[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Fun game last night! Love this team. They have really put it together so far. After that opening night lose this is kind of surprising. Remember how they were booed at first? 

Go Sabres!! 

I really think the key was Housley's shake-up of the lines out west, and Bogo's return as well.

10 hours ago, K-9 said:

Mitts needs to just keep doing what he’s doing and not get frustrated. He is showing he belongs in the meantime. You can see him figuring things out and he’s been finding the open areas more and more. Just a matter of time.

Dude's hands are just sick. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

Can’t tell if this is a defense of Scandella or not. He’s been terrible. 

I like McCabe, but he has his WTF moments, too. Like failing to stand up Domi on his second goal tonight. Love his offensive game, though. 

Great point about Bogo. Need him to stay healthy. He’s got an edge to his game that is infectious, I think. 

Dahlin plays a sublime game. He does so many nondescript key little things during a game he’s easy to overlook. If he doesn’t develop one step further, he’s already a top four pairing in this league. And he’s only 18! I give Housley credit for pairing him with Nelson who, like you said, just plays a steady game. 

I'm not defending Scandella but rather making the point that collectively the defensive corps is much better.As a unit they are doing what Housley wants his defensive players to do i.e. move up the ice with the forwards into the offensive zone. There is a noticeable improvement in the passing and more north/south skating rather than dickering around behind the goalie before moving up. 

I'm not overly focused on Scandella. Is he a weak link? Yes. But I don't expect a previously poor unit to make an immediate metamorphosis into a top tier unit. When you have a player/s deficiencies you deal with it until you find a replacement. I expect sometime during this season or next season Guhle will move up to the big club and then be a mainstay player for us. 

I'm with you on Dahlin. It is extraordinary that already there is such a maturity and ease to his game. He is like a figure skater out there who has a preternatural sense of the game. You don't teach that Gretzky like instinct of knowing where and when to go. Dahlin is fortunate in having a coach like Housley, a former young precocious defenseman. He is not giving him excessive minutes but gradually increasing his role on offense. Pairing him with Nelson for now was a smart thing to do. Sometime during the season he is going to be on one of the top two pairing. 

• Like (+1) 3

Sharpen Up: October 26, 2018

The Sabres rallied back three different times last night to beat the Montreal Canadiens in dramatic fashion. Kyle Okposoripped a shot from the point with 1:01 left in the third period that beat Antti Niemi and gave Buffalo a 4-3 victory on home ice. 

Jason Pominville scored twice and Sam Reinhart tallied his first of the season as the Sabres are now winners of three games in a row.

Here's what you need to know.

I'm not there yet on the whole turn the corner talk.  They're showing signs, but I think they're still just approaching the intersection.  I'm still not sure whether they'll continue to head straight or finally make the turn.

There are a couple things I still need to see from them.  These may sound contradictory, but I do need to see both:

1. I want a few extended winning streaks, 4-5 games or so.  Hopefully they're in the middle of the first right now, but I need to see more.

2. I also need to see some close losses.  This team has lost so many games outright in the last few years.  When you're trying to race for the playoffs, being able to take some of those losses into overtime is so huge.  Even if you still lose them, you're stealing points.  Lose a game by 3 or 4?  You have no chance of stealing anything.

4 hours ago, eball said:

LOL I was just about to post "should we be worried about Hutton?"  He definitely seems to be fighting it right now.

What a great win.  Is this finally the team we suffered for?  I was unable to watch until the latter half of the 3rd period but obviously I saw the best part.  Really hope they can keep it going at Columbus Saturday so they are playing at home Tuesday night (when I'll be there) on a 4-game streak.

I just posted on another board, how can you blame Hutton for the Domi goals.   The defense let him shoot from between the circles.   There is too much net to cover from that spot and Domi put it just inside the post on both shots.

38 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm not there yet on the whole turn the corner talk.  They're showing signs, but I think they're still just approaching the intersection.  I'm still not sure whether they'll continue to head straight or finally make the turn.

There are a couple things I still need to see from them.  These may sound contradictory, but I do need to see both:

1. I want a few extended winning streaks, 4-5 games or so.  Hopefully they're in the middle of the first right now, but I need to see more.

2. I also need to see some close losses.  This team has lost so many games outright in the last few years.  When you're trying to race for the playoffs, being able to take some of those losses into overtime is so huge.  Even if you still lose them, you're stealing points.  Lose a game by 3 or 4?  You have no chance of stealing anything.

...3. Don't lose more than two straight (at home, on the road, any time).

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Fun game last night! Love this team. They have really put it together so far. After that opening night lose this is kind of surprising. Remember how they were booed at first? 

Go Sabres!! 

Sabre fanbase deserves something good. I am talking out of turn (not like that has ever stopped me)because I have only watched a few Sabre games this season. One I attended (Rangers).  But I know Skinner is going to be key. He is a little engine that drives a team. Also, it's always a good thing to acquire guys that are used to winning and have that pedigree. Sabres are a team that really can benefit from that. I like Sheary for this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Helluva shot by Okposo and great net from presence by Pominville to screen Niemi.

Anyone else notice Eichel telling Dahlin to pass it to Okposo on this goal? 

It happens right at the very start of this clip. Eichel points to Okposo with his stick. 

He (Eichel) impacts the game in a lot of subtle ways. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It happens right at the very start of this clip. Eichel points to Okposo with his stick. 

Dahlin also did a great job moving laterally and slightly in front of the blue line to give Okie more and more space for that one. His passing has been excellent all year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dante said:

They should have let Dahlin play in the AHL for a season. That strategy is way out of style for early first rounders though.

I thought that before the season, but he looks great at both ends so far, and is getting better. I'm so glad he isn't on a losing team. After that first game I was worried he'd experience the worst we had to offer, so the turn around is really nice in that sense 

6 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Great game Sabres! You guys played amazing!

I wish my Habs won but the better team won!

I met Carey Price and got a picture and he signed my jersey so I was still happy! 

My buddy who sat beside me though got hit in the head with a puck so that sucked but he is ok

Did you tell him to go down and act as if he was writhing in pain? Then call Cellino and Barnes at (800-888-8888). :devil:

https://www.cellinoandbarnes.com/

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

And the kid was quick enough to pick up on it immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I just posted on another board, how can you blame Hutton for the Domi goals.   The defense let him shoot from between the circles.   There is too much net to cover from that spot and Domi put it just inside the post on both shots.

The defense, especially Scandella let him down on all three goals. But on both Domi goals, Hutton had clear looks at both shots. Great plays by a good player in Domi, but Hutton could have made those saves given his view and the time he had. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yep, we noticed last night during the play. Eichel played a great game last night. He was on the ice for three of our goals and made his presence felt at both ends of the rink. If we can win games without having to rely on him making the score sheet, we are way ahead of it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Yep, we noticed last night during the play. Eichel played a great game last night. He was on the ice for three of our goals and made his presence felt at both ends of the rink. If we can win games without having to rely on him making the score sheet, we are way ahead of it.

The biggest difference this year, besides the additional talent, is that its best player is playing tenaciously on both ends of the rink. The Sabres for the most part have consistently attacked the opposing puck carrier from one end of the rink to the other. How many games last year did we witness the opposing team skating unmolested when they had the puck? And how many times last year did we witness the opposition unfettered control the puck in their end with the Sabres mindlessly chasing players leaving players alone near their goal? When your best player is ferociously working both sides of the ice that resonates with the rest of the team. 

Okposo in an interview stated that when Jack was designated as the captain he told Jack who was very cognizant of his added responsibility that the best approach to take was not talk about what needed to be done in the locker room but lead by example. And that is exactly what he has done. When your star player works as hard as anyone else and plays the right way that speaks for itself. 

The player addition that impacted this team beyond his talent the most is Skinner. He is an intense pesky player who never seems to let up. He is a lesser version of Boston's Brad Marchand. His value goes beyond his ability to score in that his competitiveness spills over to the rest of the team. How he plays elevates the other players who see close hand how hard and unrelenting he plays. This was a terrific pickup (for a modest price) for a variety of reasons. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Dahlin also did a great job moving laterally and slightly in front of the blue line to give Okie more and more space for that one. His passing has been excellent all year.

He needs to work a bit on his cross ice passes to Eichel on the PP though. He was jamming him consistently last night, not allowing for the one timer. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

He needs to work a bit on his cross ice passes to Eichel on the PP though. He was jamming him consistently last night, not allowing for the one timer. 

Defenses are starting to gravitate toward Jack to take away his one timer shots on the left side on the PP. So there is more room for a point player or a forward on the right side.to shoot. So it might be by design  if a Sabre such as Dahlin moves toward Jack because it creates even more room on the opposite side. That's why Okposo had such a clear shot lane to the goalie.  

• Like (+1) 1

DqdKdJjX0AAXWf3.jpg

cut.jpg

Game Preview: 10/27/18 at Columbus

GAME-DAY RESOURCES
Game Notes NHL Stats

LAST GAME
Thursday, October 25
Montreal 3 at Buffalo 4
Goals: Pominville (2), Reinhart, Okposo
Goalie: Hutton (19 saves/22 shots)
PP: 2/4; PK: 2/2; Shots: Buffalo 42 – Montreal 22

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 43)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 10 games
Sean Malone (knee, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 10 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 10 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Oct. 30: Calgary at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 1: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 3: Ottawa at Buffalo, 2 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 4: Buffalo at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 8: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at BLUE JACKETS
  • This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Blue Jackets this season.
  • Last meeting: Columbus defeated Buffalo 3-1 in Buffalo on Jan. 11
  • Next meeting: Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019 in Columbus
  • The Sabres are 4-6-0 in their last 10 games vs. Blue Jackets; 4-6-0 on the road
  • This is the 30th game all-time between Buffalo and Columbus; Buffalo has an 11-16-2 series record.
  • The Sabres are 4-8-1 on the road against the Blue Jackets all-time.

Well... not the best game for Buffalo. That 2nd period was a killer. They were brutal in the 2nd.

But I give them a lot of credit for answering in the 3rd and fighting from a 2 goal deficit to tie it up. 

They had a bit of an off night but still found a way to get a point out of it. That is something playoff teams do. 

• Like (+1) 3

The Blue Jackets are a good team. I thought that they were carrying the play but the Sabres seemed to stabilize and go toe to toe with them. It seemed that Ullmark was under siege quite a bit in this game. We earned a point against a very good team. This game didn't disappoint me but rather left me even more encouraged about the Sabres. Over the past four games the Sabres earned 7 out of 8 point playing three out of four games out of town. Not bad!

Panerin is really good and that shot in overtime was terrific. 

My takeaway from this game is that the Sabres don't quit. Even when they were behind they keep playing hard. Contrast that with the past two years where this team was fragile and couldn't handle adversity without cracking. 

One observation I had is that Sage Thompson has offensive skills. The issue for him right now is he physical enough to play on the defensive side of the game? In a year or two when he physically matures he can turn out to be a good pickup. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought the Sabres dominated possession in the last period, especially the last ten minutes.  I didn't think Jackets would have the legs in OT.  Figures it took a fluke turnover to set up the winner. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Game 12 vs. CGY at 7 PM ET on 10/30
17 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is perfect , I could watch every game like this until the playoffs.

So many chances in this game, really thought Eichel was going to score in the third, if he lifted the puck a little instead of trying to shove it through  the goalie's leg he would have.

Normally when the Sabres were down 4-2 it would have been game over but it was good to see them come back and come close to winning, at least they got a point.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This is perfect , I could watch every game like this until the playoffs.

So many chances in this game, really thought Eichel was going to score in the third, if he lifted the puck a little instead of trying to shove it through  the goalie's leg he would have.

Normally when the Sabres were down 4-2 it would have been game over but it was good to see them the it up and come close to winning, at least they got a point.

i agree..for nights like last night when i could not watch..perfect!

• Like (+1) 1