[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Sabres' youngsters are learning valuable lessons in the preseason

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - Sam Reinhart didn’t look like he missed any time as he assisted on the first two Buffalo goals. In the first period he was right in his office screening Freddie Andersen for Kyle Okposo.

Late in the second period, Reinhart took the puck hard to the net and Jeff Skinner cleaned up his rebound for his first in a Sabre uniform.

Reinhart said after his first practice he didn’t feel like he was behind and watching this game tells me he was right. Phil Housley said he was their best forward.

Reinhart started on a line with Patrik Berglund and Evan Rodrigues, but by the second period, he was with Skinner and Jack Eichel.

Reinhart spent quite a bit of time in front of the net which is why he did so well last season in the final 44 games.

The Leafs went after Rasmus Dahlin and taught him a few lessons. While on the power play, old veteran Patrick Marleau went right at the kid and stole the puck going in alone on Carter Hutton. The Sabres new netminder made a great save to bail his teammate out.

Watching Sam Reinhart set a perfectly-timed screen on Saturday night, it was as if he hadn't missed a beat during his week away from training camp.

While the Buffalo Sabres did find areas to improve in their 3-2 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday, Reinhart was excellent in his preseason debut. He notched two assists, tallied a team-high six shots and set the screen that led to a power-play goal from Kyle Okposo in the first period. 

"I thought he was one of our best forwards," Sabres coach Phil Housley said. "He looked very comfortable, he fit right in. He was on the puck, he was making plays. He was trying to make a difference tonight."

On 9/21/2018 at 4:48 PM, Pete said:

I haven't had cable in 20 years and loved it- but I broke down a couple months ago and got an ok deal for internet and cable packaged.  I only wanted YES network, Bien Sports, and PBS- and after a sports package, the deal is not that great. But while I am splurging for sports.  And the fact that it is easier to find Waldo then hockey on TV, let alone the Sabres.  I am adding NHL Center Ice Sept 30.  It's been awhile, this years Sabres will be quite enjoyable to watch!  Welcome back in my life Sabres! Let's go Buffalo!

Are you inside the Sabres market?  Their games will be blacked out on center ice if you are.

By Tim Graham - The Athletic

BUFFALO, N.Y. — In a dimly lit room off a sobering hospital corridor, Danielle Okposo curled herself in a chair every day and wearily waited for her husband to call out.

Your rings! Your rings!

She would reach out and instantly settle him.

Kyle Okposo couldn’t form full sentences. He was incoherent, confused, paranoid. He strained to recognize loved ones. He thought staffers around his bedside were there to hurt him.

Danielle was terrified. Doctors couldn’t provide answers.

Just over 18 months ago, Kyle suffered a concussion in a Buffalo Sabres workout, but the hit felt so ordinary he wouldn’t be diagnosed for days.
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

By Tim Graham - The Athletic

BUFFALO, N.Y. — In a dimly lit room off a sobering hospital corridor, Danielle Okposo curled herself in a chair every day and wearily waited for her husband to call out.

Your rings! Your rings!

She would reach out and instantly settle him.

Kyle Okposo couldn’t form full sentences. He was incoherent, confused, paranoid. He strained to recognize loved ones. He thought staffers around his bedside were there to hurt him.

Danielle was terrified. Doctors couldn’t provide answers.

Just over 18 months ago, Kyle suffered a concussion in a Buffalo Sabres workout, but the hit felt so ordinary he wouldn’t be diagnosed for days.

OMG! what a story. 

Unbelieveable what he went through. I knew it was bad, but I didn’t know it was that bad. 

I give him a lot of credit for sharing some of those details. 

Via the Flyers:

His father was a “bully,” so naturally he has some of those tendencies – talented but feisty, a fierce competitor, known for his agility given his size. He’s loyal but mischievous; the ultimate Flyers fan who loves the orange and black, but is unwelcoming to anyone who opposes his team. Legend has it he earned the name “Gritty” for possessing an attitude so similar to the team he follows.

He claims that he’s been around for a lot longer than we know it, and recent construction at the Wells Fargo Center disturbed his secret hideout forcing him to show his face publicly for the first time. He has some oddities that are both humorous and strange. A number of times he’s been caught eating snow straight from the Zamboni machine, and unbeknown to most, his love of hot dogs has been inflating the Flyers Dollar Dog Night consumption totals for years.

That being said, there’s no denying that he’s one of our own.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/09/24/meet-gritty-the-flyers-horrifyingly-delightful-new-mascot/

So.... the Flyers new mascot is a guy named Gritty - a mischievous bully who is unwelcoming to opposing fans. 

Only in philly, I swear. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Via the Flyers:

His father was a “bully,” so naturally he has some of those tendencies – talented but feisty, a fierce competitor, known for his agility given his size. He’s loyal but mischievous; the ultimate Flyers fan who loves the orange and black, but is unwelcoming to anyone who opposes his team. Legend has it he earned the name “Gritty” for possessing an attitude so similar to the team he follows.

He claims that he’s been around for a lot longer than we know it, and recent construction at the Wells Fargo Center disturbed his secret hideout forcing him to show his face publicly for the first time. He has some oddities that are both humorous and strange. A number of times he’s been caught eating snow straight from the Zamboni machine, and unbeknown to most, his love of hot dogs has been inflating the Flyers Dollar Dog Night consumption totals for years.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/09/24/meet-gritty-the-flyers-horrifyingly-delightful-new-mascot/

So.... the Flyers new mascot is a guy named Gritty - a mischievous bully who is unwelcoming to opposing fans. 

Only in philly, I swear. 

I'm thinking of another word that rhymes with Gritty. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Preseason Game 5 vs. CBJ 7 PM ET on 9/25 on NBCSN

Congrats on a great career! 

I like that he will be taking on a small part with the Sabres. I am hoping that it’s in some type of player development role. I think he could really excel in that type of job, and could be a very valuable resource to our younger guys coming up. 

Edit - just listened to the full press conference. It sounds like he is taking on a player development role down in Rochester

Edited by BillsFan4

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Preseason Game 5 vs. CBJ at 7 PM ET on 9/25 on NBCSN
4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Via the Flyers:

Only in philly, I swear. 

Didn't take Scotty Hartnell long to find a new gig.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Via the Flyers:

Only in philly, I swear. 

I think writer/comedian Bruce Vilanch was separated at birth from Gritty.

image.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 3

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Preseason Game 6 vs. PIT at 7 PM ET on 9/26
1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

When I compare lineups, I see this getting fugly early on. 

Also, Casey Mitts and Nylander playing back to backs suggests to me they are on their way to RaChaCha to start the season. 

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think Guhle was probably always slated to start the year in Rochester unless he really blew the coaches away in training camp + preseason.

But yeah, I think he’s sealed his fate. At this point, It would shock me more if he WASN’T in Rochester to start the season... 

40 minutes ago, K-9 said:

When I compare lineups, I see this getting fugly early on. 

Also, Casey Mitts and Nylander playing back to backs suggests to me they are on their way to RaChaCha to start the season. 

Mittelstadt has had a very disappointing preseason IMO. I could definitely see him in the AHL to start the year. Or maybe they’ll give him some NHL games to start the year and if he stills looks to be struggling, send him down then. I believe the clock has started on his ELC no matter where he plays. That could potentially be the thing that gets him a look in the NHL to start the year. 

But I think hes he’s probably be better off starting in Rochester at this point. It’s kind of hard to say he’s legitimately earned his spot (definitely not at #2C, that’s for sure), and I hate handing kids NHL jobs they haven’t earned. 

Berglund likely starts at 2C, and maybe Sobotka at 3C is my guess. Both have been better than Mittelstadt this preseason, IMO. 

I wonder where where they view Bailey and Baptiste? Both need to clear waivers to go to Rochester. Rodrigues too, but he’s earned his spot IMO. I think bailey has shown enough as well, to at least get a bottom 6 spot to start the year. Baptiste, not so much... big game for him tonight. 

52 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Two big injuries!

Damn. Brutal for both teams. 

Ducks really needed Perry to have a bounce back year, and now that’s impossible. 

And Columbus... losing their best defenseman for roughly the first month of the season. Seth Jones has really come into his own and is becoming one of the better defenseman in the NHL. Losing him is a huge blow. Hopefully he’s able to make a speedy recovery. 

I feel for Columbus with everything going on. They finally put together a good team and now it’s looking like they may lose 2 of their 3 best players (Panarin and Bobrovsky) during/after this season to free agency, or a trade by the deadline, since neither seem willing to re-sign in CBus (heard Bob wants the same as Price - $10.5M per, otherwise he wants to test free agency, and that Panarin is just unwilling to sign right now for any price). 

Well... that was even uglier than I thought it would be. 

It was basically our AHL team vs their NHL team, so I expected that they’d lose.

But still.... I didn’t like seeing all the confusion and blown assignments. 

It looked like a classic Sabres stinker. One of those where all game, Buffalo is basically just chipping the puck into the neutral zone and letting the other team set right back up on the attack. 

It felt like Pittsburgh spent almost the entire first period in the o zone. 

Then buffalo woke up to start the 2nd, scored a goal and looked like they might make a game of it. But Pittsburgh scored and pretty much took over the rest of the period. 

Then again in the 3rd buffalo showed a little life, but it was once again short lived. 

It’s understandable that that they were outclassed, talent wise. But they were completely outclassed, system wise too. Buffalo looked like a junior team out there - just running around completely disorganized. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Final Preseason Game vs. NYI at 7 PM ET on 9/28
22 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So much for my predictive abilities. I thought Asplund was gonna make the big squad coming out of camp. 

He came closer than I thought he would. I think he will be back up soon enough. 

Also, sometimes moves like this are made until another corresponding move can be made - like in this case, maybe trading Larsson/Girgensons etc. so they don’t lose them for nothing on waivers. 

I do think Asplund needed some time in the AHL though. He played great at times, and then at other times looked a bit confused (as to where he was supposed to be on this smaller ice, or who he was supposed to be covering etc). Some time in the A will do him good. 

I bet he will be driven as all hell to get back up, too (which should hopefully rub off on everyone in Rochester). I guess he was pretty desperate to get to North America and had been begging the Sabres to bring him over for a couple years. 

• Like (+1) 1