Who is Beane’s next trade chip?

GoodHands15

30 minutes ago, GoodHands15 said:

Idk. KB I think might be their ‘Favoite Madden Player’...think they’ll extend him...Dude’s a big target if he can put a healthy season together.... They might want a little more than a 3rd for him. Maybe if Corey Colman turns out to be a stud...

Corey's been cut so that wont happen. I also don't see us trading Shady anytime soon.. Maybe after this season is over, but not too many teams are gonna dish out anything great for an aging RB.

If our season gets off to a horrible start & we're already too far behind to think playoffs, then maybe Beane will trade away some of our older vets before the deadline to teams in the playoff hunt. But I don't see much else happening until then

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

So if they do trade Shady say for a guard and a pick next year .., what would we be projecting our record to be this year?

Poor old JA would be hitting the ground running this year if that is the case..

The Bills are only a rookie guard away from being a dynasty! GET IT DONE OBD!

I doubt there's much of a market for McCoy, considering his age, mileage, position, and potential legal charges.

Looking back at all the trades McBeane have done, it's hard to really determine how many were good, or even necessary. There are definitely some nice ones in there, but at some point you really have to conserve talent instead of always cutting down.

We got a 6th round pick (turned into 5th; Wyatt Teller) for a young, pro-bowl DT in Dareus.

We got a 2nd round pick (#24 in the 2nd Rd- traded to Bucs in Josh Allen trade) & EJ Gaines (1-year & gone) for Sammy Watkins & a 6th round pick.

We got a 3rd round pick (#32 in the 3rd Rd - Harrison Phillips) & Jordan Matthews (1-year & gone) for Ronald Darby.

We got the #12 overall pick in Rd 1 (traded to Bucs in Allen trade) for our #21st pick in Rd 1 & Cordy Glenn. (They also swapped 5th & 6th Rd picks)

We got the #7 overall pick in Rd 1 (Josh Allen) for our #12th overall, and two 2nd round picks (#53 & #56)
We got a 3rd round pick (#1 in the 3rd Rd - traded to Baltimore to move up for Edmunds) for Tyrod Taylor
We got the #16 overall pick in Rd 1 (Tremaine Edmunds) for our #22nd pick in Rd 1 & the first pick of Rd 3 (#65 overall)

We got Kelvin Benjamin for a 3rd Rd pick (#85 overall) and a 7th Rd pick (#234 overall)
We got a 4th round pick in 2019 for our 2016 2nd Rd pick Reggie Ragland.

Sooo essentially we added & lost:

Wyatt Teller   <   Marcell Dareus

Josh Allen & EJ Gaines   <  Cordy Glenn, the 21st overall pick, two 2nd Round Picks, Sammy Watkins, and a 6th Round Pick

2019 4th Round Pick  <  Reggie Ragland

Harrison Phillips & Jordan Matthews  <   Ronald Darby

Tremaine Edmunds  <  The 22nd Overall Pick & Tyrod Taylor

Kelvin Benjamin  <   3rd Round Pick (#85 overall) & a 7th Round Pick (#234 overall)

Anyway, I can't really tell how much I like, and how much I don't. Some seem pretty solid, while others scare the hell out of me. For the record, I didn't include the 2017 draft trades, as Whaley presided over that one before McDermott & Beane were here. Anyway, I think any trade at this point would have to be for marginal picks. He doesn't have anyone of real note left to trade. He's all-in on Allen, and we don't have any highly coveted players that would command any significant draft picks (unless he wanted to get rid of Tre White lol)

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoodHands15 said:

Been thinking about this today. Interested to see what y’all good folk think. I have a terrible gut feeling that we’re going to trade Shady.

We all know Beane loves his draft capital. Problem is, we don’t have a Darby, or a Darius, or a Sammy for him to sling off for some 2-3 rounders. 

I love Shady. Top 5 back IMO. I just don’t see anyone else who could add value to another team for a half way decent haul.

I’d be curious what you guys think we could get for Shady. Tell me why it’s a foolish thought, or anyone else we could move for anything of value.

Sooner or later, Beane has to come to terms with the fact that his job is to build a football team, not just amass draft capital by "moving players for anything of value".

I give him a pass on Dareus because of reported 'tude problems and phoning it in from the team's highest paid player - can't have that while rebuilding culture.

I give him a conditional pass on Watkins because it was pretty clear Watkins was gonna want more this year than we'd want to pay him given his track record in town, so why not get something while you can (and possibly being slung out to LA adjusted Watkins attitude a bit).

But where does this call for continually swapping off our best, most productive players at a fire sale discount come from?  And if it's really Beane's style, he's gonna have to re-style for long term success.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sooner or later, Beane has to come to terms with the fact that his job is to build a football team, not just amass draft capital by "moving players for anything of value".

I give him a pass on Dareus because of reported 'tude problems and phoning it in from the team's highest paid player - can't have that while rebuilding culture.

I give him a conditional pass on Watkins because it was pretty clear Watkins was gonna want more this year than we'd want to pay him given his track record in town, so why not get something while you can (and possibly being slung out to LA adjusted Watkins attitude a bit).

But where does this call for continually swapping off our best, most productive players at a fire sale discount come from?  And if it's really Beane's style, he's gonna have to re-style for long term success.

Even though they said they weren't getting rid of players because they were acquired by the previous regime, the facts don't lie.  Who is left from before Rex was hired? Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes?  That's crazy.  Yes, the average NFL career is about 3 years, free agency makes it different and teams change over about 20% of their roster every year but this was a major purge.

Think of how many of the '90s Bills team played 5 years or more with them, and that's not even considering those that were for 10 + years.  Recently, the Seahawks have kept a large core together for a few years.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

7 hours ago, jr1 said:

he's starting to get old man injuries

I think they have some concerns over his off the field issues. There was the thing with the ex-girlfriend/squatter this summer and the brawl with the police the year before. I don't think they have to worry about banned substances with him but his judgment is legitimately questionable. So yeah, I wouldn't have to be revived with smelling salts if they traded him but he is just so damn good I don't see it happening. It would be the Patriot way to do things but I don't see Mac and the Beane going to the dark side of the force. 

I don’t think Beane is just looking to trade players willy-nilly for draft picks. Instead, he was smart enough to get value for guys he knew were not a fit. Every trade was for a reason - whether it be scheme fit, performance on the field, attitude/culture fit etc. 

I would be shocked if they traded McCoy. Unless someone blew them away with a trade offer, I just don’t see it happening. Beane’s not dumb. He knows the Bills offense runs thru shady, ans he knows there is no reason to trade him. Shady is bought in, fits any scheme, has a good attitude, is a leader on the team and is still performing at a high level. 

However, I could see Beane trading Adolphus Washington and/or Shaw Lawson. 

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It is not out of the realm of possibility......I dont expect him to be here after this year anyway especially at his salary

Why? His cap hit was at its highest last year - $10.375M vs $8.9M this year + $9.05M next year - and also paid out more in actual dollars last year ($7.75M vs $6.35M). 

The Bills even added incentives to his deal last year. 

Plus with how high RB salaries are climbing for the top guys, Shady’s deal doesn’t look that bad IMO. 

3 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Even though they said they weren't getting rid of players because they were acquired by the previous regime, the facts don't lie.  Who is left from before Rex was hired? Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes?  That's crazy.  Yes, the average NFL career is about 3 years, free agency makes it different and teams change over about 20% of their roster every year but this was a major purge.

Think of how many of the '90s Bills team played 5 years or more with them, and that's not even considering those that were for 10 + years.  Recently, the Seahawks have kept a large core together for a few years.

Heres a very good article that goes over the theory that Beane is getting rid of Whaley guys. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/6/5/17409612/brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott-doug-whaley-guys-tyrod-taylor-marell-dareus-general-manager-coach

It may look like that, but that is not really the case when you break it all down. 

This article does an excellent job going over all of the details. 

8 hours ago, GoodHands15 said:

Been thinking about this today. Interested to see what y’all good folk think. I have a terrible gut feeling that we’re going to trade Shady.

We all know Beane loves his draft capital. Problem is, we don’t have a Darby, or a Darius, or a Sammy for him to sling off for some 2-3 rounders. 

I love Shady. Top 5 back IMO. I just don’t see anyone else who could add value to another team for a half way decent haul.

I’d be curious what you guys think we could get for Shady. Tell me why it’s a foolish thought, or anyone else we could move for anything of value.

He won't do that ESPECIALLY if we start Josh Allen. Shady would be his only safety blanket on offense that can help him out. No way are they trading Shady.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

We’ll get a compensatory 3rd rounder for him if we let him walk, more than likely

No, that's a common misconception....... you don't get comp picks in the offseason that the player departs..........and as needy and cap rich/talent poor as the Bills are going to be next offseason.......they are VERY unlikely to end up on the positive side of that comp pick formulation in 2020.   

But let's suppose the Bills sign no FA and lose KB.............a 2020 comp pick in the #97-110 range is worth a lot less than a 2019 pick in the 65-96 range.   

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I doubt there's much of a market for McCoy, considering his age, mileage, position, and potential legal charges.

Looking back at all the trades McBeane have done, it's hard to really determine how many were good, or even necessary. There are definitely some nice ones in there, but at some point you really have to conserve talent instead of always cutting down.

We got a 6th round pick (turned into 5th; Wyatt Teller) for a young, pro-bowl DT in Dareus.

We got a 2nd round pick (#24 in the 2nd Rd- traded to Bucs in Josh Allen trade) & EJ Gaines (1-year & gone) for Sammy Watkins & a 6th round pick.

We got a 3rd round pick (#32 in the 3rd Rd - Harrison Phillips) & Jordan Matthews (1-year & gone) for Ronald Darby.

We got the #12 overall pick in Rd 1 (traded to Bucs in Allen trade) for our #21st pick in Rd 1 & Cordy Glenn. (They also swapped 5th & 6th Rd picks)

We got the #7 overall pick in Rd 1 (Josh Allen) for our #12th overall, and two 2nd round picks (#53 & #56)
We got a 3rd round pick (#1 in the 3rd Rd - traded to Baltimore to move up for Edmunds) for Tyrod Taylor
We got the #16 overall pick in Rd 1 (Tremaine Edmunds) for our #22nd pick in Rd 1 & the first pick of Rd 3 (#65 overall)

We got Kelvin Benjamin for a 3rd Rd pick (#85 overall) and a 7th Rd pick (#234 overall)
We got a 4th round pick in 2019 for our 2016 2nd Rd pick Reggie Ragland.

Sooo essentially we added & lost:

Wyatt Teller   <   Marcell Dareus

Josh Allen & EJ Gaines   <  Cordy Glenn, the 21st overall pick, two 2nd Round Picks, Sammy Watkins, and a 6th Round Pick

2019 4th Round Pick  <  Reggie Ragland

Harrison Phillips & Jordan Matthews  <   Ronald Darby

Tremaine Edmunds  <  The 22nd Overall Pick & Tyrod Taylor

Kelvin Benjamin  <   3rd Round Pick (#85 overall) & a 7th Round Pick (#234 overall)

Anyway, I can't really tell how much I like, and how much I don't. Some seem pretty solid, while others scare the hell out of me. For the record, I didn't include the 2017 draft trades, as Whaley presided over that one before McDermott & Beane were here. Anyway, I think any trade at this point would have to be for marginal picks. He doesn't have anyone of real note left to trade. He's all-in on Allen, and we don't have any highly coveted players that would command any significant draft picks (unless he wanted to get rid of Tre White lol)

Mathematically you answered the question!  Apparently you hate them all!

9 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

He played basketball....then he retired.....not sure if Beane could get anything for him......then again its Beane ;) 

Can Shaq play guard.  It would certainly take some time for the DL man to get around him, unless he runs between his legs.

9 hours ago, GoodHands15 said:

I could see this happening only if they get off to a real bad start, 2-5 some team who is in serious playoff contention and  has their RB injured and out for the year. Then a trade may happen and if desperate enough may get something decent in return.

I also do agree that barring a spectacular season like 1500 yards he'll be gone in the off-season, RB is the easiest position too for a rookie to come in and excel.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Perhaps I am reading into it too much but I've noticed a significant decrease in smug-ness from Beane.

This is the first time he's really been in charge of making personnel moves and I think he's finally feeling some concern.

He really needs this FA group to not go bust..........if Davis and Lotulelei and Murphy and Bodine all come up as short of expectations as they've shown in camp/preseason it will be the worst FA haul in team history........which is saying something.