My Buffalo Experience

I'm a life long Bills fan from So. California who went to a Bills game in Buffalo for the first time last year (I've to some of their games in CA, not fun rooting for the road team)!  Anyway, my experience was so awesome it's hard to describe to non-Bills fans.  The unity of a community who has had to deal with some tough emotional decades both highs and too many lows!  The difference with being there at the game with 60K Bill's fans all wanting the same thing that we have been hoping for someday, a Championship!  I was left impressed with the community (craziness with tailgating and all) that we are one and can support each other daily through this forum.  Keep being supportive of fellow Bills fans (especially in this forum), we are one!  I love Buffalo and the community!  Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

I'm a life long Bills fan from So. California who went to a Bills game in Buffalo for the first time last year (I've to some of their games in CA, not fun rooting for the road team)!  Anyway, my experience was so awesome it's hard to describe to non-Bills fans.  The unity of a community who has had to deal with some tough emotional decades both highs and too many lows!  The difference with being there at the game with 60K Bill's fans all wanting the same thing that we have been hoping for someday, a Championship!  I was left impressed with the community (craziness with tailgating and all) that we are one and can support each other daily through this forum.  Keep being supportive of fellow Bills fans (especially in this forum), we are one!  I love Buffalo and the community!  Go Bills!!

Thank you for the kind words...

there is no city or Community in the world like  Buffalo. I surely will be buried here 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

there is no city or Community in the world like  Buffalo. I surely will be buried here 

Agreed.  I left Buffalo 30+ years ago but have not felt as at home anywhere else in the years since.  I have been trying to convince my Pats*** bride to move back since the day we were married to no avail.  I haven't given up ;-)

58 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Agreed.  I left Buffalo 30+ years ago but have not felt as at home anywhere else in the years since.  I have been trying to convince my Pats*** bride to move back since the day we were married to no avail.  I haven't given up ?

Divorce is always an option as well ??‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Buffalo has a strange attraction. People are very nice and welcoming. However the poverty and blue collar mindset kills the vibe. 

Not too sure what happened back in the day, but someone really screwed up that city. They struggle for peanuts when the rest of the country flourishes. 

What generation ruined Buffalo?

the boomers or the generation before them?

NYC is just an excuse. 

It’s like America’s Mexico. You could literally move somewhere else, make 3x of what you could in Buffalo, save up,  then move back rich; retire a king. 

7 minutes ago, COTC said:

Buffalo has a strange attraction. People are very nice and welcoming. However the poverty and blue collar mindset kills the vibe. 

Not too sure what happened back in the day, but someone really screwed up that city. They struggle for peanuts when the rest of the country flourishes. 

NYC is just an excuse. 

It’s like America’s Mexico. You could literally move somewhere else, make 3x of what you could in Buffalo, save up,  then move back rich; retire a king. 

Serious question: You've been to Buffalo and said "this place is nice, but the poverty is killing the vibe?"

Edited by stony
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, stony said:

Serious question: You've been to Buffalo and said "this place is nice, but the poverty is killing the vibe?"

Did my undergrad at UB. A season ticket holder since 2001. Yes, every time I’m in the city, I think that. It has potential. 

Buffalo is  making huge strides recently and it seems in the road to a comeback. You read lots of positive press from national publications these days. I think there was a terrible mindset that started in the 60’s and continued into the 70’s where the powers that be thought it was good to rip down buildings that should have been saved. Lots of these buildings were not replaced and there are large parts of downtown that are empty. Corrupt politicians didn’t help and economic development stagnated. That seems to be a thing of the past though and you see incredible redevelopment projects now. Population loss has stopped. I think Buffalo has a good future ahead. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

It's really great. I drive over 6 hours to get to the games for exactly what you describe.  Just great. 

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The poverty level in Buffalo is not as bad as you make it sound 

i walk the streets everyday and it’s 100x better than 10 years and it’s still improving 

i was just in LA. They have a serious poverty problem 

Sure do.  The homelessness situation is out of control out here.  A lot of mental illness; a lot of veterans; but a growing number of people who simply cannot afford the exorbitant housing prices, when paired with the general high cost of living.  

There are so many people living in cars and tent cities.  I don't know what the reckoning will be but it's coming.  L.A. Won't want the Olympics and World Cup events to expose this to the world.

1 hour ago, SF Bills Fan said:

Population loss has stopped. I think Buffalo has a good future ahead. 

Has it actually stopped though? I've never lived in Buffalo, but man I love the city. I've been waiting patiently for the news to come one day that Buffalo has actually grown year over year. That would be true sign the city is on the rebound & would make me thrilled! Even if the population only grew by 4 total people, that would be insanely good news :)

19 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Sure do.  The homelessness situation is out of control out here.  A lot of mental illness; a lot of veterans; but a growing number of people who simply cannot afford the exorbitant housing prices, when paired with the general high cost of living.  

There are so many people living in cars and tent cities.  I don't know what the reckoning will be but it's coming.  L.A. Won't want the Olympics and World Cup events to expose this to the world.

And it’s nothing against your beautiful city... just pointing out that the homeless problem in Buffalo is not as bad as a lot of cities 

sure we got the welfare mommas with 12 kids and all that And some gang bangers but I talk to them too and they are human 

sometimes all they want is to be treated as such

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

I'll add that the channel 7 broadcast of the Bills game I streamed was/is awesome. They are still talking about the game in reports. After a Rams' games we get 5 minutes of Eric Dickerson talking with that news anchor about the game. It is even a low quality production, akin to Wally George Show video quality. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

And it’s nothing against your beautiful city... just pointing out that the homeless problem in Buffalo is not as bad as a lot of cities 

sure you got the welfare mommas with 12 kids and all that And some gang bangers but I talk to them too and they are human 

sometimes all they want is to be treated as such

I don't take L.A. Personally at all.  It's cool, but it's not "home". I take Buffalo and D.C. personally.  Especially Buff though.  I've had some words over the years with people who talk slick about Buff.  And I havent lived there Year around since I was 6. It's like they're talking bad about me and my family.  And that's a hell nah, all day long. ✋?

4 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I don't take L.A. Personally at all.  It's cool, but it's not "home". I take Buffalo and D.C. personally.  Especially Buff though.  I've had some words over the years with people who talk slick about Buff.  And I havent lived there Year around since I was 6. It's like they're talking bad about me and my family.  And that's a hell nah, all day long. ✋?

Lol ? and that part about the gangbangers and welfare baby mommas... I meant to say we, not you lol

that is also a buffalo problem ?

3 hours ago, arcane said:

What game did you go to?

Unfortunately our worst game of the year, the Saints game.  As bad as the game went the experience lifted me through the loss.  Niagra Falls was amazing!

One other thing my trip provided was finding WGR 550 Sports which I now listen to daily through the app.  This gives me the feeling of being local with our team and all the news/updates I was never getting in CA.  So that's pretty cool too!  Love Sal Cappaccio!!

Edited by BuffaloButt
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, COTC said:

NYC is just an excuse. 

This is a pretty uneducated point of view, and an ignorance of history. The reason why, Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland, put Rochester in it, Pittsburgh, I'm sure I'm missing a few other is because of the decline of manufacturing and cities being built upon one or two businesses. As an economy grows, it specializes and manufacturing gets phased out. It's pretty basic stuff... I'd expect someone who has it all figured out like you do to understand a basic macroeconomics concept. 

The economy moved on, and despite what you're saying, the cost of living is not great here compared to the rest of the country. The income and property taxes are among highest in the nation. I'm not sure who you are comparing Buffalo to when it comes to cost of living, NYC? Toronto? Miami? Some where in Cali? Chicago? Philadelphia? Because outside of that, Buffalo and those cities I mentioned aren't much cheaper than other markets in the country. Maybe I left out Austin? Houston and Dallas? 

This post is just so dumb it's amazing. Are you trolling? What are you comparing Buffalo to? Because sure, the same ranch in La Jolla will cost you 5x what it does in Buffalo, but thats just an idiot talking who would compare the two.

I love it also, the just, move out of Buffalo they'll give you 6 figures for nothing bro. Then you come back and live like a king. Are you on some cheech and chong ****?

And the rest of the country is thriving? Am I speaking to the POS, I mean, the POTUS himself?

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Where do you live now?

Where is he from? Actually both are good questions, because if he has been a season ticket holder since 01 and still doesn't know why this region of the country declined so greatly... I'd take anything he has to say with a grain of salt and now I'm questioning UB's academics.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

time to move North  ...too many natural disasters there anyway :D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, COTC said:

Did my undergrad at UB. A season ticket holder since 2001. Yes, every time I’m in the city, I think that. It has potential. 

Just a weird way to phrase it, I guess.

Edited by stony

Buffalo is certainly unique, and the love for the Bills is unconditional.

I was just back in town for a week. While I see many things that reinforce why I left, I see other things that I miss (beef on weck is not THAT hard, why other cities don't have it blows my mind) , and signs of hope & change on the horizon. 

Glad you had fun! 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

8 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Unfortunately our worst game of the year, the Saints game.  As bad as the game went the experience lifted me through the loss.  Niagra Falls was amazing!

One other thing my trip provided was finding WGR 550 Sports which I now listen to daily through the app.  This gives me the feeling of being local with our team and all the news/updates I was never getting in CA.  So that's pretty cool too!  Love Sal Cappaccio!!

Hopefully you can come back soon and get a better game!

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

i could never translate my enjoyment of going to Bills games to co-workers who weren't big NFL fans...

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This is a pretty uneducated point of view, and an ignorance of history. The reason why, Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland, put Rochester in it, Pittsburgh, I'm sure I'm missing a few other is because of the decline of manufacturing and cities being built upon one or two businesses. As an economy grows, it specializes and manufacturing gets phased out. It's pretty basic stuff... I'd expect someone who has it all figured out like you do to understand a basic macroeconomics concept. 

The economy moved on, and despite what you're saying, the cost of living is not great here compared to the rest of the country. The income and property taxes are among highest in the nation. I'm not sure who you are comparing Buffalo to when it comes to cost of living, NYC? Toronto? Miami? Some where in Cali? Chicago? Philadelphia? Because outside of that, Buffalo and those cities I mentioned aren't much cheaper than other markets in the country. Maybe I left out Austin? Houston and Dallas? 

This post is just so dumb it's amazing. Are you trolling? What are you comparing Buffalo to? Because sure, the same ranch in La Jolla will cost you 5x what it does in Buffalo, but thats just an idiot talking who would compare the two.

I love it also, the just, move out of Buffalo they'll give you 6 figures for nothing bro. Then you come back and live like a king. Are you on some cheech and chong ****?

And the rest of the country is thriving? Am I speaking to the POS, I mean, the POTUS himself?

Where is he from? Actually both are good questions, because if he has been a season ticket holder since 01 and still doesn't know why this region of the country declined so greatly... I'd take anything he has to say with a grain of salt and now I'm questioning UB's academics.

B, You need to calm down and control your emotions. 

Your tone and and lack of respect is uncalled and frankly unfounded. 

I see that you were triggered (not my intent), but you need to get a grip.

Take a deep breath and think before you react. 

Kk

Have A Great Day. You are special and important!!! Don’t ever forget that. 

9 minutes ago, COTC said:

B, You need to calm down and control your emotions. 

Your tone and and lack of respect is uncalled and frankly unfounded. 

I see that you were triggered (not my intent), but you need to get a grip.

Take a deep breath and think before you react. 

Kk

Have A Great Day. You are special and important!!! Don’t ever forget that. 

football's return can help with this syndrome, the Bills winning even more (pending)...

Buffalo Butt, welcome aboard! Most of us Bills fans grew up in WNY. With that, grows a unique, and I do mean unique,very deep & personal love for the team. The team is

like family for us. Been that way ever since 1960. When they lose, we hurt, and I mean personally. But when they win, we fell like we won the lottery the whole next week.

Another dynamic of this is, non-Bills fans don't get it! And I mean they just don't get it! For instance, all during those 17 yrs w/out playoffs, they don't understand the

loyalty. Over those years I've tried to explain to a few of them, and it's like I'm speaking a foreign language to them You can see it in their eyes.

So, come on board & enjoy the ride. It's gonna be good!!!

16 hours ago, COTC said:

NYC is just an excuse. 

Comments like “poverty and blue collar mindset kills the vibe”  are really kind of odd.  You get worse after that.  Struggle for peanuts? Rest of the nation flourishes?  

The comment about which generation “ruined Buffalo” illustrates a lack of education.  Calling it America’s Mexico indicates a lack of sensitivity.  

Makes me disappointed if you really are a UB grad, which I seriously doubt.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Buffalo Butt, welcome aboard! Most of us Bills fans grew up in WNY. With that, grows a unique, and I do mean unique,very deep & personal love for the team. The team is

like family for us. Been that way ever since 1960. When they lose, we hurt, and I mean personally. But when they win, we fell like we won the lottery the whole next week.

Another dynamic of this is, non-Bills fans don't get it! And I mean they just don't get it! For instance, all during those 17 yrs w/out playoffs, they don't understand the

loyalty. Over those years I've tried to explain to a few of them, and it's like I'm speaking a foreign language to them You can see it in their eyes.

So, come on board & enjoy the ride. It's gonna be good!!!

It’s way more than just the team for me. It’s my city, my home 

we all share that personal bond with the Bills, but within that is my bond for the city... the vibe that carries over from year to year on the Bills, and the traditions passed down from father to son are only something that Buffalonians and transplants would get

• Like (+1) 1

One of the many, many reasons that the Bills were never going to leave Buffalo was because contrary to popular and ill-informed belief, the NFL loves Buffalo as a location. People moving out of Buffalo to LA or other cities around the country remain Buffalo fans as strongly as they ever were, which isn't always true of other cities. And they are the ones that order Sunday Ticket and still buy tons of NFL merchandise and frequent sports bars and go on social media to still follow/watch the Bills, which the NFL loves even more than fans staying in their cities. 

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

we all share that personal bond with the Bills, but within that is my bond for the city... the vibe that carries over from year to year on the Bills, and the traditions passed down from father to son are only something that Buffalonians and transplants would get

Bulls tomorrow,baby!! I'm pumped.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well said, 716.

Buffalo's a great town to be from, but a hard place to live if you ever spent time anywhere else. The job market sucks for anything remotely 21rst century. I've moved away 3 times, but I have a feeling I'll always find my way back. Haven't been back to see anyone in 4 years, do it's probably time to stop in.

Right now I just can't afford to live there and make a living, but maybe 50 years from now when my student debt is paid off I can die at Nick's diner eating a ham skillet breakfast.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Buffalo's a great town to be from, but a hard place to live if you ever spent time anywhere else. The job market sucks for anything remotely 21rst century. I've moved away 3 times, but I have a feeling I'll always find my way back. Haven't been back to see anyone in 4 years, do it's probably time to stop in.

Right now I just can't afford to live there and make a living, but maybe 50 years from now when my student debt is paid off I can die at Nick's diner eating a ham skillet breakfast.

I took a job in NYC after college.  Two years later I got a raise to move to Rochester.  Four years later, I got a raise to move to Buffalo.  I have a golden horseshoe up my butt, I guess.   

19 minutes ago, stony said:

I took a job in NYC after college.  Two years later I got a raise to move to Rochester.  Four years later, I got a raise to move to Buffalo.  I have a golden horseshoe up my butt, I guess.   

Definitely. I made less money coming back to Buffalo after a promotion and 4 years experience than I did as a fresh grad of 3 weeks in Seattle. I effectively capped the salary range for my profession in Buffalo at age 25. I immediately doubled my salary upon moving to Austin.