[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

56 minutes ago, Dante said:

I don't have time to read the entire thread. Are there any reports on how Dahlin is doing? I think if they combine Skinner and Eichel that would be very interesting to.

Pretty much every report I've seen is that he is "as expected" but will still have a learning curve and make his share of "rookie mistakes."

39 minutes ago, K-9 said:

One of the best logos ever designed.

As great as this logo is the current Hurricane one may be the worst in the league. 

I used to love the theme music in Hartford as well. As iconic as Buffalo's "Sabre Dance"

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Dante said:

As great as this logo is the current Hurricane one may be the worst in the league. 

I used to love the theme music in Hartford as well. As iconic as Buffalo's "Sabre Dance"

I don't know.  I'd say they really captured the essence of a flushing toilet.

Here's a great Hurricane story for you.  Last week during the coverage for the storm out here, apparently someone actually complained to one of the tv stations about them using the Hurricanes' secondary logo in their coverage.  They didn't like something negative like that storm being associated with the team.  That person had absolutely no clue what the origin was for the team's flag shoulder patch.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I don't know.  I'd say they really captured the essence of a flushing toilet.

Here's a great Hurricane story for you.  Last week during the coverage for the storm out here, apparently someone actually complained to one of the tv stations about them using the Hurricanes' secondary logo in their coverage.  They didn't like something negative like that storm being associated with the team.  That person had absolutely no clue what the origin was for the team's flag shoulder patch.

If they played in the Southern Hemisphere, their jerseys would flush in the opposite direction.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

I don't know, I just don't get it.  A sideways "E" with a tail?

It’s the old Hartford Whalers Jersey. The Carolina Hurricanes were originally the Hartford whalers before they moved to Carolina in 1997. 

Its not an E, that shot is showing it sideways. 

Here’s the logo  - 

https://goo.gl/images/97XZoC

It’s a “W” with a whale’s tail above it. The negative space in between forms an “H”. 

It’s cool to see them honor their roots. I’ve loved seeing all the retro 3rd jerseys coming out this year. It brings back memories for me.

43 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s the old Hartford Whalers Jersey. The Carolina Hurricanes were originally the Hartford whalers before they moved to Carolina in 1997. 

Its not an E, that shot is showing it sideways. 

Here’s the logo  - 

https://goo.gl/images/97XZoC

It’s a “W” with a whale’s tail above it. The negative space in between forms an “H”. 

It’s cool to see them honor their roots. I’ve loved seeing all the retro 3rd jerseys coming out this year. It brings back memories for me.

I miss the Whalers.  I have seen many Whalers games- including the greatest team ever Edmonton Oilers beating the Whale 11-1.  Man that team was stacked!  Hartford used to rock back in the day.  It died when the Whalers were stolen.  !@#$ Carolina!

Just now, Pete said:

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

and I will take over for Dahlin and 47.5

I hope you’re right, but I wouldn’t take that bet. 

47 points would put Dahlin 2nd in scoring, in the entire history of the NHL, for an under 19 defenseman. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/all-time-season?position=d&age=u19

Housley is #1 with 61 points. 

The next closest is Bobby Orr at #2 with 41 points. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I hope you’re right, but I wouldn’t take that bet. 

47 points would put Dahlin 2nd in scoring, in the entire history of the NHL, for an under 19 defenseman. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/all-time-season?position=d&age=u19

Housley is #1 with 61 points. 

The next closest is Bobby Orr at #2 with 41 points. 

The Sabres will be great on power plays this season!  And Dahlin will run it IMO.  His passing, shot, and playmaking ability are off the chart.  For once Buffalo got lucky and won a lottery.  Dahlin is a cornerstone

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

The Sabres will be great on power plays this season!  And Dahlin will run it IMO.  His passing, shot, and playmaking ability are off the chart.  For once Buffalo got lucky and won a lottery.  Dahlin is a cornerstone

Totally agree. Dahlin is a cornerstone player and likely the best defensive prospect to enter the NHL in years. Maybe even since Potvin. I think he will be our long term #1D and maybe even a generational defenseman. 

But I just like to temper my expectations for rookies. Especially with how bad the Sabres have been, and how young Dahlin is, and the fact that he’s playing on the smaller North American ice.

I have very high expectations for him in the future. I just don’t want to set the bar too high for this season. 

If he could put up the same 39 point rookie season as Ekblad, I’d be thrilled. But I don’t even expect that because Ekblad was already a man at 18yrs old. He was very physically mature for his age. Dahlin is still a kid. He said himself he just entered puberty within the last year or two. 

His coach said that last offseason was the first one that Dahlin could implement a proper professional training regime (due to not being physically mautre enough before that).

And Dahlin said similar himself - “I have practiced hard all summer before, but I hadn’t really entered puberty so I haven’t been able to build up muscle the way that I have needed. It will be important this summer to build up my muscle mass a bit”.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2017/4/25/15337912/rasmus-dahlin-2018-nhl-entry-draft-prospect-development-interview-coach-frolunda-ronnberg-johansson

I am always like this with every rookie though. I always like to have lower expectations. 

I just want want to see Dahlin developing properly. I don’t care about point totals as much as I do his overall game. But if I had to put a number out there, I’d say that I’m expecting at least 20-25pts. Anything more than that is gravy... (assuming his overall development looks on track). 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Game 1 vs. BOS at 7 PM ET on 10/4

I don’t think it’ll be too long before Pilut is back up. He showed a lot of promise. He just needs to clean up his d zone play a bit and learn when to take risks and when not to. 

I do think he will eventually be a full time NHL defenseman though. 

A bit surprised Guhle made it. I thought he struggled all preseason, outside of the last 2 games. I just hope he’s not sitting in the press box for weeks at a time. I’d much rather have him playing big minutes in Rochester if that’s the case. 

Love that Nylander and Thompson appear to have made it. They both earned it, although I still could have seen it go either way (since they did struggle at times and have plenty to work on). 

Glad Tennyson is being sent down. I was not prepared to live through another Tennyson experiment to start this season... lol.

And I really hope Bailey and Baptiste make it to Rochester. I actually thought that maybe Bailey did enough to stick on the 4th line for now. I’d be pretty bummed to lose him. Baptiste was basically invisible in the games he did play, so no surprise there. But I’m still hoping he makes it through waivers. He’s definitely better than he’s shown this preseason. 

I could see a team taking a chance on either one though, with the speed they have. With the way the NHL is trending, speedy wingers are more popular than ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t think it’ll be too long before Pilut is back up. He showed a lot of promise. He just needs to clean up his d zone play a bit and learn when to take risks and when not to. 

I do think he will eventually be a full time NHL defenseman though. 

A bit surprised Guhle made it. I thought he struggled all preseason, outside of the last 2 games. I just hope he’s not sitting in the press box for weeks at a time. I’d much rather have him playing big minutes in Rochester if that’s the case. 

Love that Nylander and Thompson appear to have made it. They both earned it, although I still could have seen it go either way (since they did struggle at times and have plenty to work on). 

Glad Tennyson is being sent down. I was not prepared to live through another Tennyson experiment to start this season... lol.

And I really hope Bailey and Baptiste make it to Rochester. I actually thought that maybe Bailey did enough to stick on the 4th line for now. I’d be pretty bummed to lose him. Baptiste was basically invisible in the games he did play, so no surprise there. But I’m still hoping he makes it through waivers. He’s definitely better than he’s shown this preseason. 

I could see a team taking a chance on either one though, with the speed they have. With the way the NHL is trending, speedy wingers are more popular than ever. 

Because Bogo is so injury prone I understand why  the organization was inclined to keep Guhle with the big club rather than sending him down. As like you I would rather see him play a lot of minutes in Rochester than intermittently play in Buffalo. 

With respect to Bailey and Baptiste I like each of these young players. But the both of them have the same glaring deficiency that would preclude them from being top two line players i.e. they are not proficient at finishing. At best they are third line players. I'm not sneering at that role because it is important. But there are plenty of third line player to play that role. Again, as like you I hope we can keep both players in the system,

• Like (+1) 1

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/29/twenty-years-later-cup-winner-steve-smith-rejoins-housley-to-run-sabres-defense/

Where Smith is not calm is when he's asked his early impressions of Dahlin. He's downright effusive in his praise.

"After day one, I said to myself, 'I better really watch this kid because I might learn something,' " Smith joked. "He's clearly very special but even more important than that, he's really a great young man. He's a student of the game. He wants to learn. He's not averse to constructive criticism. He works on his game before and after practice. He wants to see video and see his mistakes.

"I've found him in the video room on his own watching his shifts. That's a different way of going about it for a young player like that and a young star like that."

Interestingly, Smith said Dahlin is soft spoken but not always meek on the bench like many 18-year-olds tend to be.

"He wants to know if that was his guy, if he had another play, whether another option was available," Smith said. "He's quite conversant for a young guy. I find him quite engaged."

Dahlin finds Smith quite a resource in his first exposure to the NHL.

"He's already taught me a lot. He's a great coach," Dahlin said. "He really knows what hockey is about. We're talking a lot about the system and things going on right now. ... Of course, there are small things I need to improve on but we're working on it all the time. There's hundreds of things you can be better at."

Good article on Steve Smith. I was excited when buffalo hired him. I think he is a big add to this coaching staff. He did a good job with carolina’s defense.