John Miller Fully Committed to Regaining Starting Role

3 minutes ago, transient said:

Second Bills former starting guard this week to be fully committed. Hope it doesn’t start a trend. 

...knew THIS was coming and wondered what the hell took you so long????...................

6 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

"John Miller fully committed to regain starting role"

.....and no doubt he's giving 110% effort, I'm sure too.

Nothing against Miller, but all this is lip service. That sports writers still run with it as a fresh scoop is so old and monotonous.

I know.  Why don’t they write about the guys who are not fully, but only partially committed?

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the only starter right now is Dawkins.  Everyone else is in competition. 

I'm pulling for Teller to beat out Ducasse.  I really, really like Teller.

Teller should have been drafted by Oak.  They could have the Penn and Teller show.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I had almost forgotten he existed. I swear he had a really good rookie year before disappearing.

Ducasse is playing LG. Based on the first week of OTAs the starting line is Dawkins, Ducasse, Bodine, Miller, Mills. Ideally I'd like Teller or Groy to win the LG spot before the season is over.

To me the ideal is having Teller at LG and Miller at RG (assuming we're going to a man blocking scheme). Groy at C be nice too yet with Bodine under contract for more years am a little more willing to have him start. 

8 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Teller should have been drafted by Oak.  They could have the Penn and Teller show.

HA! Except Penn's on his way out with the drafting of Miller. 

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

To me the ideal is having Teller at LG and Miller at RG (assuming we're going to a man blocking scheme). Groy at C be nice too yet with Bodine under contract for more years am a little more willing to have him start. 

Maybe we can sign him.

I think people asking about Groy not starting are missing the point.   I've heard McD talk about how valuable he is because he can play multiple positions.   But that doesn't mean he shouldn't start.   

You're going to have a center and a backup center.   If Groy starts, then Bodine can be the backup.   If a guard goes down, Groy can move over and Bodine comes in.   That's pretty simple, and I'm sure McDermott understands it. 

No, it makes much sense to conclude that Groy isn't starting because the coaches think the guys they have starting are better.   Plain and simple.   

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

If Groy and Bodine grade evenly under the New Coaches .   Who do you start at center ?
Flexibility and the ability to play teams comes into the equation i might guess 

Edited by 3rdand12

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I had almost forgotten he existed. I swear he had a really good rookie year before disappearing.

Ducasse is playing LG. Based on the first week of OTAs the starting line is Dawkins, Ducasse, Bodine, Miller, Mills. Ideally I'd like Teller or Groy to win the LG spot before the season is over.

That OL isn't going to scare anybody. At least not any opponents. Four borderline starters out of five.

Edited by vincec

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Why?

I just want the best 5 OL for the new system starting & playing? Names doesn't matter...

Edited by pimp on da' net
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, pimp on da' net said:

Why?

I just want the best 5 OL for the new system starting & playing? Names doesn't matter...

Agree 100% but it would be nice if they all played good and Teller won the spot since we own him cheep for a few years.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

If Groy and Bodine grade evenly under the New Coaches .   Who do you start at center ?

It would seem to me that if Groy does not start on the OL in his contract year he probably will want to move on.

He did sign with LA in 2017 and the Bill's matched.  Doesn't answer your question, just throwing that out there.

9 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Bodine since we know Groy can also man the guard spot as needed. Toss in Bodine has a history with AJ.

15 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Good to hear. I’m expecting a down year based on the schedule and roster turnover but guys like Miller and Shaq could change that.

I expected the same thing for the same reasons last year after losing Gilmore, Watkins, Woods, Darby, Graham, Mario W., Goodwin, and Z. Brown.  Plus, we had the 4th toughest schedule on paper to start the year.  I'm still trying to figure out how the hell we made the playoffs.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I expected the same thing for the same reasons last year after losing Gilmore, Watkins, Woods, Darby, Graham, Mario W., Goodwin, and Z. Brown.  Plus, we had the 4th toughest schedule on paper to start the year.  I'm still trying to figure out how the hell we made the playoffs.

"The process"

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Pure luck.

• Like (+1) 1

We aren't starting a bunch of rookies.  All of our linemen have starting experience at the NFL level and four of them started for our offensive line which was the 6th best rushing attack in 2017 and 1st in 2016.  I may be wrong but I think this group is gonna be fine.  Like the additions of Teller and the Cincinnati Center.  Hopefully the pass protection improves through some added play action plays.

Benched and humbled, Buffalo Bills guard John Miller went back to his roots to get ready for 2018

Miller won the job coming out of training camp, but the Bills kept the competition with Vladimir Ducasse open as the regular season started. Four games into his third season, Miller was benched for the first time in his professional career, and never saw the field again in 2017.

From such a bright standing not even a year prior, he learned first hand of the harsh reality that exists inside professional football -- nothing is guaranteed.

"It was on me. I kind of let myself down in a way. Unfortunately, with that, I kind of feel like I let the team down as well," Miller said Thursday. "I lost the job. I own up to that, and I take full responsibility for that."

In response to such a stark experience, Miller's fight or flight instincts kicked in -- and he did the one thing he knew could re-center him entering the fourth and final year of his rookie contract with the Bills.

He went home to Miami, Florida to be with his family. He went back to his roots. And most importantly, he got back to being himself again.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:03 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if it was not the scheme, can anybody shed some light how the kid went from the penthouse to outhouse overnight based on this assessment??.............

By: Stephen Culley | February 28, 2017 : BILLSWIRE/PFF

When the Buffalo Bills selected offensive guard John Miller in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft, they felt that they had acquired a player that could be an early starter and should develop into a very good one. After a tough rookie season that saw Miller plagued with an ankle issue and struggling to deal with the death of his mother, Miller started to blossom into what the organization hoped he could during his sophomore season in the NFL.

That progression has been noticed by the analysts at Pro Football Focus, naming Miller as the most-improved second-year player in the NFL by their grading system.

Pah! That Stephen Culley knows nothing....

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/26/2018 at 6:11 AM, joevan said:

We aren't starting a bunch of rookies.  All of our linemen have starting experience at the NFL level and four of them started for our offensive line which was the 6th best rushing attack in 2017 and 1st in 2016.  I may be wrong but I think this group is gonna be fine.  Like the additions of Teller and the Cincinnati Center.  Hopefully the pass protection improves through some added play action plays.

This!

• Thank you (+1) 1