[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Yuck, a leaf. Puke.

and for only $11M per year?  Damn. JT left at least $11M on the table (if the Isles were offering $88M over 8yrs like the rumors state). 

Eichel has a damn long way to go to live up to his $10M... 

on a positive note - it may be tougher to keep Matthews + Nylander + Marner now too. 

Both Marner and Matthews said they want to wait to sign until next year. 

Marner was rumored to be asking for Eichel money. I'd guess Matthews wants even more. Can't pay everyone... 

Plus, there is already a supposed rift between Matthews and Babcock. Rumor is it's over Matthews usage. He wants to be used as a #1C, and get the PP time and even strength mins to go with that. 

With KT there now, I can't imagine Matthews icetime will go up... if Baba was giving Matthews icetime to Bozak, imagine what it'll be like with JT. 

I have to believe JT will be their #1C for the foreseeable future. Babcock loves his vets and has a long history with JT. 

Everything will probably work out fine and Toronto will be a juggernaut. But it'll be an interesting story to follow, at least.

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Now the Leafs have to turn Nylander or Marner into D help or the Tavares signing won't amount to much, unless, of course, Tavares is skilled at keeping the puck out of his own net.

If Game 7 against Boston taught us anything about the Leafs is that they need to keep the puck out of their own net to go anywhere. Tavares signing doesn't help that unless they have something up their sleeves.  

They should take a page from the Sabres and learn what happens when you try to build a team around two elite centers and nothing else.

5 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Everyone said that the Tavares domino was the one that had to fall before the ROR deal got done. Might happen soon now. 

I am hoping a couple of the teams reeling from missing out on JT are panicked enough to start a bidding war for ROR... lol. 

Like, maybe the Isles feels desperate to land a good center to help shelter Barzal instead of forcing him into the #1C role after only 1 season. 

Or the Sharks feel the pressure to go for it with their aging core. 

I can hope, right? 

I am am perfectly happy keeping ROR though, if the offers aren't right. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sweet! This could turn out to be a really nice signing in the coming years. 

Definitely have no issue giving up Fasching for Hickey. 

I honestly didn't know what our chances were of signing him. 

Buffalo has such an over-abundance of LH defenseman right now. I thought maybe he would question his opportunity here. Although many of those LH D are scrubs, so if Hickey would have seen them as reason not to sign, I'd have really questioned his confidence in himself. 

For Leafs fans....................

Don't fall into the Damon Severson rhetoric. Severson is far from a finished product and Hynes benched him a few times last year.

Toronto needs to really improve their D core, but don't trade Marner for Severson. That might not work out too well for Toronto. Look to other teams that need offensive help that have a D man to offer

https://mobile.twitter.com/Dan_Dunleavy/status/1012763290559107072

Can't be understated the attitude of the prospects at @BuffaloSabres development camp this year. Every player I ask telling me the coaches had a lot to do with that. This culture change is officially for real in Buffalo. I cant wait to watch this thing turn around.

Edit - can someone help me. I cant embed tweets anymore. 

I used to just click on that arrow arrow at the top right of the tweet and select "copy link to tweet". 

But that option no longer longer pops up when I click on that little black arrow at the top of tweets. 

It only gives me the option to "embed tweet" or "cancel". 

Edited by BillsFan4

THe media for over a decade had tried to sell that Tavares would be a Leaf, on three or so occasions it could have happened

even a fake news line of the Leafs grabbing him underage and sending him to the AHL around 2008

So when the media stops demanding it he comes to Toronto....

2 minutes ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Oh well. No reason to sell low. You want the best center on the market now? Pay up.

The price should be even higher for Canadiens because we're in the same division.   Bergy is holding on to that job by a thread. Botts should try to take advantage of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The price should be even higher for Canadiens because we're in the same division.   Bergy is holding on to that job by a thread. Botts should try to take advantage of him. 

The flip side with dealing with the Sabres is that the teams vying for ROR know that the GM is determined to trade him. My sense in listening to our GM after the season was finished was that he was determined to change the makeup of the room. The centerpiece to that change is subtracting the gap toothed center from the roster. A deal is going to get done but no one is going to be shaken down in trading for our center. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The flip side with dealing with the Sabres is that the teams vying for ROR know that the GM is determined to trade him. My sense in listening to our GM after the season was finished was that he was determined to change the makeup of the room. The centerpiece to that change is subtracting the gap toothed center from the roster. A deal is going to get done but no one is going to be shaken down in trading for our center. 

The return is interesting.  Another first in 2019, a second in 2021, Tage Thompson (pick 26 in 2016), Sobotka, and Berglund.  Berglund has always been frustrating because he flashes the power forward skills at times, then disappears.  Sobotka is a pest...bottom six guy.

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The return is interesting.  Another first in 2019, a second in 2021, Tage Thompson (pick 26 in 2016), Sobotka, and Berglund.  Berglund has always been frustrating because he flashes the power forward skills at times, then disappears.  Sobotka is a pest...bottom six guy. 

We traded a 1C for two old 3 liners, a decent prospect, a 1st and 2nd.

Seems like a "take one step back to take two steps forward" kind of deal, but after Vegas this year, I'll never doubt the power of depth and a good locker room again.

8 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

They should take a page from the Sabres and learn what happens when you try to build a team around two elite centers and nothing else.

Elite?  I know you don't mean Drunken Donut.  Not too many elite anythings get bombed and run over Tim Horton's.