[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Oops... Jusy reading that.  First 14 games of their: Sabres Career.

Mogliny had 76 in 92'-93... But of course that wasn't the start of his career.  I wonder how many he had.

Rick Martin was the true rookie.  Vaive, Paiement, & Satan like Skinner of course were/are Vets.

My bad with the post up that I made.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

It's funny you responded to my post because I deleted it as soon as I saw someone else had already made the joke over on TSW. 

Regarding Peterman, I certainly don't have any sense of impending doom, necessarily, but I don't hold out hope that he will play well, either. I'd like nothing more than to see the kid exorcise some demons though. I'll be rooting for him, regardless. 

And Scandella still blows chunks. He's a third pair D man at best. But Risto is no better than a second pair, either. Our D corp has a long way to go, imo. Other than Dahlin, I don't see a legit first pair NHL player at the position at present. 

You are spot on with your ranking of defensemen. Risto is a second pairing caliber of defenseman. I also consider Bogo, who has played very well so far, a second pairing defenseman. I'm not as harsh in my assessment of Scandella as you are but on a team with an upper echelon defense he would be considered a reasonable third pairing player. Compared to what we have had in prior dispiriting seasons that is nothing to sneer at. McCabe is a player who I like because you can see how he has over the years developed. On a good team he would be a third pairing player. Although Nelson is one of the more limited players on defense he knows what his role and capabilities are. He is a fourth pairing talent who plays within himself as a puck moving defensive defenseman. He's another player who was given the time to develop in-house. We both agree on Dahlin and how special he can be. Housley is being cautious and smart in bringing him along. In a few years when he physically matures he is going to be an attraction. What's so special about him now is that he already has a sophisticated intellectual aspect to his game. 

With respect to Peterman I know what he is as a player. He is at best a backup. What I find unfair is the balance between the level of scathing criticism and ridicule he receivers to what his actual rolel is. He was a fifth round selection who had obvious physical limitations. That's why he was drafted in the fifth round. The haranguing lynch mob acts as if he was a high first round draftee who turned out to be a colossal failure. I strenuously disagree with that portrayal. In my view he has become a symbol for the glaring ineptitude of the offense even when he doesn't play. That to me is unfair. The reality is until the OL and receiving corps talents are elevated that side of the ball will continue to be dysfunctional. 

Too many people are looking for simple solutions to multi-faceted problems by scapegoating. I'm not and never will join that angry mob.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Lundqvist is still a beast 

Four or five brilliant saves.

Sabres had the ice tilted in their favor for most of the game. Their horrid power play, and Lundqvist, were the difference. Eichel was a non-factor on the power play.  They've got him playing so far out of the action - way out by the boards and nowhere close to the top of the circle or anywhere near that. And I've always hated when teams use a forward on the point on the PP (Okposo and Mittlestadt).  It just never seems to work. 

I'm so glad I got to see the kid in action.  He made some good plays, and some plays that an 18 year old would make. He's pretty calm and businesslike in the defensive zone, and that is what impresses me the most about him so far. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Game 16 vs. MTL at 7:30 PM ET on 11/8
9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
How did Lundqvist see this?

Great save, limit the rebound.

He didn't see it.  It was a rebound.

He lost it and guessed.  He knew what stick the puck going too,  was on Okposo's stick from top of circle... Guessed at the opening from the screen and took a stab in the dark.  By sound too? He can hear sticks slapping the ice getting ready to accept a pass... If that's what happened.  He obviously followed puck before being screened.

That's my take.  How does a batter see a fast ball that gets in their wheel house?

He guessed and narrowed it down logically, one opening left following the puck if He lost it. The screen was already blocking the 5-hole.

Notice the shaft of His stick goes down too after rebound. Nice form.  That leaves no opening if Skinner can slide the rebound underneath Him.  

Lindquist had a great game.

9 hours ago, snafu said:

Four or five brilliant saves.

Sabres had the ice tilted in their favor for most of the game. Their horrid power play, and Lundqvist, were the difference. Eichel was a non-factor on the power play.  They've got him playing so far out of the action - way out by the boards and nowhere close to the top of the circle or anywhere near that. And I've always hated when teams use a forward on the point on the PP (Okposo and Mittlestadt).  It just never seems to work. 

I'm so glad I got to see the kid in action.  He made some good plays, and some plays that an 18 year old would make. He's pretty calm and businesslike in the defensive zone, and that is what impresses me the most about him so far. 

The defense is now gravitating toward Jack on the power play. So it has to swing to the other more open side. The other teams' adjustment to smother Jack on the PP shouldn't be surprising. One way to give him more room is for the players on the opposite side is to shoot and hit the net. 

In general I thought the Sabres played as well or better than the Rangers. The obvious difference was Lundquist. A great goalie is the difference maker. That's hockey. 

16 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yikes! 

When was that recorded? The time stamp on the taxi camera says it’s from 1/1/2017. That was a while ago but the Sens weren’t the poor team they are now. Curious.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

When was that recorded? The time stamp on the taxi camera says it’s from 1/1/2017. That was a while ago but the Sens weren’t the poor team they are now. Curious.

It says that the video was shot was in Phoenix during their west coast trip a week ago (they said either the 29th or 30th of October 2018). 

It was definitely recently, because of the players who are in the taxi.

Not the best look for Duchene, saying he hasn’t paid attention in their PK meetings in 3 weeks. Especially since the senators put a letter on his jersey and asked him to help guide the young prospects along... lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It says that the video was shot was in Phoenix during their west coast trip a week ago (they said either the 29th or 30th of October 2018). 

It was definitely recently, because of the players who are in the taxi.

Not the best look for Duchene, saying he hasn’t paid attention in their PK meetings in 3 weeks. Especially since the senators put a letter on his jersey and asked him to help guide the young prospects along... lol. 

Thanks. Had no idea who the players were, but Duchene was traded well after 1/1/17. Must be a glitch in the Uber video timer. Anyway, it sure lends credence to the idea of locker room cancer. That is just embarrassing for that organization, especially in light of the Karlsson situation previously. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Thanks. Had no idea who the players were, but Duchene was traded well after 1/1/17. Must be a glitch in the Uber video timer. Anyway, it sure lends credence to the idea of locker room cancer. That is just embarrassing for that organization, especially in light of the Karlsson situation previously. 

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/candid-camera-ottawa-senators-players-caught-on-video-joking-about-team-badmouthing-coach/wcm/d1b7eeb8-9d42-4e4a-ba22-9ae2e2ea5d66?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1541465066

that link breaks down the whole video, if you’re interested. 

Yeah, I ageee on Duchene. 

I really feel for Senator fans. 

As a buffalo fan I feel we share similarities with Ottawa fans - both being small market teams with loyal fan bases who have had their fair share of problems over the years, and also how both teams have had to be run on shoestring budgets due to cheap ass owners (thankfully we don’t have that issue anymore!) - so I can kind of put myself in their shoes.

And what sucks the most for them is that there really isn’t even any light at the end of the tunnel this season (if they finish near the bottom). They don’t have their 1st round pick and they have some important free agents that may look to jump ship (Duchene, Stone, and to a lesser extent Dzingel). It could be a painful stretch for Ottawa these coming years. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/candid-camera-ottawa-senators-players-caught-on-video-joking-about-team-badmouthing-coach/wcm/d1b7eeb8-9d42-4e4a-ba22-9ae2e2ea5d66?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1541465066

that link breaks down the whole video, if you’re interested. 

Yeah, I ageee on Duchene. 

I really feel for Senator fans. 

As a buffalo fan I feel we share similarities with Ottawa fans - both being small market teams with loyal fan bases who have had their fair share of problems over the years, and also how both teams have had to be run on shoestring budgets due to cheap ass owners (thankfully we don’t have that issue anymore!) - so I can kind of put myself in their shoes.

And what sucks the most for them is that there really isn’t even any light at the end of the tunnel this season (if they finish near the bottom). They don’t have their 1st round pick and they have some important free agents that may look to jump ship (Duchene, Stone, and to a lesser extent Dzingel). It could be a painful stretch for Ottawa these coming years. 

Yeah, there are some painful times ahead for Ottawa. It’s gonna suck if a good team like Colorado ends up with the first overall pick, too. Why the Sens didn’t lottery protect it is beyond me. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

If the recording originated from the uber driver then I find it manifestly unethical. I'm not talking about legality as I'm categorizing this making public a private conversation as grossly unethical. The conversation was between the riders. Regardless if they are high profile or low profile riders there should be an expectation of privacy. This public distribution was wrong from a business and personal ethical standpoint. I realize that the players have to be more discreet about when and where they are having a conversation but in this case it wasn't unreasonable for them to expect that their private conversation wouldn't be made public. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the recording originated from the uber driver then I find it manifestly unethical. I'm not talking about legality as I'm categorizing this making public a private conversation as grossly unethical. The conversation was between the riders. Regardless if they are high profile or low profile riders there should be an expectation of privacy. This public distribution was wrong from a business and personal ethical standpoint. I realize that the players have to be more discreet about when and where they are having a conversation but in this case it wasn't unreasonable for them to expect that their private conversation wouldn't be made public. 

Agree entirely and it’s a sad commentary on our society. 

Regarding the Sens (and any team in team sports for that matter), players should feel free to speak their concerns freely to the coaching staff and a good coaching staff is secure enough to allow that candor. There is something broken in Ottawa.

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Quenneville>>>>>>Housley

Make it happen JBot...like now..like before the game on Thursday

I predict the Blues will snap him up. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Regarding the Sens (and any team in team sports for that matter), players should feel free to speak their concerns freely to the coaching staff and a good coaching staff is secure enough to allow that candor. There is something broken in Ottawa.

Clearly they don't want to talk to Boucher because they're intimidated by the scar.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I predict the Blues will snap him up. 

Yeah that was my thought too.

That would suck! Their 1st is only top 10 protected, and as of now it looks like we could easily get a pick in the 11-15 range. I hope they ride it out with Yeo for the season. lol 

But even if they hire Q, their goalies still need to stop pucks and I have little faith they can. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

With the ubiquitous camera phones there are positive and negative aspects to it. If you are a policeman and are unprofessionally interacting with the public you can more easily be exposed and held to account. On the other hand if you are in a restaurant and your waiter ends up relaying the conversation at the table to the public then that is a business issue. In my view the Uber driver should be fired for a breach of confidence. 

With respect to the Ottawa situation a team and its makeup including the players, coaches and staff is a complicated situation related to the mix of personalities. It goes beyond the issue of talent to the issue of the right blend of players and coaches. A coach in one setting can be a success, and on the other hand the same coach in a different setting can be an abysmal failure. The same process applies to players. In the right situation they can succeed and in the wrong situation they won't come close to reaching their potential. In team sports success is not only predicated on talent but have the right blend of talent and the right staff to channel those talents.  

There are teams where Tortorella can be successufel. There are teams where Torts can be a disaster. There is a time with a team where he can be a leader for a team. And then there is a time with the same team where his time has run out and for him to move on. Organizations go through different stages of development with different staffing requirements. If you don't get that match right you are going to have trouble. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I disagree.

You're in Uber. You're public.   Everyday people turning their ride into a business.  The same expectation of how a normal business conducts itself, IMO, shouldn't hold.  You're in a hyrbid type business... Because it is public.  Too bad for them.  Take a normal taxi if you want privacy.  That Uber driver can give it all up in a split second.

They are being picked up by the "commons."  They are public. No different than talking in a public park.  

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I disagree.

You're in Uber. You're public.   Everyday people turning their ride into a business.  The same expectation of how a normal business conducts itself, IMO, shouldn't hold.  You're in a hyrbid type business... Because it is public.  Too bad for them.  Take a normal taxi if you want privacy.  That Uber driver can give it all up in a split second.

They are being picked up by the "commons."  They are public. No different than talking in a public park.  

That's a truly odd POV, IMO.   

Uber is a business taking payment from riders for facilitating a service.   The drivers may be independent contractors, but Uber is the entity riders are contracting with--just like any business.     The riders are not "in public" anymore than if they were in a taxi--and have every right to expect their privacy to be honored...

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That's a truly odd POV, IMO.   

Uber is a business taking payment from riders for facilitating a service.   The drivers may be independent contractors, but Uber is the entity riders are contracting with--just like any business.     The riders are not "in public" anymore than if they were in a taxi--and have every right to expect their privacy to be honored...

I am truly odd.

They can quit at anytime.  Just "passing through."

11-6: Phil Housley on WGR (16:13)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Jeremy White next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - The proof is in the pudding. Since Eichel, Skinner and Pominville have been together, they've been dynamic. I see what I see, and I think they're creating and not spending a lot of time in their own zone. Hope to see this continue. #Sabres

Housley - The better you are without the puck, the more you have it. Eichel is a great 200-foot player and a powerful man when he has the puck. That line attacks the game real well through the neutral zone, and Jack is a big part of that. #Sabres

Housley - the guys have done a good job of working together as a team and having an aggressive mindset of attacking as a team. We've been thinking fast, moving fast and playing fast. In return, we're pushing more up the ice and we've had a much better shot mentality. #Sabres

Housley - We haven't scored a much as we want to, so there is some work that we need to do. Primarily we need to attack Zone 1 (in front of the net). We're at our best when we're attacking that area and paying a price to score goals. #Sabres

Housley - there is discretion when it comes to shot selection. If there is a play to be made, we allow them to make them. It's about getting the puck to the net. If we don't have that play, we have to take what we're given. #Sabres

Housley - we have a plan in place for all of our young players. We are looking to try and develop our guys and find areas of improvement. #Sabres

Housley - Dahlin is getting better every day. It's been a grind for him, and the biggest for him is learning the characteristics of players around the league and get some time away from the game to get energized and re-booted.

Housley - Dahlin is a student of the game. He wants to learn and get better, he really works hard, he's a great teammate and he comes to work every day. I like how he's developed his game to this point. #Sabres

Housley on Skinner - He's been great for our group. He's fit in well and gotten comfortable with his teammates. He also approaches the game very well. The guys have enjoyed his company as well, and he's helping us win hockey games. #Sabres

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I disagree.

I disagree. Whether they are Uber contractors or taxi drivers, who very often are contract workers, this is a zone in which the taped private conversation should not be publicly bedistributed. There are secretaries, doctors, nurses, lawyers, accountants etc who work on a contract basis yet should have the integrity to keep a private conversation private. If your logic was applied then it would be acceptable in a doctor's office for the temp receptionist to put on the internet that a certain person came in to be treated for VD. That would be both morally and possibly legally wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I disagree. Whether they are Uber contractors or taxi drivers, who very often are contract workers, this is a zone in which the taped private conversation should not be publicly bedistributed. There are secretaries, doctors, nurses, lawyers, accountants etc who work on a contract basis yet should have the integrity to keep a private conversation private. If your logic was applied then it would be acceptable in a doctor's office for the temp receptionist to put on the internet that a certain person came in to be treated for VD. That would be both morally and possibly legally wrong.  

I think Uber is low rung.  Like a Nanny.  The beauty is not much regulation, wild west... The drawback, everything fair game.

If You want the bennys of taxi, doctor etc... Then swallow stiff regulation.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think Uber is low wrong.  Like a Nanny.  The beauty is not much regulation, wild west... The drawback, everything fair game.

If You want the bennys of taxi, doctor etc... Then swallow stiff regulation.

Where you are on the ladder has little to do with behaving ethically. I don't find your nanny example persuasive because a nanny working for a family would be acting unethically/inappropriately if she posted private conversations on the internet or wherever. Doing right has nothing to do with what you do as it does about your character.