[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Eichel Changes to Number 9
15 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Literally just bought two #15 jerseys last week for me and my girlfriend ?

i feel for ya brother..i am sure if you went to Sabres store or wherever you bought them get a full refund if you still have a receipt or even your credit card

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I am so done with this team.

It's not a huge deal but superstition is not exactly mental toughness.  Eichel needs to have a good year.  Is he feeling the pressure?  Time to be THE leader Jack, a better change to the jersey would have been to earn and add a C.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/21/2018 at 2:14 PM, Alaska Darin said:

If Housely can't adapt to the players on the roster, then they should fire him now. 

You don't adapt to inadequate players. You replace them. 

Edited by JohnC

On July 6, 2018 at 5:48 PM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Literally just bought two #15 jerseys last week for me and my girlfriend ?

Keep 'em!  They will become cooler with age.

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

You don't adapt to inadequate players. You replace them. 

Yes, the team itself was so poorly constructed and so disinterested in playing hockey last season, you can't even really judge Phil Housley's performance.

For all we know he is one of the best young coaches in the NHL.  How would you know otherwise?

Hard to overstate how dysfunctional this squad was last season.

It all falls on the players, not the coach, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes, the team itself was so poorly constructed and so disinterested in playing hockey last season, you can't even really judge Phil Housley's performance.

For all we know he is one of the best young coaches in the NHL.  How would you know otherwise?

You bring up a terrific point about the importance of properly constructing a team. It's simply not just about collecting talent (although there was a dearth of it) but more importantly adding talent that meshes together. So far the Sabres have not been able to construct a line where Jack's line mates can keep up and mesh with him. It seems that Botterill has brought in some speed skaters who can better keep pace with him. 

It is evident that Botterill was determined to reshape the roster and alter the chemistry. Last year, he was in an assessment mode. This year he was in the action mode of transforming a sluggish roster into a more energetic and passionate roster. 

SABRES SIGN DAHLIN TO ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 9, 2018) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed defenseman Rasmus Dahlin to a three-year, entry-level contract.

Dahlin (6’3”, 185 lbs., 4/13/2000) was taken by Buffalo with the first overall selection in the 2018 NHL Draft last month in Dallas. He became just the third player to be taken No. 1 overall by the Sabres, joining Gilbert Perreault (1970) and Pierre Turgeon (1987).

cut.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Dahlin Signs His 3-Year ELC
8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

100% agree. 

This is is a player issue, not a coaching one. 

It drives me nuts the fans that were/are already screaming for Housley to be fired....

because they are are saying the exact same things we heard them saying about Bylsma.

Its his system. He lost the room. Guys won’t follow housley. It’s his player usage. It’s his line combinations etc etc etc. 

At what point does the blame get put on the players? 

How can you blame a coach when he has a large group of players on the team who simply refuse to follow his system + game plans? 

I get get having those questions the first time around under Bylsma. We legit didn’t know if it was the players or coach (or both).

But now that all the same stuff is happening under a completely different coaching staff, that tells me that it’s a player issue. 

So, you have to get rid of these players who refused to listen and set an example. 

I remember back to when Ryan Miller was the Olympic darling of the US and face of the Sabres franchise. It was after a game and Lindy kind of threw him under the bus.

well, Miller refused to speak a single bad word about Lindy. A reporter asked him why and he said “that’s the guy who decides if I play or not”. 

They knew new who was in charge back then. If you didn’t listen, you were gone. 

Hopefully Botterill moving out Kane, Lehner and ROR helped set that precedent again. 

38 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Hopefully Botterill moving out Kane, Lehner and ROR helped set that precedent again. 

The vets brought over from St. Louis, including Hutton, should contribute to a better chemistry as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

If Sammy reproduces his production from last year I have no issue with a bridge level contract to replace Moulson's in 2019. 

you aint getting Sammy for a 1-year deal this year..do a 3 year, $5M AAV  

59 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I either want a 2-3 yr bridge deal (I’d kind of prefer 2, as a 3yr deal takes him 1yr from UFA and he could decide to go to arbitration and sign a 1yr deal if he wanted to force his way out).

Or I want to go longer term (6+). 

If if they give him a 4yr deal that takes him right to UFA the very first year he’s eligible for it, I’ll be upset. 

I’m thinking a bridge deal makes the most sense. See if he’s 1st half of the season Reinhart, or 2nd half of the season Reinhart. 

Unless he’s willing to sign longer term at something reasonable ($6M ish, which is unlikely). 

Just my opinion, anyway...

16 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I just meant I don't want to give him significantly more money until next season when he proves what we saw in the second half was the true Sammy/Moulson is off the books, I could see us doing a short term deal with incentives and if they are met they kick in 2019 for a higher base salary etc. 

Edited by The Jokeman

27 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I just meant I don't want to give him significantly more money until next season when he proves what we saw in the second half was the true Sammy/Moulson is off the books, I could see us doing a short term deal with incentives and if they are met they kick in 2019 for a higher base salary etc. 

That would be great for the Sabres.. I agree..I just don't see Sammy agreeing to that..the comparables are just too big

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Smart to lock this guy up. 

Wow, nice signing. 

And a lower cap hit than Eichel... but they do live in a tax free state, which makes the take him pay at $9.5M higher than Eichel at $10M. 

Yzerman has has really used that to his advantage when signing his big name guys (Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov etc)

The Sabres are on a plan to really compete in 2020-2021.  If you look at the way their salary structure lines up, as well as them stocking up once again on futures, 2020 will open up.  There is going to be another CBA battle at that point and its likely a team with a clear cap conscience will be at an advantage at that point.    As an aside, they will also be in good shape for the upcoming expansion draft.  Eichel will be 23-24, Dahlen 20, Reinhart 24, Middlestadt 22.  Along with whoever in this bulk of picks and young players emerge.  They have 3 firsts next season.  The likelihood on hitting on at least 1 of them is pretty high.  

The health of Rochester is what to watch.  A healthy and good Amerks team where guys like Nylander, Asplund, Olafsson, Glotov, Borgen, etc are contributing and developing is where the first signs are going to come from.  Good young players feeding the core above.... and consistent replenishing is the engine that makes the difference between good, sustainable NHL organizations and the dregs of the league.  

• Like (+1) 2

Mittlestadt will be starting his second contract at that point and they'll be negotiating Dahlin's second deal.  So if those guys live up to their hype, a lot of that cap space could get eaten up very quickly over two seasons.  That year is definitely a big book clearing moment though.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Very Nice hire. He’s been a good defensive coach. As the Sabres press release states, cadolina’s defense has allowed the 2nd fewest shots per game over his tenure there, and iirc their penalty kill was also one of the better in the league during his time there. 

Hes helped develope some some pretty good defenseman in Carolina, too. Guys like Pesce and Slavin, who were mid round picks, have developed into very good top 4 defenseman under his watch. 

He and Phil Housley actually played together in Calgary for 3 years, too. 

Interesting story on Steve Smith -

He was always thought of as a very mentally tough player after (and because of) this. I guess it really did have a huge impact on his career and what he went on to become. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1