[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

17 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Loved it!

Rewatch this play again and pay attention to Eichel's lower hand. He reverses it on the stick to feign as if he's going to draw the puck back and suck in the opposing Center. He then pokes the puck through his opponent's legs and makes the laser pass to Skinner with his hand STILL inverted.

Now that is an elite play. Wow.

• Thank you (+1) 1

time for my annual rant

Hockey is not meant to be played at 1:PM on freaking Saturday afternoon!!! I hate these afternoon games!!!

For gods sake, Saturday was Hockey NIGHT in Canada for a reason...the games are played at NIGHT!!!! It aint Hockey Afternoon!

Montreal game day after Thanksgiving at 4PM...WTF is that???(actually i am okay with that one lol)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

cut.jpg

Game Preview: 11/10/18 vs. Vancouver

GAME-DAY RESOURCES

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Thursday, November 8
Buffalo 6 at Montreal 5 (OT)
Goals: Sobotka (2), Skinner (2), Sheary, Ristolainen
Goalie: Ullmark (27 saves/32 shots)/Hutton (5 saves/5 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 5/5; Shots: Montreal 37 – Buffalo 31

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 61)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 16 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 16 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/6: Activated F Sean Malone from IR; assigned Malone to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Nov. 13: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 16: Buffalo at Winnipeg, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 17: Buffalo at Minnesota, 6 p.m.
Monday, Nov. 19: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 21: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.

TODAY’S GAME
LIGHTNING at SABRES
  • This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Canucks this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Vancouver 4-0 in Vancouver on Jan. 25
  • Next meeting: Friday, Jan. 18 in Vancouver
  • The Sabres are 3-7-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Canucks; 6-4-0 at home
  • This is the 121st game all-time between Buffalo and Vancouver; Buffalo has a 49-52-19 series record.
  • The Sabres are 31-21-8 at home against the Canucks all-time.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

time for my annual rant

Hockey is not meant to be played at 1:PM on freaking Saturday afternoon!!! I hate these afternoon games!!!

For gods sake, Saturday was Hockey NIGHT in Canada for a reason...the games are played at NIGHT!!!! It aint Hockey Afternoon!

Montreal game day after Thanksgiving at 4PM...WTF is that???(actually i am okay with that one lol)

You have become a straitjacketed traditionalist. Loosen up and little and go with the flow. Fulminating about how great the good old days were when they were really not can be taxing. The rule book of What and When you are referring to doesn't exist. It is a figment of your tightly scripted imagination. :)

PS Chicks dig surprises. :thumbsup: 

• Haha (+1) 2

Projected Lineup

19 Jake McCabe - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
Marco Scandella - 4 Zach Bogosian 
82 Nathan Beaulieu - 26 Rasmus Dahlin

40 Carter Hutton 
35 Linus Ullmark

14 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

New Sabres Beat Writer for Buffalo News:

https://twitter.com/LLysowski

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lance-lysowski-baa08b28

I don't get linkedin lately.  It now says just about that I'm 3rd  with just about everybody.  Meaning I'm linked in to somebody they are or maybe two away.............But, it never says how anymore. 

For those who don't appreciate Reinhart as much as I do I say stand back and more carefully watch him play.  He has the hockey instincts and intelligence that are at an elite level. It's understandable that power players get the most attention. However, his exquisite passes such as the one to Skinner are a beauty to behold.

I predict that in the not to distant future K-9 and Plenzmd1 will be vying with each other to be the honorary president of the Sampson Reinhart fan club. :)

I didn't see the first period but I thought that Vancouver had the edge in play in this game. Hutton played well but gave up one goal that I thought was soft. A win is a win. It's fun to have a team in the playoff hunt. Last year, we were both the worst team and most boring team in the league. This year , we are a playoff competitive team and a fun team to watch. I'm hoping that Beane can have an offseason to match Botterill's! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

For those who don't appreciate Reinhart as much as I do I say stand back and more carefully watch him play.  He has the hockey instincts and intelligence that are at an elite level. It's understandable that power players get the most attention. However, his exquisite passes such as the one to Skinner are a beauty to behold.

I predict that in the not to distant future K-9 and Plenzmd1 will be vying with each other to be the honorary president of the Sampson Reinhart fan club. :)

I didn't see the first period but I thought that Vancouver had the edge in play in this game. Hutton played well but gave up one goal that I thought was soft. A win is a win. It's fun to have a team in the playoff hunt. Last year, we were both the worst team and most boring team in the league. This year , we are a playoff competitive team and a fun team to watch. I'm hoping that Beane can have an offseason to match Botterill's! 

Yeah, you'd be correct.  Vancouver was the better team for 55 min.  But I'll take it!

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

SR has had a couple good games in a row. It’s a start. He’s done that in the past before disappearing for long stretches. If he finds consistency in his game’, he can be a legit top six forward in this league. Plenz and I have never suggested otherwise. But I’ll believe he’s arrived when I see he’s arrived. He’s fooled me before. 

Regarding Hutton, his stellar play kept the game close while our D was getting its ass handed to it so I’ll forgive him for a couple bad goals allowed. 

Speaking of our D, we have issues on the back end. 

And unless Girgensons is injured, Housley cannot sit him. That fourth line has been very good for us this year, our best fourth line in I don’t know how long and it makes a difference, especially late in games. 

Question for the board: did they ever say what happened to Eichel? He didn’t look right.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (8-6-2) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 18 vs. TBL at 7:30 PM ET on 11/13

Post-Game Report: 11/10 vs. Vancouver

Final Score
  1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final SOG
Canucks
(10-6-2)
0 2 1 0 0 3 39
Sabres
(9-6-2)
1 0 2 0 1 4 37

Top Notes
  • With the win, the Sabres improved to 6-0-2 when leading after the first period and 2-6-2 when trailing after two.
  • Buffalo is now 5-2-1 against the Pacific Division this season and 4-0-0 in afternoon games.
  • The win came in the Sabres’ first shootout of the season. The team is now 71-66 all-time in shootouts.
  • Carter Hutton stopped two of three shots in the shootout to improve his career shootout record to 9-5. His nine wins tie for seventh-most among active NHL goaltenders.
  • Sam Reinhart recorded two points (1+1) today. The Sabres are now 8-0-0 this season when he records a point and 24-2-3 (.879) in his career when he tallies at least two.
  • Rasmus Dahlin (0+2) recorded his first career multi-point game.
  • With his assist on Nathan Beaulieu’s goal, Kyle Okposo now has 12 points (2+10) in his last 10 games against the Canucks, including at least a point in each of his last four.
  • Rasmus Ristolainen recorded two assists today and now has at least a point in each of his last four meetings with the Canucks.
Today’s Goaltenders

Today’s Stats
Team Goaltender Decision SV% GAA
Canucks Markstrom O .919 2.77
Sabres Hutton W .923 2.80
Updated Season Stats
Team Goaltender Record SV% GAA
Canucks Markstrom 7-3-2 .898 3.24
Sabres Hutton 6-6-1 .912 2.78

Post-Game Audio
Sabres head coach Phil Housley
Sabres forward Sam Reinhart
Sabres forward Jeff Skinner
Sabres forward Casey Mittelstadt
Sabres defenseman Nathan Beaulieu
Canucks head coach Travis Green
Canucks forward Bo Horvat
Canucks defenseman Erik Gudbranson

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

SR has had a couple good games in a row. It’s a start. He’s done that in the past before disappearing for long stretches. If he finds consistency in his game’, he can be a legit top six forward in this league. Plenz and I have never suggested otherwise. But I’ll believe he’s arrived when I see he’s arrived. He’s fooled me before. 

Regarding Hutton, his stellar play kept the game close while our D was getting its ass handed to it so I’ll forgive him for a couple bad goals allowed. 

Speaking of our D, we have issues on the back end. 

And unless Girgensons is injured, Housley cannot sit him. That fourth line has been very good for us this year, our best fourth line in I don’t know how long and it makes a difference, especially late in games. 

Question for the board: did they ever say what happened to Eichel? He didn’t look right.

I agree with you that periodically Reinhart does have his lull periods. He's not an explosive skater or shooter that allows for more scoring chances like players such as Jack and Skinner. On a team without great finishers (at least not on the line he plays) his passes are not going to be converted as much as they should be. Because of his even keel style of play his game is going to be more quiet than Jacks's or Skinner's style of play. The key for him is to stay in front of the net. Sometimes he strays from the dirty area and becomes less effective. 

Overall, as you stated Hutton did have a good game with only what I though one soft goal. He seems to be a mature player who is not affected by the previous play .As you observed our defense did struggle in this game. However, let's remember where it came from compared to last year. I suspect that as the season advances there will be some call ups from Rochester to add to the mix. 

With respect to Eichel's status I think that Housley said something vague about him having a lower body issue and it will be examined soon. Or  simply I'm not sure what the issue is because they are not telling.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If Larsson doesn't ding the puck off the post @ 14:38 of 1st Period... It would/may be 2-0 and possibly a different game!  Oh, so close!

Yet... Hutton robs them in 2nd.  Very pretty glove save!!!

That glove save was phenomenal so to be fair I can't be too critical about the softer goal he let in when hugging the corner. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that periodically Reinhart does have his lull periods. He's not an explosive skater or shooter that allows for more scoring chances like players such as Jack and Skinner. On a team without great finishers (at least not on the line he plays) his passes are not going to be converted as much as they should be. Because of his even keel style of play his game is going to be more quiet than Jacks's or Skinner's style of play. The key for him is to stay in front of the net. Sometimes he strays from the dirty area and becomes less effective. 

Overall, as you stated Hutton did have a good game with only what I though one soft goal. He seems to be a mature player who is not affected by the previous play .As you observed our defense did struggle in this game. However, let's remember where it came from compared to last year. I suspect that as the season advances there will be some call ups from Rochester to add to the mix. 

With respect to Eichel's status I think that Housley said something vague about him having a lower body issue and it will be examined soon. Or  simply I'm not sure what the issue is because they are not telling.

That glove save was phenomenal so to be fair I can't be too critical about the softer goal he let in when hugging the corner. 

Yeah... That glove save was going in clear as day!

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (9-6-2) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 18 vs. TBL at 7:30 PM ET on 11/13

Another bad win right @JohnC , i mean having fun and winning not as important as a structure to the game! (i  kid, I Kid)

This game was pretty boring until the last 3 minutes..with the players for both sides, and the crowd agreeing with me that Saturday afternoon games suck the life out of the joint!!!

Damn, that move by Casey...when is the last time we saw hands like that???

BTW, John, Sabres need to be way better with the schedule getting a little brutal the next week

Tampa

@Jets

@wild

@Penquins

the road games are a 3 on 4 affair

Come out of that 4 game stretch with 5 or more  points, I am giddy and booking hotels  in Buffalo for playoff games

Come out with 4..i am pretty happy

3 or less...hmmm, have to see

Edited by plenzmd1

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Another bad win right @JohnC , i mean having fun and winning not as important as a structure to the game! (i  kid, I Kid)

This game was pretty boring until the last 3 minutes..with the players for both sides, and the crowd agreeing with me that Saturday afternoon games suck the life out of the joint!!!

How about the look on his face.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

While I’m waiting for Reinhart and Housley to convince me before I hop on their bandwagons and I’m convinced Scandella is best in a 7th Dman role, I am happy to tip my hat to a player I’ve been equally critical of at times: Kyle Okposo. Even realizing the impact of his concussion and scary stay in the ICU and knowing he couldn’t train normally all of last offseason, I was convinced whatever he had left in his wheels was gone forever.

Happy to say I was wrong as he seems to have found that lost step and is kicking into a higher gear with regularity lately. As a result I am retiring the derogatory nickname, “Slowposo”, as he continues to prove how wrong I was to hang it on him. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Time for the Sabres to bring back the royal blue. We're about to be really good and I need a new hockey sweater.

Hear, hear. Cannot agree more. I hope the rumors of return of the royal blue to commemorate their 50th anniversary are true. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Time for the Sabres to bring back the royal blue. We're about to be really good and I need a new hockey sweater.

Always hated the look of those uniforms, despite that they seem to be widely liked.

I've never been a fan of blue, white, and gold.  It's a cheesy look IMO.

When we went to black it was a big improvement, minus the goat head.

That color scheme with a great logo would have been great. 

I'm glad the best team this organization ever iced was wearing black though.  (2006).

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Always hated the look of those uniforms, despite that they seem to be widely liked.

I've never been a fan of blue, white, and gold.  It's a cheesy look IMO.

When we went to black it was a big improvement, minus the goat head.

That color scheme with a great logo would have been great. 

I'm glad the best team this organization ever iced was wearing black though.  (2006).

Individual aesthetics differ. I can't dispute what a particular look conotates for you. Hasek would have won a Cup here had we been wearing the royal (j/k). The navy often looks black to my old eyes on the telly.

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

BTW, John, Sabres need to be way better with the schedule getting a little brutal the next week

Tampa

@Jets

@wild

@Penquins

the road games are a 3 on 4 affair

Come out of that 4 game stretch with 5 or more  points, I am giddy and booking hotels  in Buffalo for playoff games

Come out with 4..i am pretty happy

3 or less...hmmm, have to see

There are only a couple to a few teams that are elite to very good in the Eastern Conference. Tampa and Toronto top the class. For the most part a lot of teams are bunched up and will be in the playoff mix. I said it before the season started and still maintain my position that the Sabres are a fringe wild-card contender. The key for them is to stay in the mix (which they are) and have meaningful games as the schedule advances. 

The key for the Sabres to stay relevant in the playoff race is for our secondary lines to make contributions. It was non-existent in previous years. They have in recent history exemplified the word impotency.  These lines don't have to provide impressive numbers but be steady contributors. As K-9 noted getting good play from Okposo results in returns beyond the stats. 

What one needs to keep in perspective is the leap from being the worst and most boring team in the league to being a relevant and entertaining team. Botterill showed how a smart GM can accelerate the development process for a team. I hope that Beane is watching. 

I'm not going to get ahead of myself and get too giddy (like you :wub:) about how this season has so far materialized. But what leaves me encouraged with this admittedly flawed team (especially on defense) is that it doesn't quit when it is down. They don't get deflated but just keep playing their game. Yesterday was another demonstration of that. 

What makes this season interesting for me is watching our young players such as Mittlestadt and Dahlin develop. Mittlestadt is steadily getting better and before this season is over Dahlin is going to be our own incandescent player. I also like that this organization has some young players on the farm who are ready to make the jump.  After the dreadful opening game against Boston I was in a state of gloom. But that game was an aberration and now the ship has been stabilized. So it is fair to say that I am generally optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 1