Bills essentially traded a 1st, 2nd, Watkins and Glenn

*yawn* Another rash, sensless - and flat out incorrect - thread.

We traded a first? Here I thought we only traded two seconds to move up. This is like the fans that couldn't do simple math a few years ago when saying we gave up three first rounders for Watkins. And we traded Watkins away?!? This is news to me. I bet the team that traded for him surely got dividends out of it and and signed him long term!

Let's also leave out how we gained Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds over the course of this past year for the sake of negativity 

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I think many are forgetting that at this moment AJ McCarron is the starting QB and hopefully this regime doesn't rush Allens development like Whaley and Co. did with EJ. Allen is a project with tremendous upside. Like Mahomes he will have the opportunity to sit, learn and develop. Hone his skills so when he does see action he's not overwhelmed.   

When was AJ McCarron annointed the "starting QB"?

This is my biggest concern about Allen.  He needs time to learn to process the field and to try to fix his muscle memory.  If he were on a team with a proven NFL-capable starter, he would be able to sit.  AJ McCarron may or may not be an NFL-capable starter, and this is a HC who has already shown he is willing to throw an unready rookie into the fire.

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

They traded 2017 pick 10, 2018 pick 21, 2018 pick 53, a WR they weren’t going to sign, a LT who quit the moment he got paid and Tyrod

They got a potential franchise QB, a potential franchise MLB, what looks like a lock down CB and a mountain of cap space. 

This ^^^

4 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

No one in their right mind would compare him to EJ. 

Why not?  He is by all accounts a nice hardworking kid (juvenile tweets aside), and is big, strong and inaccurate. 

Edited by Tenhigh

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When was AJ McCarron annointed the "starting QB"?

This is my biggest concern about Allen.  He needs time to learn to process the field and to try to fix his muscle memory.  If he were on a team with a proven NFL-capable starter, he would be able to sit.  AJ McCarron may or may not be an NFL-capable starter, and this is a HC who has already shown he is willing to throw an unready rookie into the fire.

Not saying Allen can’t start but that wouldn’t be ideal, would it? He’ll need seasoning and I don’t expect him to see the field immediately. I totally expect a step back this season and that’s ok with me. 

McCarron wasn’t anointed the starter, that’s true. But at this moment where do you think he sits on the depth chart?

Watkins has been gone for an entire season. We got a player for him, not just a pick.

And Watkins is now on his third team.

5 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Why not?  He is by all accounts a nice hardworking kid (juvenile tweets aside), and is big, strong and inaccurate. 

But better than Manuel in every single way.

Anyone thinking that trading Watkins, Dareus and Glenn for what they did was going to result in getting equal talent back was hallucinating.

They were traded to make the everyday job of preparing the team easier for the vulnerable new HC............the returns were pennies on the dollar.........but shiny pennies for all the draft capitalists that somehow think......against all odds.........that every draft is going to yield 7 new starters.:doh:

On 4/27/2018 at 9:20 AM, Mat68 said:

Kiper, McShay, Bleacher Report, 24/7, All had him 1,2,3, or 4.  Sure you can find a place that rates him poorly.  This was not a reach.  Many had him over Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes last year.  What your saying is not true.  After his first full season in FBS football he was a potential first rounder.   

Even assuming you put your criteria as 1st rounder in January - he was still viewed as the 5th best prospect here - https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2018/1/1/16817080/2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-josh-rosen-baker-mayfield and here - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-josh-rosen-to-broncos-colts-grab-saquon-barkley/ and here - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2018/01/03/2018-nfl-mock-draft-first-round-sam-darnold-josh-rosen/997200001/

I was going off memory, but it was pretty clear that aside from a couple of people enamored with potential rather than demonstrated ability - he wasn't viewed as anything but the 4th or 5th best prospect in the Lamar Jackson and Rudolph area code.

On 4/27/2018 at 6:27 AM, Sweats said:

Yep, the FO hitched their wagons to a project QB in the first round that may or may not be able to understand NFL football.

Just let that sink in.

I dont think understanding it is the issue...he scored a 37 on the wonderlic.

Making the right decisions might be a different story

On 4/27/2018 at 3:27 AM, Sweats said:

Yep, the FO hitched their wagons to a project QB in the first round that may or may not be able to understand NFL football.

Just let that sink in.

Allen had the highest Wonderlic by far of all the QBs

On 4/27/2018 at 6:30 AM, PIZ said:

So we trade up for a QB that they targeted, and we are complaining?

Lol... of course. Never mind that the FO did exactly what many folks wanted, giving up just 2 seconds to switch spots for a top rated QB. Traded a WR that they said was injury prone, didn't live up to the hype, wasn't going to re-sign here etc etc. Traded a OT that was oft injured and probably wouldn't be brought back, was replaced by a cheaper player and on and on. Yes they did precisely what fans had begged for, but now they don't like the guy the FO believed in most. Hypocritical as per usual. 

31 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Even assuming you put your criteria as 1st rounder in January - he was still viewed as the 5th best prospect here - https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2018/1/1/16817080/2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-josh-rosen-baker-mayfield and here - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-josh-rosen-to-broncos-colts-grab-saquon-barkley/ and here - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2018/01/03/2018-nfl-mock-draft-first-round-sam-darnold-josh-rosen/997200001/

I was going off memory, but it was pretty clear that aside from a couple of people enamored with potential rather than demonstrated ability - he wasn't viewed as anything but the 4th or 5th best prospect in the Lamar Jackson and Rudolph area code.

i am not talking about what columnist or media heads put in an imaginary mock.  Actual player rankings Allen is rated very high in most.  

On 4/27/2018 at 6:44 AM, Rochesterfan said:

Where do you get he does not know football- it was acknowledged at the combine he did some of e best whiteboard work.  It sounds like he gets football just fine and is a hard worker.

Let’s see what having a real coaching staff training him is like.

Well if we go off their management of previous QBs that real coaching staff doesn't have a good track record.

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

i am not talking about what columnist or media heads put in an imaginary mock.  Actual player rankings Allen is rated very high in most.  

What actual player rankings? The ones in your head? He had sources and you're just going to say he's wrong without any support. Are you the lone person in the world who had access to all 32 teams big boards?

39 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Well if we go off their management of previous QBs that real coaching staff doesn't have a good track record.

What actual player rankings? The ones in your head? He had sources and you're just going to say he's wrong without any support. Are you the lone person in the world who had access to all 32 teams big boards?

Any sight that actually ranks the the players in he draft.  So people that are actually looking at the players and putting them in order not what team will take who.  Mcshay, Kiper, Mayock, bleache report simms or Miller.  There are multiple places and sites that do it.