Doug Marrone Jokes Around and Shows Charisma, Despite His 3-7 Record

Douggie shows a lot of charisma here despite the fact that his team is 3-7.  Here he joked around with the press.  

Say what hat you will, but this Doug Marrone seems like a different guy that was coaching in Buffalo:

https://www.jaguars.com/video/marrone-that-s-what-happens-when-you-re-losing

Edited by Phil The Thrill

9 hours ago, disco said:

Actually he was similar to this (perhaps not quite this far) the first year here. 180 degrees year two. Perhaps friction with FO had bubbled over by then, but we did have a glimpse of this early.

Yeah he must have really hated being here in 2014.  I mean I know he got paid nicely to walk away but still..

10 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Yeah he must have really hated being here in 2014.  I mean I know he got paid nicely to walk away but still..

Watching him in this press conference joke around with reporters at a time when he’s on the hot seat is pretty crazy.  In Buffalo he seemed so grumpy and pissed off to have to answer questions.  He even did his famous eye roll at Joe B once.  

He just seems a like a more likeable and fun loving guy, which is surprising because his team massively disappointed this season

40 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Watching him in this press conference joke around with reporters at a time when he’s on the hot seat is pretty crazy.  In Buffalo he seemed so grumpy and pissed off to have to answer questions.  He even did his famous eye roll at Joe B once.  

He just seems a like a more likeable and fun loving guy, which is surprising because his team massively disappointed this season

Maybe he had a "come to Jesus" moment with the Jags owner who probably frowned on the sour take Doug normally put out.  Trying to rip open the London market can only be helped by an affable HC who may be the most recognizable face of the franchise to many outsiders.  Not like the Jags have a consistent superstar given the troubles of the QB and the injuries of Fournette.  

Probably easier to be more jolly when you know you’re getting fired cause your team resigned Blake friggen Bortles and no way you’re gonna win in back to back years with that dude. If he’s smart he will be on hands and knees begging them to draft or sign him another quarterback for next year 

I remember after we beat the packers at home in 14, the front office was perplexed at the media's reaction. Apparently media and fans wernt as impressed as the bills front office thought they should be. It kept them alive in the playoff race, but then they went and lost to a really bad raiders team the next week and put themselves out of the playoffs 

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I couldn’t be happier with the Jags being 

3-7 , that’s why IMO he’s trying to be more likeable / down to earth sort of speak , cuz you just know if they were 9-1 or 8-2 he would have been same ol ( prick ) , 

3 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

My theory: He wasn't made for Buffalo Winters. You may say he was a coach at Syracuse, but that's a dome team. He couldn't Hackett in the cold, and the easy, breezy Jacksonville vibes have loosened up old Saint Doug, and brought a smile to his face. 

Ehh..During his introductory presser he used the famous "I'm one of you guys" line since he's from the Bronx. Super "dynamic" hire, Russ. Lots of "forward thinking."

• Like (+1) 1

I think it is a couple of things...

1. I am convinced that Doug Marrone honestly did not get along with the rest of the front office during his time here. Marrone certainly bears some responsibility here, as he could be quite surly at times.  In hind-sight, though, he was probably the one in the right versus some inane goings on with Doug W and Russ B. I firmly believe that Russ was the one leaking all the "Saint Doug" stuff to the press. I suspect that much of this started with the drafting of EJ, as Marrone never seemed to be on board with that selection.  That was exacerbated by Whaley's trading away the 2015 first round pick to move up 5 spots to take Sammy in 2014. Worse, the front office never brought in a capable backup as insurance for EJ. It was not until Marrone had the infamous outburst at Whaley and Russ in the 2014 preseason that they brought Orton in.  I still do not like that Marrone took the money and quit on the team after the 2014 season -- but I think the relationship with him and the guys in the front office had become toxic. The Pegulas could have done a better job of stepping in here and navigating the situation -- but they were still trusting Russ too much at this point.

2. Sitting out a couple of years probably helped Marrone gain some perspective. Over that time he likely did some soul searching and recognized better that a large percentage of being a successful head coach at the NFL level pertains to the PR aspects that seemed to annoy him in his first go-round. I've also heard Marrone on Sirius radio in recent months, and he definitely comes across much more laid back and likable than he ever did during his time in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

IMO the reason Doug left probably has a little to do with all the reasons everyone speculates.  He didn’t get along with the front office, 4 million dollars, he thought he could get the Jets job, etc....

Whats funny to me though is there’s a good chance the Jets HC job will become open soon.  If Marrone is still interested in it he did himself no favors by going for 2 points against the Jets late in the game!