about sports. She went to watch my wife’s bank softball team play and it turned out a few people had conflicts. They needed ONE more person, and through some crazy power of persuasion, she agreed to fill in so they didn’t have to forfeit. 

They hid her out in right field, but eventually she had to step up to bat. Through some minor miracle, she eventually managed to make contact with the ball. She knew enough to begin running towards first base so she lumbered in that direction. Well before she arrived she stumbled a bit, which caused her to appear to attempt a head first slide into first base. She came to a screeching halt about 2 feet before arrival......and waited there on her belly until someone arrived to tag her out. 

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

I've rooted for Brady in most of his Super Bowls.  Zero shame.  I always want the most deserving team to win and they usually were.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I once went to a football game in the Carrier dome... Syracuse versus UConn. We got really, really cheap seats in the UConn visitor section, which was in a corner of the end zone.  Whenever Syracuse made a good play, my father-in-law would stand up and cheer, and the UConn fans would give us a death glare. I didn’t really care, but my high school age son was pretty embarrassed. 

Another Carrier dome story...My wife graduated from Syracuse and was there at the time the dome was built.  She told me about some birds who got trapped inside and survived.  When she told me that they migrated from the north end to the south every winter I said "wow, that's cool!"

• Haha (+1) 3

13 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

May not be what you're after, but...

A few years back I coached a youth flag football team. It wasn't a league in which you tried out. You just got put on a team.

Our team was terrible, but everyone got to be involved and get hands on the ball as a running back or receiver. We had one kid who was meant to keep the water chilled. Jumbo and simply unable to understand his role in any capacity. We always gave him a running play, and his flag inevitably was pulled at the moment he realized a football was in his hand.

Our last game of the season, after calling Jumbo's number in a running play, the coach from the other team came over and said to run the play again and his guys would give Jumbo a chance to, y'know, feel like he could play. So we run the play, Jumbo lumbered up the middle like Fat Albert on meth, and the entire opposing team turn into the keystone cops as Jumbo ran the length of the field for a TD. Everyone cheered and celebrated and high-fived, and it was just one of those feel good moments to end the season.

At the post-game party, Jumbo's mom came up and wanted know why we didn't realize how good Jumbo was and waited until the last game to let him show his stuff.

I thought she was joking. She wasn't. I shouldn't have laughed, but I did, and when I realized she was serious, well...y'know...kind of embarrassing.

excellent story, always good to participate

my worst stories were reffing church tournies, most games ending with the losing team surrounding me and threatening to knock my block off

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

It wasn’t me, but it was hysterical.....and a family classic! When I met my now wife her sister came to visit. Ballet was her thing, and she had no clue about sports. She went to watch my wife’s bank softball team play and it turned out a few people had conflicts. They needed ONE more person, and through some crazy power of persuasion, she agreed to fill in so they didn’t have to forfeit. 

They hid her out in right field, but eventually she had to step up to bat. Through some minor miracle, she eventually managed to make contact with the ball. She knew enough to begin running towards first base so she lumbered in that direction. Well before she arrived she stumbled a bit, which caused her to appear to attempt a head first slide into first base. She came to a screeching halt about 2 feet before arrival......and waited there on her belly until someone arrived to tag her out. 

Ballet? "Lumbered" "Screeching halt?" What company did she dance with?

And those that wanna argue... Stripping is TOTALLY sport.

And yes, this is on topic.  That's Beerball & His good buddy @ 3:52.

LMAO...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

- I tried to break up an Alley Oop and got teabagged.  

- I though James Hardy was gonna dominate 

i dove out of bounds to save the ball in a hoops game and hurled it good and hard... right into the sac of a team mate 8 feet away

he was a big guy, he took about 10 seconds to react and crumble to the ground in stages of pain

it was in front of 1,000 students who reacted properly as if this was the funniest thing they would ever see in a million years

• Haha (+1) 1