Day 3 of draft rounds 4-7 let’s talk

Just now, TOboy said:

Don’t know much about this guy...slot CB?

Seems to be.

Taron (tear-on) Johnson was not a highly-recruited athlete by FBS schools, even as an All-Metro receiver from Sacramento. Wildcat coaches found out quickly that they had something when they moved him to cornerback for his true freshman season. He played in all 12 games that year, starting five and finishing with 31 tackles, an interception and nine pass breakups. The following year, other Big Sky coaches recognized his skills (44 stops, 11 starts, two interceptions, 12 pass breakups) with honorable mention all-conference notice. Johnson was a second-team All-Big Sky pick as a junior, starting all 12 games, posting 48 tackles, five for loss, and a conference-best 12 pass breakups. The former receiver stepped up his defensive game as a senior, earning first-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-Big Sky status by posting 49 tackles, three for loss, two sacks, three interceptions, and a team-high nine pass breakups.
Analysis

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Rounds 5-6
NFL Comparison
Bryce Callahan
Overview
Johnson's lack of size will drive him into a nickel role where he appears to have the foot quickness and cover talent to handle the job. He has to prove that he can play with confidence in his technique rather than grabbing during the route and his draft stock could be hinging on his 40-yard dash time at the Combine. He could find an early role as a CB4 before eventually filling the nickel spot.
Strengths
  • Plays with good bend in space
  • Has experience in most coverages and techniques
  • Burst to ball is quick
  • Early accelerator when transitioning in man coverage
  • Possesses natural coverage skills
  • Quality plant and drive talent from backpedal
  • Looks to lean on receivers and smother them from press
  • Crowds receiver's catch space downfield
  • Extremely aware in zone
  • Looks to squeeze windows and challenge the throw
  • Finished with 42 career passes broken up
  • Plays with good physicality and isn't afraid to tackle
Weaknesses
  • Smallish build is maxed out
  • Too small for the outside
  • Gets grabby in coverage and may take time to adjust to NFL refs
  • Needs to be careful not to lose downfield positioning and allow receiver a patch back to the ball
  • Long speed is a concern
  • Quicker than fast and may not be able to carry vertical threats
  • Late getting off perimeter blocks
  • Physical, but will miss some tackles due to his size
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Do you think that they failed to check the internet draft rankings and foolishly used their own?

Dude.....even the guys like Mayock are saying it was a reach.  Not just us. 

They are drafting for their system, which is fine.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Wow! The pick is good but we have need on the offensive side of the ball. This is what happens when you have a defensive minded HC. Oh well I guess we have to trust this front office. 

They are making the defense for this year because they know our offense will be a work in progress over the next few years as Allen learns.  Defense kept us in games last year and they want to keep that going into next year.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought is tradition that when a team drafted their new Quarterback they would take care of him with following pick with a Receiving Threat or Protection on the O-Line.

Like last year this is a McDermott Draft.  

Hoping the defense can keep us games, but from whence are more than 3 points coming.  The OL, it seems to me from where I am, is a total weak link.

Just now, CNYfan said:

I thought is tradition that when a team drafted their new Quarterback they would take care of him with following pick with a Receiving Threat or Protection on the O-Line.

Like last year this is a McDermott Draft.  

Hoping the defense can keep us games, but from whence are more than 3 points coming.  The OL, it seems to me from where I am, is a total weak link.

AJ is human sacrifice

Mike RennerVerified account @PFF_Mike Mar 8

The quality starters drafted R5 in past 5 drafts Desmond King Jordan Howard Tyreek Hill Matt Ionnidis Grady Jarrett Jay Ajayi Stefon Diggs Telvin Smith Corey Linsley Micah Hyde Kenny Stills Ricky Wagner ~7% hit rate. If a team offers a quality starter for a 5th you say hell yes

4 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Wow! The pick is good but we have need on the offensive side of the ball. This is what happens when you have a defensive minded HC. Oh well I guess we have to trust this front office. 

Immediate help usually doesn't come from rounds 4-7. Have to get lucky.