RUMOR - Agent claims NE wanted Mayfield at #2

Just now, GG said:

Can somebody please translate the OP?

Mayfield’s agent went on the air with Andrew Brandt and stated that the Patriots contacted him before the draft about moving and taking Baker with the second overall pick. 

Albert Breer confirmed that he also heard the Pats were wanting that scenario to play out.

I shared this because we rarely get to laugh at NE and them missing out on a QB is good news for Bills fans. 

Sorry about the jumbled original post, I was typing while listening

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Mayfield’s agent went on the air with Andrew Brandt and stated that the Patriots contacted him before the draft about moving and taking Baker with the second overall pick. 

Albert Breer confirmed that he also heard the Pats were wanting that scenario to play out.

I shared this because we rarely get to laugh at NE and them missing out on a QB is good news for Bills fans. 

Sorry about the jumbled original post, I was typing while listening

I believe that Belichick talked to the agent.  Doesn't mean he was actually going to do it.  Or that the Giants were going to trade out of 2. 

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Talking to Andrew Brandt, the Patriots told us he is in for a big surprise if he doesn’t go number one. Breer’s response, so this can be told now. Seems to confirm what the Agent said.

Pretty crazy stuff. Makes me even happier that the Browns took him.

The thing about it is Mayfield was every teams QB1. It's pretty arrogant of the Pats and Pats people to simply say "we were going to go get him".. First they didn't have the horsepower we did. They could at best drive up the price but ultimately could not outbid us for him.  

Period

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Don’t buy it... maybe 2nd round lol

Cant see the Patriots trading to #2. They didn’t have that much capital 

Dave Gettleman: "People call you and they want the second pick of the draft for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog," Gettleman explained during his press conference. "Leave me alone. I don't have time to screw around."

Patriots may have wanted to go to #2 but I don't think the Giants were gonna budge for the donuts, pretzel, and hot dog they had on offer. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean Gettleman said he wasn’t moving.

If Gronk was a part maybe but he wasn’t moving from 31 and the high 20s to #2 only with picks

thats not enough capital 

Oh, I didn't think of that.  Yeah, if the Pats started chucking in players, maybe.  Gronk, Gilmore, bag of donuts, hot pretzel, and two hotdogs?

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Talking to Andrew Brandt, the Patriots told us he is in for a big surprise if he doesn’t go number one. Breer’s response, so this can be told now. Seems to confirm what the Agent said.

Pretty crazy stuff. Makes me even happier that the Browns took him.

Considering Gettleman said he never at any moment considered trading down and the #2 pick was not available makes this story seem off base.

Looks like the Pats told his agent this in order to schedule a visit. 

I had surmised a few weeks ago that the Bills did the same to get the late stage private workout with Darnold 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to RUMOR - Agent claims NE wanted Mayfield at #2
6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Considering Gettleman said he never at any moment considered trading down and the #2 pick was not available makes this story seem off base.

I’m not certain what the cost would have been but if Gettleman wasn’t moving off from a running back at #2 overall he is headed straight to the GrigsonMillenWhaley Hall of Horrible. 

Naturally, this is all Baker Mayfield's agent talking...

No way the Patriots were after Mayfield in that #2 spot unless they were willing to give up their 2019 first perhaps or the Bills would have made a deal. Mayfield just didn't grade that high. Even then I don't buy the  Mayfield stuff of him being sought after by the Patriots. Mostly because of the kid's personality wouldn't fit in with Bill Belichick at all. Ole Bill doesn't like crotch grabbers. 

Then the Giants weren't going give up that #2 spot just like the Broncos were waiting to see who fell to them at the #5 pick and it was Chubb so no way they trade out. Same with the Colts and taking Quinton Nelson. 

Buffalo made the earliest deal they could with TB and they overpaid considering the values. But then we don't know who else was after Josh Allen, we have an idea it was Arizona and it could have been both Miami and New England too would be my guess. Then looking how little the Cards gave up for Rosen leads me to think nobody else wanted the guy. 

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This!

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Looks like the Pats told his agent this in order to schedule a visit. 

I had surmised a few weeks ago that the Bills did the same to get the late stage private workout with Darnold 

The Patriots are known for bringing in QBs they have no intention of drafting to get inside their mind.  It gives them information and helps them in game planning.  I'll try to dig up the article.  This makes sense then when the smoke was there for Mayfield at 3 to the Jets.  Hopefully the Bills did likewise as you stated with Darnold.  One of those tricks that the Patriots* use to get a leg up and it is a pretty good one imo.

• Like (+1) 1

It's bad enough when the national media acts like the Patriots are magicians who can pull off anything they want. Why do Bills fans fall for the same trick? There was zero chance the Pats would end up with a top 5 pick in this draft. Zero.

• Like (+1) 1

NE wanted Mayfield?  Yeah, I want a lot of stuff too but neither of us are getting what we want.

For this to have any chance of happening I'd expect there would need to have been a conditional deal in place between the Giants and Patriots.  If Mayfield is there at 2 then the Giants would trade the pick to the Patriots for some combination of picks/players.  If he's not there at 2 then the deal is off.  Per Gettleman there was no deal with anyone so either he is lying or the agent's story is a product of his imagination.

For example, Beane said he had a conditional deal in place with the Broncos but when Chubb fell to #5 Elway pulled out of the arrangement.   Then Beane made the deal with Tampa Bay.  NE/NYG had no such arrangement.

So logically the story is bogus and to add to my amusement the Giants selected the QB everybody said NE was in love with so I patently await the day Brady is gone and they go down in flames at 2-14 some season in the near future. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dave Gettleman: "People call you and they want the second pick of the draft for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog," Gettleman explained during his press conference. "Leave me alone. I don't have time to screw around."

Patriots may have wanted to go to #2 but I don't think the Giants were gonna budge for the donuts, pretzel, and hot dog they had on offer. 

Oh, I didn't think of that.  Yeah, if the Pats started chucking in players, maybe.  Gronk, Gilmore, bag of donuts, hot pretzel, and two hotdogs?

I think a few players + cracker jacks + hot pretzel and 3 hot dogs gets her done ?