Sessions Resigns as AG

6Vfu5kVd_bigger.jpgKamala HarrisVerified account @KamalaHarris
FollowFollow @KamalaHarris

Matthew Whitaker, the acting Attorney General, clearly wants to limit the Mueller investigation. He must recuse himself and legislation should be brought to the Senate floor to ensure Mueller’s investigation is protected.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. We'll get right on it.

Edited by B-Man
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:
Look for Gowdy. 

This has been my pipe dream all along. Given his (official) reasons for stepping down, though, I don't see it happening.

As an aside -- Anyone ever catch this guy on Forensic Files? He was way badass before sniffing the House.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

His reasons for stepping down was he wanted to be back in the prosecutor's chair. 

No bigger one of those than AG. :beer: 

True -- But he's also one who doesn't like to be bogged down by red tape. Sounded like he wanted out of politics. Hope you're right, though!

2 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

protests ready to go for tomorrow here in Atlanta. Where do these people find the free time?

It's easy when one's unemployed and/or being paid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

This has been my pipe dream all along. Given his (official) reasons for stepping down, though, I don't see it happening.

As an aside -- Anyone ever catch this guy on Forensic Files? He was way badass before sniffing the House.

I was watching it one night and went "Hey isn't that...?"

Edited by Wacka
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

PLEASE NO to Christie. Besides just not liking the guy, Bridgegate/Beachgate will turn his confirmation into Kavanaugh 2.0 even with the majority secured. It'll delegitimize anything the AG tries to do next in the eyes of half the country. 

They need to go with Ratcliffe or Gowdy. 

The first take by the media on Trump's moves has been terribly wrong.  It won't be Christie. But the media loves to play that "Trump owes Christie" card

17 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Leftists, twisted in knots once again.

Drc5KG2W4AAGXTY.jpg

Dems aren't following along.  If Mueller is writing his final report now as is being reported, then the change in AG means nothing.  The investigation is ending so the acting or new AG is not of consequence in this matter. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

Dems aren't following along.  If Mueller is writing his final report now as is being reported, then the change in AG means nothing.  The investigation is ending so the acting or new AG is not of consequence in this matter. 

You're right, but I believe this is just them keeping their base all pissed off and angry for the sake of keeping them all pissed off and angry. They do that a lot. 

From the linky thingy above:

"Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen today announced an Interim Final Rule declaring that those aliens who contravene a presidential suspension or limitation on entry into the United States through the southern border with Mexico issued under section 212(f) or 215(a)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) will be rendered ineligible for asylum."

Here's what's weird to me: Sessions' "resignation as requested" has so far been very clean and straightforward.  The announcement was relatively restrained; his resignation letter was congenial if not even friendly, with no evident rancor, the naming of the acting AG undramatic.

Pretty much completely unlike the other firings and resignations by a guy who thrives on drama and chaos.  For an impulsive wrecking ball like Trump, this has been downright un-Trumpian.  Organized.  Undramatic.  Unimpulsive.  Like it's been planned for a while, and only waiting on the timing.  :unsure:

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Here's what's weird to me: Sessions' "resignation as requested" has so far been very clean and straightforward.  The announcement was relatively restrained; his resignation letter was congenial if not even friendly, with no evident rancor, the naming of the acting AG undramatic.

Pretty much completely unlike the other firings and resignations by a guy who thrives on drama and chaos.  For an impulsive wrecking ball like Trump, this has been downright un-Trumpian.  Organized.  Undramatic.  Unimpulsive.  Like it's been planned for a while, and only waiting on the timing.  :unsure:

;) Because it has. 

Greatest counterintelligence sting in history is unfolding before our eyes. And the media doesn't want to cover it.

(because they're complicit)

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

;) Because it has. 

Greatest counterintelligence sting in history is unfolding before our eyes. And the media doesn't want to cover it.

(because they're complicit)

And as I realized it earlier today, I thought "Nah, it can't be, I refuse to be Greg."

But after thinking through it a little more, I thought "Goddammit reality, stop justifying Greg's story!"

But really...again, the distinction between signature and modus operandi: MO can vary, and Trump's does to some degree, but signature is psychologically engrained, and doesn't vary.  And Trump's doesn't: it's brash, impulsive, dramatic, shambolic.  It was his signature on The Apprentice, it's his signature in his presidency.  

And if you work backwards from the a priori assumption that Trump intends to fire Mueller, it superficially looks like his signature...but it's not, because to be a prelude to firing Mueller, it would represent planning, consideration, and organization.  Conversely, if it represented a typical Trump decision as a prelude to firing Mueller, we would have had leaks, rumors, innuendo, drama, and denials before a dramatic announcement followed by stories of chaos in the administration.  

So...it's not what it looks like.  Doesn't mean he won't fire Mueller...but it can't be for the reasons everyone automatically assumes.  

8 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"Conspiracy theories".

This from Dworkin, who has pushed nothing but conspiracy theories for the past two years (with less evidence to support them what Whitaker is discussing).

Watching that video, I keep expecting him to say "Hi, Joker!" and shoot R. Lee Ermey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Unconstitutional! 

Kelly Ann Conway's husband lays it all out in black and white. 

Mr. Whitaker has not been named to some junior post one or two levels below the Justice Department’s top job. He has now been vested with the law enforcement authority of the entire United States government, including the power to supervise Senate-confirmed officials like the deputy attorney general, the solicitor general and all United States attorneys.

We cannot tolerate such an evasion of the Constitution’s very explicit, textually precise design. Senate confirmation exists for a simple, and good, reason. Constitutionally, Matthew Whitaker is a nobody. His job as Mr. Sessions’s chief of staff did not require Senate confirmation. (Yes, he was confirmed as a federal prosecutor in Iowa, in 2004, but Mr. Trump can’t cut and paste that old, lapsed confirmation to today.) For the president to install Mr. Whitaker as our chief law enforcement officer is to betray the entire structure of our charter document.

10 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"Conspiracy theories".

This from Dworkin, who has pushed nothing but conspiracy theories for the past two years (with less evidence to support them what Whitaker is discussing).

Well...you are the expert.....What was the name of the book you released on tin foil origami?

• Haha (+1) 1

Arn't you embarrassed? 

This is just like Trump University. Fraud! We have a criminal administration putting criminals in charge of "enforcing" the law. UnAmerican, unconstitutional and wicked as all hell. Shame on you people that support this. Go live in Russia if you love criminals in charge so much 

When federal investigators were digging into an invention-promotion company accused of fraud by customers, they sought information in 2017 from a prominent member of the company’s advisory board, according to two people familiar with the probe: Matthew G. Whitaker, a former U.S. attorney in Iowa.

It is unclear how Whitaker — who was appointed acting attorney general by President Trump on Wednesday — responded to a Federal Trade Commission subpoena to his law firm.

In the end, the FTC filed a complaint against Miami-based World Patent Marketing, accusing it of misleading investors and falsely promising that it would help them patent and profit from their inventions, according to court filings.

In May of this year, a federal court in Florida ordered the company to pay a settlement of more than $25 million and close up shop, records show. The company did not admit or deny wrongdoing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/before-he-led-the-justice-department-matthew-g-whitaker-promoted-company-accused-of-deceiving-clients/2018/11/08/f46e6db8-e380-11e8-ab2c-b31dcd53ca6b_story.html?utm_term=.c58d18f6e030