Pats cut TD Mike Gillislee per CBS Sports

2 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I thought the same thing. He was never able to step his game up when he wasn’t inserted as the main ball carrier. I recall both jets games at the end of the ‘15 & ‘16 season where he couldn’t do much anything against the jets along with being unable to do anything against the phins in Miami in 2016 when shady went down. 

As an RB2, he was everything you could want. Defined strengths that mesh with the run game philosophy. He comes with limitations but you don't have to expose him to a ton of variety if he's just a bit-part player. As you said, once they had to open up the variety of his workload, he typically suffered.

His 2016 season wasn't just good, it was goddamn historic - https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/12615/mike-gillislee-had-the-most-efficient-rushing-season-of-the-century

14 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I remember some very angry people when I said that he might struggle to replicate efficiency over a larger sample size.

Larger sample size? 

He carried the ball 3 more times in 2017 than 2016.?

The Roman/Lynn system + Tyrod = very favorable to running back production.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Larger sample size? 

He carried the ball 3 more times in 2017 than 2016.?

The Roman/Lynn system + Tyrod = very favorable to running back production.

The sample size argument was pre-Pats move. The discussion about Mike being capable to hold down an RB1 role elsewhere (or even in Buffalo).

22 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

The sample size argument was pre-Pats move. The discussion about Mike being capable to hold down an RB1 role elsewhere (or even in Buffalo).

Meh.........McCoy's ypc dropped nearly as much last year in a different system. 

It wasn't really a sample size issue........that implies that MG was winning physical battles in the run game when fresh but couldn't do so with more exposure.

He was never overwhelming people at the LOS or breaking ankles.

The key with MG was his ability to precisely follow the design of the greatest run game designer of the 21st century.

And not every back has the patience or footwork to hit his marks like that.    Took McCoy a season to figure that out.

100 carries or 200 carries..........it wasn't about physically dominating defenders........the holes were there for EVERYONE.

Daboll would be wise to re-incorporate that aggressive blocking attack.........these OL can't pass block a bit.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Looks like you're on the Hooks for being wrong Bobby! ;)

How so? The thread is accurately titled and gives the reader important info, letting him/her decide if they’d like to know more.  If you had it your way people would have to go to a what if thread on a whim, and somehow make it all the way to the end of the 30 pages of opinions to find out tha Gillislee was cut. 

Do we have to keep checking the draft day thread to find out if Allen is starting because he was mentioned in that one? New info, deserves new threads. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

How so? The thread is accurately titled. If you had it your way people would have to go to a what if thread on a whim, and somehow make it all the way to the end of the 30 pages of opinions to find out tha Gillislee was cut. 

Do we have to keep checking the draft day thread to find out if Allen is starting because he was mentioned in that one? New info, deserves new threads. 

It was merged and re-titled with the previous thread with the already ongoing conversation after MG was cut.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It was merged and re-titled with the previous thread with the already ongoing conversation after MG was cut.

Nice try, but no, the thread you posted still had “what if” as the title... as much as you’d like to deny it your rock solid board cred has taken a hit today. 

Beware, like sharks, board members can smell blood in the water from miles away! 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

Nice try, but no... as much as you’d like to deny it your rock solid board cred has taken a hit today. 

Beware, like sharks, board members can smell blood in the water from miles away! 

Sure it did and I'll not be able to sleep tonight.  Look at the date this thread was created. :lol:

On 8/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

<Moderator edited to save a warning>Sony Michel their rd 1 RB is hurt.  Gilisslee is a lock for the PAts.  Why not start a thread asking if we should pick up Brady if he gets cut.

This post didnt age well. 

Edited by Idandria
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:19 AM, MAJBobby said:

However does this hurt BB genius status??  I notice he does have ALOT of misses but yet is always a genius with every signing.

BB seems to me to be an improvement at picking college prospects, where DW was better at picking up FA's.

Maybe we can petition OBD to rehire DW in a limited capacity to assist with FA's.

Or split the job, and call them WhaleyBeanes..................................Martavious WhaleyBeanes.............

On 8/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think we do.  Get the playbook then cut his azz after Pats** game.

Assuming he knows the playbook.....I always wondered how hard or digital copies of the playbook are controlled. If my team handed me a hardcopy I'd PDF the whole book at home just in case. I might be a coach one day....leverage it to get a roster spot....or just keep it for memorabilia, and cash in on eBay.

2 minutes ago, The Process said:

Assuming he knows the playbook.....I always wondered how hard or digital copies of the playbook are controlled. If my team handed me a hardcopy I'd PDF the whole book at home just in case. I might be a coach one day....leverage it to get a roster spot....or just keep it for memorabilia, and cash in on eBay.

They are kept on tablets these days. 

50 minutes ago, section122 said:

I stand by my original prediction of the td mike signing was a bluff by bb trying to force the Bills to match a bad contract.  The Bills called their bluff and got an extra 5th out of the deal.

May have been. 

Maybe BB was trying to feel out who McD and Beane are, trying to see what he is dealing with, getting to know the enemy.

20 minutes ago, pop gun said:

May have been. 

Maybe BB was trying to feel out who McD and Beane are, trying to see what he is dealing with, getting to know the enemy.

I personally think he misread the analytics on Gillislee. He was signed due to his “efficiency” but I think that was more due to the OL, scheme, Mobile QB in Buffalo, and how he was used here. He isn’t built to be a short yardage back like the way BB wanted to use him. He scored most of his TDs outside the red zone in Buffalo.