If the season ended today the Bills would be picking 6th in the up coming draft

JAMIEBUF12

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I was going to say while it is a really long shot we are only two games out of second place with a number of other teams only sitting two games ahead.  Right now I would have to pick the Chargers and one team from the AFCN as the Wild Cards but stranger things have happened.

I don't see big offers coming for trade ups to the top six next spring.  At what point is it not worth picking up a couple measly low picks versus taking a guy that may not be a tremendous need (although very useful) in Greedy?

RR, I hear you, and I would 100% agree if it weren't for the fact that regardless of the Jets game we are so utterly and completely, epic-ally, tragically, horribly, miserably bad on offense.

The aberration is the Jets game, not everything that came before.  Don't get me wrong I think we may be able to go 3-3 down the stretch, but the O must be addressed...a lot.

...I will take a slightly lesser 1st round Offensive player, or a D player at an absolute must position of need, than a position that we are already strong at to make it stronger.

Give me the best possible Offensive player 4-10 spots back with some extra later on.

BUT, if you want Greedy, man I get and I think he will be really, really good.  I just think they won't keep him 4 years later as they will already have a bunch of loot tied up in Tre come that time.

7 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

RR, I hear you, and I would 100% agree if it weren't for the fact that regardless of the Jets game we are so utterly and completely, epic-ally, tragically, horribly, miserably bad on offense.

The aberration is the Jets game, not everything that came before.  Don't get me wrong I think we may be able to go 3-3 down the stretch, but the O must be addressed...a lot.

...I will take a slightly lesser 1st round Offensive player, or a D player at an absolute must position of need, than a position that we are already strong at to make it stronger.

Give me the best possible Offensive player 4-10 spots back with some extra later on.

BUT, if you want Greedy, man I get and I think he will be really, really good.  I just think they won't keep him 4 years later as they will already have a bunch of loot tied up in Tre come that time.

Well I think one of the reasons this franchise steps forward and stabilizes is that our gm took steps to rid this team of bad contracts.The Bills are taking their lumps real bad with the dead cap.I think going forward with the 80 in cap space next year that the Bills will add talent,but not spend like drunken sailors.I think for now on the Bills plan on building through the draft and keeping our own..I think that is what the process is...Draft strong and for a change keep our own players on 2nd and even 3rd contracts....Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

Well I think one of the reasons this franchise steps forward and stabilizes is that our gm took steps to rid this team of bad contracts.The Bills are taking their lumps real bad with the dead cap.I think going forward with the 80 in cap space next year that the Bills will add talent,but not spend like drunken sailors.I think for now on the Bills plan on building through the draft and keeping our own..I think that is what the process is...Draft strong and for a change keep our own players on 2nd and even 3rd contracts....Go Bills!!!

Yes, yes indeed, Jamie.

I stand by the fact though if you really want two great CBs, plan on only having them together for a few years, because this team is not going to spend double the money on that position.

Hell, it remains to be seen if they are going to pay it for one player (Tre), which I hope they do.

1 minute ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

If they hit on their draft picks, they will either pay them BIGTIME after their rookie deals or they will lose them. You think Tre White or Edmunds are taking hometown discounts? Their agents beg to differ.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

No, some of them are truly bad and won't win any more game.

The bills have a bad offense but a really good defense, which will get them to a few more wins. And I am fine with that, BTW. I hope we are never bad enough to have a top 10 pick. I want them to win as many as possible every single year.

Once we are not going to the playoffs( we aren’t) I would prefer we lose out in enjoyable fashion.

The only thing I want to see is JA make some noticeable strides along with the receivers.

The higher we pick in the next draft , the better. It’s not just one high pick, it’s a higher pick in each round.

19 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The hope is Allen will be at least competent and that we are done with the hard part of the schedule which has been demonstrated by playing teams such as the Chargers and Chicago who barring collapse are going to the playoffs.  Other teams we have faced such as GB, Min, Ten, and Baltimore are sitting on the cusp of the playoffs.  I would be far less optimistic if we had played cupcakes for most of the early schedule

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

If they hit on their draft picks, they will either pay them BIGTIME after their rookie deals or they will lose them. You think Tre White or Edmunds are taking hometown discounts? Their agents beg to differ.

This is why you have to have good drafts which means good scouts, personnel men, and a GM to do it.  Maybe the Bills are finally turning a corner in that regard?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The hope is Allen will be at least competent and that we are done with the hard part of the schedule which has been demonstrated by playing teams such as the Chargers and Chicago who barring collapse are going to the playoffs.  Other teams we have faced such as GB, Min, Ten, and Baltimore are sitting on the cusp of the playoffs.  I would be far less optimistic if we had played cupcakes for most of the early schedule

This is why you have to have good drafts which means good scouts, personnel men, and a GM to do it.  Maybe the Bills are finally turning a corner in that regard?

That would be great. I was responding specifically to a quote of not spending like "drunken sailors."

I get the sense that some people don't understand how much you've got to pay for premium talent. If they draft good players, they're eventually gonna have to pay them big time dollars if they want to keep them. 

I also think the narrative that Whaley was out there spending like the Yankees is a bit overblown. The only guy the new regime couldn't afford to pay was Gilmore. It happens. The smart organizations just find a way to move money around and finesse the cap.

30 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It is why you extend them before they ever hit free agency.It seems the well run teams do this.It also seems when you do it early both the player and the organization benefit.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Have to go QB if one is there. Have to.

Until you have a QB you have to keep bringing them in.I am very under sold on Allen at this point and would not want to go into next season with just Allen as the franchises p[ossible future.

We will see more of Allen but if there is no improvement in the 2nd half then you really have zero choice but to look heavily at QB's> problem is will there be one worthy of the pick.

32 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

It is why you extend them before they ever hit free agency.It seems the well run teams do this.It also seems when you do it early both the player and the organization benefit.

The kind of guys we'd want to lock up may not be interested, but it's worth attempting.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

It won't end that way. The Bills will probably win a couple more. I bet we pick somewhere around pick 10 or 11.

If we three or four more, sure, I could see us drafting around 10th or 11th.  But "a couple" typically means two and if we're only winning two more games then chances are we'll remain about where we drafting right now.  A 2-4 finish isn't going to appreciably dent our draft position, not when its winning percentage (2-4 = .333) is nearly what our winning percentage already is at 3-7 (.300).

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The kind of guys we'd want to lock up may not be interested, but it's worth attempting.

I think a lot of times tge Bills just didn’t have the money to pay their own when their contracts were up.Pkayers like Gilmore or Woods might have taken the money earlier if the Bills had it.I know Woods prob wanted to go back home,but the Bills have drafted some good talent the last few years that they could not afford come 2nd contract.I just think that is kinda over.

5 hours ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

The top 4 teams plus the Bills at 6 all have quarterbacks.It seems the Giants get a stroke of luck and get to pick the top qb at 5.Seems some franchises just fall into luck.They get their runningback this season,already have good receivers and now get a qb next draft.Kinda like the Colts go from Manning to Luck and teams like us that were 7-9 forever never truly got to have a choice for the top qb or rb or wr...I bet a team like the Giants turns it around real fast.Not complaining about Josh,but if we had waited a year we would have been in line for the top or 2nd to top qb.I like Greedy ,but I know the team really needs offensive lineman and receivers.Greedy would make our secondary elite...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Raiders go QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Raiders go QB.

...never know with Chuckie and his QB luvfest........probably way off base, but I think Carr's injury was a wake up call and he perhaps may not recover mentally to play the game without hesitancy or fear of another major injury.....smart to cash when he did......maybe seeing the beating his brother took is also an influence.....

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Once we are not going to the playoffs( we aren’t) I would prefer we lose out in enjoyable fashion.

The only thing I want to see is JA make some noticeable strides along with the receivers.

The higher we pick in the next draft , the better. It’s not just one high pick, it’s a higher pick in each round.

I know that sentiment is common. I just don't agree with it. I'll root for them to win. To me, having 2 wins at the end of a season is twice as good as having 1 win, etc. The more wins you have, the less embarrassing it is and the brighter the future appears to be.

23 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

If we three or four more, sure, I could see us drafting around 10th or 11th.  But "a couple" typically means two and if we're only winning two more games then chances are we'll remain about where we drafting right now.  A 2-4 finish isn't going to appreciably dent our draft position, not when its winning percentage (2-4 = .333) is nearly what our winning percentage already is at 3-7 (.300).

Yes, but there seems to be more bad teams this year. We'll see, though.

17 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

I think a lot of times tge Bills just didn’t have the money to pay their own when their contracts were up.Pkayers like Gilmore or Woods might have taken the money earlier if the Bills had it.I know Woods prob wanted to go back home,but the Bills have drafted some good talent the last few years that they could not afford come 2nd contract.I just think that is kinda over.

I disagree. They didn’t feel Gilmore was worth the money. They replaced him with White, a better player imo. Also, didn’t they do the extend them before they hit FA thing with Dareus ? Also with Hughes, but that has yielded a better return. Woods was a goner, unless they  franchised him, which would have been ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

Except for the small fact that teams have different grades.

No. If they took the best player *available*, that is assuming they are selecting the best player available at the slot they are picking. By moving up, they are selecting a great player they do not think will be available at the current draft spot. So, the best player wouldn’t be available. If they trade down (as 50% of trade makers do), they are admitting that there is no best player available at the slot they were originally given. 

6 hours ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

The top 4 teams plus the Bills at 6 all have quarterbacks.It seems the Giants get a stroke of luck and get to pick the top qb at 5.Seems some franchises just fall into luck.They get their runningback this season,already have good receivers and now get a qb next draft.Kinda like the Colts go from Manning to Luck and teams like us that were 7-9 forever never truly got to have a choice for the top qb or rb or wr...I bet a team like the Giants turns it around real fast.Not complaining about Josh,but if we had waited a year we would have been in line for the top or 2nd to top qb.I like Greedy ,but I know the team really needs offensive lineman and receivers.Greedy would make our secondary elite...

This years QB draft class is not as strong or deep as last year.  Good chance we still draft Allen (if he was in the 2019 draft) if we had a top 3 pick. 

Allen is a high level prospect, why people are so down on him so early is beyond me.  People in the NFL who know light years more about evaluating a player think he has a bright future, yet arm chair GMs around here have already read the tea leaves and predicted his future bust.

2 hours ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

Oddly, McBeane is the very reason we are in dead cap hell right now. 

Kelvin Benjamin- 8.4m

Marcel Dareus- 13.5m

Cordy Glenn- 9.6m

Tyrod Taylor- 7.6m

Corey Coleman- 2.9m

Vontae Davis- 2.3m

AJ McCarron- 2.1m

Reggie Ragland- 1.2m

Richie Incognito- 1.1m

Jeremy Kerley- 960k

Ramon Humber- 700k

Phillip Gaines- 500k

Ronald Darby- 400k

Adolphus Washington- 255k

these are all guys they traded. Cut. Cut and resigned, etc that count against our cap. The <1m guys aren’t that big a deal I guess. It still. They were decent players, or players at position of need that were worth having at least. 

Its the guys like Tyrod, Dareus, Glenn, Coleman, Benjamin, Davis, Ragland that bothers me. They both worked with Benjamin in Carolina. I’m very surprised they had no idea he would be such a useless sack of chit. Then they traded guys like Glenn away when they could have made someone switch to RT and we’d be looking at Glenn and Dawkins as our bookends. We’re getting charged for him anyway(in cap), wish we were benefiting from it instead of watching him play in Cinci. Same goes with Dareus, and Tyrod. Would have been good to have a reliable backup QB and a DT that was once dominant. Again, we’re being charged for these guys against the cap. Wouldn’t it be nice to use them. 

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Hoping he Giants end up behind them as could potentially get some extra picks from them as they need a QB

yep, the tables have turned between us and gettleman vs. last year. mcbeane may have to pull the short hairs...lol

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Kelvin Benjamin- 8.4m

Marcel Dareus- 13.5m

Cordy Glenn- 9.6m

Tyrod Taylor- 7.6m

Corey Coleman- 2.9m

Vontae Davis- 2.3m

AJ McCarron- 2.1m

Reggie Ragland- 1.2m

Richie Incognito- 1.1m

Jeremy Kerley- 960k

Ramon Humber- 700k

Phillip Gaines- 500k

Ronald Darby- 400k

these are all guys they traded. Cut. Cut and resigned, etc that count against our cap. The <1m guys aren’t that big a deal I guess. It still. They were decent players, or players at position of need that were worth having at least. 

Its the guys like Tyrod, Dareus, Glenn, Coleman, Benjamin, Davis, Ragland that bothers me. They both worked with Benjamin in Carolina. I’m very surprised they had no idea he would be such a useless sack of chit. Then they traded guys like Glenn away when they could have made someone switch to RT and we’d be looking at Glenn and Dawkins as our bookends. We’re getting charged for him anyway(in cap), wish we were benefiting from it instead of watching him play in Cinci. Same goes with Dareus, and Tyrod. Would have been good to have a reliable backup QB and a DT that was once dominant. Again, we’re being charged for these guys against the cap. Wouldn’t it be nice to use them. 

isn't that the point?...to eat the leftover crap now so we can have a fresh start? i don't understand the roster churn this year that is kinda nickel and dimein us , but next year we can get a whole new vehicle.....

45 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

yep, the tables have turned between us and gettleman vs. last year. mcbeane may have to pull the short hairs...lol

isn't that the point?...to eat the leftover crap now so we can have a fresh start? i don't understand the roster churn this year that is kinda nickel and dimein us , but next year we can get a whole new vehicle.....

Except you cut or traded guys that we’re not only good, but you were accountable for their salaries anyway. 

Dareus is the biggest one I can think of. For the 5th rounder you got for him, considering that your paying for him anyway, your better off keeping him. Instead they are lying 13m for him and another 8m for Star. And considering what we got for Dareus, I’d much sooner let him rot on the bench until someone got hurt that trade him for almost nothing. 

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Kelvin Benjamin- 8.4m

Marcel Dareus- 13.5m

Cordy Glenn- 9.6m

Tyrod Taylor- 7.6m

Corey Coleman- 2.9m

Vontae Davis- 2.3m

AJ McCarron- 2.1m

Reggie Ragland- 1.2m

Richie Incognito- 1.1m

Jeremy Kerley- 960k

Ramon Humber- 700k

Phillip Gaines- 500k

Ronald Darby- 400k

And then we wouldn't have Allen or Edmunds or maybe both.  They traded people like Glenn to get picks so they could move up to get the QB they wanted. Whether they picked Allen or Rosen or whoever, they needed draft capital and by winning as many games last year as they did, they needed a lot.

Probably if they had only won 5 or 6 games last season like many expected they could have drafted the same players as they did without needing as many  extra picks and maybe could have hung onto Glenn.  Or they could have kept the picks they got for him to draft others.

TT backup QB... At $16mil  Great idea!  If we had kept TT there wouldn't have been money to sign Star L and likely some of the other lower salaried guys they signed.  Doubt  they could have afforded Kyle Williams $5 mil

So explain to me where in your plan would you have got the money to sign these guys without cutting half the team?

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And then we wouldn't have Allen or Edmunds or maybe both.  They traded people like Glenn to get picks so they could move up to get the QB they wanted. Whether they picked Allen or Rosen or whoever, they needed draft capital and by winning as many games last year as they did, they needed a lot.

Probably if they had only won 5 or 6 games last season like many expected they could have drafted the same players as they did without needing as many  extra picks and maybe could have hung onto Glenn.  Or they could have kept the picks they got for him to draft others.

TT backup QB... At $16mil  Great idea!  If we had kept TT there wouldn't have been money to sign Star L and likely some of the other lower salaried guys they signed.  Doubt  they could have afforded Kyle Williams $5 mil

So explain to me where in your plan would you have got the money to sign these guys without cutting half the team?

Explain why we didn’t draft a guy last year and traded up for a lessor talented guy that’s like his cheap brother a year later?

If Bills could get Greedy at CB, a WR in round two, a guard and LB at three and four, and some other developmental players with rest of draft, then spend the extra cap space on replacement offensive linemen, and a good WR, they could be on there way.  The hardest part will be to find some good WRs that could really make a difference.

When I watch teams like Pittsburgh, KC, Rams, NO, with all the offensive talent they have plus very good defenses, I realize, Bills are still a long way off being contenders year in and year out.

One bright spot however is Miami and Jets aren't in any better shape than Bills and Brady can't last much longer so winning the division by any of these teams might mean who can take the next step and be in position to be that next team.  Why not the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

Explain why we didn’t draft a guy last year and traded up for a lessor talented guy that’s like his cheap brother a year later?

McBeane wasn't here in 2017, McD was yes.  So are you asking why they didn't draft a QB in 2017 like Mahomes?

If that's what you're saying, the Bills along with the rest of the league didn't value him that highly.

And I was responding to your post about all the guys the Bills let go and now have dead cap, now you're on a different subject.  And looking at your list with the possible exception of Glenn, even if they had taken a QB in 17, highly likely they still would have dropped the other players.  And in some cases, their salaries were higher than the cap hit, so again explain how they would have afforded to keep all these guys?

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

McBeane wasn't here in 2017, McD was yes.  So are you asking why they didn't draft a QB in 2017 like Mahomes?

If that's what you're saying, the Bills along with the rest of the league didn't value him that highly.

And I was responding to your post about all the guys the Bills let go and now have dead cap, now you're on a different subject.  And looking at your list with the possible exception of Glenn, even if they had taken a QB in 17, highly likely they still would have dropped the other players.  And in some cases, their salaries were higher than the cap hit, so again explain how they would have afforded to keep all these guys?

Explain why it was necessary to allow the league leader in tackles go for nothing, only to trade up and draft his replacement?

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, mrags said:

Explain why it was necessary to allow the league leader in tackles go for nothing, only to trade up and draft his replacement?

First of was he really that good, or is a result of their line was just bad so someone has to make the tackle.

The Bills didn't allow him to leave, he was an UFA who chose to leave, did the Bills try and get him to stay, did they make him any offers, the only people who know that for certain are the Bills and Brown.  Was he worth the $4 mil + $2 mil SB he got from Cinci?  Per Rotoworld, the answer is NO, nor do his stats look like he's worth it. And now here's on IR.

While he was good, he is a long way from the potential game changer that Edmunds is.  You're not building a top level defense around Preston brown, while you can around Edmunds.

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

First of was he really that good, or is a result of their line was just bad so someone has to make the tackle.

The Bills didn't allow him to leave, he was an UFA who chose to leave, did the Bills try and get him to stay, did they make him any offers, the only people who know that for certain are the Bills and Brown.  Was he worth the $4 mil + $2 mil SB he got from Cinci?  Per Rotoworld, the answer is NO, nor do his stats look like he's worth it. And now here's on IR.

While he was good, he is a long way from the potential game changer that Edmunds is.  You're not building a top level defense around Preston brown, while you can around Edmunds.

I stopped hooking you and everyone else 3 days ago. 

At the end end of the day, we’re a bad team. Calm down 

On 11/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, JAMIEBUF12 said:

If bpa is a qb do we go that route even though we are happy with Josh Allen? 

Are we?

I'd say you definitely grab one if he's legit the best player available. Better to hedge your bets & commit to finding that franchise QB than to just pass on possible great talents just because you hope your current one pans out.

But I doubt it'll ever happen, just saying it wouldn't be awful.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:21 AM, JAMIEBUF12 said:

So as of right now the 49ers have the top pick followed by the Cards.

1) 49ers

2) Cards

3) Raiders

4) Jets

5) Giants

6) Our Buffalo Bills

7) Jags

? Bucs

9) Browns

Glad to see the Browns finially not picking in the top5. So the question is who do you feel is the 6th best player in the draft or do the Bills trade down to a quarterback needy team???

OT Jonah Williams 

• Like (+1) 1