RD 7 - Austin Proehl WR NC

GG

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are talking about him on Golic & Wingo right now. They are sending him gifts because he’s their “Mr. Irrelevant”. They said Trey Quinn is actually relevant now that he’s “Mr Irrelevant” and gets a rolex, etc. So they said Proehl is the real irrelevant as the penultimate pick in the draft. 

Couldn't Bills trade down 1 pick :D

On 4/28/2018 at 6:02 PM, Jpsredemption said:

I posted my mock. 

Dude, I don´t know what you want to redeem about, but looking at your atrocious posts, I don't want to be anywhere near to any mock draft you draw !:wub:

• SDS unpinned this topic
On 4/30/2018 at 7:16 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Matt Stafford was under 60% as a passer in college also

Add 1.3 completions per game to Allen’s stats to compensate for drops and his completion % rises to a respectable 62.8%

thats only 1.3 completions per game... it’s like he needed 100 completions to reach 60%

he was 1 completion a game off. While running for his life in a pro style offense

he was my #4 QB but he can easily become a superstar 

God Bless You, my son.  I don't want to rain on your parade, but you sound uncanny like me a few years back. 

The year was 2010.  Chan Gailey was Head Coach. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick took over from Trentative Edwards and finished the season with 57.8% completions, 3000 yds, 23 TD, and 15 INT

I swear to God, I made a post JUST LIKE THIS where I argued that only 1.3 completions per game added to Fitzpatrick's total would bring him up over 60%.

Relative to the other QB we'd seen recently, he had such promise.  He only needed a few more completions and a few less INTs.  Ah, the memories.

I believed that at the time. Oh, the beatings I took!  The insults that were aimed at me!  And 2 seasons later, the Crow Pie was served warm, with a well-seasoned gravy and the meat flaking gently off the bone.

God Bless You, and bring you, and me, and every one of us to a different conclusion some years down the road.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

God Bless You, my son.  I don't want to rain on your parade, but you sound uncanny like me a few years back. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick took over from Trentative Edwards and finished the season with 57.8% completions, 3000 yds, 23 TD, and 15 INT

I swear to God, I made a post JUST LIKE THIS where I argued that only 1.3 completions per game added to Fitzpatrick's total would bring him up over 60%.

Relative to the other QB we'd seen recently, he had such promise.  He only needed a few more completions and a few less INTs.  Ah, the memories.

I believed that at the time. Oh, the beatings I took!  The insults that were aimed at me!  And 2 seasons later, the Crow Pie was served warm, with a well-seasoned gravy and the meat flaking gently off the bone.

God Bless You, and bring you, and me, and every one of us to a different conclusion some years down the road.

May this be the last time Ryan Fitzgibbons' and Josh Allen's careers are ever compared to one other, unless the gist of the comparison is "they are nothing alike."

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I may be accused of being a “homer” 

maybe my pre draft evaluations are only valid...

who knows... I’m definitely Bills biased and can spin a positive any way ?

Before the draft I was heavily critical of Allen even though I was aware of his special potential. I don’t think I’ve said 1 bad word about him since we drafted him

i back all our players like that

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep and if Allen had all of the other traits of Fitzy, he would have been drafted in the 7th round as well. Fortunately, Allen is .1 sec. faster, 3 inches taller, can throw the ball farther and harder than any other human that has ever been drafted. Completion Percentage maybe the one comparable at this point but it's certainly the only one.

But since this is the Austin Proehl thread and me living in NC and watching a ton of the kid, IMO I could safely assume if Austin Proel played for the Wyoming Cowboys, Josh Allen would have a completion percentage well over his 56.6%. I think he makes the squad.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I may be accused of being a “homer” 

maybe my pre draft evaluations are only valid...

who knows... I’m definitely Bills biased and can spin a positive any way ?

Before the draft I was heavily critical of Allen even though I was aware of his special potential. I don’t think I’ve said 1 bad word about him since we drafted him

i back all our players like that

I know, I know, Good on Ya......it was just a shot to my heart, because swear to God I once made a post that was eerie, it was so like that.

I so badly at the time, wanted to be right then, and I so badly want you to be right now!!!!

2 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Yep and if Allen had all of the other traits of Fitzy, he would have been drafted in the 7th round as well.

I was not trying to compare Allen and Fitzy.   Sorry for the confusion, but there's really no need to bring him in there and seriously expound upon difference in talents and draft round and so forth.

The point was comparing a post I once made, making almost exactly the same calculations with exactly the same conclusions about how just a pass or two would bump his completion percentage up.

I was having a TBD "acid flashback" or something.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know, I know, Good on Ya......it was just a shot to my heart, because swear to God I once made a post that was eerie, it was so like that.

I so badly at the time, wanted to be right then, and I so badly want you to be right now!!!!

If it’s any consolation Fitz really isn’t a bad QB. He a 10 year veteran who has been a starter.

coming from a 7th round pick out of Harvard... Peterman will never come close to the QB Fitz was

He did the best he could with his physical limitations 

Good article today in the Buffalo News - behind the paywall-about Austin and Ricky Proehl.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/12/inside-the-bills/

Here is a Ricky Proehl quote from the article, that I really enjoyed seeing....

Ricky would have been happy with his son joining any team, but admits it’s much sweeter that it’s the Bills who called.

"I knew Sean would be a head coach,” Ricky Proehl said. “He gets it. He understands players, he understands how to put people in position to be successful. Guys respect him. They love playing for him. He and Brandon are creating a culture that's conducive to winning, so when your son has a chance to play for that kind of coach and that kind of management, it's exciting.”

• Thank you (+1) 3

I think Proehl has some talent. I think he has a decent chance to make the team. 

That said, what I don’t think is going to happen is Ray Ray, selected ahead of him, Proehl, and zay all making the 53. 

I think they are going to use Ray Ray as a Wr, RB, gadget guy, but I don’t think 6 wr are going to have 3 slot guys which is pretty much what McCloud, Proehl and Zay are. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think Proehl has some talent. I think he has a decent chance to make the team. 

That said, what I don’t think is going to happen is Ray Ray, selected ahead of him, Proehl, and zay all making the 53. 

I think they are going to use Ray Ray as a Wr, RB, gadget guy, but I don’t think 6 wr are going to have 3 slot guys which is pretty much what McCloud, Proehl and Zay are. 

Good observation Kelly.  Kerley is also more of a slot.    I keep looking at Patriots plays.  There are lots of plays where 2 guys considered traditional slots are on the field at the same time...Amendola and Edelman for example.   This one is a trick play but that formation is fairly common with a traditional slot guy on the outside.  On this play, Gronk is essentially pass protection, but I wonder if Daboll is loading up on slots to run "picks", screens and other easy throw plays....

7 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Good observation Kelly.  Kerley is also more of a slot.    I keep looking at Patriots plays.  There are lots of plays where 2 guys considered traditional slots are on the field at the same time...Amendola and Edelman for example.   This one is a trick play but that formation is fairly common with a traditional slot guy on the outside.  On this play, Gronk is essentially pass protection, but I wonder if Daboll is loading up on slots to run "picks", screens and other easy throw plays....

Yep. I didn’t forget about Kerley but you’re right I should have mentioned him. To me, only Benjamin and Zay are locks to make the team. The third most likely guy would be Kerley. He used to be pretty damn good. Now not so much but decent. Compared to the rest of the league our WR are terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WMDman said:

I think Proehl makes the 53 and RayRay takes the T. Jones spot

There are three spots. Last year it was Shady, Tolbert and either Cadet or Taiwan. Cadet is back. Tolbert has been replaced by Ivory. If Ray takes the #3 RB spot he has to be a RB the majority of the time. I doubt they do that. To me it’s much more likely he’s the #6 wr who they line up at RB a lot and throw him passes out of the backfield, put him in motion, run jet sweeps, give him pitchouts once in a while. I like that idea. But it’s not the #3 rb spot. If Shady is hurt you don’t want Ivory or Ray Ray as your starting RB

38 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Fortunately or unfortunately, I believe the plan is to use Zay on the outside. I’m pretty sure I remember McD saying that.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Fortunately or unfortunately, I believe the plan is to use Zay on the outside. I’m pretty sure I remember McD saying that.

He’s no good at it though. ;) he’s terrible tracking the ball 20 yards downfield. He made 90% of his catches in college as the equivalent of the slot guy. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There are three spots. Last year it was Shady, Tolbert and either Cadet or Taiwan. Cadet is back. Tolbert has been replaced by Ivory. If Ray takes the #3 RB spot he has to be a RB the majority of the time. I doubt they do that. To me it’s much more likely he’s the #6 wr who they line up at RB a lot and throw him passes out of the backfield, put him in motion, run jet sweeps, give him pitchouts once in a while. I like that idea. But it’s not the #3 rb spot. If Shady is hurt you don’t want Ivory or Ray Ray as your starting RB

Im not saying they list him as a RB, I just think he takes over for Taiwan on STs, catching out of the backfield etc. I have a gut feeling that they keep KB13, Zay, Kerley, Streater, Ray, Proehl and Clay

Just now, WMDman said:

Im not saying they list him as a RB, I just think he takes over for Taiwan on STs, catching out of the backfield etc. I have a gut feeling that they keep KB13, Zay, Kerley, Streater, Ray, Proehl and Clay

I could see that. But it would be, in that scenario, someone like Banyard or Cadet taking over the Taiwan role, which is the #3 Rb and still a need in your scenario. 

29 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He’s no good at it though. ;) he’s terrible tracking the ball 20 yards downfield. He made 90% of his catches in college as the equivalent of the slot guy. 

That’s why I said “unfortunately”... they don’t have much choice with who they have right now unless someone emerges who can separate downfield.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. I didn’t forget about Kerley but you’re right I should have mentioned him. To me, only Benjamin and Zay are locks to make the team. The third most likely guy would be Kerley. He used to be pretty damn good. Now not so much but decent. Compared to the rest of the league our WR are terrible. 

I don't think Zay is a lock.    They wouldn't have to cut him because someone would trade *something* for him........but I could definitely see him being traded before or early in camp.   A suspension wouldn't surprise either.     KB is the only lock.   Hard to see them extending KB long term for a number of reasons.......including the fact that he will be 28 when he hits FA.  So some of these scrub-pedigree WR they've assembled really need to blossom for this season and beyond.

49 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think Zay is a lock.    They wouldn't have to cut him because someone would trade *something* for him........but I could definitely see him being traded before or early in camp.   A suspension wouldn't surprise either.     KB is the only lock.   Hard to see them extending KB long term for a number of reasons.......including the fact that he will be 28 when he hits FA.  So some of these scrub-pedigree WR they've assembled really need to blossom for this season and beyond.

I think perhaps lock means they aren’t going to cut him. No one is a lock if you include trades. But I doubt we would trade him either because I doubt we could get anything whatsoever for him. A guy who dropped everything who had a bizarre psychological incident in the off season is not hot on any team’s list of priorities. ;)

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think perhaps lock means they aren’t going to cut him. No one is a lock if you include trades. But I doubt we would trade him either because I doubt we could get anything whatsoever for him. A guy who dropped everything who had a bizarre psychological incident in the off season is not hot on any team’s list of priorities. ;)

Yeah I certainly don't think they will cut him.

Not sure where he fits with this offense though either.

That draft is so recent that someone that was enamored with him might trade a 4th.

No doubt Daboll is loading up on slot WRs to add formation flexibility similar to what NE does.

Frankly I don't see where a guy like Zay fits into that regime and it wouldn't shock me if he's dealt for a 5th or 6th in August.  If he does manage to stick around for the final 53 and gets out-produced this season by Mr. Almost Irrelevant, he'll be cut outright after 2018 concludes.

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No doubt Daboll is loading up on slot WRs to add formation flexibility similar to what NE does.

Frankly I don't see where a guy like Zay fits into that regime and it wouldn't shock me if he's dealt for a 5th or 6th in August.  If he does manage to stick around for the final 53 and gets out-produced this season by Mr. Almost Irrelevant, he'll be cut outright after 2018 concludes.

well Zay is a slot reciever....

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Even though they did draft two slot guys (granted in sixth and seventh round) it’s impossible to believe these three things simultaneously: 1) Beane bet his job on moving up and taking Josh Allen. 2) Brian Daboll built an offense specifically for Josh Allen. 3) That offense is built around a lot of quick short passes to slot receivers like NE. 

36 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Who is going to give up any pick for him?

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Even though they did draft two slot guys (granted in sixth and seventh round) it’s impossible to believe these three things simultaneously: 1) Beane bet his job on moving up and taking Josh Allen. 2) Brian Daboll built an offense specifically for Josh Allen. 3) That offense is built around a lot of quick short passes to slot receivers like NE. 

I agree - I don't buy (2).  I've heard it just like we all have, and it sounds like B.S. to me.  Daboll may have built a PLAN for Josh Allen but not an offense.  If you're building an offense for Josh Allen you add some vertical threats and three or four 6'6'' WRs and TEs (established, uninjured ones).

Edited by Coach Tuesday

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I agree - I don't buy (2).  I've heard it just like we all have, and it sounds like B.S. to me.  Daboll may have built a PLAN for Josh Allen but not an offense.  If you're building an offense for Josh Allen you add some vertical threats and three or four 6'6'' WRs and TEs (established, uninjured ones).

All offenses have 50+ short pass plays, 50+ medium pass plays and 50+ deep pass plays written into them. It's just a matter of which pass plays they concentrate on and practice a lot and tweak to work toward players strengths. In that respect plan = build. There was also a statement by Beane that during the draft he had difficulty telling Daboll why they were taking all these defensive players in 2-3-4-5 when he wanted offensive guys obviously. So Daboll is not picking players. In fact, the ONLY player we know Daboll did have influence on was big deep threat speedster Robert Foster.  

19 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Can't see the Bills trading away a 2nd rounder that the new regime hand picked just a year ago.... If Whaley picked him they'd have no problems shipping him out. 

They had no issues cutting coaches new regime hand picked just a year ago.  Is the difference the cap and McD does not care about wasting Pegulas' money?