Rex Ryan expects the Bills to make huge offer for #2.

PIZ

Notice the universal disdain for Rex present in this thread, and rightly so.

Yet when the Bills first signed Rex, Mike Francesa crucified Rex on his radio show, pointing out in detail why the hire was foolish on the part of the Bills, and why Rex would be a dismal failure.  Everything he said on his show was spot on...but when people pointed it out here, or dared to agreed with Francessa, the mob descended on them and all we heard was attacks on Francesa. 

Rex was going to bring us into relevancy, things would be different, don't be negative, blah blah blah.

Funny how the passage of time changes opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It shouldn't.  Rex is proving himself to be just as much of a blowhard idiot now as he was 2 - 3 years ago.  But he's perfect for ESPN, just say some **** and something will stick.

4 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

The #2 pick talk is dead.

NYG are staying there and taking a player.  There is a better chance to go to 5-10.

Not so fast, hearing rumors of McCoy in a package trade up to #2

4 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

The #2 pick talk is dead.

NYG are staying there and taking a player.  There is a better chance to go to 5-10.

Bradley Chubb makes a lot of sense since JPP. I also think Rosen makes a lot of sense for G-Men.

But I also think that Beane may well decide to package an offer Gettleman cannot refuse. And if he does Josh Rosen will be sporting a Bills uni imo (right after Browns pick Sam).

10 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Not so fast, hearing rumors of McCoy in a package trade up to #2

at this point, I'm so uneasy sitting in the #12 spot that I could be okay with that under the right circumstances, especially if we don't have to give up the farm, the house behind the farm, and our first unborn son.....

6 hours ago, PIZ said:

Rex Ryan also told us to "get ready, we're going" to the playoffs...

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Yet when the Bills first signed Rex, Mike Francesa crucified Rex on his radio show, pointing out in detail why the hire was foolish on the part of the Bills, and why Rex would be a dismal failure.  Everything he said on his show was spot on...but when people pointed it out here, or dared to agreed with Francessa, the mob descended on them and all we heard was attacks on Francesa. 

Rex was going to bring us into relevancy, things would be different, don't be negative, blah blah blah.

One of the rare times I completely agreed with Francesa

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I do notice the immature disdain coming from this thread.  Reminds me of 12 year old boys trying to get over their first crush. 

Its pretty embarrassing and it’s apparent most here are still in their teens. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, JohnC said:

In every draft there are unexpected twists and turns. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the top drafting teams decide to pick for other positions resulting in some qbs falling down the board. My point is that this isn't an all or nothing gung ho strategy for a qb. I'm confident that this regime that has demonstrated good judgment will make their calculations and come out with a smart decision. 

I don't know what to expect John. They are not rank amateurs ala Whaley, but they do have a tough situation ahead.

My guess is that they are eyeing Mayfield. Darnold (obviously the best imho) will be long gone and I think Allen will be next. Hopefully the Jets will grab Rosen. In this scenario, trading up to take Mayfield will cost dearly. I'm personally ok with it, although I do hope that we can hang onto the 1st round pick in 2019.

My reasoning for the above is that the Bills could finish with a worse record this season than 2017. Remember, I watched every game McCarron played in college. He is good John but he played behind perhaps the best OL ever in college football. The Bills OL (if it stays healthy) appears to be thin and average at best. AJ isn't able to run out of jams ala Tyrod; hopefully he can be a better passer and negate this.

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 hour ago, boater said:

It's all in the W-L columns.

I'd tolerate a Rex blowhard who wins.

If you're a losing blowhard, you're sleeping with the fishes.

That's pretty much how it ended up. It's not complicated.

thats true. winning blowhards are fun. Mediocre blowhards look unprepared.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Why do they still put a microphone in front of him? 

Half the members of this forum work harder at understanding football football than he does 

he should still be here making Kyle drop back into coverage in the 4th quarter.

Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he did work for the Pegulas and he must know how badly they want a true franchise quarterback on their team. Pegs was I'm sure pushing for Trubisky last year. He is meeting these guys and I think, outside of Darnold, they are going to find a way to trade up for the guy the organization wants. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

11 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't know what to expect John. They are not rank amateurs ala Whaley, but they do have a tough situation ahead.

My guess is that they are eyeing Mayfield. Darnold (obviously the best imho) will be long gone and I think Allen will be next. Hopefully the Jets will grab Rosen. In this scenario, trading up to take Mayfield will cost dearly. I'm personally ok with it, although I do hope that we can hang onto the 1st round pick in 2019.

My reasoning for the above is that the Bills could finish with a worse record this season than 2017. Remember, I watched every game McCarron played in college. He is good John but he played behind perhaps the best OL ever in college football. The Bills OL (if it stays healthy) appears to be thin and average at best. AJ isn't able to run out of jams ala Tyrod; hopefully he can be a better passer and negate this.

I heard Brady Quinn say on Sirius that he thinks that the Bills could get Mayfield at 12 (the 49ers pick) by giving up a 2nd or a 3rd. This would be my ideal scenario because as I said, we have little to no chance at getting Darnold.

Bill, From a record standpoint I don't expect the Bills to be as good as last season. From the start I have believed that this was a major rebuild endeavor. When the new regime took over good players were dispatched and big contracts were shed in order to start the process of not only rebuilding this roster but also restructuring the cap in a smarter way. The first year success of participating in the playoffs was in my view a surprise and a fluke. That accomplishment was a tribute to the HC and his staff getting the players to buy in what they were espousing. 

I, as with you, desperately want to come out of this draft with a high end qb prospect. Getting Mayfield for a reasonable expenditure would be terrific. However, there is a good chance that the chips won't fall in our favor and allow us to get a deal done. If that happens then I'm not going to be in a state of despair. With the number of high picks a good fall back response is to use the picks to bolster a thin roster. 

Getting AJ was a reasonable option transitioning from the Taylor era. Is he better? The best way to answer that question is that he is different in that he is more of a conventional qb who can run a pro offense. Ultimately, I consider him to be a reasonable backup when this team gets a legitimate franchise qb. 

You have consistently been a harsh critic of Whaley. History has proven you to be correct. His patchwork approach to assembling a roster was an approach that was going to keep this franchise entrenched in the middle of the pack. His passivity on the qb issue was an act of malfeasance. With his type of tactical thinking the best that could be hoped for was keeping this team in the category of being a fringe wild-card team i.e. a category that applies to 70% of the teams. At least with the McBeane tandem you can see a blue print implemented with some strategic thinking and action. That more coherent way of doing business is what makes me optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, boater said:

It's all in the W-L columns.

I'd tolerate a Rex blowhard who wins.

If you're a losing blowhard, you're sleeping with the fishes.

That's pretty much how it ended up. It's not complicated.

You are right. You can't talk sh*t without backing it up. Hollow words. AND when he failed he doubled down and failed some more. Such a D-Bag!

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

You have consistently been a harsh critic of Whaley. History has proven you to be correct. His patchwork approach to assembling a roster was an approach that was going to keep this franchise entrenched in the middle of the pack. His passivity on the qb issue was an act of malfeasance. With his type of tactical thinking the best that could be hoped for was keeping this team in the category of being a fringe wild-card team i.e. a category that applies to 70% of the teams. At least with the McBeane tandem you can see a blue print implemented with some strategic thinking and action. That more coherent way of doing business is what makes me optimistic. 

Look back now if you will at the Watkins trade. Whaley used the 9th pick, a future 1st rounder and a 4th to move up 5 spots......to draft a receiver. And please, I know Sammy is "good." That is not, nor was it ever my issue. Even if we DID have a qb at the time, that would have been a dumb move and just one of many.

I have always had a theory about the draft.....I think that 1 horrible, stupid draft (ex.: Bills 2006) can set a team back for many, many years. And as you said from day 1, quarterback is the way to go.

I even have another theory that involves defensive backs, but you may have heard it once or twice. :):):) 

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Look back now if you will at the Watkins trade. Whaley used the 9th pick, a future 1st rounder and a 4th to move up 5 spots......to draft a receiver. And please, I know Sammy is "good." That is not, nor was it ever my issue. Even if we DID have a qb at the time, that would have been a dumb move and just one of many.

I have always had a theory about the draft.....I think that 1 horrible, stupid draft (ex.: Bills 2006) can set a team back for many, many years. And as you said from day 1, quarterback is the way to go.

I even have another theory that involves defensive backs, but you may have heard it once or twice. :):):) 

If you think a bad draft sets a team back consider the multi-year set back that happened with the hiring of a corpulent and loquacious huckster coach? 

I'm not going to bother trying to argue with you over the importance of DBs. You are too hardened on that issue. Almost as hardened as I was on the Taylor issue. :) Although I have a more legitimate excuse for my obstinacy: family mulish genes

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2018 at 1:05 PM, PIZ said:

I don't think the Bills should give much weight to the views of a guy who had a tat of his wife in Sanchez jersey tattooed on his arm, whether or not he's someone they fired.

21 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I heard Brady Quinn say on Sirius that he thinks that the Bills could get Mayfield at 12 (the 49ers pick) by giving up a 2nd or a 3rd. This would be my ideal scenario because as I said, we have little to no chance at getting Darnold.

I'm so confused!  Don't we already have pick 12, and the 49'ers pick at 9?

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think the Bills should give much weight to the views of a guy who had a tat of his wife in Sanchez jersey tattooed on his arm, whether or not he's someone they fired.

I'm so confused!  Don't we already have pick 12, and the 49'ers pick at 9?

Thanks, my mistake.  :(