Did Gaine leaving front office set us back?

Big Blitz

Was our VP of Player Personnel.

He leaves in January to be Houston's new GM.

His replacement, Dan Morgan, another Carolina connection is hired to be his replacement on May 4.  Was this bc of the draft?  Couldn't get one sooner?

Just my 2 cents but based on the player Personnel decisions and the inability to adequately fill the voids left by Incog and Wood tell me this was a front office not prepared for this development.  They took too long to find a replacement.....and the guy we replaced may have been really really good.

If this has been discussed somewhere, apologies.

For me, culture and process isnt getting a franchise QB.  Its having top quality Personnel guys. 

So far since Gaine left:

Trent Murphy 

Star Lawholalay

Vontae "I'm out" Davis

Corey Coleman...cut

Jeremy Kerley....cut

And holes everywhere.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

The cap and dead money are the real issues here. We simply do not have the money to pay a quality roster.

But that changes next year.

Even more reason why the money they did spend had to be spent very wisely. Early returns on this FA class have not been good.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, MJS said:

The cap and dead money are the real issues here. We simply do not have the money to pay a quality roster.

Nailed it MJS.  We’re going to suffer this year, and hopefully Allen takes his lumps, and learns the speed of the game.  We’ll resign the. Quality players, and probably get a free agent OLineman and WR .   Then we’ll probably not trade up, but use all 10 picks to create depth and a couple of starters.

im starting to think it will be 2020 as our year.  We might get to 8-8 next year, after a 2-14 season this year.

Maybe so.

The Pegulas need to wake up ASAP.  Rookie owners with a rookie GM and rookie pro personnel head and a rookie coach are driving this team off a cliff.

And the thing is, it’s happened to them before so it’s amazing they haven’t learned - literally this is the one experience they’ve had already.

The Sabres bottomed out and ended up with Eichel and a boatload of draftpicks and free agent dollars to spend, and the Pegulas’ rookie GM squandered all of it and set the team back five years.

Now the Bills sacrificed resources to land Allen and are heading into 2019 with a ton of draft picks and free agent dollars... and all of the evidence suggests that the rookie GM may squander the opportunity..... how can they not be aware of this?

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe so.

The Pegulas need to wake up ASAP.  Rookie owners with a rookie GM and rookie pro personnel head and a rookie coach are driving this team off a cliff.

And the thing is, it’s happened to them before so it’s amazing they haven’t learned - literally this is the one experience they’ve had already.

The Sabres bottomed out and ended up with Eichel and a boatload of draftpicks and free agent dollars to spend, and the Pegulas’ rookie GM squandered all of it and set the team back five years.

Now the Bills sacrificed resources to land Allen and are heading into 2019 with a ton of draft picks and free agent dollars... and all of the evidence suggests that the rookie GM may squander the opportunity..... how can they not be aware of this?

They have a grand plan. Beane’s offseason intentions were to fool the league into thinking his inept. He wants the number one pick in 19’ so he can weave up and down the board and have the “best draft ever”. His horrible pro personnel decisions are so no team takes Buffalo serious in FA negotiations and they can remain under the radar while signing the cream of the crop.

It’s going to be beautiful....in all seriousness if Allen didn’t look the part these guys wouldn’t be able to sit down at work because their chairs would be so hot.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

That does not explain the players brought in for this year.  

A lot of people are saying everything will be fine next year because they have a ton of cap room.  What did they do the offseason to prove they can pick the right players.  

This is beane’s roster and his plan.  All we can do is hope he has a successful offseason .  

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

His replacement, Dan Morgan, another Carolina connection is hired to be his replacement on May 4.  Was this bc of the draft?  Couldn't get one sooner?

Just my 2 cents but based on the player Personnel decisions and the inability to adequately fill the voids left by Incog and Wood tell me this was a front office not prepared for this development.  They took too long to find a replacement.....and the guy we replaced may have been really really good.

For me, culture and process isnt getting a franchise QB.  Its having top quality Personnel guys. 

So far since Gaine left:

Trent Murphy 

Star Lawholalay

Vontae "I'm out" Davis

Corey Coleman...cut

Jeremy Kerley....cut

And holes everywhere.  

Based on the number of holes we had in the offseason (QB, WR, C, RG, RT, DE, DT, DT, SLB, MLB, CB), it was never going to be slightly realistic that we would be able to fill every weak point on the roster.  It had nothing to do with the person sitting behind the desk.

The Bills went into Free Agency with about $25 million in space for 2018, then raised that to about $32 million after trading away Cordy Glenn and Tyrod Taylor.  Out of that amount, a team needs to keep roughly $8-10 million in reserve for the rookie contracts and emergency signings.  By my counts, they had at least 12 starting spots that needed serious upgrades - without even starting to consider the depth/bench positions.  A decent starting-level free agent will usually run a team between $4 and 8 million each.  Big names can often be twice that amount. 

Do the math.  At most, the Bills were looking at around 3-5 decent free agent signings at the absolute max.  By the time they re-signed Kyle Williams, then added Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy, AJ McCarron and Vontae Davis - that money was pretty much gone.  To make matters worse, Ritchie Incognito retired well AFTER free agency had run its course, opening another massive hole on the roster.

Now, it's definitely fair to say that McCarron was a busted signing.  But the other suggested free agent options on the market (Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater, etc.) all signed for WAY MORE with other teams, and would have virtually wiped out our cap space by themselves.  Same with keeping Taylor.  Considering the fact that Beane was already planning a big move up the draft board, I think it was smart to wait and take the chance with a bargain in McCarron.  We got him for $3 million.  The Cardinals signed Bradford for $20 million, and he probably won't make it through the first month of the season before getting replaced by Josh Rosen.

It's also fair to criticize the swap of EJ Gaines and Davis, especially after the nonsense that happened this week.  And I would guess that even Beane admits this decision was a mistake.  They could have brought back Gaines for roughly the same amount.  My guess is that Beane believed Gaines was unreliable because of injury, and was hoping Davis was ready to return to Pro-Bowl form.  It was a bad calculation.

At this point, it's too early to judge the additions of Lotulelei or Murphy.  Personally, I think both guys are playing OK.  And the signings of Jeremy Kerley, Corey Coleman, Marshall Newhouse, Russell Bodine, etc. were basically the front office trying to get something out of the few dollars/resources they had left.  This is something every team is forced to do when cap space is gone. 

Bottom line... This front office decided the best course for Buffalo was to rebuild from the ground-up.  They didn't see a way of long-term success without a franchise quarterback.  They didn't see a way of long-term success with the bloated underachieving contracts they current had on the books.  The solution to both problems was trading away talent for draft picks.  A season like this was the unfortunate side-effect.  It just wasn't possible for us to re-stock talent as quickly as we got rid of it.  Next year is  completely different story.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

So far since Gaine left:

Trent Murphy 

Star Lawholalay

Vontae "I'm out" Davis

Corey Coleman...cut

Jeremy Kerley....cut

And holes everywhere. 

Judging by the results, the player personnel department could indeed use an overhaul. 

Without knowing their management structure, it's hard to tell what that overhaul is, though.  Maybe it's Beane - I believe he said he personally reviews every decision?

Maybe they bring him 3 choices and he deliberately picks the splashiest, highest ceiling lowest floor path each time.

I have felt for some time that the Bills medical evaluation process is flawed, and with Murphy and Davis that still seems to be an issue.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

So far since Gaine left:

Trent Murphy 

Star Lawholalay

Vontae "I'm out" Davis

Corey Coleman...cut

Jeremy Kerley....cut

And holes everywhere.  

Trent Murphy is fantastic in madden 19, so there that?