[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

The most captivating playing in this game was Panarin. He's a sharp shooter who quickly gets his shot off. There is little messing around with the puck when he is in a good shooting situation. Quite an impressive player. He's a player the opposition always has to account for. 

I thought Ulmark who was often left exposed by the Sabres played a good game. Overall,  he has played well. The issue for me is whether it is better to play him every third game or so or split the games with Hutton? I'm not sure at this point if he is a heavy load goalie? I trust Housley's judgment on this issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Blue Jackets are a good team. I thought that they were carrying the play but the Sabres seemed to stabilize and go toe to toe with them. It seemed that Ullmark was under siege quite a bit in this game. We earned a point against a very good team. This game didn't disappoint me but rather left me even more encouraged about the Sabres. Over the past four games the Sabres earned 7 out of 8 point playing three out of four games out of town. Not bad!

Panerin is really good and that shot in overtime was terrific. 

My takeaway from this game is that the Sabres don't quit. Even when they were behind they keep playing hard. Contrast that with the past two years where this team was fragile and couldn't handle adversity without cracking. 

One observation I had is that Sage Thompson has offensive skills. The issue for him right now is he physical enough to play on the defensive side of the game? In a year or two when he physically matures he can turn out to be a good pickup. 

First...It's Tage Thompson.  :D

I thought the Sabres were the better team through much of the first and third periods but were just terrible in the second.  Your point about how they "weathered the storm" is very valid.  Last season, if they'd have given up 3 straight goals in the second period to go into the break down 2 they'd have gotten run out of the building in the 3rd.  Last night they put their work stuff on and got after it.

That shot by Panarin was wicked.  That guy is really good.

6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I thought the Sabres were the better team through much of the first and third periods but were just terrible in the second.  Your point about how they "weathered the storm" is very valid.  Last season, if they'd have given up 3 straight goals in the second period to go into the break down 2 they'd have gotten run out of the building in the 3rd.  Last night they put their work stuff on and got after it.

That he is!!!!

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's not inconceivable that Tage is a Sage. ?

Tage has a good shoot and he for a big man he is a smooth skater. I see him getting PP time. 

With him the issue is whether it is better for his development to play fewer minutes with the big club or play a lot in the AHL. My bias is to get him a lot more playing time with Rochester. He has obvious offensive skills. As with Chara (not saying he is as talented) it takes very tall and lanky players more time for the bodies to fill out and their skill set to smooth out. I like him a lot as a prospect and believe that he is not too far away from being a full time NHL player. 

My DVR has mysteriously stopped recording the games (DirecTV).  The same thing happened last year, but it's a pain now because I actually want to watch them.  It records them maybe 50% of the time, but I have no idea why.  I was using some random code that I got from one of these threads a few years ago.

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

My DVR has mysteriously stopped recording the games (DirecTV).  The same thing happened last year, but it's a pain now because I actually want to watch them.  It records them maybe 50% of the time, but I have no idea why.  I was using some random code that I got from one of these threads a few years ago.

Did you call DirecTV? They should be able to help you or at least know what the problem is?  Whether it is the recorder or whatever issue? I'm sure others have had the same problem. 

I had the hockey package last year. I stopped watching the games. Couldn't stomach the garbage. This year, this team plays like a serious hockey team and is fun to watch. I like you usually DVR the game just in case that I can't watch them So far I haven't had an issue that you are subjected to. Just a suggestion but you might  want to ask for a credit because of the intermittent working of your DVR. They are pretty accommodating to their customers. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Did you call DirecTV? They should be able to help you or at least know what the problem is?  Whether it is the recorder or whatever issue? I'm sure others have had the same problem. 

I had the hockey package last year. I stopped watching the games. Couldn't stomach the garbage. This year, this team plays like a serious hockey team and is fun to watch. I like you usually DVR the game just in case that I can't watch them So far I haven't had an issue that you are subjected to. Just a suggestion but you might  want to ask for a credit because of the intermittent working of your DVR. They are pretty accommodating to their customers. 

I only DVR them for those times where I get home 30 minutes or so into a game.  Then I can catch up pretty quickly.  If the game's already over before I get to it, I pretty much always know the score already and won't watch.  Anyway, I may try to call them and weasel a few bucks out of them.  It's worth a shot, especially with all the money they bleed out of their customers.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I only DVR them for those times where I get home 30 minutes or so into a game.  Then I can catch up pretty quickly.  If the game's already over before I get to it, I pretty much always know the score already and won't watch.  Anyway, I may try to call them and weasel a few bucks out of them. It's worth a shot, especially with all the money they bleed out of their customers.

If you exhibited the same aggression towards DircTV as you do towards my hockey takes I'm confident that your monthly bill would be heavily discounted. :D

cut.jpg

Game Preview: 10/30/18 vs. Calgary

LAST GAME
Saturday, October 27
Buffalo 4 at Columbus 5 (OT)
Goals: Okposo, Skinner, Pominville, Mittelstadt
Goalie: Ullmark (32 saves/37 shots)
PP: 1/5; PK: 3/3; Shots: Buffalo 38 – Columbus 37

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 46)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 11 games
Sean Malone (knee, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 11 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 11 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, Nov. 1: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 3: Ottawa at Buffalo, 2 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 4: Buffalo at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 8: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 10: Vancouver at Buffalo, 1 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
FLAMES at SABRES
  • This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Flames this season.
  • Last meeting: Calgary defeated Buffalo 5-1 in Buffalo on March 7
  • Next meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019 in Calgary
  • The Sabres are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Flames; 8-1-1 at home.
  • This is the 108th game all-time between Buffalo and Calgary/Atlanta; Buffalo has a 52-37-18 series record.
  • The Sabres are 33-14-6 at home against the Flames all-time.

Projected Lineup*

26 Rasmus Dahlin - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
Marco Scandella - 4 Zach Bogosian 
82 Nathan Beaulieu - 8 Casey Nelson

40 Carter Hutton 
35 Linus Ullmark

*Dependent on the status of Jake McCabe, who will be a game-time decision.

FORWARDS
Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Elias Lindholm
Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik
Sam Bennett - Mark Jankowski - James Neal
Dillon Dube - Derek Ryan - Garnet Hathaway

DEFENCE
Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie
Noah Hanifin - Travis Hamonic
Juuso Valimaki - Rasmus Andersson

GOALTENDER
David Rittich 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Game 13 vs. OTT at 7:30 PM ET on 11/1

On the bright side, we will not be outside of four points of a playoff spot on Halloween as we are secured in a Wild Card spot at the moment. Nice not to be all but eliminated so early in the season. 

Gotta get back on track Thursday against another fast skating team. Hope Erod is back, Tage goes to RaChaCha, Housley goes back to previous lines in the middle six, and they all get their heads out of their ***** and be ready to skate like the previous four games. 

• Like (+1) 1

Post-Game Report: 10/30 vs. Calgary

Final Score
  1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final SOG
Flames
(7-5-1)
0 0 1 1 2 38
Sabres
(6-4-2)
1 0 0 0 1 29

Top Notes
  • Tonight’s overtime loss extended the Sabres’ point streak to five games (3-0-2) for the first time since the team had points in nine straight games (7-0-2) from March 10 to 27, 2012.
  • The Sabres finished October with a 6-4-2 record (.583). It was the team’s best opening month since the 2011-12 season (6-4-0) and the team’s best full month since March 2016 (7-4-4).
  • With his goal, Jack Eichel has scored in three straight matchups with the Flames and has recorded 12 points (4+8) in his last 11 games overall.
  • Jason Pominville’s assist on Eichel’s goal was his 500th point as a member of the Sabres. Pominville is now tied with Danny Gare for the ninth-most points in franchise history.
    • Pominville’s assist also extended his point streak to five games (4+5), marking his first five-game point streak since Feb. 4 to 12, 2017.
Tonight’s Goaltenders
Tonight’s Stats
Team Goaltender Decision SV% GAA
Flames Rittich W .966 0.98
Sabres Hutton O .947 1.91

Updated Season Stats
Team Goaltender Record SV% GAA
Flames Rittich 3-1-0 .939 2.08
Sabres Hutton 4-4-1 .910 2.94

Post-Game Audio
Sabres head coach Phil Housley
Sabres forward Jack Eichel
Sabres forward Jason Pominville
Sabres goaltender Carter Hutton
Flames head coach Bill Peters
Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau
Flames defenseman Mark Giordano
Flames goaltender David Rittich

Dq3NaoQWkAA2Pk5.jpg

cut.jpg

Game Preview: 11/1/18 at Ottawa

GAME-DAY RESOURCES
Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Tuesday, October 30
Calgary 2 at Buffalo 1 (OT)
Goals: Eichel
Goalie: Hutton (36 saves/38 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 5/5; Shots: Calgary 38 – Buffalo 29

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 50)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 12 games
Sean Malone (knee, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 12 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 12 games
Jake McCabe (upper body, Oct. 30) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Nov. 3: Ottawa at Buffalo, 2 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 4: Buffalo at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 8: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 10: Vancouver at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 13: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at SENATORS
  • This is the first of four meetings between the Sabres and Senators this season.
  • Last meeting: Ottawa defeated Buffalo 4-2 in Buffalo on April 4
  • Next meeting: Saturday, Nov. 3 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 7-1-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Senators; 5-3-2 on the road
  • This is the 138th game all-time between Buffalo and Ottawa; Buffalo has a 67-50-20 series record.
  • The Sabres are 31-27-12 on the road against the Senators all-time.

On 10/29/2018 at 9:24 AM, shrader said:

yea...think we chatted bout this last year. My gut is you got it set up to record on the old channel..wasn't it like 638 or something? there was a thread here where it was like ** sabres 638/other..somthing like that. the purpose of the code was to make sure it recorded the MSG feed first, if there was not one then record 220 or for you in caroilna whatever the hurricanes local is for when they played the Canes.

And man, I am getting really frustrated with this new Genie interface. Cant get the Sabre games to record on right channel, recording go missing and have to go into history to find them, stops communication with the other DVRs connected and needs a reset like once a week...all common problems with the software, not the hardware.

BTW, i am going to chat with them today..do you record on a genie or just regular DVR?

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

yea...think we chatted bout this last year. My gut is you got it set up to record on the old channel..wasn't it like 638 or something? there was a thread here where it was like ** sabres 638/other..somthing like that. the purpose of the code was to make sure it recorded the MSG feed first, if there was not one then record 220 or for you in caroilna whatever the hurricanes local is for when they played the Canes.

And man, I am getting really frustrated with this new Genie interface. Cant get the Sabre games to record on right channel, recording go missing and have to go into history to find them, stops communication with the other DVRs connected and needs a reset like once a week...all common problems with the software, not the hardware.

BTW, i am going to chat with them today..do you record on a genie or just regular DVR?

I'm pretty sure i have 635-1 in there, but I'll check it later.  I'm on a genie.

Remi Elie will dress for the first time Oct. 18, replacing Tage Thompson in the lineup. He'll skate on a line with Casey Mittelstadt and Sam Reinhart. 

"He's been sitting for a while, he's been waiting, he's been working hard in practice," Housley said. "He's had a really good approach every day even though he's been out, with a good attitude and he's been a good teammate. So, we're going to give him an opportunity. I just like what he's going to bring to our team, which is speed and physicality."

Jake McCabe (upper body) will be a game-time decision on defense. If he does dress, here's how the full lineup is expected to look based on Wednesday's practice, with Carter Hutton starting in net:

53 Jeff Skinner - 9 Jack Eichel - 29 Jason Pominville
43 Conor Sheary - 17 Vladimir Sobotka - 21 Kyle Okposo
81 Remi Elie - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 23 Sam Reinhart
10 Patrik Berglund - 22 Johan Larsson - 28 Zemgus Girgensons

40 Carter Hutton 
35 Linus Ullmark

On 10/31/2018 at 11:10 AM, shrader said:

When I said I wanted to see a few close losses and OTLs instead of regular losses, I didn't mean that they had to do nothing but that.

When you have a wish list and it is fulfilled then you have to accept the blame. You should be held accountable. Don't shirk from your responsibility here for the disappointing endings. Have you ever considered that wishing for more victories might be better than settling for less? :devil:  

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Game 14 vs. OTT at 2 PM ET on 11/3