Embarrassing sports admissions

Ridgewaycynic2013

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've rooted for Brady in most of his Super Bowls.  Zero shame.  I always want the most deserving team to win and they usually were.

You're not just an idiot.  You're not even two idiots.  You're more like four idiots.. or two gugnys.

But if gugny is, in fact, two gugnys, then we ultimately achieve a divergent infinite series, where you are infinite gugnys.  Hence, infinite idiots.

You're an infinidiot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

excellent story, always good to participate

my worst stories were reffing church tournies, most games ending with the losing team surrounding me and threatening to knock my block off

I had to ref basketball games at a local community center. I don't like basketball and think it's stupid, ballet with a ball. I don't know any of the rules and have no interest in learning. Had 8 year olds playing prison ball. The parents would yell and flip out. Kept asking how a grown man doesn't know basketball. 

20 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I had to ref basketball games at a local community center. I don't like basketball and think it's stupid, ballet with a ball. I don't know any of the rules and have no interest in learning. Had 8 year olds playing prison ball. The parents would yell and flip out. Kept asking how a grown man doesn't know basketball. 

i'm kinda spectrummy so i drift off sometimes, not a good thing for reffing, might explain some of the work of pro refs though

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

i'm kinda spectrummy so i drift off sometimes, not a good thing for reffing, might explain some of the work of pro refs though

Yeah I have problems drifting off and not paying attention as well. They had to take the scoreboard controls away from me because I would keep hitting the horn. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Yeah I have problems drifting off and not paying attention as well. They had to take the scoreboard controls away from me because I would keep hitting the horn. 

the trick when the play has stopped and they are looking at me, to take the whistle out of my mouth and stare at it like Andy Reid looks at that laminated chart in two minute drills

then it starts working again and i've figured out what the right call should have been

i botched a few clock duties for high school hoops because of drifting off.

a friend's father landed a golden job as timekeeper for a stadium in Southern Ontario, with the proviso that he was fired the first time he made a mistake, lasted many years, I would have been done after a few games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

i botched a few clock duties for high school hoops because of drifting off.

Many years ago, a fellow 'hockey dad' and I ended up running the clock and scoreboard for a house league game for our sons.  It wasn't long until the chant "DON'T SCREW UP!  DON'T SCREW UP!" was reverberating off the rafters, as clock and scores were anything but correct.  Once rectified, fellow 'hockey dad' and I were quietly chanting "Don't stop play!  Don't score a goal!" until game's end.

I coached my sons little league team one year.  His house team, not the travel team he played on.   They were 11 years old.  I told everybody at the first practice everybody will get a chance to pitch as long they could show me in practice that they could throw strikes on a semi consistent basis.  This one kid, who was by far the worst player on the team(he had a decent arm) but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, his mom kept bugging me every game for him to pitch even though I knew if I put him in there it would be a disaster.  I told her bring him 45 minutes before each game & I will work with him pitching & if he shows improvement I will throw him in there.  Sure enough he would get there 2 minutes before every game.  Finally I had enough of her bitching & moaning & the last game of the season I started him just to shut her up.  His first pitch he hit a kid, his second pitch he hit another kid & they kicked him out of the game.  I walked over to the mother & said "see I told you, he is not ready."  She told me to go f*ck myself in front of all the other parents & pulled her kid from the dugout & took off.  Me & my two assistant coaches couldn't stop laughing the entire game.  

Edited by Gordio

45 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I coached my sons little league team one year.  His house team, not the travel team he played on.   They were 11 years old.  I told everybody at the first practice everybody will get a chance to pitch as long they could show me in practice that they could throw strikes on a semi consistent basis.  This one kid, who was by far the worst player on the team(he had a decent arm) but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, his mom kept bugging me every game for him to pitch even though I knew if I put him in there it would be a disaster.  I told her bring him 45 minutes before each game & I will work with him pitching & if he shows improvement I will throw him in there.  Sure enough he would get there 2 minutes before every game.  Finally I had enough of her bitching & moaning & the last game of the season I started him just to shut her up.  His first pitch he hit a kid, his second pitch he hit another kid & they kicked him out of the game.  I walked over to the mother & said "see I told you, he is not ready."  She told me to go f*ck myself in front of all the other parents & pulled her kid from the dugout & took off.  Me & my two assistant coaches couldn't stop laughing the entire game.  

?

Not sure if it's an "admission" but probably the most embarrassing sports gaffe I've seen happened after the Bulls won their first championship.  Bob Costas was interviewing Jordan in the lockerroom and after a few questions pointed to a woman near him and asked "is this your mother?" to which "Jordan wryly smiled and said "no, she's my wife."  Ouch!

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not sure if it's an "admission" but probably the most embarrassing sports gaffe I've seen happened after the Bulls won their first championship.  Bob Costas was interviewing Jordan in the lockerroom and after a few questions pointed to a woman near him and asked "is this your mother?" to which "Jordan wryly smiled and said "no, she's my wife."  Ouch!

is there film of this?  Bill Simmons mentions it in his book...

16 hours ago, Augie said:

It wasn’t me, but it was hysterical.....and a family classic! When I met my now wife her sister came to visit. Ballet was her thing, and she had no clue about sports. She went to watch my wife’s bank softball team play and it turned out a few people had conflicts. They needed ONE more person, and through some crazy power of persuasion, she agreed to fill in so they didn’t have to forfeit. 

They hid her out in right field, but eventually she had to step up to bat. Through some minor miracle, she eventually managed to make contact with the ball. She knew enough to begin running towards first base so she lumbered in that direction. Well before she arrived she stumbled a bit, which caused her to appear to attempt a head first slide into first base. She came to a screeching halt about 2 feet before arrival......and waited there on her belly until someone arrived to tag her out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

This is no reflection on Gugny, but this is 'Post of the Week'.  I don't care what else is posted to the forums.

Agreed... I don't post often anymore, but when I read Tom's post I actually "did el oh el" in my office.

As far as embarrassing admissions: 

I didn't see the M and B in the brewers logo until long after I was an adult, but I somehow saw the M E and B in the old Expos logo.

As a child I thought the National League New York team was the Mitts, because you play baseball with a mitt, not a met. I thought everyone but me pronounced it wrong.

In 1976 I became a Buccaneers fan strictly because I liked "Bucco Bruce."  (I always was and still am a uni-geek)

There's many show-boaty things I did as a HS athlete that completely embarrass me now. I'm glad the films have been destroyed. 

I threw a bat after a strike out in Babe Ruth baseball and my father said, "Oh "young bullpen" if that bat hits the ground your on the bench for the rest of the game." I later found out he borrowed that line from some other coach.  

• Like (+1) 1