Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

And it's still a 10% chance. I would bet each of the guys that drafted all of the above players would admit "we liked the guy a lot, but liked several others, too, and running backs are a crapshoot. We were lucky this time."

Well, I’m not going to go through the records and look at every RB taken in the 3d round or later, but off the top of my head, I can come up with 10 really good ones currently in the league.  So the point stands:  good RBs are not hard to find in rd 3, or even later.  

3 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

IF they Trade McCoy they will not win another game and will be unwatchable. Will set record for worst offense yards and points and Allen will not make it through the season.

Just wait...if they trade McCoy this week the line for Sunday’s game won’t even move half a point.  

4 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

IF they Trade McCoy they will not win another game and will be unwatchable. Will set record for worst offense yards and points and Allen will not make it through the season.

Their BEST offensive performances didnt even have McCoy on the field in Minny. Interesting 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

It's time for you to keep quiet.  Everyone who knows anything about football talks about how well McD has coached given a team with limited talent, and how he has a solid locker room.  But you somehow think you know different based on information you claim is true that you have no way of knowing is valid.  Do you hang out in the locker room?  No.

You are such an expert. Everyone who knows anything about football (that I agree with) talks ...

McD is a bottom 3rd rated coach by most everyone.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/78295/57/nfls-best-coaches-2018?pg=2

https://fansided.com/2018/05/30/nfl-power-rankings-head-coaches-bill-belichick/13/

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000938541/2018-nfl-coach-rankings:-bill-belichick-and-then-...

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/list/nfl-head-coach-rankings-2018-belichick-tomlin-garrett-mccarthy-gruden-shanahan/xp7hr1sq7b3j1xwyh9543denc/slide/18

I love Shady. He has been a delight to watch these past 3+ years.

When my wife (the Eagles fan) called me to tell me Shady had been traded to the Bills she prefaced it by saying "Something terrible has happened"

But if we can snag a 2nd and 3rd for him, and considering the money we save, I am for it. We are wasting him this year, and we can pick up someone serviceable in the 1st or 2nd next year.

My question is simple.  What are the cap implications.

Here is my thought, work a three way trade.  McCoy to Philly, Bell to Buffalo, Bills get 2nd and 4th for Shady, trade 2nd and 3rd to Steelers for Bell.

Steelers need picks to rebuild, Eagles can take on McCoy and his salary as they just extended Fletcher Cox, and we can slot McCoy's salary for Bell and still have 10 picks next year.  Bell is 3 years younger and would still be more then serviceable when the Bills challenge in 2019'and 2020.

Thats how I would approach this.

8 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Even with Mccoy do you really see this team going 9-7?  There is no way this team is going to get a WC spot with the way the afc looks this season so far.........get a good deal out of him if you can....

• Like (+1) 1

Guest Mike147
2 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Let's not discount Chris Ivory because he had three productive seasons with the Jets. Ok his last two seasons with the Jaguars were not great but he runs hard and can be a useful back as part of a committee. 

We could even bring in a free agent like Mark Gillslee, Orleans Darkwa or Charcandrick West. There are likely more available that we could bring in. All we would need is someone to compliment the players we already have. 

Obviously the issue we will have is like you say, the offense could struggle without McCoy on the field, but this season is about transition towards the team we intend to be going forwards. We might want to keep hold of McCoy, but ultimately moving on from McCoy is something that will happen sooner rather than later. It is a question of when, rather than if. So while trading McCoy would hurt us significantly this season, it is at least getting it out of the way and we might be able to cope sufficiently. 

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Well, you should.

OK, I did.  Here are the RBs drafted in Rd 3 in the 2016, 17 and 18 drafts:  Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, D'Onta Foreman, James Connor, Kenyan Drake, CJ Prosise, and Royce Freeman. 

So, out of seven guys we've got two superstars, three really good backs who have superstar potential, one guy who started as a rookie then got hurt, and one guy who hasn't lived up to expectations so far.  Not too shabby... 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Their 2nd will be like a 3rd.

It might be.  They aren’t looking too good at the moment.  Even a late 2nd is totally worth it.  Unless they plan on keeping shady for another 2-3 years, getting a 2nd or a 3rd is worth it.  A young player on a 4 year cheap contract.  No brainer guys

22 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Their 2nd will be like a 3rd.

No offense, but I can’t stand when people do this. If you want to say it’s likely a later pick in the 2nd round, thats fine. 

But it won’t be like a 3rd. It will in fact be a second round pick if the pick is in the second round. Even if it’s the 32nd pick in the second. It’s still a second. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, simpleman said:

Look at si.com this week.  And the response was to some moron saying he's lost the locker room as if they have any clue.

Reading is something most of us learned in the first grade or earlier.  Try reading the posts before commenting.

Edited by oldmanfan

11 minutes ago, Strethor said:

If we can get a 2nd that would be fantastic 

If you were Philly...would you GIVE a second? I wouldn't trade a second for McCoy at this stage of his career. 

But the fact that the rumor broke over 3 hours ago and there are no updates leads me to believe talks arent extending beyond an initial phone call.