When was the last time an NFL team gave up on a HC too soon?

BADOLBILZ

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

You don't win when you don't have continuity either.

Sure you can, but it doesnt work when the person doing the hiring goes in a completely opposite direction because they dont understand the business they are hiring for.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I actually think the Rex teams were more disciplined than this team. For such a disciplinarian and guy who insists on football character these guys are ridiculously undisciplined in a lot of different ways. 

Rex's team did more dumb *****. But the pre-snap stuff feels worse now. 

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’ve always dismissed notions like this out of hand, but does anyone think the Bills would be favored over Alabama on a neutral field?  I honestly think the Bills would lose that game.

Bills would beat them by 30

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I actually think the Rex teams were more disciplined than this team. For such a disciplinarian and guy who insists on football character these guys are ridiculously undisciplined in a lot of different ways. 

And that’s a direct indictment on the coaches, imo. 

Just now, K-9 said:

And that’s a direct indictment on the coaches, imo. 

Absolutely. The Bills are playing with a handicap because McDermott only wants certain kinds of players. If that is going to be the case, it better be some sort of advantage to you if it's going to also be a disadvantage. But we are not getting any of the advantage to that. These guys get disheartened (for good reason), they don't always try, they get all kinds of undisciplined penalties, they are extremely inconsistent, etc. 

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

Because not every player on bama is a nfl caliber player. I would bet bills could run every down and score over thirty

I disagree.  I would bet that every starter on the Alabama team this year will at least get invited to an NFL camp, and more than half will be drafted (although obviously not all this year), with probably 8 or more of those guys picked in the first two rounds.  And they are obviously better coached than the Bills.

Most NFL coaches are average. 

In order to be successful, they need talented players who fit their scheme (especially at QB).

I don't think Sean McDermott is anything special.  He's average.

But you can't expect him to win games, when the offensive talent is below standards and our quarterback play is this terrible.

Firing McDermott just restarts the endless cycle. 

You just bring in another average coach, who wants to change schemes and bring in his own guys.  The offense takes a step forward.  The defense goes backwards.

Let this regime finish this rebuilding plan.  Give them 4 seasons.  Then judge where the team stands.

If the talent level isn't good enough, then fire Brandon Beane.  If there is talent, but it's underachieving, then fire McDermott.

I think it would be extremely unfair to give up on a coach in less than two years.  That would be idiotic and unfair.

As for McCoach, if ownership decided to move on from McClappy, I suspect that I would not shed any tears.

I suppose, if ownership were to fire McCoach, it would just be part of the "process."

Edited by Peter

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

What makes you think that he's a disciplinarian?  He's far from it.  A disciplinarian would have sat Benjamin's ass on the bench in the first game of the season.  He's bluster not discipline. 

It isn't that McDermott is so terrible, by himself.  It's that he is constantly married to an offensive staff that is wholly and entirely incapable of evaluating or coaching.  They are seeking out and retaining players on offense that are terrible and they have traded away or let players go that were far better than anything they've replaced them with.  The promise was that everyone they were replacing was replaceable and inferior and that bringing in different players was the answer.  The truth is that the coaching on offense is sub par and that each player they let go or replaced only increased the talent deficit until we now have the most inept offense in the NFL and it's not even close.

Edited by Maine-iac

Just now, Maine-iac said:

It isn't that McDermott is so terrible, by himself.  It's that he is constantly married to an offensive staff that is wholly and entirely incapable of evaluating or coaching.  They are seeking out and retaining players on offense that terrible and they have traded away or let players go that were far better than anything they've replaced them with.  The promise was that everyone they were replacing was replaceable and inferior and that bringing in different players was the answer.  The truth is that the coaching on offense is sub par and that each player they let go or replaced only increased the talent deficit until we now have the most inept offense in the NFL and it's not even close.

He was the one that hired Dennison and then fired Dennison and then hired Daboll and also the one that still insists on playing Nathan Peterout. 

And Castillo. 

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He was the one that hired Dennison and then fired Dennison and then hired Daboll and also the one that still insists on playing Nathan Peterout. 

And Castillo. 

I mean, by what objective criteria do folks think the Pegulas will be judging these two?  Did making the playoffs last year buy them four years of sucking?

I'm just saying for too long we are throwing the baby out with the bath water.  McDermott seemingly can keep this team competitive on defense but can't tell his b-hole from a hole in the ground when it comes to offense.  I'm saying if there is an OC who comes available that has a moderately proven track record it would not hurt my feeling to see Daboll get dumped.  I stated long before and players on defense stepped foot on the field that McDermott would turn the defense around because you could see from his experience that he was capable of it.  Many were saying the defense would be swiss cheese.  It was evident early on the defense was a ton better.  The second we hire a real offensive talent to coach you will see a difference.  Whether you have a roster full of pro bowlers or not a well coached unit will show up and look at the very least capable of being competitive.