Jags Fire Hackett and Have Benched Bortles for Kessler

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

On one of the post games yesterday they were talking about how Coughlin was yelling and acting angry during the game.  

It was on Joe B's and Matthew Fairburn's Bills Beat Podcast that they were discussing how out of control angry and profane Coughlin was at the game yesterday. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It was on Joe B's and Matthew Fairburn's Bills Beat Podcast that they were discussing how out of control angry and profane Coughlin was at the game yesterday. 

Yes, I wasn't sure which one it was, thanks for helping me remember-I got tired fast of the talk about who could beat up who & fast forwarded it until they got back to the gameday talk.  

37 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Guess I'm in the minority (as usual) - I think he's a decent coach.  This move reflects a ton of pressure on Marrone - I suspect Coughlin grilled him last night about how he was going to fix the offense, and Marrone responded by saying he'd take the reigns himself, and Coughlin said, "In that case, what do we need Hackett for?"  Or something like that.  It's kind of an odd firing considering Hackett was running Marrone's offense to begin with - it would've been like Rex firing Thurman, what would be the point?  

This tells me Marrone is a goner if they don't have some sort of offensive explosion over the next few weeks, which I just don't see happening.

I agree. I could see Irving Meyer if he leaves Ohio ST & John Harbaugh if he leaves Baltimore as candidates.

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

While that may have been the reason Marrone "officially" gave for moving on,  the real reason was that the buy-out gave him a guaranteed $4M -- and the Jets head coaching position (supposedly his dream job) had just opened with the firing of Rex. Marrone received word from his agent (prior to the exercising the contract buy-out) that he would be viewed as the top candidate for the Jets' job . Ironically his quitting on the Bills made him toxic to fans as a head coach candidate in New York (and elsewhere). Hence, his biding his time until the Jags job opened and like-minded Coughlin was calling the shots.

I think the Jets began to worry they would be nailed for tampering & got cold feet.

9 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

I agree. I could see Irving Meyer if he leaves Ohio ST & John Harbaugh if he leaves Baltimore as candidates.

I think the Jets began to worry they would be nailed for tampering & got cold feet.

Unless Meyer is under threat of termination I don't see him going any place and Harbaugh will follow his brother's lead and go to a college program where a decent season sans the playoffs will get him treated like a god.

9 minutes ago, Seoulful Soul said:

Marrone is as much of a scumbag as Petrino.

I hate that I’m defending Marrone but yo idealize the only reason he has had OC jobs is because of Marrone.  Has anyone tout the brilliant offensive mind of Nate Hackett before?  

The Jags flopped big time this year and changes needed to made.  Again, I’m no Marrone fan but what was he supposed to do?

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Or maybe he just got a job he wasn’t qualified for because Marrone was friends with his dad.  Say what you want to about EJ but statistically, he had a better rookie year than Allen is having.   Bortles regressed after last year as well.

the nepotism in the nfl is a huge problem.  These guys keeping getting jobs because of who their dad is and/ who they are friends with.  EJ probably might not have been good but giving him Nate Hackett as both his OC/ QBs coach for his rookie year after only being an OC at Cuse was so stupid. The Jags falling apart this year was so predictable.

I remember all stories about Hackett when he was hired focused on his "high energy" - notable absence about any relevant experience or ability