RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

7 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Whoa a guy on WGR said that?  Well s**t, that changes everything!

It wasn't just a random caller it was a draft analyst. 

And then we can go down the rabbit hole of people getting paid to do it, so they must be right.

But oh yeah, you're a dude who moved to Denver and decided to become a Wyoming fan. Who the !@#$ does that?

I forgot you're the end all be all expert on Josh Allen. If he sucks, you better own that ****.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

35 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So still conjecture and no proof. Got it. 

And allen has had to answer questions proving he isnt a racist homophobe. Wow (AND NO I DONT CARE ABOUT HIS TWEETs)

but he is the Bills QB. So gets 20-26 starts to prove what i think about him wrong

You were warming up to Allen before the draft bobby

yea I know yu were a Rosen guy I was too but there was a reason why you did thatu

Guy has a quick release, strong arm, makes quick decisions that get him in trouble.  Receivers he had this year stink.  That being said, he is gonna need some time to develop.  Hopefully he does.  Kid can through the ball outside... He is definitely raw and has way too much happy feet.  Again its all potential...  Hope the Bills didn't give up too much to get him and the linebacker, who knows at this point about any of these guys.

12 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I did some research on the accuracy issue with Allen and it was mostly because he wasn't setting his feet properly. He knows his footwork was a mess last season and he has been diligently working on that since the end of college. He has improved since then and it showed in the senior bowl, the combine and at his pro day. 

Another thing Bills fans need to understand is he only played TWO seasons at Wyoming so there is room/time for him to further develop his accuracy. I think what Aikman was referring to is players like Kyle Boller who never really improved that much in the NFL.

There is also a huge difference between Boller and Allen. Boller played four years at Cal and his Comp percentage was 38.6, second year, 46.7, third-year 49.3 and his senior year 53.4. Allen was only a two year player at Wyoming and his first year his completion percentage was 56.0 and his senior year was 56.3 which really isn't that far from 60%,

Anyway, there were real reasons as to why his Comp % didn't go up and one is that every football player at Wyoming that touched the ball in 2016 besides Allen was gone for the 2017 season. So, the kid was forced to deal with a team filled with noobs, on the O line, the receiver corps and they did drop a lot of balls. Not to mention they were all learning how to run routes. So, when he wasn't running for his life he was making plays with his arm. 

Another thing is that Josh Allen played in a pro-style offense that wasn't QB friendly as he was throwing deep outs vs the screens and short passes that Rosen and Mayfield threw to make their stats look so much better.

Yeah Fitzy would regularly go 20/26 and still suck.Aallen looked like he was running for his life half the time.And I saw little separation from his WRs

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You were warming up to Allen before the draft bobby

yea I know yu were a Rosen guy I was too but there was a reason why you did thatu

I was. I liked Allen as the top QB in the draft this time last year. But then this past year happend. And made me question his tape that made him my too QB. So i got to go back and look at this years specially after he self scouted and said most of his accuracy problems where with his base (that can be fixed). I just want to see it for myself. 

But doesnt matter whichever QB Bills were gonna draft they were gonna get 20-26 starts from me before I either started championing them or flaming them. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Tcali said:

.Allen looked like he was running for his life half the time

This was a problem for me as well.   And I'll have to think about how that experiece is a good training ground for reading NFL defenses.   Half his plays were break down scrambles.   I saw very little timing/scheme, just a lot of "hair on fire" throw it and hope.     

I loved Rosen because a saw bits and pieces of Brady and Rogers in his game.    Looking off the safeties, using pump fakes, throwing guys open, putting the ball in the perfect place where only the WR can get it.   That's the NFL game.    Throwing 100mph fastballs on checkdowns, thinking a cross body, off balance throw will work against NFL dbs, and running around like a chicken--not so much...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I wasn't very high on Rosen, I think he will play for 4-5 teams over his career. Did you see the smug comments Rosen made after the draft? The guy was poisonous and not the kind of guy you want in your locker room. Give me the 6'5 240lbs QB with the golden arm and humble personality, the accuracy issues will get worked out.

When have accuracy issues ever been worked out? Ever? 

I'm not asking when completion percentage has increased. Matt Ryan's ball placement was obvious in college.

Josh's is the worst I've seen in years. 

I am going to root hard for the kid, but the pick does not make sense or taste good.

3 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Not much research? Is that a joke?

You think Beane just half assed this decision?

Yup... I do... Beane-dip saw a big kid with a big arm, and said "That's my guy"....  Only the Bills would first-round a wildly inaccurate QB from a junk conference he couldn't even dominate!

I don't believe anyone was eyeing Allen... He was good at #12

Edited by #34fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I was. I liked Allen as the top QB in the draft this time last year. But then this past year happend. And mad me question his tape last year. So i got to go back and look at this years specially after he self scouted and said most of his accuracy problems where with his base (that can be fixed). I just want to see it for myself. 

But doesnt matter whichever QB Bills were gonna draft they were gonna get 20-26 starts from me before I either started championing them or flaming them. 

That is fair enough

i am gonna commend Beane on how he has Handled the draft sitting tight and not giving away that first to take a QB sooner after Donald was drafted took balls then he turns that next first round pick in to Edmunds who is a flight out feastHandled the draft sitting tight and not giving away that first to take a QB sooner after Donald was drafted took balls then he turns that next first round pick in to Edmunds who is a flight out feast

1 minute ago, #34fan said:

Yup... I do... Beane-dip saw a big kid with a big arm, and said "That's my guy"....  Only the Bills would first-round a wildly inaccurate QB from a junk conference he couldn't even dominate!

You have absolutely no idea if that’s true

Seriously... and we've all established I have terrible taste in QBs. 

I liked Edwards and thought he could have been a legit Franchise QB for waaaaaayyyyy too long...

I liked Fitz and thought he could have been our long term answer at QB for waaaaaayyyy too long...

I liked Manuel and thought he had a chance to be a legit Franchise QB for waaaaaayyyyy too long...

I liked Taylor and thought he could have been a legit Franchise QB for waaaaaayyyyy too long...

Well, let me ease all of your minds right now because I seriously loathed this pick the moment Goodell said "Allen" rather than "Rosen."  I threw my phone... seriously.  Luckily, I have a flip phone and those things are TANKS!!! 

But I've been harping on Allen all offseason as to why he'd be a bust and why we shouldn't draft him. 

His tweets that surfaced in the last 24 hours made me dislike him even more.  I saw the Buffalo trade up to #7 and soooOOOOOooooo expected it to be Rosen.

It wasn't.  I was massively wrong. And here was my reaction the moment it happened 

tenor.gif?itemid=5651055

Some of you know I generally loathe memes/GIFs... had to make an exception here.

(and in that same spirit, when I saw the Browns draft Mayfield at #1, I really kinda thought Darnold would fall to #4, so when the Jets drafted him...tenor.gif?itemid=5002226)

Anyway, I have a history of being massively wrong about my overall like of QBs in a Buffalo Bills uniform. 

I will grow to like Allen because I'm a Bills fan and am purely a fan of my team, secondarily the players on my team.

So everyone, take solace.  I'm super sick about us drafting Allen today...  he's going to be AWESOME for us  :thumbsup:

although... I gotta say that all I've been doing since seeing we drafted him was looking at whatever I could find on YouTube... there's the obvious stuff about the tweets, which were offensive, but when seeing the entire background of what was said, the source of what was said, and when it happened, it seems forgivable... almost something that's a little ridiculous.

And then I ran into some just background stuff... this one caught my attention 

It's worth a watch. The kid himself is driven and is going to have a chip on his shoulder for the rest of his life, most likely. Talk about a late bloomer... guess the main reasons he wasn't recruited was that he played somewhere no one from college really recruited and he was considered "small" up at least til his Junior year in HS. So he's been working his @$$ off ever since.

Other clips out there are making me at least start to come around, too...

OH CRAP!!!! I jinxed him already!!!! :huh:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Sounds like you just drank the Kool aid for all of the past Bills QB's.

I was an Allen detractor as well, but he's the guy, now. Have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has an elite style body and skills. I just hope he can learn the finer things like touch, accuracy, and decision making.

I must say I was impressed by his high wonderlic score and some of his other off-season work.

Edited by MJS
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, arcane said:

When have accuracy issues ever been worked out? Ever? 

I'm not asking when completion percentage has increased. Matt Ryan's ball placement was obvious in college.

Josh's is the worst I've seen in years. 

I am going to root hard for the kid, but the pick does not make sense or taste good.

Yes accuracy can be improved greatly. It depends on WHAT specifically is causing the poor ball placement. 

Touch - Can be addressed

Base - can be addressed 

Throwing Motion - This is harder to address 

Eye to arm Processing speed - Nope cannot be

So really the two parts that can be addressed to improve accuracy that are coachable is consistent Proper base and ball speed (touch) 

9 minutes ago, #34fan said:

And yet that was debunked immediately. AZ tried to trade into 7 for him. 

Josh Allen is what he is. He is a High Risk but High Reward pick. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Seems like all his throws were to receivers 20 yards down field with zero separation.  He was counted on to carry the show.

Yep.  I would love to have seen how Allen would have performed in the USC offense this year.  So glad we did not end up with Darnold.  Guess we’ll find out...

31 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This was a problem for me as well.   And I'll have to think about how that experiece is a good training ground for reading NFL defenses.   Half his plays were break down scrambles.   I saw very little timing/scheme, just a lot of "hair on fire" throw it and hope.     

I loved Rosen because a saw bits and pieces of Brady and Rogers in his game.    Looking off the safeties, using pump fakes, throwing guys open, putting the ball in the perfect place where only the WR can get it.   That's the NFL game.    Throwing 100mph fastballs on checkdowns, thinking a cross body, off balance throw will work against NFL dbs, and running around like a chicken--not so much...

This.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That is fair enough

i am gonna commend Beane on how he has Handled the draft sitting tight and not giving away that first to take a QB sooner after Donald was drafted took balls then he turns that next first round pick in to Edmunds who is a flight out feastHandled the draft sitting tight and not giving away that first to take a QB sooner after Donald was drafted took balls then he turns that next first round pick in to Edmunds who is a flight out feast

You have absolutely no idea if that’s true

It's called a period. Use one.

• Haha (+1) 1