Where are we at? Miracle Playoff run or does each win just ruin draft position?

There is no miracle playoff run, we are simply ruining draft position.

There is no carryover effect year to year in the NFL so any argument about building momentum for next year is garbage

Edited by matter2003

Doubtful that the Bills get anywhere close to the playoffs, thanks to some dreadful QB, OL, and WR play early in the season.  The D also had some dreadful early games. However, they are starting to come together, and could end the season as one of the hottest teams in the league.  The young guys are stepping up, learning from the vets, and they are becoming a speed team on both sides of the ball.  Still no playoffs this year, but the improved play will go a long way for next season.  It will also allow them to go BPA in the draft, as some holes are being filled by the young guys.

• Like (+1) 1

Could care less if we fall just short and end up drafting in the mid-teens because that means Josh Allen is the franchise, our defense is set for the next few years, we have some pieces on the OL worth keeping around and the young WRs - Foster/Zay/McKenzie are stepping up.   

That means we don’t have 900 holes to fill with our picks/cap space and can focus on truly building a contender.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

Doubtful that the Bills get anywhere close to the playoffs, thanks to some dreadful QB, OL, and WR play early in the season.  The D also had some dreadful early games. However, they are starting to come together, and could end the season as one of the hottest teams in the league.  The young guys are stepping up, learning from the vets, and they are becoming a speed team on both sides of the ball.  Still no playoffs this year, but the improved play will go a long way for next season.  It will also allow them to go BPA in the draft, as some holes are being filled by the young guys.

Well said. Forget both the playoffs and high draft position. All the bad teams will win another so our draft position won’t change but a few spots if that if we put up some more wins. Much rather see the team continue to show gradual improvement and development. It’s not momentum for next season, it’s HOPE that the team has some talent and is not as otherwise desperate.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills would be in a much better position if young guys like Allen, Foster, McKenzie, Teller, Milano, Edmunds, and Phillip's mature enough to contribute to the team winning games than tanking and  getting a lower draft pick.

And the obsession with getting a top 3 or 5 draft pick in the NFL is pure idiocy.  Teams that draft well find all-pro talent throughout the first two rounds of the draft.

Tre White was the 27th pick in the draft.  Edmunds was the 16th.  Calvin Ridley was the 26th overall pick.  This isn't the NBA or NHL, there is no need to tank in the NFL.

If the Bills finish 8-8 but have a young core of players who are improving enough to win NFL games, they will be in a much better position than if they have a train wreck ending to the season, where the young players prove to be worthless, and wind up with the 3rd pick in the draft.

Edited by Perry Turtle
  • Like (+1) 5

I am one of those who think we are ruining draft position with each loss.....My preference would be LT Jonah

However

One of the good things about this next draft is the D players appear to be highly rated.....which could push a good O player down to us (like maybe the cream of the wide receivers)

We can use free agency to get OL players (probably having to keep Dawkins at LT) and draft offensive players.....like WR, TE, RB

Probably not a playoff run due to too many teams in front of us, but I don’t think each win JUST ruins draft position.  We’re getting better and better, gaining confidence and learning how to win.  I’ll be very happy if we win out even if we don’t make the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/13/2018 at 7:04 PM, Azucho98 said:

No way this team with this offense makes the post season....dream all you want but it ain't gonna happen.

I'd normally say the same thing but when you look at our schedule the only tough game remaining bis the Patriots... If we can just pull off that upset we are looking at a real playoff probability. The issue is the Ravens.  Even if we do run the table they have to lose 3 games even though we are only 2 games behind them due to there win against us. Not sure what happens with a 3 way tie however.

7 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

The Bills would be in a much better position if young guys like Allen, Foster, McKenzie, Teller, Milano, Edmunds, and Phillip's mature enough to contribute to the team winning games than tanking and  getting a lower draft pick.

100% agree. Add Taron Johnson to that list too and Dawkins still to an extent as well (he has had some struggles this year but has played well the past 3 games back to some of his rookie form).

This year is about how many of those guys we can legitimately start to pencil in as part of the "young core. To me Tre White and Matt Milano are already there... but we now have a group of others to focus on. It might only be me but I am genuinely trying to watch the young guys and not the ball play to play.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am one of those who think we are ruining draft position with each loss.....My preference would be LT Jonah

However

One of the good things about this next draft is the D players appear to be highly rated.....which could push a good O player down to us (like maybe the cream of the wide receivers)

We can use free agency to get OL players (probably having to keep Dawkins at LT) and draft offensive players.....like WR, TE, RB

I'd rather win out and see where the chips may fall. As far as linemen, I'd like to pluck the 3 guys from Wisconsin in the draft.

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I'd normally say the same thing but when you look at our schedule the only tough game remaining bis the Patriots... If we can just pull off that upset we are looking at a real playoff probability. The issue is the Ravens.  Even if we do run the table they have to lose 3 games even though we are only 2 games behind them due to there win against us. Not sure what happens with a 3 way tie however.

I am not sure we will run the table (even excluding the Pats game). I can see a split with Miami. We need to tidy up the penalties. Yes the refs were awful yesterday but some of those penalties were just horrible, sloppy play and had to be called. That drive with 3 back to back defensive penalties.... it can't happen.

I think the Chargers and the Ravens will be the wildcards.

3 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

I hope they win out with Allen. Even at 9-7 they might still be able to draft the top Center.

"Hi, welcome to Buffalo for a FA visit.

We had back to back 9-7 seasons, including a playoff appearance.  Our rookie QB was 8-3 as a starter and we have 10 draft picks coming and about 90 million in cap space.

What can we do for you here in Buffalo?"

I dig it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/13/2018 at 6:01 PM, PlayoffsPlease said:

Where are we at? Miracle Playoff run or does each win just ruin draft position? Inquiring minds want to know. 

Given the schedule the miracle playoff run is not impossible.  What I am supposed to be rooting for? 

Let it play out. The team has obvious weaknesses, but, winning today can help tomorrow, lower draft picks notwithstanding. 

The Bills are 2 games out of a playoff spot with 5 to go.  6-5 is 6th place.  Win out and I guarantee they make it.  There's only one game remaining on their schedule that, today, looks unwinnable, and we all know who it is, but if they somehow win the next three and are 7-7 heading to Foxboro all bets are off.

• Like (+1) 2