Embarrassing sports admissions

Ridgewaycynic2013

On 11/26/2018 at 7:11 PM, Buftex said:

I am man enough to admit, I actually rooted for the Patriots in the Super Bowl in 2002...Bradys rookie year.  I thought it was a great story, hated the Rams, and had no earthly idea that it would usher in the most miserable years in my 45+ years rooting for the Bills.?

I rooted for them the year they were almost perfect. Simply because at the time, I hated the Dolphins more than the Patriots*, and was sick of my Dolphin fan brother talking about the 1972 Dolphins. In hindsight, I'm glad they lost.

• Like (+1) 1

My dad coached my brother and I in South Buffalo Baseball our whole childhood. Usually whichever of our age groups was in need of a coach. I was never very good, but loved the game. I hit one homerun in my entire life. We showed up to the park, and the other team only had 8 players. They had to forfeit the game, but we decided since we all showed up, why not just play for fun? So my dad volunteered me to play for the other team and fill out their roster. Hit a home run in like the third inning. Against my own team, coached by my own dad, in a game that didn't count. 

Fast forward about five years later. This time my dad is coaching my younger brother. I'm about 12 or 13 maybe. Just there to watch my dad and brother's team. But the umpire didn't show up. So my dad volunteered me (there's a pattern here) to umpire. Game was going pretty well. My dad's team is down by one with two outs in the 5th (out of 6) innings. They score the tying and go ahead run. But I call them out because the lead runner missed the bag. That's when my dad sat me down and explained how the appeal play worked, and that I wasn't supposed to say anything unless the other team did. I felt terrible, and it didn't help that the other coach came out and congratulated me on noticing that after the inning was over. And of course my dad's team never came back to win. All my fault.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

My dad was the expert at hitting the smallest possible targets.  He'd hit tee markers, the broken tee box, the container full of dirt to repair divots, even though they were directly behind his back.  His best though was a story a friend and I still laugh about to this day, probably about 25 years later.  There were two parallel holes and they had just planted a row of trees between them.  They were about as wide as a pencil at that point.  Anyway, he's in the rough next to them, trying to play down a line parallel to the trees.  He hit the ball straight right, it somehow hit one of those saplings, and it ricocheted directly back into his shin.

My friend and I were on the ground laughing as he screamed out obscenities.  We hadn't even noticed yet that there was a guy on the other hole.  He was directly in the line where he would have been hit if the tree hadn't gotten in the way.  He was laughing his ass off too, as a ball could go down that same line 100 times and it would never hit a tree.  I'd love to go back to that place sometime to see what those trees look like now.

Oh my, you reminded me of one of my more amazing golf feats! I slice....a lot. I rarely hook the ball, but when I do things can get interesting. I still remember it like yesterday, it was the Shipyard course on Hilton Head, the hole right next to the gate. There were patio homes on the left. Tiny little lots with houses all squished together. I hooked a ball off the tee that hit a roof, bounced to the next roof, then hit the side of the third house narrowly missing a window. To this day that remains my personal best - I hit THREE HOUSES with a single swing. Hard to top that! 

50 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I rooted for them the year they were almost perfect. Simply because at the time, I hated the Dolphins more than the Patriots*, and was sick of my Dolphin fan brother talking about the 1972 Dolphins. In hindsight, I'm glad they lost.

Everything you said it's true for me, except the brother part.  I was the only one at my party rooting for the Patriots.  I have a longer memory than my friends................But, now I'm really glad they lost.

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

Everything you said it's true for me, except the brother part.  I was the only one at my party rooting for the Patriots.  I have a longer memory than my friends................But, now I'm really glad they lost.

There are pictures of the group of guys I was with, about 5 of them, tackling me and giving me a wedgie. Looking back, they did the right thing.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Oh my, you reminded me of one of my more amazing golf feats! I slice....a lot. I rarely hook the ball, but when I do things can get interesting. I still remember it like yesterday, it was the Shipyard course on Hilton Head, the hole right next to the gate. There were patio homes on the left. Tiny little lots with houses all squished together. I hooked a ball off the tee that hit a roof, bounced to the next roof, then hit the side of the third house narrowly missing a window. To this day that remains my personal best - I hit THREE HOUSES with a single swing. Hard to top that! 

...and then it bounced back into the middle of the fairway

When I was about ten, I was fishing with my Dad and my cousin. We were in a rowboat at Allegany State Park. Dad often went shirtless in the summer, and as I was casting without being careful, I hooked him right above the nipple.

Years later, after we'd both given up on fishing (not because of that), we were on the golf course. Dad sliced a tee shot into the rough. It hit a tree and bounced out to the middle of the fairway. He smiled confidently and said, "That's how you use a wood."