[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pretty ironic that he crashed into a Tim Horton's establishment given how the namesake expired. 

Don't get me started on that!! Not to long ago on here I made my point I think its a travesty there is a statue of a guy who played one year in Buffalo and killed himself cause he was driving hammered and stoned. And I am old enough that I still remember watching Horton play and the argument back then was if he ws the strongest guy in the NHL...we all loved him!

Now, onto ROR. I just finished a workout and listened to the first hour of GR this morning. They referenced this article

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-bergevin-came-close-hitting-marks-draft-weekend/

Wow, ROR was going for the 11th pick had the board fallen differently???? I can't believe that's all they could get..and tells me they want him gone and outta that room. 

Edited by plenzmd1

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Don't get me started on that!! Not to long ago on here I made my point I think its a travesty there is a statue of a guy who played one year in Buffalo and killed himself cause he was driving hammered and stoned. And I am old enough that I still remember watching Horton play and the argument back then was if he ws the strongest guy in the NHL...we all loved him!

But hey, he's still a choir boy compared to what the Bills have up on the wall.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, let's just say that his Tim Hortons gaffe of yore isn't exactly an isolated incident.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty common knowledge ROR hits the bottle early and often.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, let's just say that his Tim Hortons gaffe of yore isn't exactly an isolated incident.

He's married now and has a child. The schedule for maturity is not the same for everyone. Some people are simply late bloomers. The problem with ROR is because of his personality he has a tendency to internalize pressure as compared to Jack the Ripper Eichel who is better at externalizing his frustrations and venting it out. As I have said before consistent losing can be corrosive. It can create an oppressive and dispiriting environment to work in. It might be better for ROR to be moved and have a fresh start somewhere else. However, if the trade value isn't there then he will stay. If that is the case then it will require him to suck it up and more positively channel his efforts. 

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

FWIW

I do think it's a foregone conclusion that ROR is gone at this point. 

I am pretty nervous about what the return is going to be though with some of these recent reports. Especially if he's moved before that July 1 bonus. 

I am trying to prepare myself for an underwhelming return. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised. 

The Sabres Get: LW Conor Sheary and D Matt Hunwick
Sheary, 26, is a small skilled winger who has tallied 41 goals in 140 games over the past two seasons, though his most common linemate, by far, over the past two years has been Sidney Crosby, so it’s reasonable to surmise that Sheary’s production is a function of time spent on the wing with No. 87.

Verdict: This may set the Penguins up for a future move but taking this deal in a vacuum means that the Sabres are getting a viable middle-six winger at a relatively low cost, an upgrade for a Sabres team that needs more talent.

44 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am pretty nervous about what the return is going to be though with some of these recent reports. Especially if he's moved before that July 1 bonus.

The bonus is meaningless at this point.  Buffalo can make the trade today while still paying the bonus.  It would be listed as future considerations and then once the bonus has been paid, those future considerations are officially announced as O'Reilly.  That or they reach a deal and then just wait the couple days to make it official.

7 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Rumor is to St Louis for Robert Thomas (not Matchbox 20) and Jake Allen.  Sabres eat $7.5M of this year's salary.

Allen 3 more years at $4.3. Livable I guess. 

I know zero zero on Thomas 

12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Rumor is to St Louis for Robert Thomas (not Matchbox 20) and Jake Allen.  Sabres eat $7.5M of this year's salary.

So in other words, they would be paying the bonus this year.  That's what you can expect from any deal they make for O'Reilly.

Botterill impressed with experience Sheary, Hunwick bring to Sabres

Solid production, a championship pedigree and a familiarity with how he conducts himself on and off the ice all led to Buffalo Sabres general manager Jason Botterill making a trade with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday to acquire wing Conor Sheary.

Coming to Buffalo: Sheary and defenseman Matt Hunwick. Going to Pittsburgh: A conditional fourth-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

Sixteen of Sheary's 18 goals last season came at even strength and the Sabres finished last in the NHL last season with 140 even-strength goals for. Sheary's knack for scoring goals in that situation should bump up those team numbers in 2018-19.

"We were looking to improve our even-strength scoring and we had to try to get a little bit in scoring from our wingers," Botterill said. "…Especially at even strength, he creates a lot of chances out there. We've very excited about bringing him into the organization."

Dahlin shines, enjoys special welcome as Sabres begin development camp

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - As they skated on the ice at HarborCenter it was clear who the best player on the was: No. 1 overall pick Rasmus Dahlin.

There were applause when he first stepped onto the ice alongside his teammates and a buzz every time he touched the puck -- whether it was during a puck handling drill, defensive drill or he skated in to take  a shot.

The "ooos" and "aaas" were plenty and the rookie took notice.

It's obvious why Dahlin's is the center of attention at this prospect camp. But the player I will be closely following is Nylander. He is still young and it is too early to make a judgment on him. But for the most part the reports on him have not been encouraging. The issue for me isn't whether he starts with the big club right away as it is whether he advances his game to the point that there is hope that he could be a good NHL player. Most of the reports on him from last year were that there was nothing special and distinguishable about his game that would translate well to the big club. 

Paul Hamilton of WGR, who I consider to be a fair minded evaluator of players, has on more than a few occasions  commented on Nylander's play in Rochester.  His general assessment is that he is very unimpressed with him. I find that to be very worrisome. 

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's obvious why Dahlin's is the center of attention at this prospect camp. But the player I will be closely following is Nylander. He is still young and it is too early to make a judgment on him. But for the most part the reports on him have not been encouraging. The issue for me isn't whether he starts with the big club right away as it is whether he advances his game to the point that there is hope that he could be a good NHL player. Most of the reports on him from last year were that there was nothing special and distinguishable about his game that would translate well to the big club. 

Paul Hamilton of WGR, who I consider to be a fair minded evaluator of players, has on more than a few occasions  commented on Nylander's play in Rochester.  His general assessment is that he is very unimpressed with him. I find that to be very worrisome. 

i have done zero digging on this..but listened to the opening few minutes of the afternoon show on GR...they said Nylander was not part of the camp today? Any insight?

8 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Allen 3 more years at $4.3. Livable I guess. 

I know zero zero on Thomas 

He is their #1 center prospect, and one of the top 2 prospects in their system (I'd say #1). 

I wuld say hes roughly around a Casey Mittelstadt level prospect, give or take, so it would be a good get. 

I would be surprised if they parted with him. 

9 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

8 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Latest rumor is:  Colton Parayko, Vladimir Sobotka, and a 1st round pick for Ryan O’reilly & Jake McCabe

Where did you hear these rumors? Is it a reliable source? 

Man, I would love that Parayko trade. He is exactly who I've been hoping for in a trade with St. Louis, and that's exactly the type of return I'd be looking for in a ROR deal.

I would be pretty surprised if they also sent a 1st back with Parayko though. I'd be perfectly happy with Parayko for ROR 1for1... Sobotka wuld be a nice add to help fill ROR's spot this season. I'd d Parayko and Sobotka for ROR and McCabe and d be happy about it. 

Now that Robert Thomas trade...that needs another piece from the Blues (in my opinion). That trade I would want their 1st, and maybe even another +.

Jake Allen isn't much better than a cap dump at this point. He sucks and is signed for 3 more years. If we are taking on Allen and paying ROR his $7.5M lump sum bonus check on top of that... yeah, St. Louis should definitely be adding something else. 

A trade with St. Louis wouldn't happen until after July 1st IMO. 

I can't see the Blues owner paying that bonus money a couple days after getting ROR. He's not exactly known as a big spender and has a pretty strict internal cap (from what I've read). 

With Buffalo paying the bonus money, I think that Parayko deal (even without the 1st) would be a fair trade in my book. After July 1st, ROR is only owed $25M in real dollars over the last 5yrs of his deal. That is dirt cheap for a guy who would pretty much be their #1C (allowing Brayden Schenn to get more favorable o zone starts etc). I know his cap hit is $7.5M, but the Blues are never a Cap ceiling team anyway (iirc). I think/hope the real dollars paid may be more important to their owner (and GM).

I just hope Botterill gets a good return on ROR if/when he is traded. 

That stuff about a 1st and a couple 2nds (or a 1st, 2nd and prospect) scares me. I have no interest in trading ROR for a few draft picks that will likely be in the 20's or later. Those picks have a pretty low percentage of ever turning into as good a player as ROR is. Plus, we don't exactly have a tried and tested scouting dept right now. This was their 1st draft and #1 was a no brained... I haven't seen enough of them yet to know whether or not to have confidence in their ability to turn up a good player in the later 1st and 2nd rounds. And what would a return of all futures like that say to the fans?

A ROR trade will tell us a lot about Jason Botterill as a GM. It's not like the Kane deadline deal, where he didn't have any real leverage and only had 1 legit offer from the sound of it. 

Botterill holds the cards in a ROR trade. There are 5yrs left on his deal, and Buffalo doesn't have anyone to fill his role. They don't Have To trade him this season, or even next. ROR also has a very good reputation around the league. It's not a Kane situation. 

He has to get a good return for ROR. The Sabres can't afford to absorb any more bad trades. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i have done zero digging on this..but listened to the opening few minutes of the afternoon show on GR...they said Nylander was not part of the camp today? Any insight?

Comments on Nylander from WIVB article linked above (not skating for "precautionary reasons"):

"Obviously he had a tough start with his injury," Head Coach Chris Taylor said.  "We got him back and he started going off and playing well, and played real well at the World Juniors. Then he came back, got a little injured again, tough, but then he really picked it up. His game really got going. He was doing a lot of good things and working at his game and that's why he got the recall.

"Alex is young. We all forget it, I forget it. 19 years old and two years playing in the American league is unbelievable. He's just going to continue to grow. I just see the maturity in him with another year of pro hockey.  He looks good and he's in great shape right now.

"I think he's actually stepping up in this camp now, and taking guys under his wing, especially with all the Swedish players we drafted. He's being mentor to these kids and that's the first step right there he's not worrying about himself. He's looking after these young guys coming in for the first time. You see him up there watching practice. Some guys won't watch practice. He's sitting with the young guys at the table. It's good to see. That's maturity level and he wants it. He's working hard. I can't wait for training camp for him."

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I just checked and Nylander is not going to be at the prospect camp. But that doesn't change the fact that if he can develop that it would certainly be a boost for the team, even if it materializes later on. 

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/206252-sabres-nhl-2018-19-development-camp-at-harborcenter-june-27-30/?page=10&tab=comments#comment-5162666

1 hour ago, eball said:

Comments on Nylander from WIVB article linked above (not skating for "precautionary reasons"):

"Obviously he had a tough start with his injury," Head Coach Chris Taylor said.  "We got him back and he started going off and playing well, and played real well at the World Juniors. Then he came back, got a little injured again, tough, but then he really picked it up. His game really got going. He was doing a lot of good things and working at his game and that's why he got the recall.

"Alex is young. We all forget it, I forget it. 19 years old and two years playing in the American league is unbelievable. He's just going to continue to grow. I just see the maturity in him with another year of pro hockey.  He looks good and he's in great shape right now.

"I think he's actually stepping up in this camp now, and taking guys under his wing, especially with all the Swedish players we drafted. He's being mentor to these kids and that's the first step right there he's not worrying about himself. He's looking after these young guys coming in for the first time. You see him up there watching practice. Some guys won't watch practice. He's sitting with the young guys at the table. It's good to see. That's maturity level and he wants it. He's working hard. I can't wait for training camp for him."

As I stated to Plenzmd it would be a terrific boost to the franchise if he turns out to be the caliber of player commensurate to where he was drafted. As you noted it is often forgotten how young he is. I'm not so much concerned that he makes the big club right away this season. What I want to see is he to continue to make strides in his development. He has the talent to eventually be a top two line player. The open question is whether that talent will be realized in this organization. 

Our GM, JB, is a staunch believer in developing talent in the minors before bringing players up. I believe that he will allow Nylander the time to deveop and be patient with him.