I miss Leodis McKelvin interviews...

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's inaccurate, because it fails to make the distinction between "awareness" and "choice."  

I'm very aware of people's feelings, to the point where I can very accurately manage and predict their behavior.  Doesn't mean I choose to empathize with their juvenile histrionics.

?

You're an idiot.

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I'm hopeful the irony of that is not lost on anyone who grew up watching the American south in the 60s.

The irony's not lost on me, either.  Doesn't make it at all right.  

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

?

You're an idiot.

On the other hand...I don't know what that emoji is supposed to be.  Is it laughter?  Snoring?  Waterboarding?  

These new emojis suck.

7 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I'm hopeful the irony of that is not lost on anyone who grew up watching the American south in the 60s.

You comparing being a white male to the South in the 60s?  I hope not because that would be one of the most ignorant things ever said on this board and that’s saying something.

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The irony's not lost on me, either.  Doesn't make it at all right.  

On the other hand...I don't know what that emoji is supposed to be.  Is it laughter?  Snoring?  Waterboarding?  

These new emojis suck.

Farting

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Yes.    And if you extropalate back from there, why is the education system so poor?  Why are the rates of poverty so high?  There is a long history in the answers to those questions, especially in the south.

I could understand him because I chose to listen to him; he has a very thick accent, and it sounds like a slight stutter.  For some they hear that and immediately tune out and feel like they can't understand someone.  I get it.  I'm not saying Peace Frog is a bigot either, I hope that wasn't the impression he/she got or others got from my initial post.  Some just find humor in various things.  Traditionally, there is a long history to de-humanizing people for various reasons, which provided "reasons" for bigotry.   This is also done to poor whites who are referred to as "white trash" another term I cannot stand.  

Peace Frog just found it funny.  But being who I am I have a lot of of experience with people who claimed humor, but were really saying something else.

I was born in Cheektowaga, moved to southeast Texas when I was twelve, graduated from HS there, moved back to West Seneca after military and college, moved back to Dallas 6 years later, and am now living in WA state.  I have heard many, many accents, slang terms, southern drawls, Pacific NW lingo, etc.  I happen to find Leodis' speech enjoyably amusing as I would Boomhauer, Foghorn Leghorn, or anyone else who sounds 'different' than how I speak.  Part of my amusement is deciphering his speech as it is a mix of southern accent, stutter, repetition, and fast speak.  I enjoy hearing him talk BECAUSE he sounds different.  His speech is the exact opposite of Ben Stein's character in the Ferris Bueller movie, which is painfully droll.  If anybody is still bothered about this topic being posted to begin with, might I suggest you get over yourself, or is that offensive to you (you as in everybody, not necessarily purple haze) as well?

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Yes.    And if you extropalate back from there, why is the education system so poor?  Why are the rates of poverty so high?  There is a long history in the answers to those questions, especially in the south.

I could understand him because I chose to listen to him; he has a very thick accent, and it sounds like a slight stutter.  For some they hear that and immediately tune out and feel like they can't understand someone.  I get it.  I'm not saying Peace Frog is a bigot either, I hope that wasn't the impression he/she got or others got from my initial post.  Some just find humor in various things.  Traditionally, there is a long history to de-humanizing people for various reasons, which provided "reasons" for bigotry.   This is also done to poor whites who are referred to as "white trash" another term I cannot stand.  

Peace Frog just found it funny.  But being who I am I have a lot of of experience with people who claimed humor, but were really saying something else.

The problems of black America certainly go all the way back to slavery.  In Africa, blacks had a family structure.  It may have been a bit different from white family structure, but it enabled values and customs to be passed on from generation to generation.  Under slavery, black families could be ripped appart on the whim of slave owners.  When slaves were freed, black families no longer had a stable family structure.  Black males did not know how to be fathers and family providers because slavery had denied them the opportunity to learn.  Couple that with the lack of opportunity because white folk wanted to reserve opportunity for themselves and their children, and it became a recipe to keep blacks in poverty for generation after generation: no opportunity, and no means of passing on a culture which would allow the ability to make social advances over time.

A small percentage of blacks have been able to break free, and have created their own opportunities for advancement, and have created a family structure and a culture from scratch, but too many have not.  The failure to do so should not be a reason for blaming black America because there is no evidence to suggests white folk would have done any better had positions been reversed.  Society still has an obligation to try and lend a helping hand to black America.  This is not easy, however.  White America has in many cases tried to create opportunity for blacks.  Unfortunately, there is no easy or quick way to try and help an entire ethnic group to create family structure from scratch, especially since we live in a time where family structure across all cultures is under attack and has disintigrated in many cases.  Sometimes new structure have arisen, sometimes not, but it's tough to offer what we no longer have.

I apologize.  I did not mean to offend with my second language post, but it is true, language in some of the subcultures in our society is sufficiently different that it makes making oneself understood in the "establishment culture" rather difficult, almost as if it is a second language.

Edited by TigerJ

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You comparing being a white male to the South in the 60s?  I hope not because that would be one of the most ignorant things ever said on this board and that’s saying something.

No, not at all, and I do apologize if it seems I said that.  It just seems strange and sad that what America rallied together to eliminate in the 60s has again crept back into the nation's psyche.  Whereas politicians of both parties worked towards the centre to try to improve the conditions for all Americans, today's lot seem only too eager to exploit their far left or far right views.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The problems of black America certainly go all the way back to slavery.  In Africa, blacks had a family structure.  It may have been a bit different from white family structure, but it enabled values and customs to be passed on from generation to generation.  Under slavery, black families could be ripped appart on the whim of slave owners.  When slaves were freed, black families no longer had a stable family structure.  Black males did not know how to be fathers and family providers because slavery had denied them the opportunity to learn.  Couple that with the lack of opportunity because white folk wanted to reserve opportunity for themselves and their children, and it became a recipe to keep blacks in poverty for generation after generation: no opportunity, and no means of passing on a culture which would allow the ability to make social advances over time.

A small percentage of blacks have been able to break free, and have created their own opportunities for advancement, and have created a family structure and a culture from scratch, but too many have not.  The failure to do so should not be a reason for blaming black America because there is no evidence to suggests white folk would have done any better had positions been reversed.  Society still has an obligation to try and lend a helping hand to black America.  This is not easy, however.  White America has in many cases tried to create opportunity for blacks.  Unfortunately, there is no easy or quick way to try and help an entire ethnic group to create family structure from scratch, especially since we live in a time where family structure across all cultures is under attack and has disintigrated in many cases.  Sometimes new structure have arisen, sometimes not, but it's tough to offer what we no longer have.

I apologize.  I did not mean to offend with my second language post, but it is true, language in some of the subcultures in our society is sufficiently different that it makes making oneself understood in the "establishment culture" rather difficult, almost as if it is a second language.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness.    There are a lot of black people doing fine economically, fathers with kids, families, etc.   Still touched by various forms of racism, but far from destitute.

I would add, after slavery into the twentieth century there were many blacks who were business owners, were residents of successful towns where they flourished.  A lot of those towns were burned to the ground;  business owners were run out of business or hung, etc.  the old adage pull yourself by your bootstraps was lost on the bigots.

Poor black people and poor white people have a lot in common, but the ointment many poor whites have been given to "pacify" them is their supposed superiority and the demonization of the "others" having taken what "should be" theirs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

I had a (white) roommate in college from a small town in Ohio across the river from West Virginia. He left for the summer saying he was going “back to Appalachia”. It would take me almost a month to be able to understand him after summer break. He was my Best Man, as I was his. But for the life of me I could barely understand when he talked all bumpkin to me. 

Similar experience for me In college. Guys from the low country in South Carolina have a very thick accent. 

Heck when I went back for visits to Buffalo people would ask me to say certain words to hear the southern draw.

Leodis is one of the good guys. 

I can’t recall him ever being in trouble.

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Similar experience for me In college. Guys from the low country in South Carolina have a very thick accent. 

Heck when I went back for visits to Buffalo people would ask me to say certain words to hear the southern draw.

Leodis is one of the good guys. 

I can’t recall him ever being in trouble.

I worked construction one college summer in Hilton Head. They stuck the only college kid with the only guy who spoke Gullah. We spent the summer pointing and finding other methods of communication. He was REALLY good at what he did, but there’s just a huge cultural and socioeconomic gap. I could go into the racism my partner, Peter, faced....but it’s too sad and this is not the time or place. 

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

eliminated?  let me guess your race.......

I believe efforts at the national level genuinely attempted to eliminate the biases.  Yes, a naive view for a Caucasian kid from the north (Buffalo), far removed from the realities seen at the state and municipal levels, where the injustices still lingered in the southern U.S.  Again, what is disappointing is that society has backslid to a level of intolerance not seen in many years.

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

I appreciate your thoughtfulness.    There are a lot of black people doing fine economically, fathers with kids, families, etc.   Still touched by various forms of racism, but far from destitute.

I would add, after slavery into the twentieth century there were many blacks who were business owners, were residents of successful towns where they flourished.  A lot of those towns were burned to the ground;  business owners were run out of business or hung, etc.  the old adage pull yourself by your bootstraps was lost on the bigots.

Poor black people and poor white people have a lot in common, but the ointment many poor whites have been given to "pacify" them is their supposed superiority and the demonization of the "others" having taken what "should be" theirs.

Absolutely agree, but many blacks who have made it in a predominantly white world often had to overcome a lot more than many white persons who enjoyed similar success.

The perception of racial superiority would be almost funny if it weren't so tragic.  We could go back to Nazi Germany and the myth of the Aryan race.  I recently saw some research into the genetics of ethnicity and ironically the research shows that caucasians are genetically mixed - so-called modern man and neanderthal.  If you want to find those who are most genetically pure "modern" human beings, you have to go to Africans and their descendants.  They do not have the Neanderthal genetics that white folks like me have.

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Leodis my man!

He got dogged on a lot because his early play in his career but the later half he really turned it on and became a steady corner

I miss the dude!

Under Jim Schwartz and who was the Coach for the D backs that year ? come on we know his name
he did kick that azz.

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I wonder if Russ got in the chick doing the interview pants

WIN

thanks Mike !

6 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I did like McKelvin, and he developed into a fine cornerback.  While I did post the "second language" remark in fun, I do surmise that most likely McKelvin's way of speaking probably has cultural roots.  Doing a bit of research, he hails form Waycross, Georgia, in the sourtheast part of the state.  The population is about 14,000 with about 54% being black.  The median family income in Waycross is about 60% of the median family income in the state of Georgia.  That means there is a good chance at least that McKelvin grew up in poverty and a black culture.  He is to be commended for having arisen out of poverty, but his way of speaking probably does have a lot to do with his social circumstances growing up.  

There are southern Folks who have serious regional dialect.

Most people make fun of  "different" its true and we all are aware of it.
not the intent of the  OP i hope. and would be surprised if so.
 It took me awhile to get a clue what Leodis was saying. years actually.

I too miss him and his words. Sincere and sometimes hilarious. Big heart

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gil Byrd?

Donnie Henderson ?

i may be wrong of course. But that year Leodis learned to turn around on time and then become the receiver. Often beat his guys but struggled mightily to deflect the ball even when in position. 

I used to cringe when Anyone thew deep on him. you just knew we were screwed.

and then he got it. and then he was injured.

cruel fate.
keep hustlin aint no lie

Edited by 3rdand12

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Donnie Henderson ?

i may be wrong of course. But that year Leodis learned to turn around on time and then become the receiver. Often beat his guys but struggled mightily to deflect the ball even when in position. 

I used to cringe when Anyone thew deep on him. you just knew we were screwed.

and then he got it. and then he was injured.

cruel fate.
keep hustlin aint no lie

Not sure. It could be Henderson, I was just shooting. 

I thought Byrd had a stint here 5 years ago but last year was his first and only 

so yea prolly Donnie Henderson

Edited by Buffalo716

12 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thank goodness...I thought it was just me. I could never understand a word Leodis said. He sure seemed sincere when saying it though...whatever it was.

I think he and Lamar Jackson should have a debate about post WWII, the effects on middle America. 

10 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

There are southern Folks who have serious regional dialect.

Most people make fun of  "different" its true and we all are aware of it.
not the intent of the  OP i hope. and would be surprised if so.
 It took me awhile to get a clue what Leodis was saying. years actually.

I too miss him and his words. Sincere and sometimes hilarious. Big heart

I went to seminary in Kentucky and shared a dorm with a bunch of guys mostly from the south.  Somebody left some food out, and a fellow from South Alabama was horrified that we hadn't put in the refridgerator.  "Don't  y'all know it'll rurn? he said.  It took even the other guys from the south a while to figure out he meant "ruin" when he said "rurn."

Everybody kidded him mercilessly about that. 

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Wrong.  Please try again.

My apologies to all the edgelords in here making fun of something a guy can’t help but do, when it sounds an awful lot like making fun of something else he can’t help but be. 

"You can't go around telling people your problems, because 90% of the people don't care and the other 10% are glad you got them."

Lou Holtz

This sums up the general thinking in America these days, IMO. Telling other people that something is hurtful falls on deaf ears because they are hurting too and think you are just complaining. You would think that the fact that everyone has issues would create empathy between people but apparently it doesn't.

Edited by vincec

I think it's appalling that there are people saying that the OP posting this vid is racist.  That leap is absolute insanity!  Anyone that equates the posting of what was meant to be a humorous vid (whether you think it's funny or not) to racism needs some serious help.  This stuff is getting beyond ridiculous now.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think it would be fun to videotape Leodis going to various drive-thru windows to hear the reactions of those taking his orders.

Would be a great You Tube series.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I think it would be fun to videotape Leodis going to various drive-thru windows to hear the reactions of those taking his orders.

Would be a great You Tube series.

Sir can you please speak clearer into the box... I do not speak wakandan ?

5 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

My apologies to all the edgelords in here making fun of something a guy can’t help but do, when it sounds an awful lot like making fun of something else he can’t help but be. 

You may have not read this reply of mine.

23 hours ago, purple haze said:

I was born in Cheektowaga, moved to southeast Texas when I was twelve, graduated from HS there, moved back to West Seneca after military and college, moved back to Dallas 6 years later, and am now living in WA state.  I have heard many, many accents, slang terms, southern drawls, Pacific NW lingo, etc.  I happen to find Leodis' speech enjoyably amusing as I would Boomhauer, Foghorn Leghorn, or anyone else who sounds 'different' than how I speak.  Part of my amusement is deciphering his speech as it is a mix of southern accent, stutter, repetition, and fast speak.  I enjoy hearing him talk BECAUSE he sounds different.  His speech is the exact opposite of Ben Stein's character in the Ferris Bueller movie, which is painfully droll.  If anybody is still bothered about this topic being posted to begin with, might I suggest you get over yourself, or is that offensive to you (you as in everybody, not necessarily purple haze) as well?

So we are creating threads to make fun of current or former Bills players now? It’s sad that some people think it’s funny to make fun of others. 

I thought it was disgusting when people bullied and mocked Ellis Lankster, one of OUR Buffalo Bills, after his “I was like um” interview where he bravely stood in front of reporters and answered questions as best he could like a man despite knowing how he’d sound to ignorant judgemental and mean spirited bullies due to his speech impediment and years later you feel the need to make fun of a different Bill?

I’ll never understand this type of thinking. It’s not funny & trying to pretend this isn’t a mean spirited thread isn’t fooling anyone. This thread is trash. Oh and speech isn’t a definitive measure of intelligence. I felt the need to point that out. 

EDIT: I didn’t mention racism because I honestly didn’t think skin color or ethnicity had anything to do with it. Mean is mean though and whether in jest or not this thread wreaks.

Edited by SoCoBills

On 5/26/2018 at 11:28 AM, Logic said:

I agree that this thread is mean spirited and racist and should be locked.

You sir are being raciest by suggesting that because Leodis can't string a sentence together its because he is black.

On 5/26/2018 at 4:12 PM, TigerJ said:

Wow, what nonsense

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/26/2018 at 11:34 AM, Golden Goat said:

Racist? Really? Because two guys I find dumb as bricks just so happen to be black -- therefore I'm racist? I find Kiko Alonso and Terry Bradshaw stupid, too. 

You're the one who needs to grow the !@#$ up, snowflake.

Agree, terry Bradshaw is hilarious to hear speak. If he's getting paid to commentate. We have free will to make fun of him. Doesn't matter your race. Anybody in sports could be a horrible public speaker.

On 5/26/2018 at 11:34 AM, Golden Goat said:

Racist? Really? Because two guys I find dumb as bricks just so happen to be black -- therefore I'm racist? I find Kiko Alonso and Terry Bradshaw stupid, too. 

You're the one who needs to grow the !@#$ up, snowflake.

Agree, terry Bradshaw is hilarious to hear speak. If he's getting paid to commentate. We have free will to make fun of him. Doesn't matter your race. Anybody in sports could be a horrible public speaker.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

Thanks for the virtue signaling. You truly are an inspiration to SJW's everywhere.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoCoBills said:

So we are creating threads to make fun of current or former Bills players now? It’s sad that some people think it’s funny to make fun of others. 

I thought it was disgusting when people bullied and mocked Ellis Lankster, one of OUR Buffalo Bills, after his “I was like um” interview where he bravely stood in front of reporters and answered questions as best he could like a man despite knowing how he’d sound to ignorant judgemental and mean spirited bullies due to his speech impediment and years later you feel the need to make fun of a different Bill?

I’ll never understand this type of thinking. It’s not funny & trying to pretend this isn’t a mean spirited thread isn’t fooling anyone. This thread is trash. Oh and speech isn’t a definitive measure of intelligence. I felt the need to point that out. 

EDIT: I didn’t mention racism because I honestly didn’t think skin color or ethnicity had anything to do with it. Mean is mean though and whether in jest or not this thread wreaks.

I could agree with your statement but then we'd both be wrong.  You could be giving the same lecture to people about something different such as "I'll never understand why people drink.  It's not fun and ..." and you'd be wrong just the same.  Some members' comments here are inappropriate but then again, I could find some equally inappropriate ones on other threads that are merely discussing kickoffs.

My point is this thread is NOT trash but if you feel it is, then why do you waste your time reading them?  Again, I must point out that this video is currently found at buffalobills.com so maybe you should send them an e-mail and suggest they remove it from their archives as it is offensive to you.

Edited by Peace Frog

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I could agree with your statement but then we'd both be wrong.  You could be giving the same lecture to people about something different such as "I'll never understand why people drink.  It's not fun and ..." and you'd be wrong just the same.  Some members' comments here are inappropriate but then again, I could find some equally inappropriate ones on other threads that are merely discussing kickoffs.

My point is this thread is NOT trash but if you feel it is, then why do you waste your time reading them?  Again, I must point out that this video is currently found at buffalobills.com so maybe you should send them an e-mail and suggest they remove it from their archives as it is offensive to you.

You attempt to make an intelligent argument here but legit nothing you just said makes any logical sense. 

I’ll start with your drinking analogy - drinking is a choice that impacts only yourself.  You can choose to drink or choose to not. That’s cool. That doesn’t hurt anybody. Drinking in of itself isn’t inherently wrong - mocking someone else for the heck of it is. Now if you choose to drink and drive - well now that’s a really bad decision. 

Why did I read this thread if it’s trash? Well - this is a message board I enjoy so I choose to come here and read posts. That is why this board exists is it not? The title also didn’t make it clear it was going to be a thread created for the purpose of insulting the guy. Also - whether I read or not has no relevance on the fact that this thread was created for the sole purpose at having a laugh at Leodis McKelvins expense. 

As for this video being on the official Buffalo Bills website so why aren’t they taking it down if I find the video offensive?? What are you talking about? The video in of itself isn’t offensive. Leodis isn’t making fun of people based on how they look or talk. No - that is what this thread is doing. This thread is what is offensive. How are you not able to make this distinction?  I am honestly blown away by how righteous you seem to feel in your response when what you are saying makes absolutely zero sense?? 

Simply put - it is always wrong to mock another human being for any reason. Whether it be their speech, appearance, race, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, disability or anything else. This is a simple lesson. My 3 yr old could tell you that it isn’t nice to make fun of others. How are you even trying to argue this? 

Edited by SoCoBills