Embarrassing sports admissions

Ridgewaycynic2013

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

"Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. I thought J.P. Losman would turn into a franchise QB."

"Go in peace, my son. Your penance is to watch the Bills every week."

There are actually some idiots who thought EJ Manuel was good.  Can you believe that???

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

There are actually some idiots who thought EJ Manuel was good.  Can you believe that???

If that were the highest level of idiocy, I'd feel a lot better about humanity.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

My mother has a line of thinking that Hell is right here on earth, and for surviving this we get to Heaven. Bills fans get an express pass. 

all exemptions for Bills fans was lost by all the jagoffs boasting about hitting an opponent with a beer can

even if the opponent was a total ass-hat

17 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

If that were the highest level of idiocy, I'd feel a lot better about humanity.

EJ was the last Bill (maybe ever) to take the team down the field like a boss on the road for a last second TD win

16 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Ump's and Referee's in any youth sports take so much abuse it is a wonder anyone volunteers.

Italian soccer refs are truly a breed apart for embracing abuse

Edited by row_33

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

all exemptions for Bills fans was lost by all the jagoffs boasting about hitting an opponent with a beer can

even if the opponent was a total ass-hat

EJ was the last Bill (maybe ever) to take the team down the field like a boss on the road for a last second TD win

Italian soccer refs are truly a breed apart for embracing abuse

The beer can incident was shameful, no doubt. 

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

The beer can incident was shameful, no doubt. 

i can't see any justice no matter how apt it was

not a good precedent to set from a team usually begging for mercy on road trips

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

i can't see any justice no matter how apt it was

not a good precedent to set from a team usually begging for mercy on road trips

....or just trying to be a decent being...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

....or just trying to be a decent being...

sometimes a crowd lets our your inner demons, hopefully all in rowdy fun

the jagoffs on the other thread applauding the beer can thing are the worst form of internet mom's basement tough guys

• Like (+1) 3

I think it was Ken Burns' "Baseball" I remember catching the part where up to the late 1890s, fans were encouraged to embrace their American birthright and "fight tyranny" and abuse the umpires.  It started getting out of hand when fans (a fan?) brought hand guns to the games.  I guess things had to change.

Even earlier... Fans would line up on the baselines (especially in NYC) to intimidate the opposing fielders.

So reallly, all the really embarrassing stuff is not new.  I guess that's where terms like "Bush League" get their start... Well sorta.  Reading some of those old-time stories make today's game seem tame.

14 hours ago, Pete said:

A friend on my softball team had his teeth knocked out playing college hockey.  He was the 4th guy in sitting on the bench.  The puck rocketed up the glass towards the bench, the first 3 pulled their heads back and whammo!

My freshman year in college I had a friend from Massachusetts  who upon returning from Christmas break said his two brothers were playing hockey in the driveway with a tennis ball and his older brother had his two front teeth knocked out.  His older brother was playing goal, his younger brother was shooting.  I found it hard to believe a tennis ball would do that and asked how did that happen.    He replied, his younger brother took a slap shot, hit his older brother in the balls, he passed out, fell forward and the driveway knocked his two front teeth out.

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think it was Ken Burns' "Baseball" I remember catching the part where up to the late 1890s, fans were encouraged to embrace their American birthright and "fight tyranny" and abuse the umpires.  It started getting out of hand when fans (a fan?) brought hand guns to the games.  I guess things had to change.

Even earlier... Fans would line up on the baselines (especially in NYC) to intimidate the opposing fielders.

So reallly, all the really embarrassing stuff is not new.  I guess that's where terms like "Bush League" get their start... Well sorta.  Reading some of those old-time stories make today's game seem tame.

"kill the ump" is a major part of fan enjoyment, actually running onto the field and whaling on the first base ump (like the Comiskey Park father and son did) isn't honestly part of the deal...  :D

most people I've watched football with love to sit there and say at least 20 times a game:

1)  this is really boring

2)  holding, holding ref, you missed holding

3) this is all fixed anyway

making me wonder why they are torturing themselves on 4 hours watching this if all they do is complain

then i realize that they enjoy complaining about doing unnecessary things they don't like in the first place

Edited by row_33

8 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

My freshman year in college I had a friend from Massachusetts  who upon returning from Christmas break said his two brothers were playing hockey in the driveway with a tennis ball and his older brother had his two front teeth knocked out.  His older brother was playing goal, his younger brother was shooting.  I found it hard to believe a tennis ball would do that and asked how did that happen.    He replied, his younger brother took a slap shot, hit his older brother in the balls, he passed out, fell forward and the driveway knocked his two front teeth out.

And now the American Dental Association recommends wearing a cup.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

good thing it was a mere tennis ball, if it were one of those orange hockey balls (frozen) that would have been a true nightmare

A frozen tennis ball can definitely do some damage too.  We use to leave them outside and they definitely became more rock than tennis ball.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

A frozen tennis ball can definitely do some damage too.  We use to leave them outside and they definitely became more rock than tennis ball.

yeah, i took one there with a tennis ball, but that is still chemically composed to do less damage than an orange hockey ball

Just now, row_33 said:

yeah, i took one there with a tennis ball, but that is still chemically composed to do less damage than an orange hockey ball

No doubt.  We never used the orange ones so I don't really know how well they froze.  The one wild card a tennis ball has going for it is that it can absorb water, which leads to some fun when frozen.

reminded of around 20 years ago when a "miracle Chinese hockey puck" entered the market for 1/3 the cost of the usual suppliers

the suppliers were told to take a hike despite many many decades of loyal low pricing for the sake of the game

sadly the Chinese puck easily smashed through arena plexiglass

so when the leagues went back to the original puck suppliers they found the cost of a new puck had increased dramatically :D

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

No doubt.  We never used the orange ones so I don't really know how well they froze.  The one wild card a tennis ball has going for it is that it can absorb water, which leads to some fun when frozen.

true, frozen is frozen, but a ball by definition is always safer than a puck "with an edge on it"

37 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am pretty sure a hard ball, tennis ball, etc... Traveling fast and square in the kisser will lose a few teeth.

The number of how many is not really that important except to the dental professionals replacing them.

i didn't lose any teeth from that,

for contact sports I had my orthodontist mold a mouthguard

in addition to protecting the teeth it provided a cushion when i took elbows or other hits to the jaw, saving me from damage

• Like (+1) 1