Bill Polian would take AJ McCarron over 2017 NFL Draft prospects

I believe that Polian is a shrewd businessman these days and does not live in the new era anymore. He looks very unhappy. The guy is a major downer, but sure can build a team. He managed to get a team built in Buffalo when no one wanted to play there and Ralph Wilson (all about the money and never paid premium dollars) cared less if we won or not. Polian wanted to win and I respect him for his past, but now he is a bitter old dude.

After his talk about not trading Foles unless Philly gets 2x1's and 2x2's I was like what the F are you talking about. Foles had a good run, but his body of work is just average. the same for all of the free agents this year. AJM is OK and can be a top 30 guy, but he has no weapons with us. He probably will not crack under pressure if we can put together an offensive line and RUN a TON. Bill also drafted http://www.nfl.com/player/kerrycollins/2500150/profile #1 and he sucked ass. Manning was an easy pick over #2. Jim Kelly over Eason and O'Brian worked out, but missing on Marino wasn't exactly a super great move, but obviously it worked out. Imagine Marino in Buffalo.

John Elway News    QB    Stanford    1    1(1)    Indianapolis
 Todd Blackledge News    QB    Penn State    1    7(7)    Kansas City
 Jim Kelly News    QB    Miami    1    14(14)    Buffalo
 Tony Eason News    QB    Illinois    1    15(15)    New England
 Ken O'Brien News    QB    UC Davis    1    24(24)    NY Jets
 Dan Marino News    QB    Pittsburgh    1    27(27)    Miami

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariDa00.htm 190 more TDs than Kelly and 190 less bottles of wild turkey. I do not disrespect what Kelly did or that he has cancer. I never missed a game and was at every playoff game and 1 super bowl. I do believe that we lost the Giants super bowl, because Kelly called too many passes when Thurman was unstoppable. Best time I had in Buffalo even though we lost 4.

Polian looked at talent and overlooked small schools (Reed), injuries (Thomas), Cocaine and a fat butt (Bruce Smith), country boozing (Jim Kelly buying cases of wild turkey) and had amazing success. All in the Hall of Fame including himself.

My point is that Polian knew to build the team in the draft, make trades and take a QB when the time is right. I agree. Every QB in this draft is risky. Next year almost every team will have a young or veteran QB. Buffalo can build a winner by the summer of 2019 if they are patient and make good choices. Build a stout front 7 and offensive line that can bully teams. An above average QB can win. Unfortunately we have a sick schedule this year and only 4-6 games look winnable at the moment. 

Will Buffalo ever draft a QB in the top 5? We shall see. It has never happened yet.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah but he's pretty out of touch with the game and players of the current era. Plus, he has a reputation as a massive pr*ck to work with. Evidently just a miserable guy and his mood would permeate the entire office. People always felt like they were walking on eggshells around him. 

This is just a theory of my own but I actually think it was the Pegula's who ultimately decided NOT to hire him as their "football czar" after meeting with him and likely hearing how he would want to run things and also seeing just how out of touch he is with the current era. I say this because since then, he hasn't had the nicest or most informed things to say about the Bills. I think it was just before the 2017 season that he referred to the Bills OL as "aging and unathletic" and this was after they had led the league in rushing in '15 & '16. For the record, I'm not concerned about the media spinning negativity about the Bills, I just kinda feel like maybe Polian was really on board to be "the czar" here and after the Pegula's got to know him a little better they were like, "Eh, thanks but no thanks. You can say that you declined our offer if that makes you feel better." 

The Bills OL absolutely is aging and unathletic. He hit the nail on the head with that one.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

The Bills OL absolutely is aging and unathletic. He hit the nail on the head with that one.

Except he said it when they were leading the league in rushing. Dawkins and Groy are younger, John Miller, who should unseat Ducasse for RG this season, is young. Mills is like, 29 or 30... and then there's Richie who's 34 but also happens to be a very good big-bodied athlete. Under Roman's scheme he was constantly pulling and setting the tone in the run game. I just don't see how you can knock an OL that's led the league in rushing for two straight seasons and say the guy is informed. 

8 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Except he said it when they were leading the league in rushing. Dawkins and Groy are younger, John Miller, who should unseat Ducasse for RG this season, is young. Mills is like, 29 or 30... and then there's Richie who's 34 but also happens to be a very good big-bodied athlete. Under Roman's scheme he was constantly pulling and setting the tone in the run game. I just don't see how you can knock an OL that's led the league in rushing for two straight seasons and say the guy is informed. 

We led the league in rushing because we had a mobile QB.

they could draft Lamar Jackson and we would have our #1 QB/ #1 WR tandem for years to come!

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Russ Brandon was actually more successful at drafting than Bill Polian

That's interesting...

He built the Bills Super Bowl teams, got canned by Ralph... went to Carolina and had them in the Super Bowl in short order, then went to the Colts and had them in the Super Bowl twice...

But yeah, he's a total bum! Maybe Russ could sent Polian's gold jacket to the dry cleaners and fetch him a nice fresh coffee while he's at it!

Idk... If we do stay put and don't trade away our picks I would be bummed that we didn't get a QB. However I'd get over it and look forward to A: seeing what McCarron can do fully prepping as a starter and B: how the next generation of talent looks across the team post draft. I'm not totally sold that McCarron is nothing more than a manager... The guy hasn't played much. He started a handful of games as a backup. I know he didn't throw 5 interceptions in 1 half of football when he was asked to either. So he has that over Nate.

After seeing the Jets jump us I'm honestly worried about the Giants holding our feet to the fire because we so desperately want a QB and raping us for all our picks... Then again I have faith in Beane not to overpay or overvalue. If he does pay big I'll assume he really wanted the QB he gets and hope for the best. I guess I'm going to trust this process thing they implemented last year.

2 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

Idk... If we do stay put and don't trade away our picks I would be bummed that we didn't get a QB. However I'd get over it and look forward to A: seeing what McCarron can do fully prepping as a starter and B: how the next generation of talent looks across the team post draft. I'm not totally sold that McCarron is nothing more than a manager... The guy hasn't played much. He started a handful of games as a backup. I know he didn't throw 5 interceptions in 1 half of football when he was asked to either. So he has that over Nate.

After seeing the Jets jump us I'm honestly worried about the Giants holding our feet to the fire because we so desperately want a QB and raping us for all our picks... Then again I have faith in Beane not to overpay or overvalue. If he does pay big I'll assume he really wanted the QB he gets and hope for the best. I guess I'm going to trust this process thing they implemented last year.

Same could be said about garapollo, he never played much and only started a handful of games before the 49ers dealt a 2nd rounder for him, and gave him the freedom to just go out and play and now made him one of the highest paid QBs in the league.......

And who says they don't get a QB? Theres more Qbs in the draft besides the top 4, and they could take Jackson or Rudolph at 12 and have something there too.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Same could be said about garapollo, he never played much and only started a handful of games before the 49ers dealt a 2nd rounder for him, and gave him the freedom to just go out and play and now made him one of the highest paid QBs in the league.......

And who says they don't get a QB? Theres more Qbs in the draft besides the top 4, and they could take Jackson or Rudolph at 12 and have something there too.

Yeah I don't think it's crazy to think"hey maybe AJ can be a decent QB." I see a lot of posters shooting it down like it's ludicrous but I don't really see a reason why. Maybe they watched him through college and all his NFL starts and know something I don't but personally I have some hopes for him IF we get stuck with him, Peterman and like you said any of the other possible QBs they can get outside the top 4. Can't wait till the draft dust settles myself... This time of the year drives me nuts.

Edited by GrizzReaper

15 hours ago, Putin said:

Let me ask you this !! ( example ) 

if we knew today that AJ McCarrone could be Alex Smith 2.0 would you still want to move up to get a QB or just use all our picks to build around him ??

i'd use our draft picks to add talent.

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Russ Brandon was actually more successful at drafting than Bill Polian

How do you even come up with something so ridiculous?

21 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Let's hope he's right.

21 hours ago, Putin said:

Let me ask you this !! ( example ) 

if we knew today that AJ McCarrone could be Alex Smith 2.0 would you still want to move up to get a QB or just use all our picks to build around him ??

I would Build around him but would hope he was a touch better than Smith.

23 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Article is more than 1 year old. Non-pertinent to this upcoming season.

Polian was talking about the 2017 QB prospects, and he wasn't alone in not thinking that class wasn't very good.  What this article does is undermine the posters claiming the Bills missed on their best chance to get a franchise QB in 2017 because McDermott didn't want to make that "big decision".  More likely, the Bills just didn't like Watson or Mahomes enough to draft either in the first round.

The same thing may happen in 2018 if the Bills like only 1 QB and he goes before #12 or if they don't like him enough to pay the cost to trade up.  IMO, if the Bills trade up to #2 or #4 or #5,  it will be on Draft Day to get a specific QB.  If he's gone or they can't find a dance partner, I think they'll stay put.  I don't think the Bills will settle for their 2nd or 3rd choice unless it's at #22.

AJ and any prospective draft pick QB are lottery tickets at this juncture. 

Best case scenario is the Bills have two great young quarterbacks.  Worst case is they are both terrible.

I'm ok with the Bills drafting a QB high so long as some speculative fan/media based quarterback controversy develops the first bad game McCarron has this year.  I think that sort of pressure could derail both men.  

On 3/20/2018 at 7:18 AM, GunnerBill said:

I'd still try and move up if I could get Josh Rosen. There is a reason teams move on from Alex Smith.  He is a really good QB (and I don't actually think McCarron can be Alex Smith v2.0) but he is too limited to go and win you a Championship unless everything around him is not just good but basically perfect.  If I had a QB of a Smith level though then I would not consider anyone other than Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield in this draft. 

Is Alex smith better than Nick Foles? I think so. Good teams win, a QB is just a piece of that puzzle. Develop a system around a competent QB and we can win.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:19 AM, rodneykm said:

My preference would be Baker as well, but I think they'll go for Rosen or Darnold ( or maybe Allen ) instead based on what Beane is looking for in a QB. My hope is that it is not Darnold. 

My preference is Baker as well.  If they go for Rosen (too slender IMO and has injury history), Allen (please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!), or Darnold (I just don't see him as a consistent enough passer to be a good NFL QB - he had good games in college, but had some woofers as well) after trading a lot of picks to move up into a higher position I think they are going to be looking for another QB in 2020-21.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, unclepete said:

Is Alex smith better than Nick Foles? I think so. Good teams win, a QB is just a piece of that puzzle. Develop a system around a competent QB and we can win.

Nick Foles had a near perfect team around him.  That's the point.  The Eagles were loaded last year.  They were only able to do that because they were paying Wentz and Foles combined less than a franchise QB not on a rookie deal would get.  That was the Seattle model for their Superbowl too..... loaded roster, cheap (though very good) young QB. There is almost no way the Bills can build a roster like that around McCarron given our cap position.  The easiest way is draft out rookie and build around him over the next 3 years while he is cheap.  By 2020 maybe we can follow the Eagles model.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nick Foles had a near perfect team around him.  That's the point.  The Eagles were loaded last year.  They were only able to do that because they were paying Wentz and Foles combined less than a franchise QB not on a rookie deal would get.  That was the Seattle model for their Superbowl too..... loaded roster, cheap (though very good) young QB. There is almost no way the Bills can build a roster like that around McCarron given our cap position.  The easiest way is draft out rookie and build around him over the next 3 years while he is cheap.  By 2020 maybe we can follow the Eagles model.   

I believe we can if we hit on our picks. Giving up a years worth of draft picks when there’s no can’t miss Qb I’d risky. Those picks could very well build the Bills nucleus for many years to come. 

HELLO !! That is what i have thought since he came out of the draft & didn't understand why he went in such a late round !!

The guys lowest completion percentage through out his entire college & now NFL career has been no lower than 62% & has went as high as 68% in college not to mention one of a very few QB's that led his college team to back to back national titles !!

But many Bills fans ragged him out (surprise) before he got brought to the team I just hope & can't wait when he gets his chance to prove them all wrong !!

Go Bills ! Go AJ !! 

Edited by T master