ESPN Sucks

John in Jax

So probably everybody realizes that ESPN is now just a terrible network, but I have to vent a little this morning. Watching the 8am Sportcenter Show.....in the first half hour, LOTS of basketball coverage, both NBA & College, a tiny bit of NFL coverage, previewing ONE game later today, AND ABSOLUTELY ZERO NHL COVERAGE.  What a joke.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Y'ALL!!!

ESPN is always a million times better than what I'm stuck with for Canadian sports channels.

Not a second of US college football since CNN dumped Nick Charles and Fred Hickman's 11;30pm show after 9/11

With the internet you HAVE to be able to grab every hockey hi-lite you could possibly want....

14 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

So probably everybody realizes that ESPN is now just a terrible network, but I have to vent a little this morning. Watching the 8am Sportcenter Show.....in the first half hour, LOTS of basketball coverage, both NBA & College, a tiny bit of NFL coverage, previewing ONE game later today, AND ABSOLUTELY ZERO NHL COVERAGE.  What a joke.

little secret..there is a special channel called THE NHL NETWORK that is 100% hockey..and they have a little show called ON THE FLY...

ESPN shows no hockey cause 98% of sports fans don't care a wit about hockey till at least after the Super Bowl..and most likely not until the playoffs start

• Like (+1) 1

can i get a hi-lites package that doesn't have a twink in a suit and carnation starting off every hockey hi-lite reel with:

"you just know when the Habs are playing, that they come to play hockey, and the fans are there, and the hula dancers and the popcorn is moving...."

24 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

little secret..there is a special channel called THE NHL NETWORK that is 100% hockey..and they have a little show called ON THE FLY...

ESPN shows no hockey cause 98% of sports fans don't care a wit about hockey till at least after the Super Bowl..and most likely not until the playoffs start

Thanks for the tip; I had no idea! Is there an NBA channel too!? /s

They bill themselves as "Sportscenter", so maybe they should change the name? The Sabres 7-game winning streak is a BIG sports story. And I think your "98%" figure is way off.

4 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

They bill themselves as "Sportscenter", so maybe they should change the name? The Sabres 7-game winning streak is a BIG sports story. And I think your "98%" figure is way off.

ESPN thinks including one hockey play in the Top Ten Plays is enough coverage for hockey fans.  Although surprisingly today they had two but since one of them was Crosby, I am not sure if that counts.

espNBA.

Just now, John in Jax said:

Sorry for being so snarky..i a little hung over today!!!

It's really not a story at all though to anyone who is not a Sabre fan....if they thought the demographic supported reporting on hockey..they would report on it. 

If they owned the rights..yes you would get some coverage, limited still, but some. But that's just business.

Come around playoff time, coverage will go up. Until then Sabres are a non story

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/22/2018 at 8:51 AM, plenzmd1 said:

It’s way more simple than that. Espn shows no hockey because they don’t have the nhl’s tv contract and make no money off of the game. 

But theres a very very important question to be asked here. Why is someone who hates espn so much actually watching espn?

Edited by shrader

Unless you're watching an actual sporting event, ESPN is useless

That said, I do enjoy the last 15 minutes or so of College Game Day when they do their picks segment.  They're not trying to be edgy or pushing some SJW narrative or shilling for whatever story line the NBA/NFL/MLB/NCAA wants reported.  It's just 5 guys talking smack.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Unless you're watching an actual sporting event, ESPN is useless

That said, I do enjoy the last 15 minutes or so of College Game Day when they do their picks segment.  They're not trying to be edgy or pushing some SJW narrative or shilling for whatever story line the NBA/NFL/MLB/NCAA wants reported.  It's just 5 guys talking smack.

Doris Burke was in tears talking about Lebron’s greatness last night ???

ESPN is the worst.      

31 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Why else do most Americans not watch it. IMO hockey is the best sport there is. It has speed, hard hits and fights. Whats not to like. 

1 Football 

2 Basketball 

3 College Football 

4 College Basketball 

5 UFC 

6 Baseball 

7 Poker 

8 Soccer

9 Hockey 

9 hours ago, John in Jax said:

But there's nowhere better for coverage of your International Overwatch eSports Tournament.  

9 hours ago, John in Jax said:

They cater to the market. The show meets the demand. Hockey is a regional sport. I know a lot of big, big sports fans in the south and they couldn’t name 5 NHL players. I’m talking guys that have season tickets. ESPN will ALWAYS be football and the NBA. That’s the demand. 

7 hours ago, shrader said:

Mira way more simple than that. Espn shows no hockey because they don’t have the nhl’s tv contract and make no money off of the game. 

But theres a very very important question to be asked here. Why is someone who hates espn so much actually watching espn?

They actually have the NHL again. They air games on ESPN+. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Why else do most Americans not watch it. IMO hockey is the best sport there is. It has speed, hard hits and fights. Whats not to like. 

Most Americans don’t own equipment and have regular access to frozen ponds, would be my guess. 

If all you needed was a ball and maybe a goal for 10-20 to participate you might see it shoot up in popularity.

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They cater to the market. The show meets the demand. Hockey is a regional sport. 

That seems to follow also in more 'mainstream' news and sports reporting as well.  A recent Sunday night news and sports recap on the Canadian Press radio feed went deeply into NHL scores and scoring recaps of the games, for a season not 25% over.  CFL playoff scores and NFL scores were completely ignored.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

What I hate is when Canadas ESPN (otherwise known as TSN) will have a hockey game listed as being broadcast on one of their multiple stations, like Montreal vs Buffalo, or Calgary vs Buffalo, and then when you turn it on, you find out its blacked out and only available in certain markets.

for the last decade TSN or Sportsnet has been regional in coverage

if you want hockey games outside your region you have to buy the Sports Addict Bachelor Package to get almost all the games

i think the last few years has offered just a Centre Ice package for all the NHL games, haven't looked into it as I've had the SABP for 20 years now a

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

What I hate is when Canadas ESPN (otherwise known as TSN) will have a hockey game listed as being broadcast on one of their multiple stations, like Montreal vs Buffalo, or Calgary vs Buffalo, and then when you turn it on, you find out its blacked out and only available in certain markets.

Brian Spencer's father hated that, too. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, Bills2ref said:

IMO ESPN is unwatchable. For NFL coverage NFL network is far superior. For NHL, ESPN is not even in the same stratosphere as NHL network. I don’t watch NBA or MLB, but I imagine NBA and MLB network are better as well. It is no wonder ESPN is hemmoraghing money and losing subscriber base. 

I'll take your word on that...I don't watch more than 5 minutes of ESPN other than MNF and the occasional Celtics game.  I do watch NFL Network a little more, but I think it is pretty terrible too.   They employ some of the worst personalities. Too much schtick...in its' prime, ESPN was far, far better...but that was a while ago.

Edited by Buftex

On 11/22/2018 at 3:38 PM, Degenerate Mike in HHDS said:

They lost the NHL to NBC and NBCSN, after that they didn't care.

I don't think they even "lost it" but rather just let it go.  USA NHL rights made a pit stop on the OLN/Versus channel for a period of time even before NBCSN.  That kind of tells you all you need to know how the major networks all viewed the league at the time.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stony said:

I don't think they even "lost it" but rather just let it go.  USA NHL rights made a pit stop on the OLN/Versus channel for a period of time even before NBCSN.  That kind of tells you all you need to know how the major networks all viewed the league at the time.    

They got outbid for it, but they weren’t interested in spending much money for the rights back at that point. So yeah, it was essentially a voluntary thing on their part. And OLN/Versus was the same channel as NBCSN. It was Comcast owned and then rebranded after their merger with NBC. 

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

It's so whacked in Canada now that I need cable to watch NHL and CFL but get two NFL games a week plus playoffs and SB for free with rabbit ears

Living close to the border, I remember years ago watching NFL games via antenna on both the US networks as well as Global here in Canada, feed provided by the US network.  Global found a way to shoehorn ads for Canadian advertisers into the video feeds.  Whereas the US viewer was looking at the actual view of the stadium scoreboard and surrounding structure, Global had superimposed a 'Pizza Pizza' ad (or similar) that made the viewer think the advertisement was actually in the stadium.