The way Shady carries the ball

Bakin

I always wondered about this too. For someone who obsesses over his craft as much as I'm sure he does, there must be a reason for this. I always assumed that it was for balance, like the way a cheetah uses their tail when chasing an antelope. I never thought about the bait theory but that makes sense too. I don't know of any other RB who does this. Whatever it is, to be able to do that and not be a fumbler is just crazy. 

57 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

I think it helps his balance also and this his ability to change direction.  I would imagine that would be hard to do when you keep one arm against your body

Agreed.   Also he's got a knack for knowing if someone is coming from behind him and seems to cover up in time.  Its gotta be maddening for defenders, seeing the loaf of bread all day but they can't seem to force the fumble.

7 hours ago, Bakin said:

I’m sure Much has been discussed on this topic - we see it every week - Shady carrying the ball like a it’s a bag of baby diapers, away from his body.....looks like it’s a fumble waiting to happen. 

I love the heck out of the kid - but that running style scares and annoys the crap out of me ....

But I also kind of like it!  Haha

Seems like the exact opposite thing a back is taught and trained to do. 

That being said - Shady has few historical fumble issues. He fumbles 1 time every 119 touches. I read somewhere 150 is elite and average is around 112. 

I just find the way he runs with the ball INSANE considering probably all he was taught his entire career. 

Go Bills!!

I go back a long way.  I have seen some of the greatest backs carry the ball the same way.   OJ Simpson is the first to come to mind.

If McCoy does not the have a history of excessive fumbling, then what is the problem and what is the point of this thread? 

Our running backs in high school held the ball like this. They would make defenders look stupid all the time. They said it forced the defenders to make a choice, go for the ball or the player. If they chose the ball (8/10 times) they pull it into their body and the defender dove at nothing.  I don't recall them fumbling that much. High school is completley different from pros tho. 

What I admire more about him is I'm sure he's been told by coaches going back to Pop Warner that he can't carry the ball that way and his response is basically "go f yourself."

As an aside, his running style is the closest to Barry Sanders that I've seen since his retirement.  I feel like his last couple of years before his skills decline is being wasted by an inept offensive line.

8 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I have thought that he "flags" it out there to misdirect the defenders. 

I certainly don't know, and it makes me nearvous when he does it, but I just feel like it's part strategy.

I have never heard him say this, but to me the reality is that he does it because it greatly increases his balance and ability to cut.

Physics being what it is by moving both hand away from his body - it allows him to slow sideways motion and come to a stop quicker and begin moving the other direction faster and with less stress and energy.

I don’t think myself it is to misdirect defenders only because he almost always holds it like that in his right hand whether cutting to his left or right and if he was cutting right and it drew defenders toward the ball - it would draw them into his cutback.

I do agree that it does probably draw the defenders eye and maybe gives them something to think about allowing him a second to get back to full speed and get away.  You also only see it when he is in the open field as he typically gets it tucked away well before the defenders get to him.

Overall - I think Shady is just a very right hand dominant player as he rarely switches hands or tucks it on the left even when running toward the left sideline when RBs are taught to tuck closer to the sideline in case of a fumble.  He almost always holds and tucks right handed and getting the arms away from the body helps with balance and agility his 2 best attributes.

I will say it has to drive coaches insane that at this level he is that freewheeling with the ball, but it works so you let it go, but aggggghhhhhh!

Funny this should be a thread this week. I was at the game in Houston a few years back when his fumble going in for the late score pretty much cost the game. (Of course the horrible first half play of EJ and a phantom pass interference call didn’t help either.) The Bills return to the scene of that crime this afternoon!

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Funny this should be a thread this week. I was at the game in Houston a few years back when his fumble going in for the late score pretty much cost the game. (Of course the horrible first half play of EJ and a phantom pass interference call didn’t help either.) The Bills return to the scene of that crime this afternoon!

Two different seasons.