After breaking playoff drought, Bills brass says there's no taking steps back

Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott say they've set the standard even higher for 2018

If anyone thinks breaking the longest postseason drought in North American professional sports has allowed the two men running the Buffalo Bills to feel they’ve bought themselves a free year, so to speak, and are willing to take a step back, think again.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/after-breaking-playoff-drought-bills-brass-says-theres-no-taking-steps-back-2018

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

YOLO is on TOP of his game. High level meetings must be in the PM.

Thanks for posting. That was a good read and you continue, through articles like this, to see how closely aligned they are. That is a very good thing that when coupled with the talent I think both have points to a very bright future for our team.

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Like (+1) 2

Well, that's all well and good that they are setting their standard high but let's be honest: we are probably taking a step back this year.

We have a QB competition between a career backup, a scrub who set records for interceptions, and a rookie who very likely needs time to adjust. Throw in a completely reworked O-line and not a ton of talent in receiving options, the team will likely have a worse offense than last year.

And I have made peace with that. 2019 is when the dead cap comes back, and Allen hopefully is seasoned.

1 minute ago, ALF said:

The Bills needed the highest draft pick possible in 2018 to get a QB. If  they would not tank then,  McD and Beane never will. 

Can you believe that there were people last year that we’re saying just that? Sammy? Gonzo! Darby? Gonzo?

i just hope that those threads cannot be resurrected so that I can maintain my innocence.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Look, joking aside people, who here thinks that we will be better than 9-7 this year?

I would be ecstatic if they are. I don't want us trolling for a better pick. But I don't see us having a better record this year.

“Better” might not equate to a better record, that is for sure. I see 6-8ish wins this season, but I also expect them to be a better team by the end. 

Pollyannaish of me?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

“Better” might not equate to a better record, that is for sure. I see 6-8ish wins this season, but I also expect them to be a better team by the end. 

Pollyannaish of me?

No, that sounds right to me. I expect the defense to be better after with Star and Phillips bolstering the center, and Edmunds and Milano at LB. I expect to see a lot of nickel, or 3 safeties.

For the offense, assuming that they are overall worse, but Dawkins and Teller get seasoned. I agree that I think that by the end of the season we are going to be salivating over a few free agent prospects and dreaming of 2019.

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

No, that sounds right to me. I expect the defense to be better after with Star and Phillips bolstering the center, and Edmunds and Milano at LB. I expect to see a lot of nickel, or 3 safeties.

For the offense, assuming that they are overall worse, but Dawkins and Teller get seasoned. I agree that I think that by the end of the season we are going to be salivating over a few free agent prospects and dreaming of 2019.

The timing is very similar to what the Jags did, that is assuming that players like Milano, Dawkins and White improve and don’t regress. Nail a few drafts, clear dead money, have a boatload of cap room with which you can bolster the roster. I’m excited, not in love with the OC hire though. 

57 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Trust the process.

I might in the minority but I hate that saying.  1) it’s not close to original 2). If they are 5-11 and 4-12 the next 2 years, they can keep repeating trust the process.  3). The 76ers, who have been trusting the process way before us, had to seat through 5 years of awful basketball.  

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I might in the minority but I hate that saying.  1) it’s not close to original 2). If they are 5-11 and 4-12 the next 2 years, they can keep repeating trust the process.  3). The 76ers, who have been trusting the process way before us, had to seat through 5 years of awful basketball.  

The 6ers process isn’t the same as the Bills. Same phrase different process. 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, ALF said:

The more I hear about and watch  Daboll , the more confident I get about the potential of the offense. The next free agency and draft should tie up loose ends for him.

Do you have any articles you would recommend? I would enjoy getting a feel for how he might run things.

Great interview.  The Bills are in good hands.  I know a lot of you are still questioning their ability to field a competent NFL offense but I believe we'll see significant strides throughout this season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott say they've set the standard even higher for 2018

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/after-breaking-playoff-drought-bills-brass-says-theres-no-taking-steps-back-2018

One of the best interviews I have read of these guys in a LONG time. Thank you YoloinOhio!:beer:

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Pollyannaish of me?

Pollyannish?  Yepper.  To paraphrase Bill Parcels, "you are what your record says you are".

16 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Pollyannish?  Yepper.  To paraphrase Bill Parcels, "you are what your record says you are".

So you would prefer what?

(and quoting Bill Parcels in 2018 has no relavence, he is a dinosaur, extinct. Might as well pull out some Ditka while you’re at it)

9 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So you would prefer what?

(and quoting Bill Parcels in 2018 has no relavence, he is a dinosaur, extinct. Might as well pull out some Ditka while you’re at it)

yes, the parade of Bills coaches since Wade had ZERO impact on two decades of the suckiest sucking suckfest.

Beane and McDermott say they've set the standard even higher for 2018

WGR_TalentImage_SalCapaccio_775x425.png?
Sal Capaccio
July 19, 2018 - 6:59 am
McDermott1.jpg?itok=WxcYGUGo&c=de682a735ee24a3b602278a0c4126971

Photo: Aaron Doster - USA TODAY Sports

If anyone thinks breaking the longest postseason drought in North American professional sports has allowed the two men running the Buffalo Bills to feel they’ve bought themselves a free year, so to speak, and are willing to take a step back, think again.

"That's not in our DNA,” general manager Brandon Beane said, sitting next to head coach Sean McDermott.  “I don't even have to ask him (points to McDermott) if that's him.  We're wired to win every day.  You watch him out there, the practice, do you see any less? I mean, the tempo, everything, they've got to a T.”

I don't know why this concept is so foreign to fans.  The front office has been explicit in wanting to build a culture of winning; and of confidence.  If they can win some games early, there's no reason to believe that they can't be a playoff team again this year.  It hinges on QB play and the ability of the defense to improve from last year.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

.In this case you can blame the sports media, dumping TT started all the BS

Meh, not entirely I think. 

Not just TT, but Sammy, Woods, Gilmore last season then Wood, Incognito, Glenn going into this season - the offense took a step back last season and it's hard not to see it as poised for a further step back this season.

It all depends upon whether Daboll really is a better answer at OC I guess, and/or how much of last year was on personnel and how much on Dennison

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Pollyannaish of me?

Yes.

8 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, that's all well and good that they are setting their standard high but let's be honest: we are probably taking a step back this year.

We have a QB competition between a career backup, a scrub who set records for interceptions, and a rookie who very likely needs time to adjust. Throw in a completely reworked O-line and not a ton of talent in receiving options, the team will likely have a worse offense than last year.

And I have made peace with that. 2019 is when the dead cap comes back, and Allen hopefully is seasoned.

glad you made peace with that....please be sure to come back next year....until then....

8 hours ago, ALF said:

The Bills needed the highest draft pick possible in 2018 to get a QB. If  they would not tank then,  McD and Beane never will. 

they made the playoffs....albeit miraculously,  but we did get better in the off season and will compete again this year. just because we lost richie and eric does not in any way mean we will be worse than the 29th ranked offense or 31st in passing yds. again this year. cmon people....think about it...we actually get a passing game added to our team!

Guys, I hardly ever post. However I had to on this topic. 

We were 29th in total O and 31st in Passing last year. 

Had TT who wouldn’t throw and NP threw 5 interceptions in the first half. 

Do do you really think we can do worse?  Common Man!!  Our defense in the 2nd year will improve, If we can get “a” passing game going to complement Shady, and I think Ivory is a “bit”faster than the Slowdozer, then why could we not equal last year without those 3 freakin blow outs. 

I just font see 3-5 wins. So go ahead and flame me. 

My bad, started writing my post and had to break away for an hour and didn’t see the post from Billsredneck1   

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Look, joking aside people, who here thinks that we will be better than 9-7 this year?

I would be ecstatic if they are. I don't want us trolling for a better pick. But I don't see us having a better record this year.

Its the same for me as last year. As long as as i see a cohesive play to the whistle never give up Team? I will remain vigilant in my belief we are on the right path.
whether the record is better is not as important as does the team improve is some ways.
Like stopping the gashing runs.
screens to Tolbert. Turnstile at RT on passing downs.
Throwing the ball to the open receiver.

these little things getting fixed will keep me cheering. I ain't in no danged hurry to win the SB. I want Bills to contend for years.
It will come.

the stars will align

11 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

19-0

The Senator would agree !!!!

6 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

I don't know why this concept is so foreign to fans.  The front office has been explicit in wanting to build a culture of winning; and of confidence.  If they can win some games early, there's no reason to believe that they can't be a playoff team again this year.  It hinges on QB play and the ability of the defense to improve from last year.  

Simple. We have been getting half arsed efforts for decades