Embarrassing sports admissions

Ridgewaycynic2013

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

rarely am i in doubt it is happening...

I'm certainly not minimizing the pain you experience, nor the symptoms.  I apologize if it seems I trivialized it, whether for you, or anyone else who suffers through this.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I'm certainly not minimizing the pain you experience, nor the symptoms.  I apologize if it seems I trivialized it, whether for you, or anyone else who suffers through this.

No problem, I liked the comparison.

20 hours ago, Wacka said:

Not sports related, but I had some similar situations related to the stroke zI had 4 years ago.  About a  year before it I got the aura  like a migraine  but without the headache several time. Being a stubborn Pollack, I ignored it. About two weeks before the stroke I had to drive 90 miles back home from a job and had a hell of a time concentrating  on my driving.  The week before the stroke, I got lost driving to a place i had been at least a dozen times before. Took me  about 10 minutes to get my way there. Later that day I was going to a fast food place and  using my phone for navigation.  Couldn't find the place and kept blaming the phone.  After driving for about 20 minutes, I passed a McD's and ate there.  At least the 30 miles home was on the interstate.

Did you happen to ask if the stroke was preventable if you sought medical attention when you had the early symptoms?

I was not a big college football fan when I first moved to Atlanta but for the most part, everyone down here is way more into college vs NFL.  I was talking football with a girl in my office who was a big Florida State fan and I commented on how many good teams there were in the SEC.  Ooops. I felt like a fool when she informed me that they were an ACC team. I had much to learn.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Did you happen to ask if the stroke was preventable if you sought medical attention when you had the early symptoms?

Hadn't gone to the doc for several e years. Friends saw me at a picnic and tsaid I didn't look well. They contacted a former fgirlfriend and she called me the next day and she talked me into going  to the ER. The stroke was preventable. I had a no of 247/75 (I should be dead. Had the stroke the next day while getting a brain scan. I guess that was probably the best time to have one. ?

18 hours ago, Wacka said:

Hadn't gone to the doc for several e years. Friends saw me at a picnic and tsaid I didn't look well. They contacted a former fgirlfriend and she called me the next day and she talked me into going  to the ER. The stroke was preventable. I had a no of 247/75 (I should be dead. Had the stroke the next day while getting a brain scan. I guess that was probably the best time to have one. ?

When I read this, it is an interesting story.  If I read it slowly and picture your friends noticing and calling your girlfriend and her calling you, it becomes and amazing story.  It is great that they would do that. ?     It is seems you may have gotten away with about as minimum amount of damage as you could at the time.  To your health. ?

Back when I was in high school you could lose all the weight for wrestling that you wanted too. So I went down 35 pounds. I wouldn't eat or drink all day until the weigh in. To make a long story short. I got all ready to go out and wrestle my match. As i went out onto the mat to wrestle, i got the worst charlie horse I ever had. I went down on the edge of the mat and grabbed my leg. i was in alot of pain. After I used all my injury time up i went out and wrestled the match i believe i won but my leg hurt for 3 or 4 days after very embarrassing.  

20 minutes ago, NWPABillsfan said:

Back when I was in high school you could lose all the weight for wrestling that you wanted too. So I went down 35 pounds. I wouldn't eat or drink all day until the weigh in. To make a long story short. I got all ready to go out and wrestle my match. As i went out onto the mat to wrestle, i got the worst charlie horse I ever had. I went down on the edge of the mat and grabbed my leg. i was in alot of pain. After I used all my injury time up i went out and wrestled the match i believe i won but my leg hurt for 3 or 4 days after very embarrassing.  

lucky you didn't get scurvy or rickets or scabies

About 5th grade I swung at an inside pitch, tried to check the swing when I realized I was more likely to Get hit than get A hit. I’d like to think the other 10 year old had a wicked curve, but that’s highly unlikely. I just had no idea where the ball was going which, as it turns out, was off my knuckles on a cold, wet day in Buffalo. 

The adults went about arguing if I was hit by a pitch, or if I was stupid enough to swing at a ball headed directly AT ME. All this while my knuckles started to swell and I just wanted to go home. That was my first of oh so many occasions watching adults act like fools at Little League sports. 

While I’m confessing, about he same age of 10, I had a LL football game playing for the greatness that was Navy in Williamsville. We had done all our warming up, we’re waiting by the concession stand awaiting our time to run out onto the field. When the time came, I turned toward the field and went.....right into the flag pole forhead first. It didn’t really hurt, but I had a small bump, which quickly grew into one of the large goose egg bumps. Like a golf ball was tucked under the skin of my forehead! It grew to the point that there was NO WAY my helmet could possibly get on my head, and I watched that game from the sideline..... 

About 10 years ago I nearly knocked myself out cold on a golf course....

I was about 15 feet behind a tree that was only about a foot wide at the base and where the lowest branch was about 8-10 feet above the ground. So I figure I can use my "tree iron" which is an old 1 iron, I could easily keep the ball lower than the branches and get the ball safely into the fairway, WRONG, the ball hits the tree about 3 feet up and ricochet's straight back and hits me square on the chin before I even finished my swing. My knees buckled and I dropped to the ground and just sat there for a few before getting back up.

10 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

About 10 years ago I nearly knocked myself out cold on a golf course....

I was about 15 feet behind a tree that was only about a foot wide at the base and where the lowest branch was about 8-10 feet above the ground. So I figure I can use my "tree iron" which is an old 1 iron, I could easily keep the ball lower than the branches and get the ball safely into the fairway, WRONG, the ball hits the tree about 3 feet up and ricochet's straight back and hits me square on the chin before I even finished my swing. My knees buckled and I dropped to the ground and just sat there for a few before getting back up.

Thanks for the flashback! Now I won’t sleep tonight!  ?

I was with a friend and in my usual position behind a tree. He assumed I would just punch out, because that’s what someone with a functioning brain would do. (I’m not sure if we had emptied out the beer cart lady, but it was close.) I was about 150 out, and when he realized I was going to take a real swing at the green, he insisted on some time to get him and the cart out of range. I was kind of pissed, because it was so clear to me how this would play out.

WRONG! The clunk of the tree and the pfffffft of the ball whizing backward by my left ear were almost simultaneous! I could have died that day! BUT, no....... you’re stuck with me for a while! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/30/2018 at 8:18 PM, Augie said:

About 5th grade I swung at an inside pitch, tried to check the swing when I realized I was more likely to Get hit than get A hit. I’d like to think the other 10 year old had a wicked curve, but that’s highly unlikely. I just had no idea where the ball was going which, as it turns out, was off my knuckles on a cold, wet day in Buffalo. 

The adults went about arguing if I was hit by a pitch, or if I was stupid enough to swing at a ball headed directly AT ME. All this while my knuckles started to swell and I just wanted to go home. That was my first of oh so many occasions watching adults act like fools at Little League sports. 

I had the same exact thing happen in a pre-season LL game. Pre-season is worth mentioning because it was cold and it hurt and it sucked when I realized it wasn't an HBP.

I played slo-pitch softball for years and from time to time I'd go through a batting slump. One slump was particularly bad and I told the guys on the bench to watch my next at bat and let me know what I was doing wrong. For the first and only time in my life I struck out looking....in slo-pitch....when I got back to the bench I was informed that the problem was that I didn't swing. A lot of laughs at my expense over post-game beers that night.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/1/2018 at 8:24 PM, Augie said:

Thanks for the flashback! Now I won’t sleep tonight!  ?

I was with a friend and in my usual position behind a tree. He assumed I would just punch out, because that’s what someone with a functioning brain would do. (I’m not sure if we had emptied out the beer cart lady, but it was close.) I was about 150 out, and when he realized I was going to take a real swing at the green, he insisted on some time to get him and the cart out of range. I was kind of pissed, because it was so clear to me how this would play out.

WRONG! The clunk of the tree and the pfffffft of the ball whizing backward by my left ear were almost simultaneous! I could have died that day! BUT, no....... you’re stuck with me for a while! 

My dad was the expert at hitting the smallest possible targets.  He'd hit tee markers, the broken tee box, the container full of dirt to repair divots, even though they were directly behind his back.  His best though was a story a friend and I still laugh about to this day, probably about 25 years later.  There were two parallel holes and they had just planted a row of trees between them.  They were about as wide as a pencil at that point.  Anyway, he's in the rough next to them, trying to play down a line parallel to the trees.  He hit the ball straight right, it somehow hit one of those saplings, and it ricocheted directly back into his shin.

My friend and I were on the ground laughing as he screamed out obscenities.  We hadn't even noticed yet that there was a guy on the other hole.  He was directly in the line where he would have been hit if the tree hadn't gotten in the way.  He was laughing his ass off too, as a ball could go down that same line 100 times and it would never hit a tree.  I'd love to go back to that place sometime to see what those trees look like now.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a big college baseball fan. Root for Houston. Even though I didn't attend, the tickets are cheap, stadium is okay but close, and the team is good. My brother in law went to A & M, and was in their "Aggie Corps" which is essentially ROTC but on steroids. So my wife had spent her whole childhood up there. We decided to take a Tuesday off of work, take the two hour trip up college station, and just check out the campus before the game. Drove up there, walked around campus, went to some hole in the wall burger joint. Got to the game around 45 minutes early, and we were the first ones there. I felt like Clark Griswald. Ran up to get my tickets from will call, game was canceled. They announced it online thirty minutes before leaving the house. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

11 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I'm a big college baseball fan. Root for Houston. Even though I didn't attend, the tickets are cheap, stadium is okay but close, and the team is good. My brother in law went to A & M, and was in their "Aggie Corps" which is essentially ROTC but on steroids. So my wife had spent her whole childhood up there. We decided to take a Tuesday off of work, take the two hour trip up college station, and just check out the campus before the game. Drove up there, walked around campus, went to some hole in the wall burger joint. Got to the game around 45 minutes early, and we were the first ones there. I felt like Clark Griswald. Ran up to get my tickets from will call, game was canceled. They announced it online thirty minutes before leaving the house. 

squeeze, Aggies, squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze....

that baby elephant walk during hoops hazing