Murph + Tasker, new show "One Bills Live"

KDIGGZ

ESPN's Chris Berman discussed his upcoming trips to WNY for Jim Kelly's golf tournament, the Buffalo Sports HOF Experience, and Thurman Thomas' number retirement (29:35). Tailgate Guys president/CEO Parker Duffey described how fans can use their service at New Era Field (56:30). Bills CB Vontae Davis discussed his first offseason with the team, his travels around the world and his thoughts on teammate Tre'Davious White (1:41:00).

Bills UDFA CB Levi Wallace discussed the loss of his father, walking-on at Alabama, and participating in OTAs (1:00:55). Bills Director of Player Personnel Dan Morgan talked about his post NFL career, his time with the Seahawks, and why he thinks he is a good fit in Buffalo (1:41:00).

CBS Sports Jason La Canfora was in town and gave his national take on the Bills (28:40). Bills OC Brian Daboll discussed what he's seen from the offense and QBs including first round pick Josh Allen (50:00). Bills C Russell Bodine talked about his time in Cincinnati and OTAs so far (1:39:50).

Bills DC Leslie Frazier talked about Shaq Lawson's different attitude and some of the newcomers to the defense for this season (27:55). Bills LB Lorenzo Alexander talked about celebrating his birthday, some of his favorite pro athletes and how OTAs are going (52:30). And we discussed who might be the Bills defensive MVP.

On 5/18/2018 at 2:05 PM, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

The guide always says Instigators, but are you saying you tuned in and it wasnt there?

Yes, was nothing but the blank screen with the Direct TV logo. Checked again today and it's still not showing the broadcast.

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Yes, was nothing but the blank screen with the Direct TV logo. Checked again today and it's still not showing the broadcast.

Today was radio only as they update the MSG studio.  They're back on TV tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can't listen to this show live, so I listen to their podcasts as often as possible.

That said... it seems like Murph and Tasker are really forming a good partnership and getting into the groove for a good show.

Steve Tasker was out at the Jim Kelly Celebrity Classic and spoke with Bruce Smith (36:40), Eric Wood (1:25:30), Bill Polian (1:45:00), and Phil Hansen (2:10:20). Bills LB Julian Stanford joined us in-studio to discuss what he likes about the culture in Buffalo (43:40).

Today we talked about which rookie we are rooting the hardest for. MMQB senior NFL reporter Albert Breer gave us an update on Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski and also discussed the Dolphins offseason so far (1:42:50).

The Ringer's Danny Kelly discussed which NFL players and Bills will have bounce back seasons. CBS Sports' salary cap expert Joel Corry gave us an update on possible contract extensions for Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, and Aaron Rodgers.

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A corker from yesterday's show was "Jim Kelly has done more than any other player from his era in his retirement".  That, predictably, was Murph. Tasker did remind him that John Elway built a Superbowl Champion team.

I like the show enough but Murph absolutely has a more pro Bills vibe then his previous radio show before the Bills partnered with WGR. I think he was willing to be more objective back then he can't now with the parternship between the Bills and WGR.

FYI thats the norm across all teams from what I've seen. My buddy is a huge Cowboys fan and their show is very "state radio" controlled message that really won't dip into the weeds much.

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

You can tell Steve and John don’t get along, at all. This lil experiment will be short lived.

John was laughing in Steve's face today at his idiocy regarding the #1, #2, & #3 QB. It was great to hear. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

You can tell Steve and John don’t get along, at all. This lil experiment will be short lived.

I think that is false. They differ in opinion often, but I think they get along. Steve has been coming on the show regularly for years.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A corker from yesterday's show was "Jim Kelly has done more than any other player from his era in his retirement".  That, predictably, was Murph. Tasker did remind him that John Elway built a Superbowl Champion team.

Murphy was quoting someone else, if I remember correctly, but he did agree with that person. I think they were meaning off the field contributions with charity and community work and stuff like that.

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

I like the show enough but Murph absolutely has a more pro Bills vibe then his previous radio show before the Bills partnered with WGR. I think he was willing to be more objective back then he can't now with the parternship between the Bills and WGR.

FYI thats the norm across all teams from what I've seen. My buddy is a huge Cowboys fan and their show is very "state radio" controlled message that really won't dip into the weeds much.

Murphy has also gotten increasingly thinner skin. He takes offense to everything and can't handle Twitter attacks.

Edited by MJS

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Murphy has also gotten increasingly thinner skin. He takes offense to everything and can't handle Twitter attacks.

I would have much thinner skin if I had to deal with so many idiotic callers. 

I think the guy deserves a medal.  How many callers phone in saying the exact same thing as the previous caller?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

I think the guy deserves a medal.  How many callers phone in saying the exact same thing as the previous caller?

Not only that the amount of hair brained suggestions people make would make me have a dwindling patience. The two year reign of "There is something about Jeff Tuel, I've watch football for 40 years and this kid has it" by various callers in Cheektowaga and else where would've forced me into retirement.

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

It comes with the territory. If he can't handle it he chose the wrong profession.

• Like (+1) 1

We discussed if the Bills could make another flashy offseason trade and Terrell Owens declining his invite to the PFHOF ceremony. Bills G Wyatt Teller talked about his career at Virginia Tech and playing alongside LB Tremaine Edmunds (1:06:30). Bills LB Lorenzo Alexander discussed OTAs and Owens' decision (1:40:10).

We discussed when Bills rookie QB Josh Allen should get his crack at first team reps. Bills QB AJ McCarron discussed joining the team in free agency, his first team reps in OTAs and his time with the Bengals (1:03:25). !@#$ Chris Brown gave his take on what he's seen from Allen so far (1:39:30).

Today we discussed the best trades in franchise history. Bills QB Josh Allen talked about what he's learned since joining the team and what he likes about Buffalo (29:00). Former Bills LB Cornelius Bennett discussed his trade to Buffalo and his Bills career (52:10). Jets beat reporter Manish Mehta talked about rookie QB Sam Darnold (1:39:30).

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
We discussed when Bills rookie QB Josh Allen should get his crack at first team reps. Bills QB AJ McCarron discussed joining the team in free agency, his first team reps in OTAs and his time with the Bengals (1:03:25). !@#$ Chris Brown gave his take on what he's seen from Allen so far (1:39:30).

Today we discussed the best trades in franchise history. Bills QB Josh Allen talked about what he's learned since joining the team and what he likes about Buffalo (29:00). Former Bills LB Cornelius Bennett discussed his trade to Buffalo and his Bills career (52:10). Jets beat reporter Manish Mehta talked about rookie QB Sam Darnold (1:39:30).

Great listen, thanks for posting. 

The more I hear Josh Allen speak and speak at length, the more impressive he gets. It was a little thing, but when they asked about he and Phillips taking the pics with the wedding party at the stadium the other day, the first thing he mentioned, the first, was that Austin Proehl was also in the picture as well. A little thing like I said, but indicative of the kind of teammate he will be. 

Can't believe they had a "convicted rapist" on there as a guest, though. :ph34r:

Steve Tasker is horrible. Sad to say.

I was listening today and he couldn't get a single fact straight on the topic of the day: the Bennett Trade. He couldn't remember who was traded, what teams they went to, whether they were good when they got there... wtf? He was in the league at this time. Plus, you'd think he would do a little preparation on the topic of the day before the show starts.

9 hours ago, vincec said:

I was listening today and he couldn't get a single fact straight on the topic of the day: the Bennett Trade. He couldn't remember who was traded, what teams they went to, whether they were good when they got there... wtf? He was in the league at this time. Plus, you'd think he would do a little preparation on the topic of the day before the show starts.

Pretty bad he couldn't remember when Leonard Smith became a Bill. 

9 hours ago, vincec said:

I try to refrain from criticizing these guys as much as possible as I generally expect little from these shows.  I'm an easy grader, just give me some decent discussion and a few laughs, and I'm good. 

But you're 100% correct in your assessment.  Murph needed a "conversationalist" to compliment his inability to talk normally to guests.  Tasker is no such thing.  His memory might be distorted from the hits he took, but it seems like reads his rundown from the show's producers on his way to the stadium each morning.  The minimal preparation it seems he does is apparent.    

25 minutes ago, stony said:

I try to refrain from criticizing these guys as much as possible as I generally expect little from these shows.  I'm an easy grader, just give me some decent discussion and a few laughs, and I'm good. 

But you're 100% correct in your assessment.  Murph needed a "conversationalist" to compliment his inability to talk normally to guests.  Tasker is no such thing.  His memory might be distorted from the hits he took, but it seems like reads his rundown from the show's producers on his way to the stadium each morning.  The minimal preparation it seems he does is apparent.    

I was wondering whether this might be the case as well because it was really bad. Hopefully he's just mailing it in and it's not something more serious.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I was wondering whether this might be the case as well because it was really bad. Hopefully he's just mailing it in and it's not something more serious.

Being at the tail end of rehab from TBI myself (car accident), there are strategies to deal with memory issues and he needs to be using them if that's his deal - you take notes for crap you wouldn't ordinarily get notes for, use mental focus techniques to clear your mind of clutter, etc etc.

At a guess, he's mailing it in.  Although I guess you only change your routine and go looking for coping strategies if you get the 4x4 memo that "Something is Wrong!".  If you're faced with a gradual decline, it's probably harder to accept and go looking for help.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Being at the tail end of rehab from TBI myself (car accident), there are strategies to deal with memory issues and he needs to be using them if that's his deal - you take notes for crap you wouldn't ordinarily get notes for, use mental focus techniques to clear your mind of clutter, etc etc.

At a guess, he's mailing it in.  Although I guess you only change your routine and go looking for coping strategies if you get the 4x4 memo that "Something is Wrong!".  If you're faced with a gradual decline, it's probably harder to accept and go looking for help.

Mine too.  His previous work on the sidelines and in the booth was at least semi-coherent. 

It's unfortunate, the team seems willing to invest in a serious show with some production value.  That 12-3 slot could and should be fantastic.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So many things are explained in this one simple paragraph. Thank you for sharing.?

So... I'm a couple days behind listening to their podcast. 

I just finished listening to the most annoying/frustrating segment I just about EVER heard on the radio. 

It was the episode when they found out that TO wasn't going to attend the NFL HOF ceremony. 

Steve's behaviour was unbelievable.   (Even though I shared his same opinion.)  The way he went on and on bitching and complaining was just pathetic.

I lost a lot of respect for #89 today.

We heard from !@#$ Chris Brown live from the first mandatory minicamp practice (5:20). Bills DE Mike Love discussed joining the team and his career at South Florida (1:40:50). We heard from the Bills three QBs after practice and got an update on the gameday experience.

Chris Brown gave us a live update from the second day of minicamp. Bills LB Tremaine Edmunds talked about being drafted in the first round, his NFL family tree, and learning the defense so far as a rookie (1:44:40). We discussed which free agent defensive addition are you most excited to watch.