Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

If this report is true, then this tells me McD believed all along that Josh was ready, but because Nate didn't give him enough of a reason to start Josh OVER Peterman, he basically needed to start Nate in order to be a man of his word. He said whoever earned that right, and throughout the Pre-Season, Peterman *did* in fact earn that right. 

We can say all we want that none of us liked him or we knew he was going to be terrible, blah, blah, blah....in the end Peterman didn't do anything to justify taking the starting job away from him, from his first pass and Pre-Season game all the way through the last Pre-Season game. I can't figure out why Nate can be that good to be soooooooo bad when the lights come on for real - but no doubt he was and is....

This tells me McD knew Josh could play right away and probably wanted to start him right away, but as I said, he needed to keep his word to keep his credibility with his team to insure the locker room stayed tight for the season. IF this is true, then good for McD willing to admit he needs to change course and let the Rook go for the year and learn on the job. Experience is the best teacher.

because preseason performance does not translate to real games.....Peterman had a couple of good series....he never performed way above Allen or McCarron. Coaches watch these guys in practice every day....they need to evaluate better

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You can’t face your owners and tell them we’re starting the worst QB in the league, and have no chance of winning, because we’re afraid our prized rookie being hurt by our terrible OL coached by our terrible OL Coach because our terrible WR can’t get open, and our prized RB can’t run, because our terrible QB can’t get the other team to stop putting 8-9 in the box. 

The thing is, he already basically told them that before the season started and now has had to reverse himself.

Just now, blacklabel said:

And how else is he supposed to prove he's capable unless he plays? He needs to have the actual opportunity to prove it before he's written off as "didn't prove it." 

I think the double negative may have gotten you. I have wanted Allen to start since the day after the draft.

41 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It was inevitable I suppose.  I hope they bring a guy like Moore in as a vet in the film room.

Yeah, I know they've said they like their QB room but an experienced vet in there can help Allen a lot. I wonder if they look at Derek Anderson, cause, you know, #CarolinaConnection and all.

Just now, blacklabel said:

And how else is he supposed to prove he's capable unless he plays? He needs to have the actual opportunity to prove it before he's written off as "didn't prove it." 

Exactly...none of the Quarterbacks brought to camp were proven NFL starters. Peterman only has slightly more NFL experience than Josh Allen. How is Allen supposed to learn from that? Generally, when a rookie sits, they behind a proven NFL starter. There was no reason not to start Allen if the intent is to win.

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

He didn't. There were 6 sacks total in the game. 3 on Peterman and 3 on Allen.

My bad.  My app said 5 initially. Strange.  But still, 3 sacks in 15 attempts. And had to run another 4 times.  

Hes is a MAJOR upgrade over peterman mobility wise (and just about every other aspect) but dropping back and running every 3 pass plays is just not a good way to learn this position. Bad habits defitnely may arise. Hopefully Darnold starts to suck so he doesn’t have to hear about how his rival/friend is the king of NY and Allen is just a bum because he has zero support.  

Id love for the bills to get Quincy Enunwa.  Dudes a beast.  Too bad the jets will never let him go.

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

If this report is true, then this tells me McD believed all along that Josh was ready, but because Nate didn't give him enough of a reason to start Josh OVER Peterman, he basically needed to start Nate in order to be a man of his word. He said whoever earned that right, and throughout the Pre-Season, Peterman *did* in fact earn that right. 

We can say all we want that none of us liked him or we knew he was going to be terrible, blah, blah, blah....in the end Peterman didn't do anything to justify taking the starting job away from him, from his first pass and Pre-Season game all the way through the last Pre-Season game. I can't figure out why Nate can be that good to be soooooooo bad when the lights come on for real - but no doubt he was and is....

This tells me McD knew Josh could play right away and probably wanted to start him right away, but as I said, he needed to keep his word to keep his credibility with his team to insure the locker room stayed tight for the season. IF this is true, then good for McD willing to admit he needs to change course and let the Rook go for the year and learn on the job. Experience is the best teacher.

Bang on my friend....peterman did not give MCD the out to start Josh....Nate “won” the “competition”....if MCD didn’t start Nate then the whole thing was a sham and how to you deliver that to the team....Peterman threw up all over himself and open the door wide for Josh to start...This was honestly the best case scenario because it happened earlier than later....Josh is the franchise......it will go as he goes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Pretty sure Burple chose to be buried with his thread.

After he took $56.30 from me and I had to post a Peterman meme admitting defeat. I do feel vindicated though in that he was a complete and utter trainwreck. I don’t take joy in that but am glad that it’s over. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

My bad.  My app said 5 initially. Strange.  But still, 3 sacks in 15 attempts. And had to run another 4 times.  

Hes is a MAJOR upgrade over peterman mobility wise (and just about every other aspect) but dropping back and running every 3 pass plays is just not a good way to learn this position. Bad habits defitnely may arise. Hopefully Darnold starts to suck so he doesn’t have to hear about how his rival/friend is the king of NY and Allen is just a bum because he has zero support.  

Id love for the bills to get Quincy Enunwa.  Dudes a beast.  Too bad the jets will never let him go.

Hopefully Daboll can put down the donuts and script a handful of plays that will allow Allen to get comfortable out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Commonsense said:

Hopefully Daboll can put down the donuts and script a handful of plays that will allow Allen to get comfortable out there. 

Daboll will go by the wayside like so many other Bills OC hires: And why? This organization does not know how to draft a QB.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm trying to figure out the obsession with Peterman. 

It's truly mind boggling. 

Peterman had a good preseason and McD thought he learned from the rough time he had last season.  That would be my guess.

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

because preseason performance does not translate to real games.....Peterman had a couple of good series....he never performed way above Allen or McCarron. Coaches watch these guys in practice every day....they need to evaluate better

C'mon....that's a lame and easy explanation. Of course you can say, "Well, it's Pre-Season".....but if it isn't for evaluating players, then other than a glorified scrimmage, it doesn't mean anything. Pre-Season is in fact a way to evaluate players, it's one of the main reasons why it exists. So, evaluating Peterman in the Pre-Season during a live game (no, it's not the same - obviously) showed he was precise - somewhere around 80% completion percentage - getting TDs, NOT throwing INTs (just one that bounced off of Ivory that hit him in the hands and shoulder) and moving the Offense. That, was a masterful use of his skills and the playbook - and to go from that level of competence, to the utter debauchery that was Sunday - is just puzzling. 

I did NOT expect him to excel the way he did in Pre-Season, so I anticipated a drop-off in production and efficiency, but to go from Pre-Season to that excrement pile of garbage is just....stunning. Make all the short-cut explanations as you did, but that does not even come close to adequately answering the question why / how does Peterman demonstrate such a precipitous drop in production & ability from Pre-Season to game day? I don't know....I'm just asking the question and expecting not to get curt answers in response....

Edited by BigBuff423