When was the last time an NFL team gave up on a HC too soon?

BADOLBILZ

35 minutes ago, pop gun said:

No I don't know that and neither do you. 

Not For Long league applies not only to players but coaches also.

A coach that made the playoffs last year and has a plan going forward is not getting fired this season.  If it somehow makes you feel better to bark at the moon about it have fun.

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

SInce Mcd isnt getting fired.....I dont know why this is even a question

Sometimes intelligent people enjoy discussing topics that don't apply to exactly what someone else has decided is a forgone conclusion.  Of course sometimes intelligent people knew very quickly that EJ Manual was crap whist it took others much, much longer to catch on.

36 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

A coach that made the playoffs last year and has a plan going forward is not getting fired this season.  If it somehow makes you feel better to bark at the moon about it have fun.

Coaches who so badly botch their team’s QB situations are an endangered species, even if they managed to go 9-7 the year before.  I agree it’s unlikely McDermott gets canned this year, but discussing the possibility  is hardly beyond the pale. And it remains to be seen that he “has a plan going forward.”  There is no actual proof of that, or that it’s a worthwhile plan.

Edited by mannc

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

There's 0 examples of this with the Bills in recent history.(Could argue Wade)

Yet there is always that crew here(who is always wrong) trying to shut down those fans.?

I’m not trying to stifle any conversation, just raising a different question. I don’t think either question is limited to the Bills and their “recent” history, either. But if you need qualifiers, feel free. 

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Good thread idea. Where would you put Marrone? He wasn't fired, but with no extension offered and the retention of Whaley, he clearly thought that the situation was untenable. 

Another good one to think about: Mularkey was fired after getting the team to the playoffs (and his second straight winning season), but I personally thought it was the right move. That team played below their level of ability because of the offensive game planning, in my view.

I think Harbaugh got on the bad side of the poisonous people in that organization (Trent Balke etc.) They fired the wrong person.

He fell out with everyone. Don't get me wrong Harbaugh is a better coach than Balke is a GM but he grates on people in time because he has one setting. I think 4 years is about his shelf life in places. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yet there is always that crew here(who is always wrong) trying to shut down those fans.?

Interestingly, Bill Polian always said that one guy who should have gotten another chance was Kay Stephenson, whom Polian thought was a good coach in a bad situation in Buffalo.

19 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The rule Belichick applies to players  to let them go a year early and not a year late should apply to HCs and GMs.  They have so much power that letting them continue a flawed plan only makes more work for the next leadership group.  

How do you know it’s a flawed plan? Big if, but would this year be forgivable if we win two Super Bowls in the next five years? We don’t know what the future holds.

20 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

How do you know it’s a flawed plan? Big if, but would this year be forgivable if we win two Super Bowls in the next five years? We don’t know what the future holds.

What odds are you giving on a bet here?

As bad as this front office is, and I'm pretty certain they are in the bottom five of NFL, the people hiring the front office, i.e., the Pegulas, are absolutely clueless about running a football team so in all likelihood anyone they'd pick for the front office won't be much better. I'm not sure there's anyone with even a smidgen of competence associated with the Bills at this point.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm going to put on my flame suit and go out on a limb and say maybe (just maybe) if Rex had one more season and one more draft he might have been able to turn the corner with his defense.  His defense was always dependent on safety play and he always had injuries and problems at safety.  Mario absolutely didn't help either.  Either way the teams were pretty close to being good but just needed something to get over the hump.  Especially on defense. 

3 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

you just cant grasp the concept

Oh really?

The bills had what, NINE head coaches from 2000-2017? Do the math, genius. That's one every two years.

And what, pray tell, does a new coach do when he comes into town and there's NOT HIS GUYS on the roster?

That's right, smart guy. He gets rid of those guys and brings his guys in, whether or not he needs to. Ergo, you smartest of the smart, CHANGING ***** COACHES EVERY TWO YEARS LEADS TO ROSTER DISRUPTION AND ULTIMATELY FAILURE.

I think it's YOU that doesn't grasp the concept, Einstein.