[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Pronman: 2018 NHL draft grades

Buffalo Sabres

Grade: A-minus
The Sabres draft started with them getting one of the best defense prospects of the past 20 years in Rasmus Dahlin. Their high second-rounder Mattias Samuelsson is a good player and can be a great shutdown guy, but I’m not sold he has the upside to be an impact player. I don’t think Matej Pekar is much of a prospect and I had limited knowledge of the next three players they picked. Dahlin is great, and he’s going to provide a lot to their franchise, but Day 2 isn’t something I’m overly optimistic about.

More on the Sabres’ picks

Demand for Dahlin Jerseys Already High

Amherst, NY (WBEN) As Buffalo Sabres fans revel over the selection of Rasmus Dahlin with the first pick in the NHL Draft Friday night, sporting goods stores are getting ready for the demand of Dahlin jerseys.

"We have blank jerseys at our letterers ready to go, so they certainly can make the nameplates ahead of time," says Joe Eckl of Laux Sporting Goods. "They'll have the nameplates ready to go, and they'll wait for the official number. Once that's announced, everything will be sewn on and available to us almost immediately."

6-25: Rasmus Dahlin with Howard and Jeremy on WGR (12:40)

Rasmus Dahlin live in studio with Howard & Jeremy

DgiNaXbW4AI-6TF.jpg

Dahlin - It's amazing to put on the Sabres jersey, the city is great and the fans are great, I've heard so many good things

Dahlin - It's been a dream since I've been playing hockey (to play in the NHL)

Dahlin - I have many questions about the NHL but I'm going to figure it out when I get on the ice and start training

Dahlin - We start learning English in school, I can't say I'm good but I'm working on it

Dahlin - I've lived on my own for three years, I'm not a master chef but I'm working on it

Dahlin - I know a few areas around here, it's helped me a lot (on being to Buffalo twice)

Dahlin - I'll take whatever I get (on what number he'll wear)

Dahlin - It's easier in the d-zone, I think it's more fun to play on the smaller ice (transitioning to the NHL ice from European ice)

18 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

kinda pissed at the Hurricane trade..i like Hannifin. Was thinking he would be involved in a ROR trade..looks like that will not happen now till after July 1. 

Keep your eyes on St. Louis. According to WGR they were very interested in Tavares but the Blues were not on his list. This might be a good landing spot for ROR and this is a team that has some appealing assets that can be used in a trade. 

I like ROR a lot. But for his sake I think a trade and a fresh start could invigorate him as a player. Perennial losing can have a corrosive affect, You can see it in his stale play. The Sabres need to change the dynamic in the locker room. Moving him in a reasonably balanced deal would be the right thing to do for him and the organization. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Development Camp at HarborCenter (June 27-30)
48 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Keep your eyes on St. Louis. According to WGR they were very interested in Tavares but the Blues were not on his list. This might be a good landing spot for ROR and this is a team that has some appealing assets that can be used in a trade. 

I like ROR a lot. But for his sake I think a trade and a fresh start could invigorate him as a player. Perennial losing can have a corrosive affect, You can see it in his stale play. The Sabres need to change the dynamic in the locker room. Moving him in a reasonably balanced deal would be the right thing to do for him and the organization. 

I'm assuming you've come around on the thought that he wouldn't have much trade value.

32 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm assuming you've come around on the thought that he wouldn't have much trade value.

Well, you think it would go up a tad if the Sabres pay that bonus. Weird on in the NHL the cap hit goes to the new team..even if the Sabres pay it. I kinda would like to see something similar in the NFL..where a team could trade a portion or even all the prorated portion of a bonus to the new team..think it could spark more trades..which i love

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Absolutely not! If you can't get a value deal for him then he should be retained. This situation is demonstrably different from the Evander Kane situation where he was going to be a free agent and that he was carrying some smelly baggage. The bottom line is when you have an asset then it should be properly utilized. Make no mistake that keeping him is also part of the options when considering the deals on the market. 

There will be good competition for Hutton.

31 Thoughts: All eyes on John Tavares during UFA interview period - Sportsnet.ca

15. It’s believed Buffalo is in on Carter Hutton.

17. There looks to be a pre-July 1 price and post-July 1 price on Ryan O’Reilly. He is due a $7.5 million bonus, and that’s affecting what the Sabres can get. If Buffalo pays, it probably makes sense to keep him, except that the offers may improve. St. Louis was circling, and it’s possible that morphs into something bigger. The Blues might want Vladimir Sobotka to be part of the package, too. I could see the Sharks being a possibility if they don’t get Tavares.

HMM, just read the Caps not qualifying Devante Smith- Pelly..all cap related. That dude was a pretty strong dude in the playoffs..not so much regular season. I mean dude played on the Ovis line when Wilson was suspended.

6-26: Sabres' AGM Randy Sexton with Howard and Jeremy on WGR (14:26)

Joining @hsimon62 & @JeremyWGR now - @BuffaloSabres assistant GM Randy Sexton!

Sexton - The USHL is a bit older of a league, it tends to be older than the Canadian Hockey league - the three major junior leagues there

Sexton - Our organizational philosophy is to take the best player available... it was just the way the list worked out for us this year (on if the team planned to take 5 defensemen)

Sexton - The focus is development, not evaluation. We work hard with our staff to make sure this week is a rich and enriched week of development with these players

28 minutes ago, GG said:

I remember the days when Antipin was seen as a possible savior of the D corps.

Good times, good times.

I love reading through the daily thoughts people have for our prospects.  They're all supposed to be 30 goal scorers or top pair defensemen by now.  They're all so good that they could even beat a team full of mini-Ditkas.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:56 PM, JohnC said:

Absolutely not! If you can't get a value deal for him then he should be retained. This situation is demonstrably different from the Evander Kane situation where he was going to be a free agent and that he was carrying some smelly baggage. The bottom line is when you have an asset then it should be properly utilized. Make no mistake that keeping him is also part of the options when considering the deals on the market. 

Sorry, I thought your original stance is that there would be no market for him, thanks in part to the contract.  Now that we do know there's interest out there, I'll be very curious to see how this chatter changes once Buffalo has paid that July 1st bonus.  I really don't have any expectation for what will happen with him, but as you're suggesting, it's going to come down to what exactly this team wants in return.  If I'm the one calling those shots, there needs to be a player or two that can step in right now, more than likely some young prospects (25 or younger) about to step up to the NHL level.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Sorry, I thought your original stance is that there would be no market for him, thanks in part to the contract.  Now that we do know there's interest out there, I'll be very curious to see how this chatter changes once Buffalo has paid that July 1st bonus.  I really don't have any expectation for what will happen with him, but as you're suggesting, it's going to come down to what exactly this team wants in return.  If I'm the one calling those shots, there needs to be a player or two that can step in right now, more than likely some young prospects (25 or younger) about to step up to the NHL level.

If the Sabres trade O'Reilly they are going to want a bone fide scorer. Pacioretty from Montreal or Skinner from Carolina would be reasonable deals for O'Reilly. My sense is that Boterill is determined to change the makeup of the room. The Sabres need scorers for their impotent offense. And they need a scorer to play on a line with Jack so his stunning passes don't get wasted by a winger who can't handle them.  

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-montreal-canadiens-buffalo-sabres-ryan-oreilly/2018/04/14/

https://puckprose.com/2018/06/06/nhl-trade-rumors-buffalo-sabres-ryan-o-reilly/

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

If the Sabres trade O'Reilly they are going to want a bone fide scorer. Pacioretty from Montreal or Skinner from Carolina would be reasonable deals for O'Reilly. My sense is that Boterill is determined to change the makeup of the room. The Sabres need scorers for their impotent offense. And they need a scorer to play on a line with Jack so his stunning passes don't get wasted by a winger who can't handle them.  

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-montreal-canadiens-buffalo-sabres-ryan-oreilly/2018/04/14/

https://puckprose.com/2018/06/06/nhl-trade-rumors-buffalo-sabres-ryan-o-reilly/

If GMJB trades O'riely and either Skinner or Max is the main piece coming back I will be pissed, especially after paying that bonus( i know, not my money and doesn't affect cap, but its the principle!)

If they are throw-ins, I get it. 

Both getting up there, both have one year left on their deals, both UFA's next year.

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

If GMJB trades O'riely and either Skinner or Max is the main piece coming back I will be pissed, especially after paying that bonus( i know, not my money and doesn't affect cap, but its the principle!)

If they are throw-ins, I get it. 

Both getting up there, both have one year left on their deals, both UFA's next year.

What principle are you clinging to? You do what you have to do to get a deal done. If paying the bonus makes him easier to move then why be so resistant to that option? Our GM is not obligated to trade O'Reilly. If he can get a fair-value deal done then it will materialize. If he can't then O'Reilly will be kept. That in itself is not a bad option. What complicates getting a deal done has as much to do with the length of the contract coming back for a player that is already locked up. That's the challenge in making a deal. 

My sense is that JB wants to move ROR. But he is not going to move him for the sake of shaking things up and risking diminishing the roster. One factor causing pause to a deal is whether a young player such as Mittlestadt is ready to be a second line center and a replacement for ROR. I'm not so sure that he is. 

Very often what you don't do turns out to be better than what you could have done. I have no problem with keeping ROR and hope that his batteries get recharged. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Very often what you don't do turns out to be better than what you could have done. I have no problem with keeping ROR and hope that his batteries get recharged. 

he needs more than his batteries recharged..he needs an infusion of excitement and joy , and stop being Debbie freaking downer after every game.

Casey no way ready to be 2nd line center..that's why I said both Max and Skinner better be throw-ins..or the Sabres need a better plan than Casey getting 2nd line minutes..that will be a recipe for disaster in my mind.

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

he needs more than his batteries recharged..he needs an infusion of excitement and joy , and stop being Debbie freaking downer after every game.

He also needs to change his off-ice lifestyle for both physical and emotional health reasons.

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Casey no way ready to be 2nd line center..that's why I said both Max and Skinner better be throw-ins..or the Sabres need a better plan than Casey getting 2nd line minutes..that will be a recipe for disaster in my mind.

Winning at a regular rate will do a lot to invigorate a depleted personality. 

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He also needs to change his off-ice lifestyle for both physical and emotional health reasons.

Your response has left me befuddled. I don't know what you are referring to? 

Edited by JohnC

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

that i cannot speak to

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Your response has left me befuddled. I don't know what you are referring to? 

Well, let's just say that his Tim Hortons gaffe of yore isn't exactly an isolated incident.