[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is the 280th game all-time between Buffalo and Montreal; Buffalo has a 126-112-41 series record.

Even with this recent period of futility, the Sabres only losing records are vs.

Blue Jackets

Oilers

Wild

Predators

Flyers !!!

Penguins

Blues

Canucks

1 hour ago, eball said:

This surprised me...I would not have thought the Sabres have an overall winning record against the Habs, all time.

I posted before I read yours.  I had the same thought.

10-25: Jason Botterill with Schopp & the Bulldog on WGR (15:17)

Schopp & the Bulldog are joined by #Sabres GM Jason Botterill live at @716FoodandSport! Listen live below.

Botterill on the Anaheim win - End of long road trip, could've been disheartening when second goal went in. Stuck with it, it's good when you have a young group like we have. Win like that gives them a lot of confidence.

Botterill - Been happy with out coaching staff. Trying to do a lot more one on one meetings throughout the years. A guy like Mittelstady, Thompson, Dahlin. Talking about things on the ice, but also life outside the rink.

Botterill on Skinner - No contract negotiations going on right now... We can wait until later in the year for that.

Botterill on Skinner - Put him with Jack and he was great. Had been getting chances, but just not capitalizing on them.

Botterill on Skinner - He's very competitive, you see him on pucks. I think our whole team has increased the intensity level. He's brought some life to our organization for sure.

Sabres GM Jason Botterill on @wgr550 regarding any contract extension talks with the agent for Jeff Skinner: no talks are going on right now. it can wait till later in the year

Botterill on Dahlin - Been extremely impressed with how Rasmus has performed. He doesn't make the same mistake twice... You see the smoothness and how he ignites the transition game.

Botterill - There's always going to be Youtube clips of what he did in Sweden, and that can raise expectations too high. Right now you see how consistent he is with his passing.

Botterill on Dahlin - He's similar to an elite quarterback in the NFL. His vision in incredible.

Botterill oni Dahlin: extremely happy with him. he doesn't make the same mistake twice. handled the heavy teams in LA and ANA really well. ignites their transition game with his passes. amazed at how consistent his passes are

Botterill on Amerks: ecstatic with Olofsson's transition from europe to N.A. has an amazing shot. Nylander, Smith and Asplund have all stepped up their game. Pilut too.

Botterill on calling up players - Sometimes it's dictated by injury, sometimes it's "hey, we have to give this guy an opportunity."

Botterill on Olofsson's shot - It's got velocity and what makes it a weapon is how quick the release is... Such a quick movement.

Botterill - The people who were here before me drafted these guys. High draft picks in Alex Nylander, late pick in Victor Olofsson, free agent in CJ Smith.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

9 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

This is precisely what @K-9 was talking about.

Yes, I agree. 

In our conversation he also said that he put those types of practices on the coaching staff more than anything else and said that housley needs to start holding them accountable.

I felt this article was a good example of housley holding them accountable. 

9 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah, but you want to see some leadership from the players holding each other accountable as well.  A coach chewing the team out isn't the same as players like Eichel or Bogo laying into them for lackadaisical practice.  This is my biggest concern this year; they're too young and will fall into traps of feeling good about themselves after a couple of good games.  They've got to work hard every day.

I agree 100%.

There is only so much a Coach can do. Player leadership is extremely important. Chris Drury’s time in buffalo (and what happened to the team after he left) is a perfect example of the importance of good player leadership. 

This is a young team still learning their way. I expect there will be plenty of ups and downs. Hopefully we see continued progress throughout the season. They are a damn good team when they’re all working hard. Fingers crossed th consistency comes in that regard. 

Edited by BillsFan4

They’re taking a lot of dumb shots from the perimeter so far tonight, that totally kill the offensive zone possession. 

They need to get back to what made them successful in Anaheim. Cycle the puck, shoot from the higher danger areas, get to the net. 

21 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Pominville again! 

Montreal challenging. But Pominville was shoved into Niemi. This better be a goal. 

Buffalo fans, we always feel we can be screwed on a replay lol They took awhile I thought they would find a way to overturn it some how 

Hutton has not been good tonight. I feel like he should have made saves on all 3 of montreal’s goals. Buffalo has clearly been the better team tonight. Hutton has been the difference. 

17 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Buffalo fans, we always feel we can be screwed on a replay lol They took awhile I thought they would find a way to overturn it some how 

Yeah I was getting more and more nervous the longer it took. lol 

Wow, what a win!! They pretty much dominated the play from about the last 5 minutes of the 1st period. 

Have we possibly turned the corner in our rebuild? This really seems like a different team than last year. 

A 3 game win streak in October?! Is that allowed? lol 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 3

Back to back come from behind wins and two goals from the exact guys they need to get going. They’re starting to show a little something now. Now they just need to keep this winning streak going a bit longer. 

Seriously, have we even had any 3 game winning streaks in the last few years?

• Like (+1) 1

We were the better team but what stood out about Montreal is that they can skate. 

What I see from the Sabres is that they are playing their brand of game and are consistent with their effort. Before if they got behind you can see the collective slump. Now they keep grinding. 

I don't know who were named the stars but Pomminstein should get the first star. He being in front of the net was instrumental in the Okposo goal. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow, what a win!! They pretty much dominated the play from about the last 5 minutes of the 1st period. 

Have we possibly turned the corner in our rebuild? This really seems like a different team than last year. 

A 3 game win streak in October?! Is that allowed? lol 

Here’s a sign we may have turned the corner: we didn’t get all world goaltending and Eichel didn’t have to make the scoresheet in order for us to win, although he played a heckuva game, regardless. If we can continue to get secondary scoring, look out.

Mitts needs to just keep doing what he’s doing and not get frustrated. He is showing he belongs in the meantime. You can see him figuring things out and he’s been finding the open areas more and more. Just a matter of time.

Of course, I can’t end a post without at least one point of the finger. And it’s pointing squarely at Scandella. He has played like ass all year and is showing no signs of turning it around to this point. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Here’s a sign we may have turned the corner: we didn’t get all world goaltending and Eichel didn’t have to make the scoresheet in order for us to win, although he played a heckuva game, regardless. If we can continue to get secondary scoring, look out.

Mitts needs to just keep doing what he’s doing and not get frustrated. He is showing he belongs in the meantime. You can see him figuring things out and he’s been finding the open areas more and more. Just a matter of time.

Of course, I can’t end a post without at least one point of the finger. And it’s pointing squarely at Scandella. He has played like ass all year and is showing no signs of turning it around to this point. 

Collectively our defense is playing so much better compared to last year. McCabe is steadily getting better and Nelson is a quiet player who just does his job. And although Dahlin hasn't flashed his offensive skills just yet he does play very maturely on defense.  In general, the passing and skating has been significantly upgraded from last year. The issue is can Bogo stay healthy?

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Collectively our defense is playing so much better compared to last year. McCabe is steadily getting better and Nelson is a quiet player who just does his job. And although Dahlin hasn't flashed his offensive skills just yet he does play very maturely on defense.  In general, the passing and skating has been significantly upgraded from last year. The issue is can Bogo stay healthy?

Can’t tell if this is a defense of Scandella or not. He’s been terrible. 

I like McCabe, but he has his WTF moments, too. Like failing to stand up Domi on his second goal tonight. Love his offensive game, though. 

Great point about Bogo. Need him to stay healthy. He’s got an edge to his game that is infectious, I think. 

Dahlin plays a sublime game. He does so many nondescript key little things during a game he’s easy to overlook. If he doesn’t develop one step further, he’s already a top four pairing in this league. And he’s only 18! I give Housley credit for pairing him with Nelson who, like you said, just plays a steady game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Totally agree with everything you said. It was great to see us win a game without Eichel carrying the team, or even getting a single point. He still had an impact on the game, though. I really like the way he’s developing. It seems like he’s really embraced the captaincy. He seems very proud to be the “C” and is really starting to take his game to the next level IMO. You aren’t seeing the guy that floated around on too many shifts like previous seasons. He looks like he is really working to become a complete 200ft player. I love the direction he is headed in. We are starting to see the kids true potential. 

Totally agree on Mittelstadt. It’s only a matter of time until he breaks out. You can see his confidence growing with each game. I love his work ethic on the ice. Kid gives 100% every shift. 

Man.... when Mittelstadt and Reinhart both really get going like they’re capable of, look out! The Sabres could be a team to be reckoned with.

Hopefully this was the game that gets Reinhart consistently scoring again. He’s been playing really well and impacting the game. He just hasn’t scored yet. Hopefully he just needed to get that first one, kinda like Skinner.

And Mitts is soo close. It’s coming. 

No idea what going on with Scandella. He started the year in a funk and it hasn’t gotten any better. He may actually be getting worse... 

I still have hope that he will pull out of it though. We know he’s a better defenseman than the way he’s playing. 

I am still trying to process the Sabres being a fun team to watch. It weird, in a good way. Honestly, these last couple games actually reminded me, just a little bit, of the ‘05-‘07 Drury/Briere teams. When they were down by a couple you just knew that they would score and tie it up. That’s how the past 2 games felt. 

I think these 2 games were HUGE for this team. They stick to the game plan/system and it really paid off. I think they needed to see that happen. There have been times in previous years where they played a good game, stuck to the system and lost. They seemed to quickly revert back to old ways after those types of games. These are the types of wins that can really teach the young guys how to win in the NHL.

I think this rebuild is finally pointed in the right direction. Guys are buying in and it’s showing. On top of it all, Rochester is playing fantastic and a good number of our better prospects are preforming very well. It’s exciting! 

I applaud Jason Botterill what for he has done in a relatively short amount of time. 

I know people wanted him to come in and make big changes last year. But I think he was smart in the way he played it. IMO he did exactly what Brenden Shanahan did in Toronto during his first 2 years. That first year he sat back, watched and evaluated everything while his team had a disastrous season. People yelled for him to make changes. But he took the year to truly evaluate everything and not just make rash decisions. Then that next offseason he acted and made a couple of big changes (Kessel gone. Phaneuf next, etc). 

I think Botterill did similar. He sat back, watched and evaluated everything. He found out who needed to go, and what needed to change for this team to improve. Then he acted accordingly.

• Like (+1) 4

Post-Game Report: 10/25 vs. Montreal

Final Score
  1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final SOG
Canadiens
(5-2-2)
1 1 1 3 22
Sabres
(6-4-0)
1 1 2 4 42

Top Notes
  • The Sabres erased three separate deficits to win tonight. It was the first time Buffalo has accomplished this feat since Jan. 24, 2017, in a 5-4 win at Nashville.
  • The Sabres have had each of their last 23 games settled in regulation, dating back to March 15 vs. Toronto. It’s the team’s longest stretch of games that were not tied after 60 minutes since they played 30 in a row from Nov. 10, 1979 to Jan. 16, 1980.
  • Jason Pominville scored two goals tonight, recording his 27th career multi-goal game and his first since Oct. 12, 2017 at San Jose.
  • Pominville’s second goal was his 497th point as a member of the Sabres, tying Thomas Vanek to rank 10th in franchise history.
    • The goal also tied Pominville with Dale Hawerchuk for 14th on the team’s all-time leader board in power-play goals (48).
  • Jake McCabe notched two assists tonight and now has five points (1+4) in his last five games, marking the best five-game stretch of his career.
  • With three assists, Jeff Skinner extended his point streak to five games (4+4).
Tonight’s Goaltenders

Tonight’s Stats
Team Goaltender Decision SV% GAA
Canadiens Niemi L .905 4.06
Sabres Hutton W .864 3.00

Updated Season Stats
Team Goaltender Record SV% GAA
Canadiens Niemi 2-1-0 .898 3.26
Sabres Hutton 4-4-0 .905 3.07

Post-Game Audio
Sabres head coach Phil Housley
Sabres forward Jason Pominville
Sabres forward Kyle Okposo
Sabres defenseman Jake McCabe
Canadiens head coach Claude Julien
Canadiens forward Max Domi
Canadiens defenseman Jordie Benn
Canadiens goaltender Antti Niemi

Echo everyone who is pumped! Maybe I was premature on Housley exit, but gots lot of experience being premature. 

Now for my B word. Scandella needs to be up too for a game or two. I am with @K-9, he is awful. I would post my texts to my nephews about him during game, but 8 of ten words would be x”d out. 

Also, when does the Swede take over in net?

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Echo everyone who is pumped! Maybe I was premature on Housley exit, but gots lot of experience being premature. 

Now for my B word. Scandella needs to be up too for a game or two. I am with @K-9, he is awful. I would post my texts to my nephews about him during game, but 8 of ten words would be x”d out. 

Also, when does the Swede take over in net?

LOL I was just about to post "should we be worried about Hutton?"  He definitely seems to be fighting it right now.

What a great win.  Is this finally the team we suffered for?  I was unable to watch until the latter half of the 3rd period but obviously I saw the best part.  Really hope they can keep it going at Columbus Saturday so they are playing at home Tuesday night (when I'll be there) on a 4-game streak.

• Like (+1) 1

Sabres' Bogosian is Healthy Again and Thriving

Zach.jpg?itok=ieyUNbIW&c=7add4f7385087d9

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - I’ve been saying this since last season ended that we really don’t know what the Sabres have in Zach Bogosian because he hadn’t played one game here healthy. I think we got a glimpse of a healthy Bogosian in San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles and now here in Buffalo.

In just five games Bogosian, Jake McCabe and Rasmus Ristolainen leads the team in blocks shots with 16 and fights with three. He also played fast and added a goal and an assist. Bogosian is happy and relieved to be healthy, “Yes, I feel good. I think it took me a couple of games to catch up to the game speed, but it just feels nice to be out there playing games again that’s for sure.”

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Game 11 vs. CBJ at 7 PM ET on 10/27