Beane cost us the 3rd overall pick. JMO

Something I've been thinking. Bills fell asleep at the wheel. Why do I say this? Everyone said Colts didn't want to trade out of the top 10. I believed this also, but the more I see mock drafts and hear the Colts GM saying he's not apposed to moving down the more I think Beane overplayed his hand for the 3rd pick. Beane probably tried to haggle and they said, screw you and took a deal with the Jets.

Now here's the hard part.

I believe if Whaley is the GM we have the 3rd overall pick today and everyone is projecting we get Darnold or Rosen. It's sickening. Whaley would have given up "too much" but we'd be in a better position. JMO.

Edited by CuddyDark
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Bills of Boston said:

He could have not wanted to move out of top 10 for his first deal and then for a potential second is fine with it. Ballard essentially gets double the amount of picks w two trades.  So this  narrative isn’t really all that correct (theoretically of course.)

Jets trade seems like a backup plan they had if the Bills tried to stick to the trade chart or lowball their offer.

I disagree strongly.

Staying in the top ten, and getting the over payment the Colts did was a far more appealing package, because they allowed them selves to move down again!!!

We could have been in the lead for the pick then the Jets gave up what they did, and the Colts knew that not only gave them assets but even more power to acquire more.

This isnt on Beane, the guy has reportedly tried to move up, none of these teams are budging yet.

Had Buffalo already been in the top 7-10, and lost out to the Jets, that would be worth blaming Beane then, but picking at 12 doesnt help. Especially when the entire league has made a point of saying they only believe there is X amount of top tier talent.

Edited by BillsFan17
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Beane probably tried to haggle and they said, screw you and took a deal with the Jets.

So the Colts GM took the best deal he could get over a month before the draft out of spite? I'm gonna go ahead and say that's a no. More realistically Beane probably declined to give up more value than the Jets were able to and that was that. And now people think we'll somehow get to #2 or #1 without giving up more value than the Jets did. The Colts probably asked for 3 1st round picks. The Giants will want even more than that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Something I've ben thinking. Bills fell asleep at the wheel. Why do I say this? Everyone said Colts didn't want to trade out of the top 10. I believed this also, but the more I seem mock drafts and hear the Colts GM saying he's not apposed to moving down the more I think Beane overplayed his had for the 3rd pick. Beane probably tried to haggle and they said, screw you and took a deal with the Jets.

I believe if Whaley is the GM we have the 3rd overall pick today and everyone is projecting we get Darnold or Rosen. It's sickening. Whaley would have given up "too much" but we'd be in a better position. JMO.

The trade with the Jets happened a few weeks ago.....many things could have changed.  

Both Ballard and Dorsey know how top heavy the QB draft is and teams will be desperate....this could be a tactic to drive the value up.  

5 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I disagree strongly.

Staying in the top ten, and getting the over payment the Colts did was a far more appealing package, because they allowed them selves to move down again!!!

We could have been in the lead for the pick then the Jets gave up what they did, and the Colts knew that not only gave them assets but even more power to acquire more.

This isnt on Beane, the guy has reportedly tried to move up, none of these teams are budging yet.

Had Buffalo already been in the top 7-10, and lost out to the Jets, that's fine, but picking at 12 doesnt help. Especially when the entire league has made a point of saying they only believe there is X amount of top tier talent.

I don't believe this because the Bills have two number ones. I think the Bills overplayed their hand. Beane specifically.

Edited by CuddyDark

8 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Something I've been thinking. Bills fell asleep at the wheel. Why do I say this? Everyone said Colts didn't want to trade out of the top 10. I believed this also, but the more I see mock drafts and hear the Colts GM saying he's not apposed to moving down the more I think Beane overplayed his hand for the 3rd pick. Beane probably tried to haggle and they said, screw you and took a deal with the Jets.

And what, exactly, was it that the Bills were going to give the Colts for their #3 pick?    The Bills didn't have anything to offer that compares with the #6.   

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So the Colts GM took the best deal he could get over a month before the draft out of spite? I'm gonna go ahead and say that's a no. More realistically Beane probably declined to give up more value than the Jets were able to and that was that. And now people think we'll somehow get to #2 or #1 without giving up more value than the Jets did. The Colts probably asked for 3 1st round picks. The Giants will want even more than that.

Never said spite. Said I believe Bills overplayed their hand in the negotiation.

Just now, CuddyDark said:

Never said spite. Said I believe Bills overplayed their hand in the negotiation.

Ok but what does that mean? They didn't overplay their hand, they set a ceiling on what they were willing to give up and the Jets punched a hole through that ceiling. Credit to their front office for locking us out by offering one of the highest trade up premiums ever.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, CuddyDark said:

Assuming the 2019 2nd rounder is worth a 2018 3rd rounder at the Jets' spot (5th), the amount they gave the Colts to move up 3 spots was 1175.  To make up that, the Bills would have had to give up both 1st rounder, their 1st next year, and their 2nd this year.  If so, I'm glad Beane cost them the 3rd pick.

9 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Oh my.....

I think I’m just going to back out of this thread quietly 

I have never seen the insanity at this level during any previous off season; some of you need a hobby, a job, or both!

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I don't believe this because the Bills have two number ones. I think the Bills overplayed their hand. Beane specifically.

Two firsts doesnt automatically have intrinsic value. The value of pick 22 is exactly what the trade partner values that pick st. They arent going to base it on some value chart, they are going to base it what tier of prospect will potentially be there.

Plus, again, dropping out of the top ten initially isnt as attractive as staying in the top ten. Getting what they did with the power to acquire more, you can under value you that all you want, but its exactly what is happening.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Ok but what does that mean? They didn't overplay their hand, they set a ceiling on what they were willing to give up and the Jets punched a hole through that ceiling. Credit to their front office for locking us out by offering one of the highest trade up premiums ever.

This is what I mean. Bills overplayed their hand and Jets scooped them. I believe that's Beane's fault.

14 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Jets made a bad rrade out of desperation. Just like with women, moves out of desperation usually backfire.

Just now, matter2003 said:

Jets made a bad rrade out of desperation. Just like with women, moves out of desperation usually backfire.

But they'll get a franchise QB. Lets see what desperation does to the Bills. Could have been sitting pretty.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Assuming the 2019 2nd rounder is worth a 2018 3rd rounder at the Jets' spot (5th), the amount they gave the Colts to move up 3 spots was 1175.  To make up that, the Bills would have had to give up both 1st rounder, their 1st next year, and their 2nd this year.  If so, I'm glad Beane cost them the 3rd pick.

This.

Plus the Colts GM said this:  "Talked to a couple other teams, but we still wanted to stay in position in that top 10 where we could still get a premium player. We feel like at (No.) 6, we'll still be able to get a premium player."

The Bills didn't have a pick in the top 10.   They still don't, even after the Glenn deal.   

So, the Bills would have had to pay too much, AND the Bills didn't have what Colts wanted, but Beane still overplayed their hand?   What hand?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think Beane over played his hand. I think the Colts simply did the smart thing. Make two teams overpay. They know they'll get greater value that way in the long run. And if in the long run they don't work out a second trade with us or another team like the Dolphins or Cardnials, they know they will still get a heck of player in Chubb, Barkley or Nelson at #6.

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

But they'll get a franchise QB. Lets see what desperation does to the Bills. Could have been sitting pretty.

And how has the Jets record of selecting QBs gone in the past 10 years?  Just because they can draft a QB doesnt mean they draft the right one. Lets not pretend whoever they draft is guaranteed to make the hall of fame.

18 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

From what i heard Whaley wanted Mahomes last yr but Mcd over ruled him.  This is the reason he's not here now. 

Mahomes will be better then any QB in this draft we made a huge mistake. 

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

So they don't care about the bluechip players in the top 6 anymore, now that they have 3 seconds?

The Colts have more holes than a cheap umbrella. It's part of the reason that Luck was injured so badly. They need all the capital they can get, IMO.