[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Ryan O'Reilly Traded to the Blues
3 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

We traded a 1C for two old 3 liners, a decent prospect, a 1st and 2nd.

Seems like a "take one step back to take two steps forward" kind of deal, but after Vegas this year, I'll never doubt the power of depth and a good locker room again.

There were reports of some friction between O'Reilly and the younger guys on this team.  I like the deal as it shakes some things up and gives us two veteran forwards.  Also, we now have three 1st round picks next year that should give us plenty of ammunition come trade deadline next season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

There were reports of some friction between O'Reilly and the younger guys on this team.  I like the deal as it shakes some things up and gives us two veteran forwards.  Also, we now have three 1st round picks next year that should give us plenty of ammunition come trade deadline next season.

Let's hope we're not in the market for an oft injured head case goalie.  

Jeebus!  What are all the reporters going to do now that they don't have to spend time covering the "I have to get better...It's all on me...We need to look in the mirror" spiel after every loss.  The press corps in St. Louis should pick up some extra batteries and chargers for their recording devices.

16 minutes ago, GG said:

Let's hope we're not in the market for an oft injured head case goalie.  

I thought under NHL rules, every team has to carry one on the roster.  ?

9 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

We traded a 1C for two old 3 liners, a decent prospect, a 1st and 2nd.

Seems like a "take one step back to take two steps forward" kind of deal, but after Vegas this year, I'll never doubt the power of depth and a good locker room again.

O'Reilly is not by any measure a 1C.

• Like (+1) 1

7-2: Andy Strickland of FOX Sports Midwest Discusses the Ryan O'Reilly trade with Jeremy White on WGR (14:55)

With more on the Ryan O'Reilly trade and what the #Sabres are getting back from the Blues, @andystrickland joins Jeremy White next on WGR!

Strickland - depth up the middle has been a deficiency of the Blues for the past several years now. Ryan O'Reilly can help fill that void along with a guy like Brayden Schenn. The team is excited about having some strength up the middle. 

Strickland - Tage Thompson played a number of games in the NHL last year. A number of people were excited about his chances in the NHL. He has an elite shot. He had a great opportunity to get some NHL action right out of college last year. #Sabres

Strickland - Patrik Berglund and Vladimir Sobotka are two really good NHL players. They may not be flashy, but they can be really reliable players for your team. #Sabres

Strickland - Vladimir Sobotka has had some good moments in the NHL. He's a smaller player, but he's never been afraid to stand up to anybody. He came back from the KHL a better hockey player offensively, but that grittiness wasn't there as much. #Sabres

Strickland - Carter Hutton is an unreal teammate. You don't have to worry about this guy. He will come ready to play every day, and he will elevate other players around him, in terms of habits. I've also never heard anyone say anything bad about Berglund. #Sabres

Strickland - Sobotka is more on the quiet side, more intense, but he knows how to fit in to a NHL locker room. From a character standpoint, these guys will enhance the locker room. #Sabres

There are people losing their minds that we traded arguably or 2nd best player. My question is this, what has our record been every year since getting Ryan O’Reilly? This is officially Jacks team now..

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

There are people losing their minds that we traded arguably or 2nd best player. My question is this, what has our record been every year since getting Ryan O’Reilly? This is official Jacks team now..

This whole trade came to Bergland being a Swede. Trade not made if a Swede is not included.

BTW @JohnC , i be drinking two beers at the opener now! 

10 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

There are people losing their minds that we traded arguably or 2nd best player. My question is this, what has our record been every year since getting Ryan O’Reilly? This is officially Jacks team now..

The new "core" is Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, and Mittelstadt.  Hopefully Nylander joins them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can't see that happening.  Risto slots in perfectly as a 2nd pair D.

I like Risto..i just have a feeling those first round picks are not getting picked by the Sabres..1 of the yes, but I think the other two are used in trades. 

But then again, we have seen that movie before, so maybe TPegs is okay with waiting ...

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

O'Reilly is not by any measure a 1C.

That is a fact.

Just glad it's over and Cryin' Ryan is gone.

Botterill did the best he could and I can't knock this move.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, eball said:

The new "core" is Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, and Mittelstadt.  Hopefully Nylander joins them.

I'd throw Ristolainen in with that list.  He's asked to do too much at this point, but if Dahlin comes even close to what he's expected to be, suddenly Ristolainen becomes a very effective player on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Dat bane sure, holy oaken!

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Just glad it's over and Cryin' Ryan is gone.

Never saw him referred to as that, but seems appropriate after hearing the same interview from him after most games.

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

The same as its been since we drafted Eichel.  Piss poor.