Richie Incognito Retires Via Twitter - Now Confirmed

Virgil

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok doc.

Anyway, Richie is a big boy, but his behavior this off-season is ultimately consistent with an adult life filled with bizarre, boneheaded and goofball behavior.  How can you debate this at this point? Oh, right..

I've said it repeatedly in another thread:  the loss of RI is a small loss that won't be felt painfully by the Bills this year.  It's not to make one "happy" or sad.  

I'm sure you'll be keeping tabs on his mental health.  And I hope you're right that his loss won't be felt, but I doubt it, especially after the loss of Wood.  I will say that if the Bills draft a rookie high, I'd sit him for the year, build up the OL in FA and the draft next year, and make 2019 his debut.

7 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Personally if he stays retired or tries to get us to release him it says a lot of him.  Maybe all the bad is a depiction of his true character.  Who knows how bad his health is but I'm guessing this is a hissy fit more than anything.

He's got 2 options.  But I'm sure that if he does decide to come back, the Bills will take him back.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm sure you'll be keeping tabs on his mental health.  And I hope you're right that his loss won't be felt, but I doubt it, especially after the loss of Wood.  I will say that if the Bills draft a rookie high, I'd sit him for the year, build up the OL in FA and the draft next year, and make 2019 his debut.

He's got 2 options.  But I'm sure that if he does decide to come back, the Bills will take him back.

If and when Maccarron fails, the rookie will start. 

In this league, 1st round QBs are drafted to start as rookies, the myth of "develop him behind the starter" not withstanding.

44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If and when Maccarron fails, the rookie will start. 

In this league, 1st round QBs are drafted to start as rookies, the myth of "develop him behind the starter" not withstanding.

It has nothing to do with developing him behind the starter.  It has to do with not getting him killed before he's had a chance to develop.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

It has nothing to do with developing him behind the starter.  It has to do with not getting him killed before he's had a chance to develop.

Such drama.  He would be killed now that RI is gone?  You weren't posting this when it was Glenn and Wood.  

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I'll bet he's the starter going into the season.  How long he keeps the job is anyone's guess.

Aw, how cute.  Are you 2 going to wear matching outfits tomorrow?

And here's a little hint WEO: don't let your personal feelings for a player allow you to make silly statements like it won't be hard to replace a Pro Bowl player. 

Theres a difference between it being easy to fully replace him, and disagreeing that you need to bench your qb because you lost a guard.... we likely won’t gave a guy as good but the best players still play

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Theres a difference between it being easy to fully replace him, and disagreeing that you need to bench your qb because you lost a guard.... we likely won’t gave a guy as good but the best players still play

They didn't just lose a guard, or even any old guard.  They also lost their starting Center and RI was a Pro Bowler.  Dawkins is just a 2nd year player.  On the other side you have Ducasse and Mills.  Why would you risk your prize QB behind that OL until you see how they hold up in real action?   

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Looks like doc erased his homoerotic/slur (his usual stuff), NoSaint.

The irony is that he says MY personal feelings lead me to make "silly statements" when he has proven endlessly that there is no molehill he on't die on, no any dinghy he won't go down with in his service to the worst of the Bills characters.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Looks like doc erased his homoerotic/slur (his usual stuff), NoSaint.

The irony is that he says MY personal feelings lead me to make "silly statements" when he has proven endlessly that there is no molehill he on't die on, no any dinghy he won't go down with in his service to the worst of the Bills characters.

It would have just been my second time WEO.  Hardly my "usual stuff."  Never pegged you for the sensitive type.  But I guess it comes out when it's convenient.

And the difference between you and me is I die on a molehill/go down on a dinghy for Bills players, not other teams' players. 

Been thinking about this a while. Not sure what the deal is, but ultimately it doesn’t matter.

Best of luck Richie. You’re a hell of a good G, and were an asset to the team. They’ll miss having you around.

Edited by evanmachlan

Just now, Doc said:

It would have just been my second time WEO.  Hardly my "usual stuff."  Never pegged you for the sensitive type.  But I guess it comes out when it's convenient.

And the difference between you and me is I die on a molehill/go down on a dinghy for Bills players, not other teams' players. 

"Just" your second?  Well that makes it ok!

No, I'm not that sensitive.  Just pointing out the white flag.

I'm sure RI doesn't appreciate your ardor.

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Just" your second?  Well that makes it ok!

No, I'm not that sensitive.  Just pointing out the white flag.

I'm sure RI doesn't appreciate your ardor.

And I'm just pointing out the bro-love.  You read the other stuff into it. 

As for RI, I don't care what he thinks.  All I care was that he was a great addition to the team for the past 3 years, at a below-market salary for a Pro Bowl OG, and he kept out of trouble both on- and off-the-field.  I'm not someone that believes that an athlete represents the city of Buffalo, much less me, but it was good that he's put his past behind him and even won-over his non-white teammates with the Bills. 

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, Doc said:

And I'm just pointing out the bro-love.  You read the other stuff into it. 

As for RI, I don't care what he thinks.  All I care was that he was a great addition to the team for the past 3 years, at a below-market salary for a Pro Bowl OG, and he kept out of trouble both on- and off-the-field.  I'm not someone that believes that an athlete represents the city of Buffalo, much less me, but it was good that he's put his past behind him and even won-over his non-white teammates with the Bills. 

You can play that card if you want, but it’s definitely more than once you’ve resorted to petty homophobic insults. It doesn’t particularly bother me but it’s pretty lame to pull the “you read other stuff into it” after you’ve explicitly made the comments previously.

as for Ritchie- I was skeptical of the signing. In the end it looks like we got most of the good and some of the bad. He was a quality lineman and inconsistent person. Generally we got his best play in his career and least drama. I’ll take the 3 years of play and deal with looking for a guard last minute now. 

But I’m not benching players out of fear that we don’t have him to protect them. 

Am I wrong that he could of handled retirement better? I understand health problems. I understand wanting to retire. The tweets about maybe I will play for  more money and the I'm done just sent the wrong message to me. 

The Bills took a chance on him when he had a bad reputation. He did give us some good years. I hope at least he at least was open with the team about needing to retire before he took it to Twitter. 

I want to be thankful for his service. I just don't feel it. Probably looking to deep into it and just accept that was the best way for him to leave the Bills. With a tweet. 

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

You can play that card if you want, but it’s definitely more than once you’ve resorted to petty homophobic insults. It doesn’t particularly bother me but it’s pretty lame to pull the “you read other stuff into it” after you’ve explicitly made the comments previously.

as for Ritchie- I was skeptical of the signing. In the end it looks like we got most of the good and some of the bad. He was a quality lineman and inconsistent person. Generally we got his best play in his career and least drama. I’ll take the 3 years of play and deal with looking for a guard last minute now. 

But I’m not benching players out of fear that we don’t have him to protect them

You say it best.  I agree with this.

And doc, while it was really cool he got to propagate his "I have a lot of black friends" beard in Buffalo, he can now go back to his white friends and resume their discussions of what gun-scope combos are beset for shooting black people and such...

Good for him.

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

But I’m not benching players out of fear that we don’t have him to protect them. 

I said nothing homophobic.  I was calling you two BFFs.     

And there was no bad with Ritchie while he was with the Bills, thankfully.  I'd have liked him to squeeze out one more season to allow for a transition to next year when the Bills will have more money to spend on FA's, but that won't happen.  Perhaps Beane set him off, I don't know.  But if you're looking for a large payday in order to not retire, it's probably best you retire. 

And there's no "benching" per se.  The rookie will have to come in and show he's better.  But I'm not sure why you're so adamant about him starting immediately.  Looking at many of the top QB's, they sat for a time before starting and it didn't harm them.  If the OL were more stable, I wouldn't be so concerned.  I just don't see the point in taking the risk if it's not needed.     

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You say it best.  I agree with this.

And doc, while it was really cool he got to propagate his "I have a lot of black friends" beard in Buffalo, he can now go back to his white friends and resume their discussions of what gun-scope combos are beset for shooting black people and such...

Good for him.

Careful with the "beard" talk there WEO.  You wouldn't want to offend yourself. 

And if that's what he ends up doing, so be it.  While with the Bills he behaved himself.  Now that he's retired, it's not my concern whether RI truly is a racist or not.  I hope he isn't, but if he is, it's amazing how he's fooled all his black teammates into loving him, huh?

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

And there was no bad with Ritchie while he was with the Bills, thankfully.  I'd have liked him to squeeze out one more season to allow for a transition to next year when the Bills will have more money to spend on FA's, but that won't happen.  Perhaps Beane set him off, I don't know.  But if you're looking for a large payday in order to not retire, it's probably best you retire. 

And there's no "benching" per se.  The rookie will have to come in and show he's better.  But I'm not sure why you're so adamant about him starting immediately.  Looking at many of the top QB's, they sat for a time before starting and it didn't harm them.  If the OL were more stable, I wouldn't be so concerned.  I just don't see the point in taking the risk if it's not needed.     

And if that's what he ends up doing, so be it.  While with the Bills he behaved himself.  Now that he's retired, it's not my concern whether RI truly is a racist or not.  I hope he isn't, but if he is, it's amazing how he's fooled all his black teammates into loving him, huh?

“You two are gay together”

”you two totally hook up”

”are you two going to wear matching outfits”

“how dare anyone think that my last comment was inappropriate”

Again, I don’t care, and i wouldn’t have commented if not for your lame defense if it - ultimately it reflects on you not me when you’ve made those comments. But even if last nights was just a bff joke you can’t be shocked someone would think otherwise after you’ve made the other comments previously. It takes the smallest amount of self awareness, common sense and owning of mistakes to understand that... but we all have things we struggle with. 

In ritchies case, it’s erratic behavior for some 30 years. I know you are all in on any possible discussion of that being wild accusations, misunderstandings or others faults. Firing his agent via twitter was nonsensical. His retirement is part of his time with us and it was spotty. He apologized for the Jax incident that you claim never happened. He’s not been  his worst here but he’s not been perfect. 

And im not insisting the rookie start, but... I hope he’s our best qb and I hope our best qb starts. You are the one saying bubble wrap him this year because a guard retired. Now that it’s been pointed out as ridiculous it’s shifted to claiming im insisting you must start the rookie immediately instead of just owning that “don’t play the rookie” is a ridiculous stance in the wake of this announcement.

Edited by NoSaint

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

say what?  "All"? 

But you're right.  He can't be "truly" racist if he has some black friends, right?  You've just solved that problem--assign every white person a black friend!!  Start writing your Nobel acceptance...

And can you list all of the top QBs who sat for a time before starting?

Ryan, Stafford, Carr, Mariota, Winston, Flacco, Newton, Dalton, Wilson, Luck, Wentz, Prescott all started their first game as rookies. Big Ben started his 3rd.  That' just current players.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

“You two are gay together”

”you two totally hook up”

”are you two going to wear matching outfits”

“how dare anyone think that my last comment was inappropriate”

Again, I don’t care, and i wouldn’t have commented if not for your lame defense if it - ultimately it reflects on you not me when you’ve made those comments. But even if last nights was just a bff joke you can’t be shocked someone would think otherwise after you’ve made the other comments previously. It takes the smallest amount of self awareness, common sense and owning of mistakes to understand that... but we all have things we struggle with. 

In ritchies case, it’s erratic behavior for some 30 years. I know you are all in on any possible discussion of that being wild accusations, misunderstandings or others faults. Firing his agent via twitter was nonsensical. His retirement is part of his time with us and it was spotty. He apologized for the Jax incident that you claim never happened. He’s not been  his worst here but he’s not been perfect. 

And im not insisting the rookie start, but... I hope he’s our best qb and I hope our best qb starts. You are the one saying bubble wrap him this year because a guard retired. Now that it’s been pointed out as ridiculous it’s shifted to claiming im insisting you must start the rookie immediately instead of just owning that “don’t play the rookie” is a ridiculous stance in the wake of this announcement.

I never said the first 2 things.  If I offended you with anything I did say however, I apologize. 

As for Ritchie, like I said, all I cared about was that he played well and kept himself out of trouble while with the Bills.  Some people deserve second chances and it's what they do with them that matters more than what happened before.  I just didn't see his inartful firing of his agents because he was retiring and attempt to wrangle one last big payday being a sign of impending mental breakdown like WEO hopes it is.  But even if it is, he's no longer a Bill. 

And no, I never said that just RI retiring is the reason they shouldn't start the rookie.  Again he wasn't the only one who retired, and they have a 2nd year LT and 2 guys everyone thinks suck in Ducasse and Mills.  But you want to start a rookie in the first game of the season because, well, he just should, OL be damned?  I think that would be ridiculous and again I point out below, many QB's who didn't have to start from day 1 have succeeded, so I'd rather not take the chance until I see that the OL is at least OK.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

say what?  "All"? 

But you're right.  He can't be "truly" racist if he has some black friends, right?  You've just solved that problem--assign every white person a black friend!!  Start writing your Nobel acceptance...

And can you list all of the top QBs who sat for a time before starting?

Ryan, Stafford, Carr, Mariota, Winston, Flacco, Newton, Dalton, Wilson, Luck, Wentz, Prescott all started their first game as rookies. Big Ben started his 3rd.  That' just current players.

Yeah, "all."  Even Jonathan Martin...until he conveniently used Ritchie as an excuse for his failures.  I haven't heard one (besides the obvious) say anything bad about him.  But even if a few had, "most of" doesn't really change much of anything, does it? 

You see the fact you can't escape with all your snark about "beards" and winning the Nobel Prize is that his black teammates on the Dols loved him and supported him over a fellow black player.  And while he came to the Bills with a rep, they ended up loving him as well.  What makes you think you have any special insight into anything, much less speak for the black community?   

And how about Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Tannehill, Bortles, Watson, Rivers, Keenum, Manning, Cousins and Garroppolllo?  My point stands.  There is absolutely no need to rush a rookie to play.  I know what you're trying to do here. 

Yes he's likely realizing the $6.9M mistake he just made.  For a guy to forgo almost to 30% of his career earnings by not playing this year, I think he'll quickly realize he shouldn't have walked away from that much $.

29 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I've said for days now that I thought it was strange that the Bills or his teammates (at least none that I'm aware of outside of McCoy) have congratulated him on his retirement. 

Something more has to be going on here. 

Come on man. He's done.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:40 PM, Doc said:

They didn't just lose a guard, or even any old guard.  They also lost their starting Center and RI was a Pro Bowler.  Dawkins is just a 2nd year player.  On the other side you have Ducasse and Mills.  Why would you risk your prize QB behind that OL until you see how they hold up in real action?   

The also gave away their Pro Bowl QB too.....

22 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Ritchie will be missed and his retirement leaves this OL in shambles.  If I'm Beane, I'm calling Chas Rheingold's agent and offering Reinhart whatever it takes.

It would be much better if they called up someone better.....

Bill's fans always love their recently departed backups.....

A real schmuck move if it is indeed a joke.  #madeyalook.  Sure looks like he’s throwing a month long temper tantrum after being asked to take the pay cut,  fired his agent.  Retires.  Is placed on retired list.  Takes this jab #madeyalook.

sigh